Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Custom Galaga Cabinet for my father  (Read 29176 times)

TalkingBull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2020, 12:38:05 pm
    • TalkingBull Games
Custom Galaga Cabinet for my father
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:04:40 am »
I am planning on building a Galaga mini-bartop for my Pop (It's his favorite game).  Instead of going the way of the PCB, I am going to do this as a MAME Cab for Vertical only games.  I have a question from anyone and everyone before I get started since it impacts the CP design.  Can anyone think of any Vertical games that require more than two player buttons?  I was thinking of only one and then I remembered 194X and some of those have the super bombs as well as the normal fire button... other than that, should I incorporate a third button to be safe?  Also, does anyone have or know where I can get a download of Vertical only games?  I don't want to have to pick through my .128 files in excess of 7K to locate 7-800 games.

As for the cab, I will begin working on it possibly this evening and hope to have it finished soon.  I will post pix as I go through it.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Re: Custom Galaga Cabinet for my father
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:19:46 am »
Punch-Out!! and Gun.Smoke.

Check maws - a quick search says that there are 243 vertical games that use 3 buttons.  Obviously there are are a ton of repeats in the list.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:23:17 am by javeryh »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:20:52 am »
Since it's for your Dad, I would make it look as much like a Galaga with 1 fire button. It will be able to play about 40 games very well.

It'll be easy to use with no confusion. This is what I do. In my profile you can see the mini-galaga I built, to give you some ideas.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:26:15 am »
Since it's for your Dad, I would make it look as much like a Galaga with 1 fire button. It will be able to play about 40 games very well.

It'll be easy to use with no confusion. This is what I do. In my profile you can see the mini-galaga I built, to give you some ideas.

I agree 100%.  The less confusion the better.  I don't know what kind of gamer your dad is but I don't think he will be missing out on much.  One button and a U360 can play Pac-man, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Q*bert and most of the "classics" just fine.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:37:22 am »
I think you are right... one button then.  That would be easiest and I want to make it look as much like a Galaga cab as I can.  Where should I get the sideart?  I have a custom marquee I am making which will be pretty cool but I need to do the sideart and cpo.  I usually get my stuff from http://www.mamemarquees.com but they don't have any for some reason.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 09:39:28 am »

I like your bartop and if I recall correcrly, it's what gave me the idea in the first place.  I have a nice 19" widescreen monitor I am going to use so it will be a bit higher off the table but pretty close to yours I should think.  What front end are you running on that and do you have a list of games?  I usually use GameEx on all my cabs but I think that is 'too much' front end for something like this.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:44:32 am »
Twobits owns the rights to reprint the artwork. You'll need to talk to someone about getting it printed.

19" widescreen is bigger than the original full sized Galaga cab. I would use a 15 or 17, but if your stuck on using the 19" - good luck. I'm sure it'll look good.

I used Mala. It's easy to use and lightweight. You can build the instructions into the Galaga CPO.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:46:23 am »
Oddly enough, the 19" was the cheapest solution.  Initially I thought it would look weird but I fired it up and it was pretty cool.  Thanks for the tips, I will head on over to Twobits and download Mala as well.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 10:40:23 am »
I'll be following this one.  Please post pics of your progress.  :afro:  I'd still go with a second button so you can add the 19XX series and other vertical shumps.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 08:30:17 pm »
Ok folks, I got started this weekend and it is coming along nicely.  I had some problems with Lowes when they cut the last piece of Lexan in the store 2.5 inches too short!  Not I have to deal with that...

After everyone's comments and speaking with the wife, I decided to go with a 1-button, 4-way joystick combo.  The idea was to keep it simple.  If it were for me, I would want access to 6K+ games.  I am thinking 40 will be good for the old man.

Here are some pictures of the progress so far.  I have most of it built; I love these bartops... they take no time at all!  All I have to do is drill the holes on the CP and rig some sort of monitor mount.  Once that's done, I can paint it and wire it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:32:39 pm by TalkingBull »

XeviouS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2016, 08:38:20 am
    • Noah's Arkade
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:10:19 am »
Mmmmm......one extra button will double the amount of games that can be played on it. Once your Dad masters Galaga he might want to expand his shootem' up skills, and when he does that extra button is gonna be there just waiting.....go on, do it!

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 11:07:10 am »
To be honest, I have never seen my dad play anything other than Galaga.  This is going back 25 years...

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 11:18:49 am »
This is just my opinon and you do what you feel is right.  However knowing that he likes Galaga he might like some of the other vertical shoot 'um ups.  If he knows about this project have him try a few of the 19XX series.  That would give you a good idea if he would play them or not.  It is easiest to add the button now though you can plan the layout for the addition at a later date.

Just my $0.02 :cheers:
Kaytrim

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 12:32:06 pm »
I agree with Kaytrim, the 19XX games have fire and loop buttons. I don't think 3 buttons is really that much to begin with. Gives your pops many more options for very little cost and effort.
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

XeviouS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2016, 08:38:20 am
    • Noah's Arkade
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 03:09:31 pm »
Your Dad might also have buddies visiting that did play more than Galaga, you wouldn't want to disappoint your Dad's buddies would you? :-[

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 03:28:11 pm »
I considered what everyone said but I still think that the simplest solution will be best for him.  I wanted to do a dedicated JAMMA cab but overall, it would have been more expensive... especially since I had the spare PC lying around.  Here's my CPO.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 03:43:49 pm »
I thought as much.  Leave him alone guys.  I said that it his decision to make.  I like the look of the CPO TalkingBull.  Full speed ahead. :cheers:

Kaytrim

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 04:36:05 pm »
I considered what everyone said but I still think that the simplest solution will be best for him.  I wanted to do a dedicated JAMMA cab but overall, it would have been more expensive... especially since I had the spare PC lying around.  Here's my CPO.

I think you might want to put the instructions on the top part of the CPO and the flying aliens on the bottom part of the CPO.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 05:45:49 pm »

I think you might want to put the instructions on the top part of the CPO and the flying aliens on the bottom part of the CPO.

I actually modeled my CPO off of yours and I tried to put the instructions on top.  It didn't really work with the overall size and button combo.  In the end, I didn't think it mattered since I know my dad knows how to play it.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 08:15:22 pm »
I actually modeled my CPO off of yours and I tried to put the instructions on top.  It didn't really work with the overall size and button combo.  In the end, I didn't think it mattered since I know my dad knows how to play it.

Cool.

Before you actually send it off for printing, maybe print it on regular paper and make sure the artwork isn't covered up by the buttons and joystick. I had to put some extra space around the arrows for the joystick since I used the joystick washer on top of the CPO.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 08:44:41 pm »
I did that earlier.  I like the way it looks...  I noticed the arrow and text problem around the joy and plan on putting up and down arrows as well as removing the text.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 08:57:36 pm »
I did that earlier.  I like the way it looks...  I noticed the arrow and text problem around the joy and plan on putting up and down arrows as well as removing the text.

That looks like it should be pretty sharp. I think it would be pretty slick if you ditched the "Midway Mfg" info on the bottom and put something else on there. Like, maybe something your dad always says "If you ain't gonna do it right" type slogan or maybe a "Made by YOUR NAME for his dad"

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 12:44:50 pm »
Looking good.

If you are looking for some more ideas, did you see my Galaga themed bartop? Similar shape, similar artwork...

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 04:36:48 pm »
Yeah, I saw yours when I was in my planning stages.  I actually ripped off your background and incorporated it into the GameEx Theme I am building.  I think I also took some images from your grafx but I don't recall for sure.  The overall size of my cab looks to be much larger than everyone else's but that's more to do with the monitor (19")

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 09:14:36 pm »
Well I am pretty much finished with the whole thing.  The contruction is complete but I still need to route it for T-Molding so I can't pain it yet.  I ordered the CPO and Marquee but haven't decided on the sideart (Cost).  I went with a black border for the bezel to cut costs as well.  Yesterday and today has been spent mostly getting the software up and running.  I can't get the damn disclaimers to go away for some reason though so that has been pretty annoying.  You may notice the marquee (Temporary paper) says Halaga.  That's because my dad's name is Hal and well... you can figure out the rest.

Some more pix of the build as well as my daughter playing Frogger with about as much skill as a 98 year old blind woman.

All the construction pics I took are at Picasa: http://picasaweb.google.com/JonathanHKantor/PopSGalagaCabinet#

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 11:25:29 am »
I finally got the router bit I ordered so I was able to get the groove cut.  With that out of the way, I got to painting.  Three coats of primer and I am on my 5th coat of black.  Should have it all completed today and will just need to do the CP.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:27:51 am by TalkingBull »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 11:39:39 am »
Looking good.  :cheers:

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 03:58:53 pm »
Well the cab is pretty much completed.  I drilled the holes and installed the CP (Still waiting on the CPO) but it is otherwise done.  I got some marquee retainers from Mameroom.com that work great and I can't wait to get the real marquee (Which will have a black background; didn't want to waste my ink).  I am also going to order the sideart but modify it with the 'Halaga' logo.  For now, I am screwing with the software.  I am going with GameEx because I use it on all my cabs and I am most familiar with it.  I edited my gamelist down to 49 games which I listed below.  Can anyone think of any more games that I should include?

Arkanoid
Arkanoid - Revenge of DOH
Burger Time
Centipede
Dig Dug
Dig Dug II
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong 3
Donkey Kong Junior
Eight Ball Action
Frogger
Galaga
Galaga '88
Galaxian
Gaplus
Gyruss
Joust 2 - Survival of The Fittest
Jr. Pac-Man
Jump Bug
Kangaroo
Millipede
Minefield
Mr. Do!
Mr. Do's Castle
Ms. Pac-Man
Pac-Man
Pac-Man Plus
Pac-Mania
Phoenix
Puckman
Q* Bert
Q* Bert's Qubes
Qix
Scramble
Sky Fox
Space Bomber
Space Invaders
Space Invaders '95: The Attack Of Lunar Loo
Space Invaders II
Space Invaders Part II
Super Pac-Man
Super Qix
Super Space Invaders '91
Super Zaxxon
Tempest
Time Pilot
Tron
Vastar
Zaxxon

I know it is a little OCD of me but I wouldn't mind throwing one more game back on... 49 games is just NOT a round number!!!

I had to add two little red buttons on either side of the CP to make it easier to exit/enter.  I need to keep it as simple as possible.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 04:20:17 pm »
Looks good!  I LOVE Lady Killer but it is an adult game (seriously, the gameplay is great and I really wish they made a clean version).   :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 04:23:10 pm by javeryh »

fronty

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 04:20:52 pm »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:55:42 pm by FrontyDev »

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 06:23:30 pm »
I added Ladybugs and now I am up to 50!  That wasn't so bad... Once I had the list, I just had to go and move every other ROM into another temp directory (Makes GameEx work faster/better when updating).  Now I just need to make vids of each game and I will be done with the software.  Then it's all about decorating this thing.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 06:35:23 pm »
On a monitor that size, horizontal games would look fine.

Zoo Keeper
Mario Bros
Joust

How do you plan on playing some of the games with the spinner or trackball controls?

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 06:36:55 pm »
I tested them out and the Arkanoids are ok with a joy... Tempest.. not so much.  I will try some horizontal games tonight and see how they look. 

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 07:13:25 pm »
The Horizontal games aren't bad.  they look small in comparison to the vertical games but I just had to add the following:

Mario Brothers
Popeye
Puzzle Bobble
Zoo Keeper
Joust

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 07:18:32 pm »
The Horizontal games aren't bad.  they look small in comparison to the vertical games but I just had to add the following:

Mario Brothers
Popeye
Puzzle Bobble
Zoo Keeper
Joust

If the screen is behind tinted glass, it's not even that bad.

What joystick are you using?

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 07:20:08 pm »
An absolute piece of crap red ball-top wanna-be 4 way.  It is really an 8-way.  I ordered a generic galaga/Ms. Pac-man stick which should arrive soon.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 07:22:39 pm »
Ok. How do you plan on playing these games:

Zaxxon
Super Zaxxon
Qbert
Qbert Cubes
Kangaroo
Tron

Maybe I'm missing something?

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 07:26:33 pm »
Well the QBert games are fine, you just need to tilt your arm so that you can match the 45 degree thing.  As for the others, I am going to keep it on 8-way by removing the restrictor.  Just makes it easier.

When I really think about it, my dad will probably play Galaga on this and nothing else.  The other games are more for me when I come over ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:48:42 am by TalkingBull »

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 12:02:16 pm »
I can't get Mario to work for some reason.  I am guessing that the file I have (mario.zip) is corrupt somehow.  Can someone post their copy for me please?

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 12:12:07 pm »
I can't get Mario to work for some reason.  I am guessing that the file I have (mario.zip) is corrupt somehow.  Can someone post their copy for me please?

That is against the rules of this forum.