Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game competition # 6: Joust  (Read 14616 times)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Game competition # 6: Joust
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:54:44 pm »
Game competition #5: Mame - Joust

- parent set (joust - white/green lable) , default settings, no cheats

- use any mame version or variant you wish

- last day is November 18th (around midnight Pacific time)

- high score wins (a tie means there's more than one winner)

- no savestates, savestate practices, etc during the round.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
Re: Game competition # 6: Joust
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:55:46 pm »
Curious, I was just playing this last night after a spell away from it.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 11:57:45 am »
save states allowed between rounds?  I dont have significant amounts of time to play and I have a knack for having a great game going then have to leave :/
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:18:06 pm »
I guess I'll draw first blood.

This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

DaveStall

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2021, 05:56:25 am
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 09:51:03 pm »

Well, I guess I'm out!  I love this game, but I have always sucked at it.

Dave

Todd H

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:58:49 pm
  • It's Gameday!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 09:57:03 pm »

Yikes. I can usually score 100,000 - 200,000. Can't touch that score however.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

and last blood  :notworthy:

my all time best is less then 250K
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Scottk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2023, 11:16:12 am
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:39:36 am »
No kidding!

How the heck did you get such a High Score???

I wasn't aware of any patterns or ways to run up the score in Joust...

DaveStall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 12:29:57 pm »
Download a replay from the MARP site and watch how the good players do it.  There are some tricks to get points, but for the most part it is just skill like the other classic Williams games (Robotron, Defender, etc.).  Robotron I can do, but Joust and Defender have always owned me.

Dave

drawfull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2012, 09:30:14 am
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 12:51:04 pm »
(+-+) - how many times did you die? As if the answer's none, that beats the MARP score by about 100k IIRC

MARP employ a no additional men rule as the game is too marathonable. Not by me, but apparently it is  ;D I suck at it too - lucky if I break 150k  :-\

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 01:52:26 pm »
Should also add to the rules that frameskip must be to auto.
If you force MAME to draw every frame on a slow computer, it will play in slow motion, making it much easier.

NO MORE!!

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 03:30:19 pm »
No kidding!

How the heck did you get such a High Score???

I wasn't aware of any patterns or ways to run up the score in Joust...

Nope. No patterns or tricks (ie the teradactyl trick which is a sinfully boring and monotonous trick anyways). Just a lot of flapping around and jousting higher than the enemies.  ;D

(+-+) - how many times did you die? As if the answer's none, that beats the MARP score by about 100k IIRC

MARP employ a no additional men rule as the game is too marathonable. Not by me, but apparently it is  ;D I suck at it too - lucky if I break 150k  :-\

I died a whole bunch of times. I'm a little rusty though. I am familiar with the 900,000 some odd points MARP high score you are referring to. I've never tried to beat it though. I'm quite sure I've come close. I used to roll the game (10, 000, 000) points quite regularly.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 08:15:19 pm »
I do remember in the initial stage of starting the comp series discouraging MARP-class players. I also had a feeling smiley would pick another game he was absurdly good at. But there are terms limits. And truly the comp is more about playing and sharing scores and such.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 10:07:16 pm »
LOL. Absurdly. I'll take that as a compliment. Your right. If I do win, I'll choose something I suck at for the next game. That way I'll be forced to excel at some new games. Sorry everybody.

drawfull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 04:14:41 am »
I do remember in the initial stage of starting the comp series discouraging MARP-class players. I also had a feeling smiley would pick another game he was absurdly good at. But there are terms limits. And truly the comp is more about playing and sharing scores and such.

I know you mentioned that this wasn't like MARP when I questioned settings in one competition, but st the end of the day we would all pick games we were competent at if given the choice.

I can't really remember how the MARP comps worked but I think the organiser picked each game (Or maybe there was a vote) - either way the participants get to play lesser known titles sometimes and that adds to the fun.

I would disagree to an extent with your last sentence in that while there is no prize for winning, most people I would guess post scores with a view to doing just that. Sometimes, like now, someone is certain to be leaps and bounds ahead of what other members here can do, as seems to be the case here.

LOL. Absurdly. I'll take that as a compliment. Your right. If I do win, I'll choose something I suck at for the next game. That way I'll be forced to excel at some new games. Sorry everybody.

But finally, if a player is as good at a game as (+_+) is ^^^, then good luck to them imho.  :)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 12:10:40 pm »
I might have a score to post. Let me look when I get home.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 08:38:55 pm »

Note I said there are terms limits. This means that after the second consecutive win the following comp game pick defaults to the second highest scorer of the current round. It hasn't been publicized since the first or second round but it's still in effect.

I know you mentioned that this wasn't like MARP when I questioned settings in one competition, but st the end of the day we would all pick games we were competent at if given the choice.

Not necessarily. Though it was a voting circumstance, five choices of gradually diminishing vote points, I've put games in the first slot that I wasn't very familiar with.

I would disagree to an extent with your last sentence in that while there is no prize for winning, most people I would guess post scores with a view to doing just that. Sometimes, like now, someone is certain to be leaps and bounds ahead of what other members here can do, as seems to be the case here.

Yes, that's the habit, but as there are no player levels or divisions, it's not really relevant. However, if people want to change the set-up, feel free to create a special thread on this and we'll see what comes out.

I might have a score to post. Let me look when I get home.

Yes, do.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:49:21 pm by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 09:34:36 pm »
This is as good as it gets from me with Joust. Not QUITE close enough... heh.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 07:49:56 pm »
Nice. I think my top is close to that, but average maybe 40 or 50k.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2015, 10:37:58 am
    • NonMAME - The ultimate site for the OTHER arcade emulators!
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 09:39:14 am »
Ok, so if my avatar isn't enough of a giveaway, Joust has been my all-time favorite game since 1982.  I really dig the pure elegance of this game, served well by the gravity-induced balletic fights with the enemy.  It is NOT, however, a game I'm particularly good at (see attached - my highest ever).  I'm better at games like Time Pilot and Elevator Action.

I do know some strategies that have helped me get decent scores, like flapping vertically fixed in the right "column" whenever possible, and dragging the enemy down to the bottom when you're pinned in that area.  Any other strategies from anyone else would definitely be helpful.

Shoegazer
NonMAME: Your best source for the OTHER arcade emulators!
http://nonmame.retrogames.com

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 12:20:22 pm »
One of my favorite tricks is to kill the blue guys up against the bottom right shelf. All you need to do is time the blue guy when it is flying on the bottom from right to left. As soon as it is about to leave the left side, you double flap (flutter index finger and middle finger across the button to fly upward much quicker) and continue to flap against the ledge. You'll notice that you slide up the ledge as you continue to flap because of the angle. The blue guy will violently slide up the ledge as soon as he exists the right side. Because you are higher, they almost always die first.

Note: pretend the grey guy is a blue guy in the screenshot for the sake of argument. The yellow line shows the sliding direction. The red line shows that you are always slightly higher than the blue guy. Don't do it with red or grey guys. It doesn't work the same at all.

Does anybody know the trick on how to slip through the crevasse between the 2 shelves in the screenshot?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 12:25:47 pm by (+_+) »

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 01:01:12 pm »
That's a great tip, thanks.

Yes, in order to squeeze between the two right-hand plaforms you just approach them from the left side of the screen as if your emu's body would hit the platform rather than it's legs.  You skid across, and when you get to the other side you squeeze through the two right-hand platforms, killing anything underneath.  Use that one all the time, but a useful tip nonetheless.

Shoegazer

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 03:54:40 pm »
Otherwise known as... the belly flap. Nah, I just made that up.

Another couple of very handy tips.

1) This is to be done only on the higher levels when there are only Shadow Lords (blue guys). Levels where the middle, bottom most ledge is gone, you can hover about an inch below the ledges on the right and left and kill blue guys with ease. They spawn from the bottom spawn point and sort of vear slightly to the left or right as they zoom out. Don't go too high or you risk them vearing too far and missing them. Worse yet, if you go too high (above the left and right ledge) all of the higher Lords will spawn and reek havoc on you. If done correctly, you end up with 2 Lords on each upper shelf and you just let them fall to their doom where you position yourself and kill them both with a mere flap or 2.

2) You can also strategically fly as close to the ceiling as possible and kill off Lords since the make big bounces off the ceiling initially. You just need to time it correctly and make small left/right adjustments and voila a dozen eggs. It isn't easy at first but it is very effective and does look cool to the amateur eye. It can get you out a bind if a teradactyl shows up and you need to flee the bottom. This is also done only on the higher levels and doesn't apply to the Red and Grey guys. These bastiges hug the ceiling almost pixel perfectly.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:36:10 am by (+_+) »

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »
Some of you guys are crazy good. I've only played Joust a handful of times. I think  my absolute best game is around 55k. My average is around 25-30k.

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 04:07:46 pm »
Very nice!  When I was in high school I remember these two guys (both named Dave) who would play at our student center, and everyone always gathered around them whenever they did.  They were damn good, both of them.  I remember them doing that trick you just mentioned, flapping towards the top, though there was always something a little different about it I could never quite duplicate.  Now I know.

Thanks bro...

Shoegazer

DaveStall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 09:59:28 pm »
Well, I still can't hang with the masters but I did have a 115K game tonight and I did something that I never thought was possible.  I had a tough time on one of the Pterodactyl boards and a second one came out to tell me I was taking too long.  I actually killed both of them in mid air with the lance to the open mouth!  I have done one before out of desperation, but never two.  I wish I had been recording this one.

Dave

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 11:46:49 pm »
Love it when stuff like that happens.  It's what makes the game so great.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 11:56:05 am »
Well, I still can't hang with the masters but I did have a 115K game tonight and I did something that I never thought was possible.  I had a tough time on one of the Pterodactyl boards and a second one came out to tell me I was taking too long.  I actually killed both of them in mid air with the lance to the open mouth!  I have done one before out of desperation, but never two.  I wish I had been recording this one.

Dave

The easier way to accomplish this is to kill the teradactyl while it is gliding along at the same height for a couple of seconds. You'll see that it'll do that and switch its height every now and then. It sometimes goes straight for a time and then jerks up or downward. That is the worst time you can do it.

An easy way to score a 1000 is to leave an egg to the right of the crevasse I was talking about earlier. Stand on the right side of the egg and wait for a teradactyl to come along. As soon as it brushes up against the ledge just below the split in the 2 shelves, you make a run for the egg, bounce off the higher side of the shelf (which causes you to turn around running through the other side of the screen. In the meantime, since you have picked up the egg, the teradactyl flees the level. If your timing is correct, you'll end up killing the teradactyl every time somewhere on the legde on the other side. You need to do this when all enemies have been killed.

Ok.  ::) I'll draw a picture.

DaveStall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 01:47:04 pm »
That's a great tip.  I saw that trick watching one of the MARP replays.  Watching those guys play the game is a lesson in humility.

Dave

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 10:48:36 pm »
That's a great tip.  I saw that trick watching one of the MARP replays.  Watching those guys play the game is a lesson in humility.

Dave

I wouldn't say that. Just a lesson in personal capability. I played the real arcade game some time ago, and height adjustment was easier. A simple flap rhythm, that I can't replicate in mame, allowed hovering.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 07:47:16 am »
Which version of MAME are you using?  It's about as close to perfect as it gets these days...

Shoegazer

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 11:11:07 am »

Dave

I wouldn't say that. Just a lesson in personal capability. I played the real arcade game some time ago, and height adjustment was easier. A simple flap rhythm, that I can't replicate in mame, allowed hovering.

That's funny you should mention that about flapping. I know the game like the back of my hand and I noticed something fishy. I don't know if my timing is off or what but I can't seem to be able to take a running start from one ledge and with one flap make it to the other ledge. I'm talking about the large gap between the second level of ledges from left to right. I remember having to jump at the very tip of the ledge and hold the flap button when pressed to ensure it was a complete flap and not just a flutter.

I'm going to try it again tonight. In the back of my mind, I joking thought "Ahh, it's because I'm using a widescreen display so the distance is further".
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:13:06 am by (+_+) »

DaveStall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 12:36:18 pm »
That's funny you should mention that about flapping. I know the game like the back of my hand and I noticed something fishy. I don't know if my timing is off or what but I can't seem to be able to take a running start from one ledge and with one flap make it to the other ledge. I'm talking about the large gap between the second level of ledges from left to right. I remember having to jump at the very tip of the ledge and hold the flap button when pressed to ensure it was a complete flap and not just a flutter.

I'm going to try it again tonight. In the back of my mind, I joking thought "Ahh, it's because I'm using a widescreen display so the distance is further".

I can believe it.  I know MAME has these games emulated very well, but I have noticed little differences in some games as well.  I have an actual Robotron machine in my basement next to my MAME cabinet.  My joystick spacing on the MAME machine is identical to the Robotron, although the sticks themselves are U360s as opposed to Wicos.  A bad game for me on the Robotron is anything less than one million points.  At the same settings I find it difficult to break one million regularly on my MAME machine.  I still claim the game doesn't slow down the same in MAME as on the real hardware, and perhaps something like this happens with Joust as well.  I'm not complaining about MAME, but I swear some things are just different.

Dave

Vash

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2016, 03:31:09 pm
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 05:49:37 pm »

May I make a suggestion?  Pang! (Buster Bros. is the US title), Galaga/Gaplus, Arkanoid, and Dig Dug would all be fun choices IMO. 

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 12:36:36 pm »
No not Galaga, Im "Absurdly" good at that one too. Any of the others sound good but it isn't my choice the next time around anyways. I look forward to whatever is picked next anyways.

BTW. I pressed a little harder on the flap button last night and was able to make it all the way across from one ledge to the other. It seemed I had to jump a bit earlier than I remember. Perhaps the widescreen does play a small role in my judgement due to the stretch.

drawfull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 02:32:12 pm »
No not Galaga, Im "Absurdly" good at that one too. Any of the others sound good but it isn't my choice the next time around anyways. I look forward to whatever is picked next anyways.

I vote Hyper Sports (cough cough) or Arkanoid :P

Who's second at the moment?  :blah:

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 02:50:31 am »
I'm playing Tournament Arkanoid somewhere's else, so wouldn't prefer that one, if possible.

Hovering: I just tried again on both .104 and .128 .  The latter might be easier, but still not as easy as I remember in the real game.

Robotron slows down for me when I get to the second brain stage, and then in other later similarly object-saturated levels. I think Joust does too when there's so many birds in flight, but that's at maybe level nine, up.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 03:29:08 pm »
No not Galaga, Im "Absurdly" good at that one too.

Galaga may not be a bad choice, since so many people like it. I've played a few decent games in my time.

Some suggestions:
Rush'n Attack
Mario Bros.
Marble Madness
Time Pilot
Gyruss

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 05:25:30 pm »
I'd also like to add Ms. Pacman (with speed hack) to Lew's great list.  I'd really like to put my new 4-way to the test.  :)

~ D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2008, 09:47:33 pm »
You already mentioned that.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking