Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game competition #5: Mame - Robotron 2084  (Read 22793 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Game competition #5: Mame - Robotron 2084
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2008, 01:36:44 am »
Those stationary electrodes are brilliant. I've crashed into them one too many times. Better off shooting them if you can. Sometimes, I can swear I didn't see it when the going gets tough and suddenly your dead only to realize you crashed into a bloody electrode.

That's a sick score...

One thing I keep seeing is things hiding behind other things, but due to the way the graphics are handled, you end up not seeing the things on the lower layer.  Kind of a flickery black box that covers what's below it until you destroy that enemy.  I don't know if this is a MAME issue, or whether the original did this as well.  I'm using an older version, so it's possible that it's a graphic thing that's since been fixed. 

What is really happening is you were running along "thin" and suddenly became "thick".

I never really considered that aspect, but I know exactly what you are referring to.  I think there's a good possibility that this, as well as what I mentioned above, has contributed greatly to my "electrode problem".  I never seem to give them a wide enough berth and kind of see them as a lower threat since they aren't actively trying to kill me.  This complacency is certainly a good part of the problem.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2008, 10:14:54 am »
Thanks you RT!

Did you notice I still had a full deck of men lined up. My wife started heckling me for supper, so I pressed pause and the game is still waiting for me. You've got to love that.

As for "things hiding behind other things", this has always been the case. I've never noticed any "black box" effect on the original or any of the mame versions I've played. What version are you running?

And complacency is bad. It's very fast paced and hectic most of the time which means you have to ready and alert all the time.

Is it me or is getting out of a prolonged, hectic situation by the skin of your teeth elating?
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2008, 11:09:46 am »
My wife started heckling me for supper, so I pressed pause and the game is still waiting for me. You've got to love that.

Heh, don't you lose that Robotron zen mojo that Eugene Jarvis referred to when you stop and come back to a game like that?

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2008, 01:12:19 pm »
Yes, but I'll get my zen mojo back after a wave or 2 and start kicking its behind again until my wife starts nagging about supper or some other nonsense. It's better to stop at this point for many reason's which you married couples out there can fully understand.

councilface

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2021, 05:21:26 pm
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2008, 01:35:05 pm »
My record, using Happ supers on MAME is 225,000 ish. My Girlfriend has recently beaten the 100,000 barrier so maybe she will have the top female score.

I'll get screenshots when I get in from work and post the exact figures.

IMHO this is the best videogame of all time. As far as Im concerned nothing comes close. Maybe it has something to do with using the left and right side of the brain at the same time?

Oh yeah, anyone that gets above 300,000 :notworthy:

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2008, 02:36:57 pm »
I have a theory that certain men do much better at this game... especially the single guys.
 ;D
NO MORE!!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »
I've never noticed any "black box" effect on the original or any of the mame versions I've played. What version are you running?

Maybe it's in my head.  It's an old version of smoothmame .071u2  (ok, stop laughing)  It seems to work well on the machine it lives on, so I tend not to mess with it.  Might be time to upgrade  ;D

Is it me or is getting out of a prolonged, hectic situation by the skin of your teeth elating?

Not only that, but Lisa can always tell when I'm playing.  She mocks the angry strings of profanities she keeps hearing (and she's usually in another room).  This is the only game that gets me that worked up!

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2008, 04:31:10 pm »
 :laugh2:

That's hilarious. I swear, demean myself (such as "How could you crash into that you stupid #@!* monkey") and laugh out loud when I get away with murder. It's one of the few games that really gets me going on so many levels. And to believe it's almost 30 years old.

My wife just rolls her eyes at me.

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2008, 05:58:33 pm »
My all time high score is 12,278 (mame32 0.96 defaults I think).  Go me.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2008, 09:18:08 pm »
Magnetization thing: I think it's something in the code relative to collision detection. Notice how the grunts move in clips? I think it's similar to player movement: if you don't reverse before the next clip - which may be related to how the game refreshes or something - then it's too late, even though you know you hadn't touched it yet, and the frame closes.

9 wave special: recently, I have sometimes taken diagonal directions, especially when charging groups of enforcers, and it has worked to my advantage. Yes, their shots are seekers. The best defence I've found is moving in a very tight quick circle and moving on in another direction from previous. Move in a line and it'll almost always get you.

overlayed objects: this is just how the game is. They're like non-interactive particles that can pass through each other, and you're anti-matter.

pausing the game: sometimes I don't do as well when I come back. Sometimes I do as well or better. If I'm totally relaxed AND up to speed with the rate of the game, I'm golden.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:19:53 pm by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2008, 11:18:38 pm »
Ummon, I believe collision detection is an additional issue that compounds the problem. Take a good look at the hulk. It is about 1 1/2 times as wide when it is facing you as it is when in side profile. If the code is written so that the bounding rectangle surrounds only the visible part, then it would instantaneously appear that you got sucked onto the hulk if it happens to turn wide all of a sudden. Grunt clipping is especially noticible at higher difficulty settings. Sometimes it appears as though they leap on you.

You actually need to break out twice to perform a 9 wave special and not just diagonally. I need to youtube this move.

I continued my game from the other day on level 10 and ended up with just over 6,000,000 points. I'm getting back in Roboshape.

I have my doubts about you score SithMaster. It can't end in an 8.  ;)

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2008, 02:15:28 pm »

I have my doubts about you score SithMaster. It can't end in an 8.  ;)

In my defense I played the game and then remembered this topic.  By that time I was iffy on the exact number.  Sigh.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2008, 05:47:57 pm »
Ok here's an mng file for download. What a pain in the neck this was just to show off a 9 wave special. I ended up having to rush getting to a nine wave and in the process hardly picking up any humans just to be able to get in in under 2 minutes. Why does MNGer stop at 2 minutes. Geeeez.

Hope it works.

If it does, note on the 9th wave the way I break out of the grunt pack to the bottom of the screen, proceed into the bottom, right corner and then break through the grunt pack a second time diagonally. It sometimes looks as though the grunts are melting on you as you go through a second time as you tunnel through. This one was ok, but I've seen far nastier ones.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nwdz0vze21m

councilface

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2021, 05:21:26 pm
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2008, 12:37:20 pm »
OK, my highscore which I achieved today is 247,000 ish my Girlfriends is 117,000 ish.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2008, 09:42:45 pm »
Smiley: well, it doesn't matter too much what it is, as the strategy remains to not get to close. I don't know what to do with that mng file.

By the way, I added wrong so the comp is a day longer than two weeks. I think I'm tapped out, but my score isn't tops anyway. I'll have to look to see who is, though I suggest that person figure out what they want to play next.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 10:04:43 pm by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2008, 11:14:52 am »
You can view it with MNGer.

http://tomspeirs.com/mnger/

Click on the page link
Download version 1.51 (860KB)

drawfull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2012, 09:30:14 am
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2008, 12:47:11 pm »
(+_+), I think you have the highest score from reading back. What you gonna pick for the next game?

I'm too young  :burgerking: and could only manage about 175,000 at Robotron which was an improvement over my old scores. Alas the game is a few years before my time  :dunno

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2008, 02:13:49 pm »
How about Q*Bert?

drawfull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2012, 09:30:14 am
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »
I think we had that before  :dunno

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2008, 06:34:12 pm »
Ok joust then. If not, then nibbler.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2008, 06:37:56 pm »
I vote Ms. Pacman, but the "Speed Hack" version...  I'd love to test out my new 4 way!

~ D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

SithMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2008, 09:19:48 pm »
I just got 15,400.  That's got to be top three, at least.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2008, 09:49:24 pm »
I don't consider smiley a real competitor in this comp because he's at the MARP level....but whatever. Joust is fine by me.

Del: I won't play it, but you can pick it if you win one.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking