Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Logitech G25 Too Much For Mame?  (Read 6122 times)

Visitor Q

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 09:09:30 am
  • The Saw Is Family
Logitech G25 Too Much For Mame?
« on: October 08, 2008, 12:19:01 pm »
Considering steering wheels for Mame and saw this one, also saw $$$.

Is this over kill for Mame?
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
Re: Logitech G25 Too Much For Mame?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:59:40 pm »
Yes, with starving people in the world, it's overkill to spend that much money on a steering wheel.

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 01:04:36 pm »
hahahaha

It is a lot though.
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 01:20:07 pm »
Seriously, man - you have 7 threads on the first 2 pages of this forum asking questions that mostly could have been answered through the search function. I understand there are times when people will still have a specific question they can't find the answer to through the search, but DANG! At least consolidate all your questions into 1 thread if possible.

And as a side note - I mostly lurk. That's because I can mostly find what I'm looking for through the search function. If I'm getting annoyed, I can just imagine what the regular contributors are feeling right now.

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 01:32:13 pm »
Seriously, man - you have 7 threads on the first 2 pages of this forum asking questions that mostly could have been answered through the search function. I understand there are times when people will still have a specific question they can't find the answer to through the search, but DANG! At least consolidate all your questions into 1 thread if possible.

And as a side note - I mostly lurk. That's because I can mostly find what I'm looking for through the search function. If I'm getting annoyed, I can just imagine what the regular contributors are feeling right now.

My advice to you is keep lurking.  :laugh2:

BTW... One of my threads has 43 replies, close to the highest reply count on the first page and they are not all from me, I guess someone is interested.

I am posting here for a reason, because I value (most) of the opinions posted here. It is obvious that much more people read these posts than reply looking at the numbers so all you have to do is skip over them or do the same.

I have gain a lot of useful information so far in my posts and I do appreciate (most) of the people who have took time to reply.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:38:06 pm by Visitor Q »

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 01:34:20 pm »
I'm not the only person complianing about this. Haven't you noticed the trend of people giving you links in your threads, or is that too apparent for you to notice?

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 01:39:24 pm »
I'm not the only person complianing about this. Haven't you noticed the trend of people giving you links in your threads, or is that too apparent for you to notice?

That "person" is being "helpful".

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:41:31 pm »
No, they're telling you to look elsewhere before you post.

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 01:45:06 pm »

:applaud:

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 01:45:34 pm »
WTF!?!?! Over $200 for steering wheel?  :dizzy:

I had a hard time spending $75ish in a spinner.

I am glad I found my steering wheel on clearance ....for $12

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 01:46:39 pm »

Either way it is more helpful that your reply. Please move on, this is not helping me find the answers to my question. I see your point and understand what you are saying, lets not turn this into a  :censored: fest.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:48:23 pm by Visitor Q »

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 01:48:07 pm »
That "person" is being "helpful".

Actually I'm a person without the quotes and, before you try to characterize my actions, I am one of the people who is ticked off at the way you can't be bothered to search -- how do you think *I* found those links ? It isn't like I have all of these threads memorized.

I had hoped that by posting some links that I found very quickly by doing a very simple search for Logitech G25, which you obviously didn't bother to do, that you would start to get the point that the info you are looking for is already there if you could be bothered to look for it.

And my postings in your high-post-count thread all told you information that was either on the sites you visited or explained why they were important.

:banghead:

EDIT: It IS cool that you are excited and inquisitive ... I think you should just hit the search a little more
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:05:07 pm by CheffoJeffo »

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 02:05:59 pm »
Either way it is more helpful that your reply. Please move on, this is not helping me find the answers to my question. I see your point and understand what you are saying, lets not turn this into a b1tch fest.
And from the rules:

2. Don't work around the profanity filter. People from all walks of life visit here, and I want all to feel welcome. If you post something and the board automatically censors the word, don't use a misspelling, "g33k-sp3@k", or f-unny spa-cing to get around the auto-filter. It's not a contest to see how clever you can be in defeating the auto-censor. If the properly spelled word is censored, don't find a way around it please.

If you want to use the word ---smurfette---, then use it.  Don't try and be cute.

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 02:35:31 pm »
I see your point guys, but aren't you being a little harsh? This is a place to help. I know that the search function should be used, hell I use it everyday, but there are nicer ways to point it out!

Visitor Q, the search feature is a very good feature of the forum, please try and use that first as normally it answers most questions. We all post immediately without looking from time to time, especially when we are just starting out (I know that you are not though  >:D) but please also ignore any nasty comments. I am sure the guys don't mean it personally!

Can't we all just get along! ;D Lol!

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 02:40:16 pm »
Either way it is more helpful that your reply. Please move on, this is not helping me find the answers to my question. I see your point and understand what you are saying, lets not turn this into a b1tch fest.
And from the rules:

2. Don't work around the profanity filter. People from all walks of life visit here, and I want all to feel welcome. If you post something and the board automatically censors the word, don't use a misspelling, "g33k-sp3@k", or f-unny spa-cing to get around the auto-filter. It's not a contest to see how clever you can be in defeating the auto-censor. If the properly spelled word is censored, don't find a way around it please.

If you want to use the word ---smurf---, then use it.  Don't try and be cute.

:applaud:

Hoopz... Please ignore all my future posts and this extends out to anyone else who does not have anything to contribute.

Thank you to everyone who has had helpful replies.

ps. post fixed
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:49:30 pm by Visitor Q »

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 02:43:40 pm »
I see your point guys, but aren't you being a little harsh? This is a place to help. I know that the search function should be used, hell I use it everyday, but there are nicer ways to point it out!

Visitor Q, the search feature is a very good feature of the forum, please try and use that first as normally it answers most questions. We all post immediately without looking from time to time, especially when we are just starting out (I know that you are not though  >:D) but please also ignore any nasty comments. I am sure the guys don't mean it personally!

Can't we all just get along! ;D Lol!

Understood but no one cared to ask if I have already done that or if I have already read those posts and wanted more direct answers or different opinions.

I just replied to a post that was over some odd days old and it told me to consider starting a new thread but no one talks about this.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 02:59:08 pm »
Did you search for Logitech G25 ?

If you search for something, please say that you did that in your posts -- it saves those who would search on your behalf time. It would be like somebody asking for a copy of an arcade manual having already looked at a number of sites and then having people search the same sites trying to find the manual for the person. A waste of time.

It is just good manners to post what you have already searched / looked at / tried when you are asking for help.

As for resuming an old topic, that depends on the topic and the relation of your post to that topic.

FWIW, I dig that you don't like the responses you are getting about searching, but smartassing back isn't going to help you when you have to ask questions that aren't found elsewhere.

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 03:08:14 pm »
I'm sorry if I came off rude. We're all here because we love the hobby. I just think you could search more  :cheers:

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 03:18:20 pm »
It’s all good; this is just all a little overwhelming to be honest. I am about to lay down over 3 grand on this project and I want to invest my money wisely. I am spending, what I consider to be a fair amount of money here and I don’t want to make to many costly mistakes, if any.

Trust me, I have used the search function and read tons on this site but it’s always nice to get some fresh opinions on things especially when I am about ready to pull the trigger on all this.

I don’t mean to be a smart *** here but when provoked, I am not one to back down.

My bad.

ps. Not to mention I am pretty enthusastic about all this as well.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:20:30 pm by Visitor Q »

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 03:21:52 pm »
I am not sure why you are getting pissy at me.  All I did was quote a rule.  You need to  take responsibility for what you post here.  This a family site.  If people want to see every word, they can select that option.  If not, the default uses the auto censor.  Your juvenile attempt to get around it isn't appreciated.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 03:22:53 pm »
Don't worry about it VQ :cheers:

I personally search for almost all of the information I need. However, I hate it when these threads turn into this. Getting angry that some one asks a question about something discussed before is silly. The best reply to one of these would be "A quick search for Logitech G25 turned up these " (followed by a few links) This would encourage a newer member to search for information the next time.

Sure, reading the same questions/answers over and over gets old, but so does watching an enthusiastic member get slammed over not searching.

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 03:27:47 pm »
I am not sure why you are getting pissy at me.  All I did was quote a rule.  You need to  take responsibility for what you post here.  This a family site.  If people want to see every word, they can select that option.  If not, the default uses the auto censor.  Your juvenile attempt to get around it isn't appreciated.

Come on man, seriously... There are about 100 words I can think of that are worst than that. I don't make the rules here but I can respect them which is why I edited my post.

FYI. For those who didn't see the word I edited can be said on TV all day long and rhymes with "itch"...

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 03:33:48 pm »
If you felt the need to alter the word, obviously you thought it was bad enough.

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 03:35:29 pm »
If you felt the need to alter the word, obviously you thought it was bad enough.

Come on man... Let me hold out my hand. Now smack it and lets move on...

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 03:36:45 pm »
Sure, reading the same questions/answers over and over gets old, but so does watching an enthusiastic member get slammed over not searching.

Sums it up in a nutshell. As long as a new member is asking somewhat detailed questions, it does not bother me. It is the universal questions that show a person has done absolutely zero research that irritate me.

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 03:41:16 pm »
This was and is a general question.

Let me ask all you this.

Those who have replied to this thread, do one of you even own the product I am asking about? I mean I would be better off changing the subject to "Search Function" and then maybe I will get more information about what I actually posted about. 

Too Much, Too Soon? >:D

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 03:44:31 pm »
Some of us didn't even know what a Logitech G25 was until reading this thread, so I simply came in here to see what the question really was.

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 03:48:32 pm »
Some of us didn't even know what a Logitech G25 was until reading this thread, so I simply came in here to see what the question really was.

Well then, instead of hi-jacking my thread or stating what has already been stated you have really brought nothing to this discussion.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 03:57:41 pm »
You questioned whether the word was considered bad or not, and I addressed it. I didn't post the same thing as Hoopz.

You hijacked your own thread by arguing with RetroGreg rather than thanking Cheffo for the links.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 04:41:40 pm by Ginsu Victim »

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 04:06:08 pm »
The logitech G25 is WAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much for MAME. You cannot use ANY of the functionality of the G25. You are better off with a $5 goodwill wheel and pedals.

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 04:08:12 pm »
You questioned whether the word was considered bad or not, and I addressed it. I didn't post the same thing as Hoopz.

You hijacked your own thread by arguing with RetroGreg rather than thanking Jeffo for the links.

No hoopz addressed that, you reiterated it.

Maybe you should read/ re-read reply #12 and wonder why I did not thank him.

Then when you are done there, read/ re-read reply #19.

I'm not looking for a Father Figure here Ginsu or an argument but you are sure trying your best to turn it into one.  :dunno

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 04:12:04 pm »
The logitech G25 is WAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much for MAME. You cannot use ANY of the functionality of the G25. You are better off with a $5 goodwill wheel and pedals.

Yeah I mean $300 is what it retails for and although it looks like it is great for PC games it seems it does not act in a way like you say to utilize a lot of Mame games. I see that there is another version for $100 that Logitech offers that does have force feedback and maybe that would be better suited?

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 04:18:35 pm »

Right. If i were to build a full size, PC/XBOX sit down driving cabinet, then it would be worth it for sure.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 04:21:23 pm »

You hijacked your own thread by arguing with RetroGreg rather than thanking Cheffo for the links.

I'm not looking for a Father Figure here Ginsu or an argument but you are sure trying your best to turn it into one.  :dunno

None of my posts have a harsh tone. I simply pointed out facts.

Just like this post.

I haven't tried to make this an argument at all, because, like I said, you did that once you acknowledged RetroGreg.

Next time, just say thanks to Cheffo and follow the links.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 04:42:05 pm by Ginsu Victim »

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 04:21:41 pm »
So I guess there is no way to assign the pedals or gear shift lever in Mame then, so it seems.

Flake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 04:26:56 pm »
I have the driving force pro PC wheel recommended in one of links posted by Cheffo (Whyt type of steering wheel to get?).  It is a 270 degree wheel and works great for certain games like Spyhunter (which is why I bought it).  Got it for $45 with shipping from E-bay.  Its pretty much plug and play although I did adjust the sensitivity of the wheel through the .ini file as recommended by URebelScum.  That guy is very helpful.

Regarding the sqabble you are all having I agree with Mountain in that is way more annoying to see nothing but useless posts going back and forth about not searching before posting than it is to repost old questions.  If the point of those posts is to help members avoid being annoyed and to save time then I think that way of doing it is counter productive.

That being said, I actually find that I get information much quicker by using the search function becuase I dont have to wait on responses.  I have had to start a few threads I think because I couldnt find answers to my questions but overall the search function works well (just remember to open each thread that pops up in a new window - otherwise using the search function can be annoying).  I have also found that it is better to post in on-going threads because those who have posted in them may have turned on the notification alert and will respond more quickly to questions.  Bottom line for me is that I think posting a new thread is likely the last option for me in gathering information.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 04:27:38 pm »

Yeah I mean $300 is what it retails for and although it looks like it is great for PC games it seems it does not act in a way like you say to utilize a lot of Mame games. I see that there is another version for $100 that Logitech offers that does have force feedback and maybe that would be better suited?

No, it is not. MAME does not utilize force feedback. The force feedback was implemented differently in pretty much every driving game. Now that isn't to say force feedback is impossibe. I have seen a few projects that use it (Outrun and VR racing in particular), but it is not plug and play. The outrun is a custom build of MAME that interprets the hardware signals used to drive the original motors. Both projects I have seen both require major software and hardware hacks. Neither project was ever completed to my knowledge either.

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 04:29:04 pm »

You hijacked your own thread by arguing with RetroGreg rather than thanking Jeffo for the links.

None of my posts have a harsh tone. I simply pointed out facts.

Just like this post.

I haven't tried to make this an argument at all, because, like I said, you did that once you acknowledged RetroGreg.

Next time, just say thanks to Jeffo and follow the links.

That point was made clear when I edited my post. My personal thoughts really don't apply here when there are rules set about censorship which is why I decided to go back and edit my post.

Jeffo will be thanked when he deserves to be thanked, at least by me. When you read about the true intentsions of his post, all this is made clear. He spelled it out him self, so I need not do so or at least that is what I thought.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 04:31:20 pm »
You can assign pedals in MAME no prob. The shifter is a problem because once again, different games use the shifter in different ways.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2008, 04:34:14 pm »
For the record, Jeffo didn't do squat in this thread, CheffoJeffo (aka Cheffo) did, for reasons all his own.

The leader of the Banana Republik is completely innocent in this matter.

;)

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2008, 04:37:02 pm »
Oh, well pardon me, Cheffo.... ::)

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2008, 04:41:47 pm »
Oh, well pardon me, Cheffo.... ::)

No worries -- it's his fault anyway and even extends to the RealWorld(tm) since he is local to me. Before he came along people at auction called me Jeffo ... now I'm Cheffo.

:dunno

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 04:43:29 pm »
Posts edited to reflect the proper "effo".

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2008, 04:59:04 pm »
I think the most important issue for you right now would be to just see how most of the wheels would mount to your panel so you can make adjustments to your design to accomodate one in the future. The wheel is certainly something that you will "add on" as one of the last items to your arcade.

I think most of the Logitech wheels use a clamp method so you would need an overhang at the front of your panel for the clamps to attach and room for the body of the wheel to sit flat behind that point.

Flake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2008, 05:01:49 pm »
I think the most important issue for you right now would be to just see how most of the wheels would mount to your panel so you can make adjustments to your design to accomodate one in the future. The wheel is certainly something that you will "add on" as one of the last items to your arcade.

I think most of the Logitech wheels use a clamp method so you would need an overhang at the front of your panel for the clamps to attach and room for the body of the wheel to sit flat behind that point.

Correct, my driving force pro has a clamp system that attaches to the overhang of my control panel.  I think its no more than 7" deep or so so as long as you have that much clearance at the front of your panel AND the overhang you will be OK.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2008, 06:44:23 pm »

The Nazi Arcade Board.   

How funny people here get their panties all wound up because someone
asks a question.  Lame.

There are plenty of people here who have asked a question in their lives
without taking the time to look it up.   Its not a fricken crime.   Its called
a "Time Saver".   Not to mention... that at any one point in time,  a
few new opinions and viewpoint may be added to whatever was posted
in the past.

If you dont like to REPLY to a QUESTION... then simply DONT READ THE
QUESTION!!!  AND DONT REPLY !!!

ARE YOU SO ANAL THAT YOU CANT STAND A FEW FREAKING WORDS
ON A MESSAGE BOARD???!!!   Do you even comprehend how Idiotic that
is?!!   Basically... You who are like this... need some serious MEDICATION.

Hile Pacman!

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2008, 09:16:04 pm »
Oh dear it's Xiauo, the "anti nazi nazi". He even uses large fonts  :o

The only guy who can be foaming at the mouth during his rant to make people "settle down" and still think to himself that HE is the sane one  :laugh2:
This signature is intentionally left blank

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2008, 10:17:35 pm »
Everyone quit peeing in the BYOAC cheerios!

--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com