Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: p90x  (Read 60763 times)

shateredsoul1979

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2011, 01:09:28 pm
Re: p90x
« Reply #440 on: July 28, 2011, 05:58:24 pm »
I definitely feel like my clothes feels better, but it's taking a while. Sometimes I am put in situations where I do have to eat out.. the hard part is making the right choices when I do that. ha ha.

that guy in the vid 206 @ 511... man I was at at that not too long ago. Must keep going. For those interested, we should do a competition thread. Or something, to see who gets closer to their goals. 

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #441 on: July 28, 2011, 06:04:01 pm »
I've been training like a mad man.  Wife and I are expecting baby number two any day now, I lost all that weight before right after baby number one.  I am currently training for the Mens Health Urbanathlon in San Francisco - 9 miles and an obstacle course.  Started training hard this week.

I hear you on the eating out, it can be tough, but most places have something healthy on the menu.  Stay strong.

The hardest part is that after you lose about 20 lbs, a lot of people slack off.  They figure "hey, i just lost 20lbs, I can take a break" and then they slip into old habits.

Easiest way to get things done and stay on track
1- make it a priority to be healthy.  Hard to make excuses for your top priority
2- have a fitness goal.  Sign up for a run or triathlon or bike ride.  have it be out of town.  Get buddies to do it with you.  Now you have to get in shape or you risk making an ass out of yourself in front of your buddies and wasting all that money.

Dartful Dodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #442 on: July 28, 2011, 07:35:42 pm »
Even for a family of 6 it's faster, cheaper, easier and healthier to make turkey or peanut butter sandwiches then to drive to McDonalds, order then drive home.

People (or the people that feed them) choose to be fat.

I have no excuses for my weight. Up until shmokes revived this thread I would tell myself I don’t have time in the morning to make a sandwich. Now that I’ve been bringing lunch I only spend 20 minutes at lunch instead of an hour, so I get off work 40 minute earlier.

Now I just have to convince myself to use those 40 extra minutes to work out.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #443 on: July 28, 2011, 07:40:09 pm »
yeah, the easiest way to do it is make it a priority and make it convenient.

Seriously though, if you are having motivation issues, sign up for a 10k that is like 2 hours away from your house, plan a weekend around it.  Then you are committed.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #444 on: July 29, 2011, 09:21:25 am »
I started really picking up my cardio and running distances when this thread came back.  Not because of it but around the same timeframe.  I ran a Warrior Dash in June and the biggest obstacle was my cardio.  I promised myself that wasn't going to happen next time.  There is a Spartan Race coming up at the same location and I've been knocking off cardio this summer like I rarely have.  I've always been a lifter but have never put a lot of emphasis on cardio as an adult.  Now I am.  I haven't changed my diet substantially other than cutting out alcohol.  I had a tooth issue that kept me eating light for a couple of weeks and that helped.  I'm down 3% bodyfat since the start of July to 21%.

I found the races do help stay motivated with cardio.  I'd do it anyway but I feel like I work a little harder with a deadline.  It doesn't have to be out of town and I don't need buddies.  In fact I gave up on finding training partners because they are unreliable and demotivating.  It takes enough focus to get over one's own excuses.  I don't have the energy to deal with the excuses of others too.

I also have lifting goals for 2011 of getting back to benching my bodyweight 10x and squatting 225 20x.  I'm almost there with the bench and I'll focus on the squatting once I'm up to 5 miles on my distance runs.  I won't be too far off the squat goal but it would be too much to be squatting and increasing the running in the same week.

shateredsoul1979:  Get a bioimpedance bodyfat meter.  They run anywhere from $25 up.  I have an older version of this one.  Just remember to only use it every 3-4 weeks.  If you've done the work you'll feel the difference in the waist of your pants.  If you didn't the meter is only going to tell you what you already know.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:28:10 am by ChadTower »

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #445 on: December 14, 2011, 05:50:12 pm »
Who out there is still P90-Xing it up?

I have found myself to be in the worst shape of my life just recently so I've decided to give it another go do it for real this time!  I'm on day 3.  I'm embarrassed to say that I was only able to make it about half way through day one but 2 and 3 I was able to go all the way.  Damn you and your pushups day 1!
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #446 on: December 14, 2011, 06:01:50 pm »
I bought a couple 36 waist jeans last weekend because I no longer fit into my 34s.

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #447 on: December 14, 2011, 06:33:58 pm »
I bought a couple 36 waist jeans last weekend because I no longer fit into my 34s.

I had to buy a couple 38 waist jeans cause I no longer fit into my 34s...   :'(
Pictures are overrated anyway.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #448 on: December 15, 2011, 10:18:57 am »

I had to buy a couple 38 waist jeans cause I no longer fit into my 34s...   :'(

The 36s are tight, but I'm trying the wishful thinking diet.

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #449 on: December 15, 2011, 12:34:10 pm »
Holy Hell!  I thought "Chest & Back" was hard, Yoga X is insane!  They say that you should make small goals that can be accomplished along the way.  Mine is now to be able to complete Yoga X.  Right now I can do about 30 min.  :(
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #450 on: December 15, 2011, 12:39:21 pm »
Holy Hell!  I thought "Chest & Back" was hard, Yoga X is insane!  They say that you should make small goals that can be accomplished along the way.  Mine is now to be able to complete Yoga X.  Right now I can do about 30 min.  :(
Have you tried plyometrics yet?  Yoga is a beast too.  I got thru chest and back along with the one on arms fairly well.  The cardio was killing me in plyo though.

Keep at it though as it does (eventually) get easier.   :cheers:

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #451 on: December 15, 2011, 03:00:32 pm »
As you start approaching the halfway point in Yoga you will seriously consider saying, "---fudgesicle--- this!" Fight that urge. At the halfway point it switches from moving postures to balance postures. The first half is about 75% more difficult. If you can push through it, the second half will be a comparative piece of cake.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #452 on: December 15, 2011, 05:30:52 pm »
As you start approaching the halfway point in Yoga you will seriously consider saying, "---fudgesicle--- this!" Fight that urge. At the halfway point it switches from moving postures to balance postures. The first half is about 75% more difficult. If you can push through it, the second half will be a comparative piece of cake.

This is what I like about this work out. Tony is either really lucky or he had lots of test groups.

He seems to say exactly what you're thinking.

Almost halkway through Yoga when you are just about to quit he tells you to hold on for a few more minutes because the second half is easy.  ...and he's right.

He also got it right the first time I did this and in the warm up I think I said to my friend that this warm up sucks, and as soon as I said it he says something like the warm up is killing you...

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #453 on: December 17, 2011, 05:15:41 pm »
Question on protein shakes and the like...  Drink one after every workout or just the anaerobic ones?  I ask because my understanding of protein shakes is that you should drink them to help rebuild the broken down muscles and after the Plyometrics disc and Kenpo I don't feel like I've broken down anything.  I've been drinking them anyway until now because I figure it can't hurt anything but I guess I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks by not drinking them if there is no point.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #454 on: December 18, 2011, 09:49:17 pm »
Question on protein shakes and the like...  Drink one after every workout or just the anaerobic ones?  I ask because my understanding of protein shakes is that you should drink them to help rebuild the broken down muscles and after the Plyometrics disc and Kenpo I don't feel like I've broken down anything.  I've been drinking them anyway until now because I figure it can't hurt anything but I guess I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks by not drinking them if there is no point.

It depends whether you're doing Beachbody brand or something else. If you're doing Beachbody brand recovery drinks I think they want you do drink them after every workout.   ;)
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #455 on: December 22, 2011, 08:25:51 pm »
...you get through plyo and don't feel like you've worked your muscles enough? Tony thinks you're doggin' it.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #456 on: December 23, 2011, 06:22:04 pm »

I got through p90x but didn't lose much weight.  Probably because I followed up my workouts with 2 beers and a ham sandwich.   :laugh2:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #457 on: August 03, 2012, 09:08:16 am »
time to necro bump this?

I started this up again, I was up to 217lbs. I changed my diet (ie I stopped eating garbage) for a few weeks then started the work outs. I havent had soda or canned iced tea in a week.  I finished Day 4 yesterday, got all the way through Yoga X, and I'm sorta lookin forward to working out tonight despite still being sore. In fact instead of resting on sunday, I think I might do the Xstretch. Right now Im hovering around 200lbs my long term goal is 190 or be at 200 with more mass/muscle. I cant get too big cause Im a ginger and I dont want to look like carrot top.

I'm not in the best shape of my life but in about 85 more days I think I might be. Posting on here is my little way of motivating myself to keep going.

I drink a myoplex protein shake after every work out, BTW
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

jmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #458 on: August 03, 2012, 10:58:08 am »
 :applaud: :applaud:
              That's great. Sadly I like many bought the P90X and it's now collecting dust somewhere.  :cry:
The good news is I started working out again but don't want to start to P90X just yet. I don't mind exercise and working out with weights but my hardest thing is to eat healthy.

I want to bench 200lbs by the end of this month. (my B-day is 8/26). We skip going out to eat at work with some co-workers and hit the gym, the building where I work has a gym we can use.

Keep it up.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:49:01 am by jmike »

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #459 on: August 03, 2012, 11:46:25 am »
I think I might do the Xstretch.

In my opinion, never miss an Xstretch. It's no less a rest from working out than doing nothing. But you feel so much better than if you did nothing. Moreover, it makes a big difference in your performance in the other workouts, especially Yoga and Ab Ripper.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #460 on: August 03, 2012, 01:39:13 pm »
I had planned on starting this again this week but haven't gotten to it.  Maybe Malenko's post will help motivate me to do something.

Funny comment about carrot top BTW.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #461 on: August 08, 2012, 02:19:36 pm »
I have been doing "Insanity" since the end of February with only 2 weeks off for the birth of my daughter and another week of vacation.  I've lost about 12 lbs. total but my clothing sizes have shrunk considerably (to the point I had to throw everything out).  In January 2011 I was at my highest weight ever (234lbs. - I'm 6'0").  I started dieting and exercising on the treadmill (no weights) and in 1 year I lost about 45lbs. of fat to get down to 190 which I thought was my "natural" weight since that is what I typically weighed give or take since college.  Then I started insanity and lost another 12lbs. to get down to 178lbs. which feels awesome.  I'd like to get down to 170lbs. and maintain it but the last 10lbs. are always the hardest.

It is hard to keep up though - I can feel another rut coming on but I don't want to stop so I force myself out of bed every day.  I'm also out of energy by the time I leave work which has contributed to my almost 2 year lay off from working on any arcade projects.  I guess you can't have it all.   

:dunno

jmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #462 on: August 09, 2012, 10:04:50 am »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Great job! That Insanity looks really tough. Keep at it.

:cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #463 on: August 09, 2012, 01:56:52 pm »
Did you know there's a P90X2 ?

Anyways 1/9th done (aka 10 days in). I'm down to 195 and I can actually do pull ups now. I'm looking forward to YogaX. Its really tough to work out this week cause Im working 70 hours :/
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #464 on: August 09, 2012, 02:20:42 pm »
Did you know there's a P90X2 ?

Anyways 1/9th done (aka 10 days in). I'm down to 195 and I can actually do pull ups now. I'm looking forward to YogaX. Its really tough to work out this week cause Im working 70 hours :/

Nice!  I hadn't gone through this thread in a while because, frankly, this summer I did a lot more working on games than on myself.  I need to change that soon.  Last year I ran the Warrior Dash, Spartan Race, and Metro Dash.  This year I made a lot of beer runs. 

As of two months ago I could still run 5 miles in about an hour.  I could still bench 225 8x.  I'm sitting at about 220-225b right now.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #465 on: August 09, 2012, 03:04:21 pm »
My workplace just had done a biggest loser thing that I joined in on. It worked out well for me since I am a competitive guy. I didn't really do any physical exercise beyond my normal activity level, all I did was portion control, stopped eating after 8:30, and swapped out Coke for water during the day. In the 12 week period I lost 28 pounds and won.

Now all I have to do if figure out what to buy myself with the $320 I won.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #466 on: August 09, 2012, 04:12:42 pm »
My workplace just had done a biggest loser thing that I joined in on. It worked out well for me since I am a competitive guy. I didn't really do any physical exercise beyond my normal activity level, all I did was portion control, stopped eating after 8:30, and swapped out Coke for water during the day. In the 12 week period I lost 28 pounds and won.

Now all I have to do if figure out what to buy myself with the $320 I won.

$320 buys a lot of Big Macs...

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #467 on: August 09, 2012, 04:17:29 pm »
 :laugh2: I'm sure enough to gain 28 pounds.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #468 on: August 10, 2012, 01:11:04 am »
That's 28 pounds you're gonna need if you wanna win again the next time around!

Best Kid iPad Apps

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #469 on: August 10, 2012, 01:04:09 pm »
Just did "pure cardio" this morning... ugh, that one is the worst.