Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wells Gardner D9400 or D9800 - questions about use with old game consoles in RGB  (Read 6616 times)

16bit_fan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2008, 08:17:26 pm
Greetings, First post and a long time lurker.

I am thinking about purchasing a Wells Gardner D9400 or D9800 monitor. My primary use of this monitor is to play my old consoles in RGB.  I will be connecting a SNES, Genesis, PS/PS2, N64, Saturn and possibly a MAME PC.  I have a few questions before I purchase it though and was wondering if anyone here would be able to help answer them.

Looking at the manuals for both of these monitors I see that they have 2 types of connectors.  One is a 15 pin D-sub VGA style connector and the other is a 10 pin round connector.

Link to the manual for D9400 - http://www.wgec.com/pdf/Spec/D9400_SPEC.pdf

1. Does it matter which input I use for the listed consoles?

2. Does the 15 pin VGA style input accept 15 kHz signals?

3. Will one input give me a better picture than the other? The older consoles mainly all run at resolutions well under 640 x 480i resolution.

I was hoping to use this setup for the D9400 or D9800.  Console->SCART cable->SCART switchbox-> Keene Syncblaster->SCART to VGA cable->Wells Gardner monitor.  Would this work?  Currently I run the above setup but instead of a SCART to VGA-> WG monitor I use SCART to RGBHV (5 BNC)->Sony GVM-2020 Multisync and it works just fine.  Any help would be much appreciated

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
If it's like every other monitor like these, the only difference between those two connectors is expected input signal levels and input termination.  The HD15 usually expects 0.7-1.0Vpp signal levels and has 75 ohm termination.  The other connector is usually set up for more arcade style 3.3-5Vpp signals into Hi-Z.  For every console I am aware of, the HD15 would be the correct choice.  As a bonus, this connector is usually easier to come by.  Every multisync arcade monitor I've seen will happily accept its full range of input scanrates over both connectors.

As far as resolutions, the monitor frankly doesn't care.  All it cares about is the scanrates.  If it's ~15kHz horizontal and ~60Hz vertical, you're good to go.  Note that the SNES, PS, and N64 (and probably the Genesis and Saturn, but I could be wrong) won't output RGB without substantial modification.

16bit_fan

• Offline Offline
If it's like every other monitor like these, the only difference between those two connectors is expected input signal levels and input termination.  The HD15 usually expects 0.7-1.0Vpp signal levels and has 75 ohm termination.  The other connector is usually set up for more arcade style 3.3-5Vpp signals into Hi-Z.  For every console I am aware of, the HD15 would be the correct choice.  As a bonus, this connector is usually easier to come by.  Every multisync arcade monitor I've seen will happily accept its full range of input scanrates over both connectors.

As far as resolutions, the monitor frankly doesn't care.  All it cares about is the scanrates.  If it's ~15kHz horizontal and ~60Hz vertical, you're good to go.  Note that the SNES, PS, and N64 (and probably the Genesis and Saturn, but I could be wrong) won't output RGB without substantial modification.

Thanks for the fast response.  I thought that the D9400/D9800 would accept 15 Khz over the DB15 input but just wanted some assurance.

The US/JPN SNES, Saturn, PS/PS2, Neo-Geo and Genesis will output RGB out of the box.  The NES, N64, and Turbografx need modification for RGB output.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:01:51 pm by 16bit_fan »

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
PS will?  I know the PS2 will, but I didn't think the original PS could be set up for RGB output.  Didn't know the SNES could either, but I don't think I've ever even touched a SNES.  Then again, I don't mess with consoles much.  I've always been a PC gamer, and most of my arcade setups are actual arcade hardware.

16bit_fan

• Offline Offline
PS will?  I know the PS2 will, but I didn't think the original PS could be set up for RGB output.  Didn't know the SNES could either, but I don't think I've ever even touched a SNES.  Then again, I don't mess with consoles much.  I've always been a PC gamer, and most of my arcade setups are actual arcade hardware.

PS will do RGB output out of the box.  I have SCART RGB cables for all the consoles, including the PS, and let me tell you it looks great in RGB.

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
I was not aware of that.  I'll have to try it some time as I have the cable for use with my PS2.  Several had told me that the original PS had no component output (YPbPr or RGB) at all, so I never bothered hooking it up.

16bit_fan

• Offline Offline
I was not aware of that.  I'll have to try it some time as I have the cable for use with my PS2.  Several had told me that the original PS had no component output (YPbPr or RGB) at all, so I never bothered hooking it up.

PS does Component interlaced out of the box.  If you have a choice, connect via 15 kHz RGB and let me know if you see a difference  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:02:24 pm by 16bit_fan »

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
I notice they're somewhat emphasizing the inclusion of higher grade caps:

105 Degree Capacitors for long life and reliability.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

16bit_fan

• Offline Offline
I notice they're somewhat emphasizing the inclusion of higher grade caps:

105 Degree Capacitors for long life and reliability.

Edited
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:54:08 pm by 16bit_fan »

StephenH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2023, 06:15:45 am
  • I'm a llama!
The site below shows the RGB pinouts for many game consoles.  Not all consoles have RGB out, but the SNES 1, Genesis, Gamecube, X-Box, Playstation, and some others do.  Most console RGB will be 15Khz.

http://www.gamesx.com