Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Quick Question on Lighted USB Trackball  (Read 683 times)

wonkalow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2010, 05:34:41 pm
Quick Question on Lighted USB Trackball
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:35:55 am »
Mine just arrived today, and I realized I didn't quite read closely enough. I was expecting the LED to be wired into the rest of the Trackball wiring, whereas I need to wire it to an external 12v Power source. My fault for not reading more closely. However, upon researching it looks like most people wire these into the PC's Power supply. Being the coward that I am when it comes to wiring up anything that has to do with powering, I was wondering if there's some kind of adapter sold somewhere I could buy that makes this easier?

If not, and for the meantime I'll continue to try to find some good instructions on how to wire it into the power supply of the PC.

Thanks for any advice  :notworthy:

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
Re: Quick Question on Lighted USB Trackball
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:20:57 am »
Im not sure how your wires terminate but I dont think you will find an adapter that will fit into the PC molex adapter.

Have a go at wiring it yourself, it will be good practice for you. Dont worry, you cant really do any harm with 12v from the PSU.

All you need to do is to hook the LED wires up to the yellow (12v) and black (ground) wires of the PC PSU. You could wire them up to a spare female molex plug and then plug that into the male molex from the PSU if you dont want to butcher the PSU.

Check out this [coin door wiring video], it may give you a couple of pointers

Have a go :)

wonkalow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2010, 05:34:41 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:28:52 am »
Great thanks, that video did make it look a lot simpler. I have an extra PSU laying around. Ill give this a shot tonight and see how it turns out.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 11:41:47 am »
Just a side note, if it is a ATX PSU you may have to short the green sense PS ON wire and the black ground wire next to it from the main motherboard header other wise the PSU may not turn on. This is a 'safe guard' to stop the PSU turning on if the header is not connected to the motherboard.

You can either splice the two wires together or make a wire jumper to connect them like this:

You can insert the jumper from either side.