Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Cabinet monitor choice Arcade vs LCD  (Read 20513 times)

batdive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2009, 10:41:19 am
MAME Cabinet monitor choice Arcade vs LCD
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:30:00 pm »
I did a search for some of this and was not able to find what I am looking for.  I have a 99 Golden Tee (25" Monitor cab) that I am turning in to a MAME cabinet.  This is my first arcade cabinet/MAME cabinet.

I want to run the monitor directly off the power strip and the VGA card built in to my donor computer.

My conflict is a couple things, I have looked at most monitors and the only arcade I have seen readily availabe is the MakVision 24.8 Tri-Sync from Happ. 

I have not found an arcade monitor at this size available that jumps up to the SVGA/XGA state that seem to deal with connecting to a computer easier (from what I have read).  Those really dont start until you hit the 27" then you have more choices.

First I have read about 1 volt vs 5 volts to power Arcade monitors is that the case with the MakVision (have read topics about Makvision here but not addressing this specifically).  And can it be run right off the pre-existing gfx card I have in my computer?  or do I have to have a Arcade VGA type card? or even soft 15 hz program I saw on the boards?

LCD monitors for about the same footage (24-25") are about the same price and available locally saving 100-200 bucks in shipping.  Is this a better approach?

The MakVision has the pro my cab is built for that size and should be drop in, where the LCD I would fab a mount, fix the bezel..etc.

Any input from those that have asked/answered these questions prior in their own builds would be greatly appreciated.  I want to order/buy the monitor soon so I can get moving and get it built.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 11:42:18 pm by batdive »

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:56:04 am
Re: MAME Cabinet monitor choice Arcade vs LCD
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 04:58:51 am »
why don't you use soft 15khz and keep you existing monitor,what vga card are you using?

lcd are difficult to find with a 4:3 ratio

batdive

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:51:31 am »
The existing monitor that was in the machine sounds like it might be going out.  The guy I bought machine from said if you leave the machine on for "awhile" (not sure what awhile is) that it either starts to go dim or colors go off.

The video card is an onboard video card (not sure what type havent started setting up that computer yet).

I agree that LCD's arent found in 4:3 format which makes it tougher.  I like the 27" digitials out there (WG 9800 albeit the problems they have), but it does not look like I could shoe horn in a 27".  My cab sidewalls (inside to inside) is 24" and the 27's I have seen have a 24.39" width.  So not really in the mood to scrap down the sides of the cab for that option.

batdive

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 12:39:15 am »
I decided to go with a 25.5" LCD 16:10 monitor.  Seems most of the CRT based Arcade monitors in that size are all really not being made anymore.

Got it mounted in the cab (tight fit and had to modify a little) but fills the area and should work nicely.

cmoses

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:04:31 pm »
I decided to go with a 25.5" LCD 16:10 monitor.  Seems most of the CRT based Arcade monitors in that size are all really not being made anymore.

Got it mounted in the cab (tight fit and had to modify a little) but fills the area and should work nicely.

Any chance of getting some pictures of this?  I assume that you mounted it in a standard cabinet, because you mentioned the tight fit.  Are you using cropped artwork to fill in the areas not being used by the games?

batdive

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 07:49:59 pm »
Nah I did do more work on it today.  The screen is nice for the size and vertical game size was pretty good.  I took the outside glass and "painted" a custom bezel for it by taping off the monitor area.  It looks excellant.

As far as cropped artwork I assume your talking about the bezel artwork in MAME?  If so I have not finalized that yet as the cab is about 90% done.  That will be in the last little bit to see if that will work or I will have to have the blank screen while playing vertical games.  Horizontal games are excellant.  Even had a chance to play a little SF 2 for a couple minutes.

Hope that answers your question and I'll try to post a pic as soon as I can.

cmoses

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:09:55 pm »
I am guessing you do not have much paint on the sides of your bezel, more on the top and bottom.  Yes I was refering to cropped bezel artwork in mame.  I am still working on getting mine configured, but I like to use the cropped artwork on the vertical games as it does not change the size of game, but fills in the blank spaces on the right and left.  I would think this option would also be good with a widescreen monitor as it would do the same on vertical games as well as also do it on horizontal games as well. 

If you can I would like to see a picture of the monitor in the cab without the bezel to see how you were able to fit it in and how much space it takes up.  Also show us some pictures with your bezel in place.  Did you just paint it black or get creative?

batdive

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 08:32:06 pm »
Yeah I got it in by coming from the front and did one side at a time and the last side was a VERY tight fit (Like barely made it in even after a little sanding of the wood edge that holds the glass in place). 

Before putting it in I mounted the front half of the wall mount and then mounted the back half to a piece of scrap wood I had.  After the monitor is in the front I have to hook the back of the mount on and then screw in the wood to the original monitor frame.  The front of the LCD bezel touches the back side of the wood that holds the glass up.

As far as the painted bezel, I didnt do anything fancy and just painted it black.  But when you paint it on the back of the glass it looks really good (if not better then the plastic style bezels from HAPP...IMO).  Yes you are right I had only a slight paint on the sides like 1 1/4" or so.  The top had a little bit more and the bottom had the majority as I wanted the monitor to sit a little higher then center in the existing hole.

Hope this helps and I'll post some pics Sunday or so when I have a chance to get back to work on it.

batdive

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 09:30:37 pm »
I am guessing you do not have much paint on the sides of your bezel, more on the top and bottom.  Yes I was refering to cropped bezel artwork in mame.  I am still working on getting mine configured, but I like to use the cropped artwork on the vertical games as it does not change the size of game, but fills in the blank spaces on the right and left.  I would think this option would also be good with a widescreen monitor as it would do the same on vertical games as well as also do it on horizontal games as well. 

If you can I would like to see a picture of the monitor in the cab without the bezel to see how you were able to fit it in and how much space it takes up.  Also show us some pictures with your bezel in place.  Did you just paint it black or get creative?

Here is a couple quick pics I was able to get (albeit with my cell phone so crappy quality) and the disc I had did not have the bezel so I was unable to show a bezel crop artwork shot, but you can see the width of the screen with the LCD Glow on the Ms. Pac Man shot.

The second shot shows the back of the cab with the board going between the existing arcade monitor mounting points.  The screens you see coming through it are mounting the LCD wall mount to the front of it.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:32:53 pm by batdive »

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 02:51:24 am »
What screen is in there now?

batdive

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 08:59:06 am »
Westinghouse 25.5" Computer LCD

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8725828&st=westinghouse&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1201306785628

And it has the standard 100 VESA compliant for wall install kits.  I just used the narrow install kit to the board and then screwed that to the existing wood framework for the arcade monitor