Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Has anyone ever figured out the Joshua OS from Ultracade?  (Read 34283 times)

davidrfoley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 06:00:38 pm
  • Former Evil Corporate Overlord
Re: Has anyone ever figured out the Joshua OS from Ultracade?
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2008, 06:09:14 pm »
Well, regardless of my ownership of UltraCade, giving out proprietary information about the OS would violate NDA's that I have signed. 

It's really simple though.  If your goal is to have a fast loading OS for a system, go grab an open source DOS.  Joshua is in many ways just like DOS in functionality and performance.  The OS was built with a very narrow field of hardware and applications to support, so it isn't hampered by loads of drivers and the kernel can be very efficient.  I'm willing to bet if you took FreeDOS or an equivalent, and setup a MAME machine, you'd find that the performance of Joshua could easily be matched. 

If you are looking for a wide base of hardware support, there are some scaled back versions of Linux that can be loaded from BOOT ROM's and they can get fairly quick in loading too.  The boot time is very cool and appealing, and will always be compromised in the name of hardware compatibility.

Loopey1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2023, 06:48:52 pm
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 09:36:30 pm »
Would you be willing to at least share the contact info of the Creators? There input would be invaluable to me.
I do have an Idea for this "type" of OS that is geared to a specific type of hardware, and if they could provide me with any "do's and Dont's" while compiling a Small fast Kernel. I was looking at the FreeDOS OS and I think with the proper tweeking that might work fine.

As we are in the Arcade section I think you can guess what I am pondering. Super Fast, Menu Driven Game FE.
Basically Ultracade, but no need for all of the security or Key code disks ect...
Yes this will be a lot of work for my own personal unit but I have 2 MAME machines and a Ultracade Cab. Hands Down for Speed and function the Ultracade wins Hands Down. Boot time is almost to fast, and right to the FE menu.
As this project was already done by your company, and is now defunct, ripping into it just to see how things work, never crossed my mind as wrong to do.
Hope to hear from you again.

lkench

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2014, 04:53:43 pm
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 01:16:52 pm »
Well, I am still plugging away on this. I actually spoke to the OS creator,  Adrian Thewlis, yesterday. This is what I got. The OS was a completely Scratch Built OS, it was not based on anything, I am sorry I can not be any more help, but this OS is still used by the Military in some of there embedded devices.  So back to digging. I hope to call him again, and maybe get something out of him.

The military connection would explain the Joshua name then...interesting...

-lkench

pickle me stupid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2009, 01:38:46 am
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 08:43:32 pm »
anyone been able to read the game.pak file?
yowzers

Loopey1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2009, 10:01:53 pm »
The .GAM file is interesting in itself. Here is what I found it to contain. ROM info, Screenshots, Wheel marquee, and a Video for the FE animation. But the PAK file from what I know is the way the game knows whats installed and "upgrades" the .GAM files. So basicly the PAK is the upgrade or install exe for the game sets.
Yes, I am still plugging along with this "project" Once I get an Idea in my head its hard to get it out.
I found an old HP XE783 Computer laying on the curb and wouldnt you know it has the Intel 810 Chipset, and it does load The Software. That is my new tinker toy.
I am in the prosess of installing my new work PC so most of my time has been spent buying new parts software ect... So I do apologize for not posting any updates.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2009, 03:59:54 pm »
I don't think that many are very interested, but by all means, continue.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2009, 04:50:04 pm »
I don't think that many are very interested, but by all means, continue.

speak for yourself. its of no use to me, but i am VERY interested.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

davidrfoley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2009, 05:52:34 pm »
The .GAM file is interesting in itself. Here is what I found it to contain. ROM info, Screenshots, Wheel marquee, and a Video for the FE animation.

Close.  The FE animations are all generated from artwork and scripts, not video.  The only video in the machine was MPG2 video for the advertisement and credits.

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2009, 07:43:02 pm »
I just happened to come across this thread looking for something else but it is very interesting. I to would be curious as to what you find out about this.

Any news on the OS you mentioned you were going to create?

Encryptor

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2009, 08:56:03 pm »
Well, regardless of my ownership of UltraCade, giving out proprietary information about the OS would violate NDA's that I have signed.

I'm not convinced he actually cared. :lol

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2009, 04:33:34 am »

I'm not convinced he actually cared. :lol

He may be too worried about obtaining soap with a small loop of nylon rope attached...  :-\
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

delta88

• I didn't try to trick anyone - Fair warning was given
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2022, 09:53:16 pm
  • This place is still here?
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2009, 11:14:18 pm »
Your telling me that someone is trying to crack some arcade hardware in an attempt to possibly archive it and make it playable on multiple computer machines? Possibly even emulate it?

WHy would you want ot emulate old hard/software? 

LAME!! ;)

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2009, 11:28:38 pm »

LAME!! ;)

It's spelled MAME. LAME is different. Sheesh, get your program names straight!  :P
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

eckenroed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2011, 11:27:58 am
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2011, 11:25:24 am »

[/quote]Mr Foley--I am trying to get an old arcade game going.  I have the installation CD for the Hyperware CPU and the CPU has been repaired and is working.....My issue is the installation disk is looking for a 1.44 floppy.  Do you who would have the startup floppy or a copy?  Is this CD damaged since it is looking for this?  Please let me know.  Thanks for your reply.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:33:44 am
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2011, 06:01:40 pm »
I have find this interesting all the time, having a non Microsoft or crappy Linux Os that boots fast and plays nice, not to mention its flashy as hyperspin (i know hyperspin was made to simulate ultracade) seems great.I  know some folks have tried to discover the same in the past with no luck or they got stuck.So all i can say to you loopey1, its please dont give up.I cant help you on programing as i dont have any skills on that, but where i live there are tons of old computers laying around if you need anything special i can try to locate that for for you, but dont give up.Right now alot of folks here at the forums say they are not interested but IM SURE AS HELL that if somenthing like this comes out, averyone its goin to start building their emulation cabs with this kind of OS as it would be way much better then xp,win7,ubuntu,even mac or anyother os for non emulation purposes...Good luck  :cheers:

davidrfoley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2011, 06:17:04 pm »
Win 7 embedded with an SSD is getting quite fast, and if you look at some of the new BIOS options, you can boot a modern day computer into an application as fast as we could using the old jOS.  Also, know that jOS was written to only support a very few number of chipsets, and was not expandable to any modern video chipsets.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2011, 11:20:41 pm »
Win 7 embedded with an SSD is getting quite fast, and if you look at some of the new BIOS options, you can boot a modern day computer into an application as fast as we could using the old jOS.  Also, know that jOS was written to only support a very few number of chipsets, and was not expandable to any modern video chipsets.
Win 7 embedded still microsoft, i imagine we still need a licence or like most of us (even people that think you suck, not me tho) a pirated version of microsoft either xp or 7 or 98. And as far as getting a modern video chipset, that woudnt matter to me as i dont run newer emulated or console games, just the regular old school ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, maybe neogeo as well...But ill give win7 embedded a try ,thanks.

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2011, 11:51:55 pm »
I'm not sure how Linux is inappropriate or "crappy" in this application.  A properly stripped down Linux system can be booted to a running X11 application in about 5-10 seconds from the time the BIOS hands control over to the bootloader.  There are production arcade games (PC based) that run on Linux that pull this off, and that's on a conventional hard drive.  An SSD should be somewhat faster, though not much.  I've built embedded devices running Linux that go from power applied to usable X11 in about 3-4 seconds, a good chunk of which was reading it from flash into RAM.  XIP can get rid of that step, but it isn't applicable to a PC.

Linux is also free.  You don't need a license or anything like that.  Heck, you've got the source code, should you feel compelled to hack on it.  You've also got drivers for most modern hardware.

Yes, Fedora and Ubuntu boot kinda slowly sometimes.  Don't mistake that as an issue with the kernel or other low-level components of a Linux system.  They're starting a whole bunch of crap you honestly don't need on something that isn't a general purpose desktop.  If you're talking about running a stripped down OS for just one purpose, Linux is VERY readily stripped if you know what you're doing.  I might recommend starting with a bare bones Debian setup (and I do mean bare bones - use debootstrap).  A new Xen VM boots to a (text) login prompt for me in about 5-7 seconds, including Xen's startup time and a 1 second delay on PyGRUB, with no tweaking.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2011, 01:22:21 am »
I may exagerate on the linux suck statement, but really, show me an arcade linux system that runs as flashy as hyperspin or ultracade and ill take my comments back. Most arcade distros look crappy as Advancemenu wich runs on linux (kinda)....

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2011, 02:50:31 am »
Well, if your complaint is that there's no flashy MAME frontend explicitly designed to run on or compatible Linux, then that's your complaint.  It has nothing to do with the OS, though.  It's simply that nobody's written a frontend that runs on Linux and meets your eye candy requirements.

You could certainly make a very flashy frontend that runs on Linux.  You've got all the OpenGL eye candy you want.  Given that you're talking about comparing it to a proprietary, custom designed system with its own frontend (the Ultracade), this option can't be discounted.  The OS itself (kernel + low level tools/libs) can very easily be made quite suitable for this application.  It seems much easier to start here than trying to reverse engineer JoshuaOS or similar.  If you want a Windows centric build, I'd suggest you stick with Windows, but don't complain about licensing and such: it comes with the territory.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2011, 04:21:30 am »
Well, if your complaint is that there's no flashy MAME frontend explicitly designed to run on or compatible Linux, then that's your complaint.  It has nothing to do with the OS, though.  It's simply that nobody's written a frontend that runs on Linux and meets your eye candy requirements.

You could certainly make a very flashy frontend that runs on Linux.  You've got all the OpenGL eye candy you want.  Given that you're talking about comparing it to a proprietary, custom designed system with its own frontend (the Ultracade), this option can't be discounted.  The OS itself (kernel + low level tools/libs) can very easily be made quite suitable for this application.  It seems much easier to start here than trying to reverse engineer JoshuaOS or similar.  If you want a Windows centric build, I'd suggest you stick with Windows, but don't complain about licensing and such: it comes with the territory.

This isn't true... sorry....

Just like windows, with linux or any non-embedded, hardware-specific os... the more things you add the slower it gets.  So while a stripped down version of linux will indeed boot up fast, by the time you add all of that junk in it won't. 

With that being said, using a proprietary OS for a emulation cabinet is still a pretty dumb idea.  You guys aren't seeing the forrest for the trees.  Sure you might get a nice interface, but what are you going to play on it?  Do you want to port MAME and every other emulator, simulator, pc game and support application to this custom OS?  Can you?

Because if you were inquiring simply to understand how to use the interface or how to build your own based on it then these would be major concerns.  If, on the other hand, you were actually inquiring in order to run the system as-is without paying for it, then that's piracy and we don't talk about, nor do we give advice, about how to steal things at byoac. 

I'm not judging, I'm just saying.....  try another forum if you are into that stuff.

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2011, 05:41:24 am »
I can tell you that it is possible to boot Linux to an X11 application using OpenGL, ALSA, etc. in a usable state in about 5 seconds.  Pump It Up does it (FWIW, the various versions take varying amount of time, ranging from about 5 on the fastest ones to about 12 on the slowest ones).  The bootloader takes about 1 second to load the OS and game program off the hard drive, it sits there for about 4 seconds visibly doing nothing (the OS is starting), then the Andamiro logo pops up, and the game is ready for a coin.  On free play, the title music even plays immediately and prompts you to hit the start button (which is actually the center panel of the dance stage).

Having extensive experience with the OS, I can tell you I'm not at all surprised.  The biggest bottleneck is getting everything read off the hard drive and into RAM.  With a few simple tricks, you can make this all happen sequentially (which is fast); then everything runs out of RAM.  The kernel only takes about 0.75-1 second to start (on a modernish PC) and hand control off to init, at which point you're in full control of what happens by how you contruct your startup scripts.  You don't really need to load much for a dedicated MAME machine other than maybe udev and an X server.  udev takes about 1-1.5 seconds (including the time to load all the drivers it loads), and the X server takes about another second or so if everything's in RAM already.  It's tough to measure since the monitor generally takes some time to change video modes.  udev also isn't strictly required, but it makes things a lot easier, especially for users who aren't overly familiar with Linux.  If your frontend and MAME build are designed to draw directly to the framebuffer (as most of what X offers isn't really needed, here), you don't even need X.  Heck, you might be able to get by without init: just have the kernel start your frontend directly!

For an emulation scenario, your ROMs and previews would have to load off the hard drive at this point (just like most arcade games load up their actual game assets directly off the drive), which will slow things a little bit, but you should be able to get a frontend up within 5 seconds after handing control over to the bootloader from the BIOS.

Remember, Linux is regularly used as an "embedded" OS.  Many many TV set-tops, in-car entertainment systems, handheld devices, children's toys, wireless routers, etc. run it without your knowledge.  Extensive development goes into making it as easy as reasonably possible to run in a minimal environment.  We're talking 100-300MHz CPUs with 16-32MB of RAM.  Your 3GHz PC with a gig of RAM is an absolute monster in comparison.  I've seen boot times on embedded targets of less than a second when using XIP from NOR flash, though these are usually "headless" applications.

Now, I will agree that the process of stripping down Linux to the point I'm talking about may not be easy for someone not familiar with it.  You're not going to be able to grab Ubuntu or Fedora and get the kind of start-up times I'm talking about.  You really have to go the other way: start with something as minimal as possible and add on to it, and this is in fact probably beyond the abilities of the average arcade hobbyist, especially one who is not well versed with Linux systems.

I don't know how much it's possible to strip down Windows.  The commercial arcade games and other semi-embedded products I've seen that run on Windows suggest that the answer is "not much", but then the developers may just be lazy.  I've seen boot times (BIOS done to OS starting the first application, though Windows does the "I'm still loading stuff in the background thing") on the order of 15-20 seconds for the most stripped down builds.

I'm not trying to rag on Windows too badly, here.  While I can't say I'm a fan of Windows in any capacity, it is very familiar to most users while Linux is not, and Microsoft has made quite a bit of progress on its usability in "PC embedded" environments.  However, Linux (or one of the BSDs) seems like a great option for someone who wants a fairly customizable base and doesn't want to deal with licensing costs.  It certainly seems like a better option than trying to reverse engineer an old OS that was never meant to be overly flexible and probably isn't licensed in such a way that it's free to use, anyway.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2011, 10:00:18 am »

Hey Dave, how'd that court case shake out?  Last time I took a glance at the documents, it looked like your lawyer was filing every motion he could to delay trial so at least you were in competent hands.

stfu and start a new topic, this is about something ealse....

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2011, 10:11:01 am »
If you're looking to improve boot times, you could always go with something overkill like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227664
Sequential Access - Read    up to 740MB/s
 >:D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2011, 02:03:21 am »
I can tell you that it is possible to boot Linux to an X11 application using OpenGL, ALSA, etc. in a usable state in about 5 seconds.  Pump It Up does it (FWIW, the various versions take varying amount of time, ranging from about 5 on the fastest ones to about 12 on the slowest ones).  The bootloader takes about 1 second to load the OS and game program off the hard drive, it sits there for about 4 seconds visibly doing nothing (the OS is starting), then the Andamiro logo pops up, and the game is ready for a coin.  On free play, the title music even plays immediately and prompts you to hit the start button (which is actually the center panel of the dance stage).

Having extensive experience with the OS, I can tell you I'm not at all surprised.  The biggest bottleneck is getting everything read off the hard drive and into RAM.  With a few simple tricks, you can make this all happen sequentially (which is fast); then everything runs out of RAM.  The kernel only takes about 0.75-1 second to start (on a modernish PC) and hand control off to init, at which point you're in full control of what happens by how you contruct your startup scripts.  You don't really need to load much for a dedicated MAME machine other than maybe udev and an X server.  udev takes about 1-1.5 seconds (including the time to load all the drivers it loads), and the X server takes about another second or so if everything's in RAM already.  It's tough to measure since the monitor generally takes some time to change video modes.  udev also isn't strictly required, but it makes things a lot easier, especially for users who aren't overly familiar with Linux.  If your frontend and MAME build are designed to draw directly to the framebuffer (as most of what X offers isn't really needed, here), you don't even need X.  Heck, you might be able to get by without init: just have the kernel start your frontend directly!

For an emulation scenario, your ROMs and previews would have to load off the hard drive at this point (just like most arcade games load up their actual game assets directly off the drive), which will slow things a little bit, but you should be able to get a frontend up within 5 seconds after handing control over to the bootloader from the BIOS.

Remember, Linux is regularly used as an "embedded" OS.  Many many TV set-tops, in-car entertainment systems, handheld devices, children's toys, wireless routers, etc. run it without your knowledge.  Extensive development goes into making it as easy as reasonably possible to run in a minimal environment.  We're talking 100-300MHz CPUs with 16-32MB of RAM.  Your 3GHz PC with a gig of RAM is an absolute monster in comparison.  I've seen boot times on embedded targets of less than a second when using XIP from NOR flash, though these are usually "headless" applications.

Now, I will agree that the process of stripping down Linux to the point I'm talking about may not be easy for someone not familiar with it.  You're not going to be able to grab Ubuntu or Fedora and get the kind of start-up times I'm talking about.  You really have to go the other way: start with something as minimal as possible and add on to it, and this is in fact probably beyond the abilities of the average arcade hobbyist, especially one who is not well versed with Linux systems.

I don't know how much it's possible to strip down Windows.  The commercial arcade games and other semi-embedded products I've seen that run on Windows suggest that the answer is "not much", but then the developers may just be lazy.  I've seen boot times (BIOS done to OS starting the first application, though Windows does the "I'm still loading stuff in the background thing") on the order of 15-20 seconds for the most stripped down builds.

I'm not trying to rag on Windows too badly, here.  While I can't say I'm a fan of Windows in any capacity, it is very familiar to most users while Linux is not, and Microsoft has made quite a bit of progress on its usability in "PC embedded" environments.  However, Linux (or one of the BSDs) seems like a great option for someone who wants a fairly customizable base and doesn't want to deal with licensing costs.  It certainly seems like a better option than trying to reverse engineer an old OS that was never meant to be overly flexible and probably isn't licensed in such a way that it's free to use, anyway.

I don't disagree with anything that you've said... that's why I was pretty vague with my answer.  By "adding stuff on" I didn't specifically mean adding bits to the starup procedure or any one thing specifically, I meant adding things to a FE that is going to run in a generic linux environment, other emulators, ect....And also the OS, but not specifically it. 

As you said, there is a big difference between possible and practical. 

Linux's biggest hurdle isn't the OS itself but rather it's software support.  Many emulators today flat out don't have a linux version, and forget about front-ends and support programs.  Heck even MAME, the stoic stand-out of cross-compatability has many of it's features crippled in the linux build.  Wanna use mame's output system?  Not in linux.  And this has nothing to do with linux's inability to do such things, in many instances linux can do it better.... but software developers, including mame devs, aren't really interested in writing things for a OS that doesn't have many benefits over windows in this particular application. 

It's one of those "you could" vs "you will" deals. 

I could write a custom OS in pure assembly that would boot up instantly, but I'm not going to simply because you would have to either integrate all the emulators into it or write new emulators from scratch. 

The people that are willing to work with linux when it comes to this hobby typically aren't versed enough with it to do the kind of things you are talking about in terms of programming and configuring.  So the linux fe we get are either ugly or run in X or something, making for a terribly slow bootup, sometimes slower than a stock windows build. 

Windows isn't actually slow in terms of bootup at all if you have the proper hardware and set it up properly.  The problem is most people don't set it up properly. 

I've got a classics cabient I setup and it's bootup is darn near perfect inho.  I haven't set there with a stopwatch but it's pretty darn snappy. 

First off I'm using an old dell p4... the kind you typically see an an office environment.  They have insainely fast bios boots, which believe it or not is typically the longest part of a windows bootup.... this is all on the bios, windows has nothing to do with it.  The machine has an arcade monitor in it that turns on as the pc is turned on.  By the time the monitor is warmed up you see the windows boot screen.... never see the bios, it's perfect. 

Then it sits at the boot screen for maybe a second or two, sits at the windows desktop for maybe 5 seconds or so and you are instantly into a custom FE that I wrote specifically for the machine. 

The reason it boots so quickly comes down to a few things:

I'm running XP...... no other windows version is better suited than XP.  You get the stability of 2000/xp without the bloat of vista/7. 

I have everything related to the desktop turned off.  Even having several icons on the desktop (regardless of if the desktop is hidden or icons are turned off) will increase the boot time dramatically. 

I have zero "registered" programs and file types on the pc.  By registered I mean anything that would make an entry in the windows registry.  25-50% of a windows bootup time involves reading the stupid registry. 

Networking and internet access is flat out disabled.  That's another 10-20% of your boottime as windows tries to find your domain/workgroup even if the cable is unhooked. 

I have one harddrive in it and few few folders on it.  Windows does all kinds of crazy stuff in regards to searching disks when it boots.  Thumbnails also slow a system down, those typically need to be disabled as well.

I mean could it be faster?  Sure.  But considering the monitor has to warm up before I can play anyway and the FE has to get all it's ducks in a row as well I don't think it could get THAT much faster regardless of the software and pc hardware.  If I was that impatient I wouldn't have the patience for this hobby anyway. 

And as much as I like the idea of a mame machine that boots up instantly in theory, in parctice it isn't all that useful.  I mean myself when I want to play I turn it on, and leave it on until I'm done playing and then turn it off.  I don't walk over, turn it on to play a single game of pacman, then turn it off when I'm done and come back 5 minutes later only to turn it on again to play mspacman.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 08:50:20 pm »
If you're looking to improve boot times, you could always go with something overkill like this:

yowza  :dizzy:

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2011, 05:40:15 am »

yowza  :dizzy:

I just popped a new SATA SSD in the laptop I'm writing this from that is benchmarking at 230MB/S reading/writing. Running Win7, going Desktop->reboot->Desktop is around 20 seconds. At least 10 of that is just BIOS screen crap.

btw your new sig about gave me a heart attack the first time I saw it. I thought someone had logged into my machine with VNC.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2011, 05:52:22 am »
better yet, has anyone figured out the "dreamarcades patented arcade technology that NO ONE ELSE HAS!" :laugh: I am sure lot of you saw his cabinets on ebay.

he pretty much says he invented mame................................

I am shocked that no brought his azz to court. I dont have anything against people selling mame cabinets all configured and ready to play. but telling people its YOUR "patented arcade technology" is where you are crossing the line.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:53:53 am by SNAAKE »

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2011, 06:10:52 am »

btw your new sig about gave me a heart attack the first time I saw it. I thought someone had logged into my machine with VNC.

Heh heh heh heh.

I thought SDLMAME was Linux-based?

Also, people who worry about XP licenses these days are way tuned out.

My machines boot into FE in less than 45 seconds, without an optimized version of XP. I don't consider that a long time to wait. I'm not surfing the net waiting for a page to load.

I like to have network access on my arcade machines so I can alter, add, or copy files (like game snaps for a comp or something).

Lastly....well, I guess all the Linux front ends have disappeared.
-Banned-

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:31:21 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2011, 12:30:49 am »

I just popped a new SATA SSD in the laptop I'm writing this from that is benchmarking at 230MB/S reading/writing. Running Win7, going Desktop->reboot->Desktop is around 20 seconds. At least 10 of that is just BIOS screen crap.

That's what I got booting my DOS Mame Machine  :applaud: :applaud:
In 20sec, my FE is up and running....Oh.....did I mentioned how long my SHUTDOWN process is ? It takes less than a second  :applaud:  :applaud: :applaud:
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2011, 04:20:27 am »
I didnt know those ssd drives are that fast

maybe its time  to get one ???

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2011, 05:34:32 am »

That's what I got booting my DOS Mame Machine  :applaud: :applaud:
In 20sec, my FE is up and running....Oh.....did I mentioned how long my SHUTDOWN process is ? It takes less than a second  :applaud:  :applaud: :applaud:

I'm surprised it even takes that long for a DOS based mame machine. But, much like a properly configured linux based mame machine, the problem comes down to available emulators. If I want to run almost anything other than MAME, I'm tied to Windows or a more heavily laden Linux config. :\

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:31:21 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2011, 10:58:54 am »
Yea I know what ya mean. If you want to upgrade, you are forced to upgrade too.... So i have decided long ago to stick on my configured DOS Advmame, but if I got the itch to play GUN type games like  HOTD series, maybe I'll just build another but this time, WINDOWS based MAME.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:00:31 am by Thenasty »
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2011, 11:54:05 am »
Yea I know what ya mean. If you want to upgrade, you are forced to upgrade too.... So i have decided long ago to stick on my configured DOS Advmame, but if I got the itch to play GUN type games like  HOTD series, maybe I'll just build another but this time, WINDOWS based MAME.

but when it comes to boot times and the like, this can really be avoided on a properly configured windows cab by putting the system into Sleep or Suspend mode instead of a full shutdown. On my cab the powerbutton->hyperspin time is faster than the time it takes my monitor to power up and the powerbutton->"off" is probably close to 3 seconds, again from within hyperspin.

Measured with a Kill-A-Watt, asleep the cab draws around 8 watts of power, including speakers still powered on, but volume all the way down, and two Coin Door Replacement buttons lit up.

MaddogK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 01:32:48 pm
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2011, 08:56:01 pm »
Mr Foley, are you still posting here ?
Any chance you can PM me the GPID code(s) for the dozen or so gamepack CD's I purchased for my personal Ultracade over the years ? GlobalVR refuses to generate ANY codes for any gamepack CD's other than the basepack, or anything they currently don't have licenses for. I can generate the install code if I had that 3rd field from the keygen launcher, for my own use ONLY. I'm in the business so I have the keygen legally.

I lost the games when I upgraded from the Sumicom PC to the Graphite, can you help or suggest someone that can ?

Thanks,

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2011, 10:24:51 pm »
I can generate the install code if I had that 3rd field from the keygen launcher, for my own use ONLY. I'm in the business so I have the keygen legally.

::) kay

Loopey1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2011, 08:36:58 am »
Mr. Foley,
I know your Buisy, but if you could,
  Would you please PM me of shoot me an E-Mail.
  I would like to ask you a Question or Two, if I may.
Thank You.
  Darren

chun li

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2017, 02:32:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2017, 02:32:42 pm »
Hi new here. Was wondering since Chicago gaming is no longer in business, if all the stuff applies. Can the arcade legends USB be cracked so I can build a new system? Without the original HD

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2017, 03:06:27 pm »
i'm just going to go ahead and say no.

as far as I know, chicago gaming is still operating. either way, the IP still belongs to someone.

overall, the whole ultracade/supercade/arcade ledgends etc. thing is all gray area when it comes to legality. some of the systems contain IP belonging to companies who did not give permission to use the games.

at this point in time, the whole os is a lost cause due to it's super proprietary nature and hardware lock.

davidrfoley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2017, 03:13:51 pm »
Your statement " some of the systems contain IP belonging to companies who did not give permission to use the games." is simply untrue.  UltraCade and Arcade Legends were fully licensed machines.  The OS was developed by JoshuaOS and was licensed from them.  The engine was a combination of internally developed IP by the team at Quantum3D, then HyperWare, then UltraCade Technologies and the Joshua programmers.  The game packs came in multiple forms, all legally obtained:
- direct licenses with manufacturers
- sub-licenses from OEMs
- use of licensed ROMS packaged for PC systems that were readable by the UltraCade/Arcade Legends System
- direct ROM purchases of legacy motherboards

As for cracking the game packs or the OS, it was purpose built to prevent such things from being able to be done. 

The UltraCade 3.0 release has moved away from the JoshuaOS to another custom OS, and the hardware has moved away from Intel to ARM processors.