Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Logitech 2.1 speaker system  (Read 4400 times)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Logitech 2.1 speaker system
« on: November 12, 2008, 06:44:05 pm »
Logitech PC speakers:

Some time in the last year I remember someone here posting they got these. I don't recall what thread, nor have a link to it, so thought I'd start my own.

Somewhat echoing the original poster's opinion, I think this set is pretty decent. The thing I cannot stand is 'hyped' speakers/headphones, and these are most certainly not hyped. (Hyping generally means there's a cut in the mids, while the lows and highs are boosted. Makes people think it's loud, but sacrifices headroom and clarity.) Indeed, the mains seem to have a peak in the mids, which makes for a pretty good projection, especially at low volumes. Not a great deal of thump from the sub, but it suffices.

I'm used to a Harmen-Kardon 2.1 system, which has a greater spatial presentation, both in breadth and depth, but this Logitech system has an even aural presence. It isn't in your face, yet at the same time doesn't sound like a blanket's over it. For music it's pretty good, although for games (especially retro, mono audio games) I think it's better.

A bonus is it has a remote control. Though wired, it has a master volume that is software independent, as well as headphone and mic jacks. A very smart and delighting/surprising feature is the headphone jack is a strict pass-through. This means the set doesn't have to be turned on to use it - though it does act like a regular front-panel jack in that it cuts main audio when in use. And of course the power switch is on it, too.

I wouldn'tve minded a few dollars less for shipping and have had to wait a couple days more - the lowest was $12.95 for three-day UPS - but shipping time and care seemed fine. Incidentally, I'd been hemming and hawing for months, as they were at $22.99. Then they went down to $19.99 and I still waited, finally going down to $17.99, but by the time I got off the pot they were back up to $19.99. Ah well.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:07:40 am by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Sardu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2023, 05:45:54 pm
Re: Logitech 2.1 speaker system
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:38:12 am »
I just bought the same ones.  I too was a little put off by the $13 shipping.

Oh well, at least I got them the next day and they sound decent.

Twinpanther

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2016, 02:03:51 pm
  • Yukihime
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 02:36:57 am »
For those interested, BUY.com has these for $24.99 with free shipping.  Saves ya almost $6.

P.S.  Typo at the top of the Buy.com page stating MINIMUM 3 and should be MAXIMUM 3.  I just ordered mine so yes you can order just one.  :)
OMG, where have you guys been all my life?!

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 07:49:08 pm »
Actually a savings of seven dollars. Alas, I should've thought to cross-check.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Games001

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 12:44:04 am
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 01:45:52 pm »
I just purchased these speakers (from NewEgg), at the reading of this review, and found them to be excellent for this, my 4th arcade cabinet build.

$19.99 + $12.79 shipping... kinda insane that you nearly x2 your cost, but this is the horror of online shopping.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:05:52 am by Games001 »

Twinpanther

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2016, 02:03:51 pm
  • Yukihime
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 02:31:20 pm »
I take it you got it from Newegg?  Checking just now, Buy.com has it for $27.18 after tax and budget shipping to my door in upstate NY.  That does mean waiting a week to get it but hey, five bucks is five bucks in this economy, LOL.

I had to use mine for my PC to replace the old Cambridge 5.1's I stole for my first cabinet.  I'm very happy with these.
OMG, where have you guys been all my life?!