Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Making a VGA to TV adapter  (Read 2531 times)

Tom

• Trade Count: (0)
Making a VGA to TV adapter
« on: March 09, 2002, 10:37:47 pm »
Hi, i am building an arcade cabinet and putting a spare PC in it.  I don't have any extra good video cards with a TV out, but I do have a TNT2 Ultra.  So is their any way that I can build a hookup so that it takes a monitor connector, and then switches to the coax or A/V cables.  Any help would be greatly appreciated b/c I can't play many of my games with the card I use now (an old ATI with 2MB of memory)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

StephenH

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Making a VGA to TV adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2002, 01:03:03 am »
Well, you may want to consider several options.

1) There are VGA to TV converter, and VGA to S-Video converters.   These are good for using TVs.   S-Video will generally result in a bit clearer picture with better color depth than standard composite video.    I would advice against using an RF Out (i.e. Channel 3 or 4).

2) You may want to go buy a video card with TV Out.   This may be a good option, because the TV Out is generally better than running through a converter (as above).

3) You may want to consder a PC Monitor in your Cab.    PC Monitors aren't as authentic look, but are easy to use.    I heard the Hansol series looks good for Games.     Wells Gardner also makes some "Arcade Like" VGA/SVGA monitors that work well.   However, installation of any monitor can be dangerous (if it is NOT incased).   With a VGA/SVGA monitor, you will have the luxury and safety of running windows.

4) If you are experienced and serious, and just want to run MAME only, and really want the "arcade look", an Arcade monitor may be for you.    Arcade monitors look like the real thing.   However, there are some serious limitations to consider.    Most arcade monitors run at 15Khz and are difficult to handle, and dangerous inside.   You MUST use advanceMAME, and it is generally NOT safe to run windows (although it can be done under certain circumstances).       If you conisder this option, I recommend a J-Pac.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »