Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Patrickl's whacky news  (Read 38533 times)

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
Patrickl's whacky news
« on: September 27, 2008, 03:14:25 pm »
This is one of the biggest WTF clips I saw lately:
Women dice with death on M6

Two Swedish blond women (twins) want to die on a highway. Police tries to stop them ...

Then for something completely different ... rumour has it that Hugh Heffner asked Sarah Palin to feature in Playboy when she doesn't win the election with that old dude as her partner.

Sarah Palin's Playboy Spread (Photos)

Then some Dutch news. Two terrorist suspects were apprehended in a KLM airplane ready to take off from Cologne Germany to Amsterdam. Rumours were that they were going to attempt to fly the plane into a Dutch target. Later the 2 men turned out to be on "holiday".

Police in Germany storm KLM flight to arrest 2 terrorism suspects

on a sad note, Paul Newman died of cancer at age 83.
:edit: Ah, ratzz started a Paul Newman thread a minute after mine http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=85021.msg890527;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 03:26:14 pm by patrickl »
This signature is intentionally left blank

ratzz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Patrickl's whacky news
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 03:34:18 pm »

Two Swedish blond women (twins) want to die on a highway. Police tries to stop them ...

Yea I saw this one ... What the hell were they thinking?, or what the hell were they on?

Amazing!

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 03:37:44 pm »
Suicide.  It's more common like this than people want to think.  A couple of weeks ago a guy not far from here was wandering around neighborhoods with a huge knife screaming at people.  He was trying to goad cops into shooting him - they eventually got him nonfatally but had to put Officers at needless risk to do so.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 04:05:23 pm »
Forgot to add one. A couple of Somali pirates hijacked a ship and probably to their surprise it was loaded with Russian tanks (on route to Kenya) Instead of realizing that Russians are better not messed with, they demand $35 million. The Russians send them a warship instead. Let's see them hijack that.

Ship Seized by Somali Pirates Carrying 33 Russian Tanks
Somali pirates demand 35 million dollars for 'tank' ship: official

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 04:48:03 pm »
Quote from: http://www.sundayherald.com/international/shinternational/display.var.2453784.0.0.php
Kenyan and Western officials said that an American warship is steaming toward the hijacked Ukrainian ship to intercept it, and the Russian Navy announced that it too was sending a frigate, named Neustrashimy Fearless, from the Baltic to the region. The commander of the Baltic Fleet, Viktor Mardusin, said the frigate will stay near Somalia "for more than two months in order to guarantee the safety of Russian ships".

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Why American?  Seriously...?  The Russians can take care of themselves.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 05:45:31 pm »
Yeah I didn't quite get that either. Maybe they were there already because a lot of ships have been boarded in that region lately.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 05:49:51 pm »
Yeah I didn't quite get that either. Maybe they were there already because a lot of ships have been boarded in that region lately.

Even if they were, unless they were American, not our problem.  Sadly, everybody's problems are our problems.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 12:03:10 am »
Quote from: http://www.sundayherald.com/international/shinternational/display.var.2453784.0.0.php
Kenyan and Western officials said that an American warship is steaming toward the hijacked Ukrainian ship to intercept it, and the Russian Navy announced that it too was sending a frigate, named Neustrashimy Fearless, from the Baltic to the region. The commander of the Baltic Fleet, Viktor Mardusin, said the frigate will stay near Somalia "for more than two months in order to guarantee the safety of Russian ships".

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

probably because they are closer. i actually think that is quite a good thing they are doing. although maybe they just want to be in Ukraines good books. which might be why russia is sending a ship too. its nice to be wanted (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 12:05:26 am »

oh, and hefner is wrong. she should keep the glasses on! girls in glasses are hot!

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 02:13:53 am »
Even if they were, unless they were American, not our problem.  Sadly, everybody's problems are our problems.

I think the problem is that it can be. It doesn't mean we're going to see gangs using the Russian tanks in L.A. ().

I guess it basically boils down to the U.S. trying to control a bad situation and a good faith gesture towards another country. Americans need a few more brownie points nowadays.  :-\

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 02:17:06 am »

Those were cops?  They looked and acted like paramedics or something. They should've, and probably would've if it had been here, cuffed 'em and sorted it out in the back of a squad car.

Heff: I don't know what it is, but there's something about a really sexy-looking woman wearing glasses. Imagine what she's like when those glasses come off. It would be a new definition of the word vice in vice president."

Except she....wouldn't be vice president. That's how you got the gig! Jesus.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 02:19:38 pm »
I guess it basically boils down to the U.S. trying to control a bad situation and a good faith gesture towards another country. Americans need a few more brownie points nowadays.  :-\

It doesn't work that way for us.  We go in, no matter what we do, someone hates us.  Haven't people learned that yet?  We just need to stay out of other peoples' business.

BTW, the pirates can't even unload the tanks.  They don't have docks with that capability - it's right in the articles.  They can't sell them because they can't get them off the ship.  Plus if they do Russia will go in and exterminate them.  Russia doesn't eff around right now.

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 02:29:13 pm »
Those were cops?  They looked and acted like paramedics or something. They should've, and probably would've if it had been here, cuffed 'em and sorted it out in the back of a squad car.

Its not the US... Only -our- cops are allowed to do stuff like that.  The other countries just blow their whistles and hope you stop...
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 02:38:26 pm »
BTW, the pirates can't even unload the tanks.  They don't have docks with that capability - it's right in the articles.  They can't sell them because they can't get them off the ship.  Plus if they do Russia will go in and exterminate them.  Russia doesn't eff around right now.
Yeah, it just boggles the mind how the pirates think this will end nicely for them. Or maybe this is a very elaborate suicide attempt.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 03:11:19 pm »
It doesn't work that way for us.  We go in, no matter what we do, someone hates us.  Haven't people learned that yet?  We just need to stay out of other peoples' business.

Don't the French have issues with us because we wouldn't help them? Leading into why the French wouldn't "help" us and that whole s/french/freedom/gi ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. You're right though, the U.S. has gotten stuck in this annoying, "damned if you do, damned of you don't," situation. In this case though, it seems the U.S. is moving in because the Russians isn't going to get there in time?  That's the impression I got from the articles.

I'd love to debate the topic further, but I don't know exactly what causes a thread to get sent to P&R.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 03:43:12 pm »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 05:29:03 pm »
You're right though, the U.S. has gotten stuck in this annoying, "damned if you do, damned of you don't," situation.

It's not hard to understand.  No matter what happens, after the game, someone hates the ref.  That's the life of the ref.  We need to stop playing the goddam ref.

In this case though, it seems the U.S. is moving in because the Russians isn't going to get there in time?

Again, how is that our problem?  This isn't a game.  These are the lives of American soldiers.  Russian tanks, Kenyan purchase, Somali pirates.  Why exactly do Americans need to be in danger here?

I'd love to debate the topic further, but I don't know exactly what causes a thread to get sent to P&R.

Judgment call... and I don't have P+R access.

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 08:45:28 pm »
Again, how is that our problem?  This isn't a game.  These are the lives of American soldiers.  Russian tanks, Kenyan purchase, Somali pirates.  Why exactly do Americans need to be in danger here?

International maritime law gets complicated.  Theres probably some clause that says if you're in the area and have the means to assist, you have to.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 04:16:43 am »
Maybe these pirates could also attack an American ship? It's not like they are solving a russian problem. The pirates are a problem for all cargo ships going through there. They even attacked a US Navy supply ship.

Makes sense that the navy of whichever country would be interested in protecting the waters from these pirates.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 08:52:44 am »
International maritime law gets complicated.  Theres probably some clause that says if you're in the area and have the means to assist, you have to.

You have to assist in accidents and when people need emergency assistance.  I seriously doubt there is anything there about interceding when pirates seize a vessel.  If there were then why had that ship ignored the other 20 or so that were hijacked in the last month?

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 01:14:42 pm »
The boat has more than tanks. It's loaded with RPGs and other weapons too. The fear is if the pirates can make off with RPGs, etc they will be used in the Kenyan warfare Somalia going on and/or also make it's way to "tarrists!" via black market. Doesn't hurt for the US to participate in sending those ---smurfs--- to the seabed.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 04:05:53 pm by RayB »
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 01:41:51 pm »
The boat has more than tanks. It's loaded with RPGs and other weapons too. The fear is if the pirates can make off with RPGs, etc they will be used in the Kenyan warfare going on and/or also make it's way to "tarrists!" via black market. Doesn't hurt for the US to participate in sending those ---smurfs--- to the seabed.

Policing against what might happen is the reason we have to be everywhere all the time.  These are pirates... they could just as easily use those weapons themselves against nonAmerican targets.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 02:20:13 pm »
I think the police people on that first video seriously screw up in misjudging the situation. Unless they didn't get the information from what was seen on the security camera's. They've done it once, they'll try again.

And EVEN after the 2nd try they still don't jump on them....amazingly poor performance IMHO, especially for British cops who I generally regard to be tougher than our Dutch poofs.

About Palin: recently heared a part of an "interview" with her. That woman is not even capable of talking in complete sentences, let alone all the other nonsense she throws out.

I thought we'd seen it all with that clown called Bush, now we might end up with a one-cell-brain vice president.
I think I prefer an ugly woman with brains for that job.

Ahhh, I added a little Youtube and some comment, but then it would get political.

Let it be known that my statements are without any political influence. I'm just commenting about the persons involved.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 02:31:54 pm by Level42 »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 02:51:10 pm »

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.  They don't jump on those chicks and the chicks do it again.  If they do jump on those chicks we get to see "British police committing sexual assault on camera" videos instead. 

People who want to die are going to find a way.  It's not the cops' fault.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 03:14:54 pm »
People who want to die are going to find a way.  It's not the cops' fault.

I'm not saying it's the cops faults that they want to kill themselves. I'm talking about handling this situation professionally. I can see why the first woman "escapes" but that second time AFTER _BOTH_ have been hit is just plain bad work.

I just don't understand why people who want to kill themselves get other people like lorry drivers, train drivers etc. involved. There are other ways if you must do it....

I was a bit shocked by the numbers I must say. 3 people each day kill themselves in Holland (on a population of 16 million). That's still only half of the 6 per day in Belgium, while that country only has less than 11 million people.

77 in the US each day, 141 in the European Union (!)......

Turns your stomach...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 03:17:42 pm »
I just don't understand why people who want to kill themselves get other people like lorry drivers, train drivers etc. involved.

Cowardice.  They can't do it themselves.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 05:17:37 pm »

The Russians are claiming they had a few tanks stolen by pirates, that's embarrassing. 

If they are willing to admit they lost tanks imagine what's really on that ship.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 07:15:41 pm »
A bit old news, but the trial is starting up.

28 year old guy kills his 19 year old girlfriend and grills her in parts on his barbeques.

Houston Chronicle: Grisly details of A&M student's death will emerge at trial

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 12:06:44 am »
That'd be good with some chilli sauce.

Chef dies after eating 'super hot' chilli

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 02:20:03 am »
Ah yeah. Good combo. Maybe that chili would be good for the swedish twins too.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 02:36:44 am »

In this case though, it seems the U.S. is moving in because the Russians isn't going to get there in time?

NATO. Ukraine wants to join. Russia doesn't want them to...

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 02:55:21 am »
More whacky news:

Ghost haunts gym in Kansas City (captured on surveillance camera)

Fruit fly (or similar) crawling around on the lens. The "light" (aka blurred fruit fly) never passes behind anything, nor does it change size as it goes further away from the camera.
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 03:02:54 am »
More whacky news:

Ghost haunts gym in Kansas City (captured on surveillance camera)

Fruit fly (or similar) crawling around on the lens. The "light" (aka blurred fruit fly) never passes behind anything, nor does it change size as it goes further away from the camera.

Yup there are quite a number of similar video's on youtube etc. Esp. those camera's that are inside a small dome are causing these images.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 04:03:49 am »
Yeah I was amazed that the security people said they had no idea what that spot on the image was. How can you NOT know that that was a bug on the lens? Still it's cute and whaaacky to see how people react to something like that.

protokatie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 06:06:04 am »
Yeah I was amazed that the security people said they had no idea what that spot on the image was. How can you NOT know that that was a bug on the lens? Still it's cute and whaaacky to see how people react to something like that.

They knew it, they are also in marketing and also know free advertising when they see it.

Lets face it, there is a market in selling cameras to whacky paranoid types, esp those who think your camera can capture ghost pictures better than the competitors.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 01:55:50 pm »

I love it.  Iran decided to solve the pirate problem themselves... they built a Pirate Trap.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 02:04:35 pm »

I love it.  Iran decided to solve the pirate problem themselves... they built a Pirate Trap.
Ha, ha, now that IS whacky  :P

More than a little scary that the Iranians might be ferrying nuclear materials around though.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 02:08:14 pm »
More than a little scary that the Iranians might be ferrying nuclear materials around though.

You don't build nuclear facilities, for power or weapons, without doing so. 

Now we know why the American ships are there.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 08:35:49 pm »
Just curious why this thread got stickied?

protokatie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 09:23:06 pm »
Just curious why this thread got stickied?

Apparently American and Nederland jizm sticks together really well in SQL based databases... Either that, or Patrick asked Saint to sticky it, and saint liked it; so he did.

Im going with the Jizm theory, myself.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 12:23:53 pm »
Lol, I didn't ask for the thread to be stickied. Must be the Jizm then  :P

I have more whacky news though  ;D

London News: Shocking x-ray pictures show how teenage boy cheated death after being stabbed in the head in Walworth

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:31:11 pm by patrickl »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2008, 12:46:47 pm »

That kid's skull must be made of tissue paper.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2008, 02:26:25 pm »
I was hoping this would become a regular feature.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2008, 02:30:33 pm »

Damn, now we're all gonna need helmets.  tommy was right.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2008, 02:34:48 pm »
Heh.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2008, 02:48:43 pm »
Sure, when I find something whacky I'll keep posting it here. I figured it would go to the top when I post something anyway.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2008, 04:48:24 pm »
Drunk woman gets arrested while wearing a cow suit telling people to "Suck her udders!"  :P

Udder Madness 'Jersey' girl hit with 'moo'ving violation in Ohio

Holy cow, this Ohio woman is an udder disgrace!
  ::)

More wacky animal news,

Meet Yoda the cat with FOUR ears

and even more wacky animal news. Hope this isn't too gross, but it was on a major dutch newspaper:

I knew some people have a perverted sexual taste, but when they start gangbanging a rhino ... They even drugged her to make her more agreeable. "Otherwise", the vets claimed, "rhinos can be aggressive" ::)

They'll know in a few weeks if they actually got her pregnant :o

Luckily there were no pictures of how they got the semen from the male rhino.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2008, 06:54:34 pm »
OK, this is just insane. A guy cuts in line at McDonalds and a 16 year old girl complains. The hero punches the guy in the face. Bizarre (and wacky)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRYehvGmWMg[/youtube]

Disgusting detail, the man is walking with 2 small children who I assume are his kids.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2008, 07:34:22 pm »
More in line with the "ghost in the gym" item, now people have spotted Mary in a window of a hospital in Springfield. It looks like an ordinary oil stain or something from the picture, but it's not.

Crowd again gathers where some see image of Virgin Mary

Image gallery at NBC

Apparently Mary is here to comfort the population of Springfield in these tough times.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2008, 12:01:32 pm »
That's no virgin. That's a slutty* busty blonde in a tube top!

*edited for accuracy
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:29:03 pm by RayB »
NO MORE!!

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2008, 02:42:48 pm »
That's no virgin. That's a busty blonde in a tube top!

Busty blonds can be virgins too :angel:

BTW Elvis is NOT dead. He's been spotted on the Dutch airport Schiphol checking his passport.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5t9ijfzr20[/youtube]

A description how to hack your own custom passport

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 06:23:03 pm »
Crocodile Dumdee

I hope the kids parents gave him a double time out for this and take away his TV privileges for at least three days.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2008, 06:35:32 am »
About the Iranian ship:
The thing we really need to be worried about is that it was heading for Amsterdam.

It gives me the same uncomfortable feeling that I had when I was walking on top of the roof of Schiphol (Amsterdam) airport and noticing an Iran Air airplane there. Sorry but I don't feel comfortable about planes from such countries flying around here.  But then again, we've got a number of F16's always on standby.

About the passport hacking:
That's the system that was forced upon us by the US government right ?

Feels very safe !

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2008, 07:30:25 am »
About the Iranian ship:
The thing we really need to be worried about is that it was heading for Amsterdam.
Lol yeah, it was supposed to be carrying "iron ore" from China to Amsterdam. Maybe it stopped in Iran somewhere along the way already?

It gives me the same uncomfortable feeling that I had when I was walking on top of the roof of Schiphol (Amsterdam) airport and noticing an Iran Air airplane there. Sorry but I don't feel comfortable about planes from such countries flying around here.  But then again, we've got a number of F16's always on standby.
I'd say American airplanes are more dangerous. They're the one who get hijacked or blown up most aren't they?

A few weeks ago a couple of Apache helicopters came thundering over my house. On their way to Schiphol. That's an eerie sight too.

About the passport hacking:
That's the system that was forced upon us by the US government right ?

Feels very safe !

I thought the EU was behind that? Although I guess the US is pushing to get it implemented quickly.

I would assume the US passport can be hacked just as easily. Actually, the US seem to rely on even less secure measures (for foreigners entering the country). They took my fingerprint last time I was there. If there is something that's easy to hack then it's a fingerprint scanner.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2008, 07:51:39 am »
The Ig Nobel award goes to a researcher who found out that Coca Cola is a spermicide and that it kills the AIDS virus.

Yahoo News: Spermicide Coke, stale chips research wins Ig Nobels

Deborah Anderson of Boston University Medical Center and colleagues were awarded the chemistry prize for a 1985 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine that found Coca-Cola kills sperm.

She said she was serious in testing the soft drink because women were using it in a ---meecrob--- as a contraceptive and, later, to try to protect themselves from the AIDS virus.

Not sure why they would award the prize for a study published in 1985 though.

Other winners included physicists who found out that anything that can tangle, will tangle and a team of biologists who ascertained that dog fleas jump farther than cat fleas.
That's whacky research  ;D

More "scientific research"; Chinese zoo keepers are feeding the Panda's chicken soup to help them regain their strength and get ready for colder weather. Guess my grandma was right about the chicken soup after all  :P

AP: Chinese pandas fed chicken soup for health

They had been getting less sleep, and they had to run around more," he said. "We felt it would be good to give them the soup because they were fatigued and had a bit of a shock."

Reflecting the Chinese tradition of drinking slow-cooked chicken soup for health, the zookeepers boiled roosters in water overnight and added a pinch of salt to the concentrated stock.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2008, 07:57:33 am »
Came across this link with 25 wacky signs  ;D:

Don’t say we didn’t warn you: 25 wacky warning signs

Liking to the crocodile story, "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy". Maybe the Australian zoo gave it an espresso and a handfull of lizzards?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2008, 01:25:36 pm »
I'd say American airplanes are more dangerous. They're the one who get hijacked or blown up most aren't they?

Israel.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2008, 03:59:20 pm »
Yeah, we've had some bad experiences with Israeli planes......

I loved that bear warning sign. Read it all, definitely worth it :)

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2008, 04:48:46 pm »
My then brother in law lived in the building where the Israeli El Al 747 flew into. Talk about whacky news. He called all the relatives to say that a small plane had flown into the building, but that he was OK. So we turn on the news to see what happened and they tell us that a 747 struck the buidling. It hit only a few appartments away from him. Now that sends a chill down your spine. He was lucky the plane came in "knife edge".

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2008, 10:21:47 pm »
Didn't see so much wacky news lately, but I found some more wacky pictures.

I found a picture thread with the 10 Creepiest Old Ads. Especially the last one is spooky.

Also a thread of 10 Incredible Old Computer Ads. I'm still sorry I lost an old science magazine with an advertisement of a calculator that could calculate a square root in "less than a minute". It's amazing how fast things evolve.

protokatie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2008, 04:21:47 am »
My then brother in law lived in the building where the Israeli El Al 747 flew into. Talk about whacky news. He called all the relatives to say that a small plane had flown into the building, but that he was OK. So we turn on the news to see what happened and they tell us that a 747 struck the buidling. It hit only a few appartments away from him. Now that sends a chill down your spine. He was lucky the plane came in "knife edge".

Why is Darth Vapor in the first pic?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2008, 09:45:00 am »

Who wants to bet that chick in the VD ad is someone's ex-wife?   ;D

sel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2009, 12:04:09 am
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2008, 12:16:45 pm »
I am a big fan of reading this thread while I am at work w/ all the weird news from around the world. I think you are brilliant Patrick.

Here in the US I dont know if you guys heard about the girl Natalie "Dylan" who is selling her virginity on the Howard Stern show. The lucky guy and her will get to do the business at the Bunny Ranch in Texas I think it is

http://streetknowledge.wordpress.com/2008/09/10/wtf-girl-sells-her-virginity-on-howard-stern-show-for-college/

I forsee this to become some sort of trend now...i mean im a chick and ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- I think if i was getting offered tons of $ I would have to sell mine too lol

And I am sure you guys already heard about the weird chick that is going to smoke Kurt Cobain's Ashes at some Art festival in Germany? -.-

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2008, 01:22:09 pm »
I am a big fan of reading this thread while I am at work w/ all the weird news from around the world. I think you are brilliant Patrick.
Heh thanks. yeah I read this nonsense all over the internet and if I find it funny I think someone here might like it too  :P

Here in the US I dont know if you guys heard about the girl Natalie "Dylan" who is selling her virginity on the Howard Stern show. The lucky guy and her will get to do the business at the Bunny Ranch in Texas I think it is

http://streetknowledge.wordpress.com/2008/09/10/wtf-girl-sells-her-virginity-on-howard-stern-show-for-college/

I forsee this to become some sort of trend now...i mean im a chick and ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- I think if i was getting offered tons of $ I would have to sell mine too lol
Yeah I posted a thread about that one a while ago: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=84351.0

I thought it was utterly bizarre too. Then a few weeks later I saw the movie "Memoires of a Geisha" where the gheisha auctions off her virginity too. Apparently this was pretty normal in Japan back then.

And I am sure you guys already heard about the weird chick that is going to smoke Kurt Cobain's Ashes at some Art festival in Germany? -.-
Lol, no I hadn't.

sel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2008, 04:32:24 pm »
http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/australian-artist-plans-smoke-kurt-cobains-ashes/

thats the box his"ashes" are in ;o

ANyways ya gotta post lots of stuff for me to read while im at work ok? :)

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2008, 09:22:08 pm »
Just came across some "local" news that made me laugh:

Forum guy almost gets a heart attack telling other people to not take things so seriously.

Large font was used by author. Probably to express his "calmness"
If you dont like to REPLY to a QUESTION... then simply DONT READ THE
QUESTION!!!  AND DONT REPLY !!!

ARE YOU SO ANAL THAT YOU CANT STAND A FEW FREAKING WORDS
ON A MESSAGE BOARD???!!!   Do you even comprehend how Idiotic that
is?!!   Basically... You who are like this... need some serious MEDICATION.

Yeah the "other" people are the ones who need medication

besides the the obvious logical flaw that you cannot not read a question that you didn't like ...

sel

• Offline Offline

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2008, 11:12:18 am »
Ha, ha, that is Mighty Mouse :P  Seriously though, wouldn't that mouse be a tad too big for that tiny snake to eat?

Sophia Loren looks nice as a nun. Much better than Sally Field. I doubt there are many pretty nuns though. I lived close to a nun house and they all looked more or less like mother Theresa  :angel:

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2008, 02:41:27 pm »
Not so much wacky, but more like shocking news:

65 year old Australian doesn't agree with the way he is served his beer and ends up losing his live over it.

Tourist Bashed to Death by Waiters for Being 'Arrogant'

Guess things like that happen all the time, but still never ceases to amaze me that stuff like it happens.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2008, 02:54:57 pm »
OK, not to turn this into a "celeb does something stupid thread", but Jamie Lynn Spears is Pregnant Again!   (original National Enquirer link which doesn't work right now)

Women get pregnant all the time, but the wacky part is that she just had a baby 3 or 4 months ago and herself is only 17 years old. Actually that still isn't the wackiest. Also not to turn this into a pro-life/abstinence vs sex education discussion, but apparently:

“Jamie Lynn believed she couldn’t get pregnant while she was breast-feeding.”

“She’d expected to have her period by early September.   A home pregnancy test came back positive and Jamie Lynn cried her eyes out. “
  ::)

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2008, 02:59:21 pm »
More dumb blond women news:

Woman sues over wrong hair color

A blond womand sues L'Oreal for turning her into a brunette. She argued that the wrong dye which caused her hair to turn dark brown had caused her to get on medication because of her emotional distress.

"I can never go back to my natural blonde hair," she complains. "I feel fake about that. Also blondes do get more attention than brunettes, of course, emotionally, I miss that."

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2008, 03:04:33 pm »

And to think... that chick is going to get lots of cash for her virginity but Britney Spears' little sister gave it away for an Arby's value meal.  Talk about a lost financial opportunity.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2008, 03:11:17 pm »
That's not all that wacky. If (and I stress, big *IF*) a woman breast feeds, using both of her feedbags, continuously and with regularity, certain hormones are maintained that prevent ovulation. Any disruption in that schedule though and... well, J. L. Spears knows the rest.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 05:54:59 pm by RayB »
NO MORE!!

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2008, 03:20:43 pm »
Like Ray said, a woman has to breast feed hardcore for it to be a contraceptive.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2008, 04:08:52 pm »
That's not all that wacky. If (and I stress, big *IF*) a woman breast feeds, using both of her feedbags, continuously and with regularity, certain hormones are maintained that prevent ovulation. Any disruption in that schedule though and... well, J. L. Spears knows the rest.  ;D
It makes ovulation less likely/less frequent. That's not the same as it being a contraceptive.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2008, 04:24:21 pm »
It makes ovulation less likely/less frequent. That's not the same as it being a contraceptive.

It is a clinically studied phenomenon, and has a 99% effectiveness if the schedule is followed STRICTLY. 19 months and counting for my wife, and no new babies (and it ain't for lack of trying).  ;D

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2008, 04:33:59 pm »
It is a clinically studied phenomenon, and has a 99% effectiveness if the schedule is followed STRICTLY. 19 months and counting for my wife, and no new babies (and it ain't for lack of trying).  ;D

And you're *ok* with that?  ... OH!  You meant with you... Never mind.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2008, 05:02:18 pm »

Lol, well I looked it up and indeed it's more effective then I thought when she ONLY breastfeeds, also does this during the night and then it's still only 98% effective for the first 6 months. In reality women don't only breastfeed and you try to get your baby to sleep through the night. 19 months seems longer than 6 months too.

My wife was breast feeding, but she started ovulating in 3 months or so. Jamie Lynn was breastfeeding and (rumor has it that) she became pregnant after 3 or 4 months :P

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2008, 06:46:38 pm »
Tourist Bashed to Death by Waiters for Being 'Arrogant'

Guess things like that happen all the time, but still never ceases to amaze me that stuff like it happens.

We live in a world where we feel lucky when the waiter just spits in our food.

sel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2008, 11:40:41 am »
oops she did it again lol

sel

• Offline Offline

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2008, 09:04:19 am »

Politics aside, that's actually not such a bad name.  I've seen way way worse.  Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite the poor girl later on if future events turn those names sour.  Could you imagine the life a kid named George Cheney Bush would be living now simply because of his name?

sel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2008, 10:07:28 am »
but what they dont' say in the article is he did this behind his wife's back. I mean come on please the poor woman gave birth and carried the damn thing around for 9 months and they agreed to another name, then he goes and does this lmao?

If I was married and my husband did that (i dont want kids though) Just saying if I did and he did that, he would be sleeping outside for a very long time :D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2008, 11:01:54 am »

The article actually stated outright that he did it behind his wife's back.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2008, 12:11:50 pm »
Besides if she wants a divorce of the lama picking that weird name for "her" kid, she can just cut the house in half  ;D

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2008, 12:25:30 pm »
Man wins contest with 1,528-pound pumpkin

WTF does this guy live next to a nuclear plant or something?  :o

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2008, 12:27:49 pm »
This poor ChILD

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2008-10-14-baby-politicalname_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip
Talking about weird names as a political statement, this girl changed her name to an URL. Is that really allowed in the US?

Teen changes her name to CutoutDissection.com

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2008, 01:48:49 pm »

There are several people here that grow 1400+ lb pumpkins every year.  Takes them 15 years of selective "breeding" to get them that big.

sel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2008, 01:52:13 pm »
guess i skimmed the article too fast chad, I kinda have to watch it at work and read stuff fast =.=

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2008, 02:03:08 pm »
I now and then accuse "people" here of being a Turing test (wiki explanation of Turing test). Their replies make me wonder it's not just some script answering.

Turing claimed that computers would be able to fool people into thinking that their responses in a "chat session" were made by a human. Every year they have a contest to see which computer/program scores best at this test. Apparently the "bot" needs to fool 30% of the people trying the 5 minute test to pass.

This year the chatbot named Elbot fooled 25% of the judges. Not enough to pass Turing's test, but still it fooled 3 out of 12 judges. I'd say that's pretty impressive. I wrote an Eliza program as a university assignment once and it probably couldn't fool anyone for more than a few seconds.

Guardian: Chatbots take the ultimate AI test - and fail
German chatbot almost passes the Turing Test

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2008, 03:39:10 pm »
Question:
What was the name of the Republicans' president and vice president running against Jimmy Carter?

Answer:
Who cares?

By the time the kid is walking no one will give her name a second thought.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2008, 12:49:06 am »
Hello, my name is Eliza. How are you today?
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2008, 08:53:50 am »

I remember as an AI class project writing a bot that would sit in a MOO room and chat with other users.  It was a real user in all respects except that it didn't have a human behind it.  IIRC it was perl based and used telnet to log in and wait for people to address it directly... if there was conversation going on, it would ask a general question, and wait for direct responses to it.  It would then say generic stuff like "tell me more about <direct object from precious statement>" and a few other things to get people to talk about themselves.  Not only did it fool a lot of people but a few of them actually considered themselves good friends of it because they needed so badly to talk to someone.  I pulled the plug on it after a while because I was afraid a couple of people were going to get really hurt if they found out it wasn't a real person.  It was amazing how little it took to fool some people and how badly some of them just needed someone to be interested in their life.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2008, 10:19:47 am »
Indeed I have used Eliza a few times here too and had some debate that way with people. They assumed a human was talking to them so that makes it a lot easier to fool them. After a while they did begin to wonder if I was sane though.

In the Turing test, people know that one is a computer and one a real person. That makes it a lot harder.

To be honest I'd say that Elbot would (should) fail a Turing test pretty fast. It's a lot better than Eliza, but it's answers are way too long and formal. Maybe they had a better version at the contest.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2008, 10:51:19 am »
Not only did it fool a lot of people but a few of them actually considered themselves good friends of it because they needed so badly to talk to someone.  I pulled the plug on it after a while because I was afraid a couple of people were going to get really hurt if they found out it wasn't a real person.  It was amazing how little it took to fool some people and how badly some of them just needed someone to be interested in their life.
Too true, it doesn't take much to fool some people. I used to run a Half-Life server and I usually played such odd hours that the only other people that were awake were half way around the world with ---smurfy--- lag or insomniacs. So I installed a couple of bot plugins to play against when I was online by myself. I spent a few months refining the gaming A.I. and Turing aspects. It wasn't long before the bots turned into wicked opponents prone to "cheating" within the game environment (the bots had a habit of jumping  >:D ) equipped with a every insult I could think of, record, or find. I even worked in responses whenever people brought up the issue of bots. One day I decided to leave the bots activated during peak hours. When I glanced over the logs, the conversations that went on were downright hilarious. Accusations flew between every player (including bots). :laugh2: :laugh2:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:52:50 am by SavannahLion »

sel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2008, 03:01:32 pm »
LMAO I have played against a few bots on CS and im like uh i wonder if if these are real ppl or what

the bots owned ---my bottom--- alot -.-

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2008, 03:21:38 pm »
the bots owned ---my bottom--- alot -.-

Be careful how you phrase stuff around here... stuff like this will haunt you.   :laugh2:

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2008, 01:00:51 pm »

Fighter planes in 1957 carried 24 missles on them?

punxrus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2009, 03:27:53 pm
  • It's business time...
    • Home Sweet Home...
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2008, 03:20:54 pm »
Yeah...and they were known for shooting all of them at the same time too!  ;)
Dude...Wait...What?!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2008, 09:03:56 am »

Eagle three fox one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eightee.... oh crap, I've been hit.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2008, 04:07:23 pm »
Apparently in the Netherlands you can get arrested for stealing virtual goods:

MSNBC: Dutch court convicts 2 of stealing virtual items

The Leeuwarden District Court says the culprits, 15 and 14 years old, coerced a 13-year-old boy into transferring a "virtual amulet and a virtual mask" from the online adventure game RuneScape to their game accounts.

The kids were sentence to 200 and 160 hours of community service.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2008, 04:33:21 pm »
Keyboards are not secure :o Apparently it's possible to listen in on what you type on a keyboard from up to 20 meters away.

A couple of swiss researchers found several ways to listen in to what is being typed on keybords.

ZDNet: Researchers hack wired keyboards, hijack keystrokes

Website of the researchers:
Compromising electromagnetic emanations of wired keyboards

In fact in the Netherlands they all but banned electric voting machines because of the same reason. It turned out to be reasonably easy to listen in to what people vote on these machines from quite a distance away.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2008, 08:59:49 pm »
I thought the dollar was going up in the exchange rates again, but apparently not enough. Guess that's why people are using their dollars to fold Star Wars origami from:

Amazing Star Wars (and Star Trek) origami made from dollar bills
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:44:51 pm by patrickl »

Ed_McCarron

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2008, 01:32:04 pm »
Teen changes her name to CutoutDissection.com

The Asheville High School graduate said she began opposing dissections in middle school after a class assignment to cut up a chicken wing made her uncomfortable

Two comments.

Its NC.  That explains some of it.

She must not eat at KFC much.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2008, 01:34:02 pm »

Dissecting chicken wings... that's pretty low budget.  Guess what they probably had for lunch that day?

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2008, 06:39:22 pm »
Lost Bag Forces Change of Plans for Spacewalks

"Oooops, I accidentally dropped the bag containing the tools we'll need to install the urine into drinking water filter.  I guess the guys on the next mission will have to install it."

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2008, 03:38:18 pm »
Good news for next Christmas. If you eat a tad too much turkey you can claim you need two seats your next flight within Canada.

Apparently in Canada disabled people have the right to bring an attendant and that person can travel for free to accompany the disabled person. Now the seriously obese people want in on this deal:
Yahoo: Obese have right to 2 airline seats

people who are "functionally disabled by obesity" deserve to have two seats for one fare
The saying for something like that would be "only in America", but I guess Canada wants to "belong" too.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2008, 01:30:43 pm »
Lost Bag Forces Change of Plans for Spacewalks

"Oooops, I accidentally dropped the bag containing the tools we'll need to install the urine into drinking water filter.  I guess the guys on the next mission will have to install it."
They haven't fixed the urine recycling unit yet  :P

Space shuttle astronauts in race against time to fix recycling system that converts urine to drinking water

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2008, 02:08:58 pm »
It must be a zero gravity thing, because the engineers who designed it on Earth using lab rats to test/drink the water didn't have any problems with it. 

There’s just no other reason why the astronauts who can keep a station worth billions of dollars functioning in space can't get the urine recycler to work.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2008, 02:11:16 pm »
There’s just no other reason why the astronauts who can keep a station worth billions of dollars functioning in space can't get the urine recycler to work.

What, you never pretended the broccoli cooker was broken so you didn't have to eat broccoli?

"Please, let's get the urine recycler fixed pronto, I want to drink your urine!" 

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2008, 02:25:21 pm »
It must be a zero gravity thing, because the engineers who designed it on Earth using lab rats to test/drink the water didn't have any problems with it. 

Broken in transit maybe? I know they pack them well but there's a lot of bouncing around getting up there.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2008, 02:28:54 pm »

I think HAL is wrong on this one, myself.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2008, 02:39:23 pm »
Yeah, I found it a bit peculiar too, but then I never designed anything let alone for zero G. The problem is with the centrifuge, that would be a thing that is affected by such a change in gravity.

Anyway they claim it's finally fixed

They also installed a second toilet  :P

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2008, 02:49:46 pm »

$250 million dollars for that device?  Jesus Christ.  Did Bush design it himself or something?

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »
Shocking considering Dean Kamen designed one that costs about $1100.
Yeah yeah... it's not designed for space use, but come on... that guy's brain is bigger than all of nasa. Throw a few bucks his way and have him design a space worthy version...

http://www.esquire.com/features/dean-kamen-1208

NO MORE!!

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2008, 06:17:45 pm »
Not really news, but an ad for the Bruce Lee edition Nokia N96 phone. The ad features Bruce Lee playing ping pong with nunchucks:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGQ72bre30&eurl[/youtube]

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2008, 06:25:41 pm »
Oh and a bit late perhaps, but the two faced kitty was cute too:

Sadly it died a while later.

ps I was searching for an english link for this story and I was amazed how often this actually happens (found several stories of cats with two faces and even a human baby with two faces)

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2008, 01:28:21 pm »

$250 million dollars for that device?  Jesus Christ.  Did Bush design it himself or something?

Maybe that's including how much they'll have to pay the astronauts to drink it.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2008, 05:38:18 pm »
In Catalonia they have a wacky Christmas tradition of having statues of pooping people around.  If a pooping Obama doesn't say "Christmas spirit" then I don't know what does  :angel:

Christmas Must Have: Statues of Famous People Taking a Dump

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2008, 08:24:53 am »
This woman must be the ultimate arcade fan with MsPacman tattooed on her head:

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2008, 05:05:48 pm »
Hope this is not too political, but in a Chinese zoo there is a male couple of "gay" penguins trying to become fathers. They try to steal eggs from the hetero couples ;D

Gay penguins steal eggs from straight couples

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
Toyota Prius saves the day
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2009, 06:47:03 pm »
Toyota Prius saves the day:

A guy in Massachusetts used his Prius and a power inverter to power his house during a power outage caused by a snow storm.

According to reports, Mr. Sweeney was able to run "his refrigerator, freezer, TV, woodstove fan and several lights through his Prius, for three days, on roughly five gallons of gas."

Autobloggreen: Prius generates power in Massachusetts snowstorm

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Re: Toyota Prius saves the day
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2009, 04:36:24 am »
Toyota Prius saves the day:

A guy in Massachusetts used his Prius and a power inverter to power his house during a power outage caused by a snow storm.

According to reports, Mr. Sweeney was able to run "his refrigerator, freezer, TV, woodstove fan and several lights through his Prius, for three days, on roughly five gallons of gas."

Autobloggreen: Prius generates power in Massachusetts snowstorm

If they'd make the effort to put the power lines in the ground (like with us) they wouldn't have power failing so often. My uncle and aunt live in MA, and EACH season they experience power failure(s), all due to power lines still being run through the air.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2009, 03:04:47 pm »
Power in my neighborhood is underground, and almost never goes out.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2009, 05:23:58 pm »
Not sure if this is a global campaign, but Heineken has this ad about a couple showing off their new house. The women are screaming about the walk in closet and then they hear the men screaming too. Turns out they have a walk-in Heineken fridge.

Some Dutch students took it upon themselves to modify their flat and create a spoof of this ad
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPwkmX5GcCc[/youtube]

If you haven't seen the commercial. It's funny:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZZreXEqSY[/youtube]

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2009, 09:06:32 am »
Damn, I could have built my gameroom like that ;) !

sel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2009, 01:45:53 pm »
lol the girl with the pacman on her head ........ EWW  @_@

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2009, 02:50:42 pm »
The end of free speech in the UK ?

Have the Brits become wimps afraid of muslim retaliation ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/12/far-right-dutch-mp-ban-islam

I do not agree with 95% this guy says, but freedom of speech is the very essence of a democratic country.

I think we should call back our ambassador.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2009, 03:45:56 pm »
Indeed that's rather whacky, although also maybe more PnR material.

Still, sort of on the same subject, I thought it was rather funny when Pat Condell gave one of his rants about the Dutch whimping out when the law was changed to make it illegal to ridicule religion (actually that didn't happen, but indeed that was the word that got out) I'd like to hear him him now on how wimpy his own government is to not even let a guy visit the country because "he's protesting against the violence of muslims and that might upset some muslims".

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2009, 03:53:59 pm »
Good find. Pat is right though.

I think we should be able to keep this out of PnR. It's about a basic right in the civilized world.

Again, I don't agree with Wilders. But I strongly believe in his right to say what he wants in the EC.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2009, 04:34:30 pm »
Again, I don't agree with Wilders. But I strongly believe in his right to say what he wants in the EC.
Indeed and this whole thing just works against the people who want to shut him up. It only makes Wilders more popular. Even people who could care less for him understand that there is something severely wrong when Wilders cannot claim that the quran preaches violence, even while the insulted muslims have protests stating that Wilders (or even all Dutch people) should be killed.

I wonder if anyone in the UK actually noticed that this whole thing was happening though. I really doubt it was as big a deal there as it was here.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2009, 04:19:18 pm »
Pat Condell updated his site. He's not so kind to the UK government either  :P

BTW that site might be NSFW due to strong language
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 04:22:25 pm by patrickl »

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2009, 05:27:06 am »
Allrighty finally some wacky news again:

Letter from NJ to Ore. woman takes 22-year route

An Oregon woman finally received an invitation to her nephew's high school graduation in New Jersey, but she may be a little late — it was in 1987
Lol, that must have been a surprise.

Ok the Sun isn't really a quality news paper, but for wacky news that doesn't rally matter:
Cat-boy can see in the dark

Apparently a chinese kid has developed natural night vision. He can read a book in "total" darkness and his eyes "glow" like those of a cat. I would have guessed his name was Riddick, but it isn't. If something like this would have happened ages ago he might have started a new human race of nighthunters.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:30:43 am by patrickl »

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2009, 09:39:23 am »
Hm.... I'm dubious. The Sun probably just got it wrong and the kid has good low light vision, which isn't the same thing.

Medical tests conducted in complete darkness show Youhui can read perfectly without any light and sees as clearly as most people do during the day.

Far as I know you can't see without any light -- cat or human. Low light yes, no light no.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2009, 09:54:55 am »
Hm.... I'm dubious. The Sun probably just got it wrong and the kid has good low light vision, which isn't the same thing.

Medical tests conducted in complete darkness show Youhui can read perfectly without any light and sees as clearly as most people do during the day.

Far as I know you can't see without any light -- cat or human. Low light yes, no light no.
Indeed, they probably mean "really really low light" or "with no lights on", but then "complete darkness" sounds cooler. The Sun is not really a quality paper though. To be honest it's the only source I could find for this story, so it might very well be completely made up altogether. But then this is wacky news, and though maybe fake, it's wacky  :P

jfunk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2009, 01:57:17 pm »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2009, 02:48:22 pm »
It's still crazy when it happens in your "backyard"...

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/02/25/turkish.plane.amsterdam/index.html

I drive a LOT around that area. 
The only thing I wonder about is why there were 3 dead crew in the cockpit....you'd expect only 2 in the cockpit during landing right ?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2009, 03:04:24 pm »

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/02/25/turkish.plane.amsterdam/index.html

I drive a LOT around that area. 
The only thing I wonder about is why there were 3 dead crew in the cockpit....you'd expect only 2 in the cockpit during landing right ?

not if they were mid lemon party
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2009, 03:19:06 pm »
Yeah, they left the bodies of the crew-members until only  a couple of hours ago for investigation.......standard procesure probably but still.....

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2009, 05:49:29 pm »
Indeed, I live right next to Schiphol. Also, my (then) wife's twin brother lived in the Bijlmer building that was struck. Friend of mine was one of the few survivers of the SLM flight. Just about his whole soccer team died.

It's like you always know someone who was on or near a flight when something goes wrong ...

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2009, 07:09:22 am »

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/3343166/__Piloten_verpletterd_in_cockpit__.html?p=1,1
Apparently there were one pilot and two co-pilots in the cockpit. Maybe one of the co-polits was a trainee or one of them was going back home? Indeed I doubt they had three crew on active duty.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2009, 05:20:54 pm »
4 of the people who died were Americans. Not identified yet....

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2009, 08:04:05 pm »
4 of the people who died were Americans. Not identified yet....
Odd, a plane crashes in the Netherlands and 4 Americans and 5 Turks are killed. Most people died in the cockpit and tail section (which I thought was supposed to be safest).

6 people are still in critical situation though. Lets hope they pull through.

7 americans were on board among which 4 (or even all 7) were Boeing personel. There were 60 Dutch and 51 Turks on board.

A lunatic religious group was going to protest the funerals because they think the Dutch are scum of the earth (for allowing same sex marriages) and to make us see that we called this upon ourselves. Wonder if they are going to come still. Not much point if no Dutch people died. There is probably not even going to be a funeral in the Netherlands.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2009, 02:42:18 pm »
Tail is often said to be "safest" but this time it hit the ground first I guess....and the hardest probably. The tearing off didn't help either.

The pilots were killed because instrument panels were pushed up to the front because of the impact...Damn, squashed to death....must have been a terrible sight...

In all honesty the 60 Dutch could well be a lot of Turkish people that live here and have the Dutch nationality or those whose parents are Turkish.

Not that it matters.

Turkish pilot association blames tail turbulence of a previous plane. Funny how the Turks claim all kinds of things without knowing any of the facts yet. First they claimed all aboard survived, now this. All trying to shift blame I bet. Fact is it has had repairs not long ago. Pretty sure the black-box data will tell the story.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2009, 04:13:52 pm »
More in line with the whacky news which this thread is supposed to be about, one guy who survived the plane crash, had just survived another plane "crash" a week earlier in Istanbul. Surviving 2 plane crashes in a week. That has to be a record.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2009, 05:53:49 pm »
Competing beer brand Bavaria has a reply to Heineken's walk in fridge:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcm9oGBrNKA#[/youtube]

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2009, 06:04:08 pm »
Damn, you beat me to it ! Just saw it on TV and thought Heineken had made a follow-up initially. This is freaking awesome, well done Bavaria !!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

(And the chubby guys get all the hot chicks  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:)

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2009, 05:02:03 pm »
Haven't found much (funny) whacky news recently, but this one got some chuckles from me:

A list of silly things that Brits complain about when they go on vacation:
20 ridiculous complaints made by holidaymakers

I'm missing the one where they ---smurfette--- about their skin going all red after they sat outside in the sun all day :P

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2009, 08:43:02 pm »
A Two Inch Fir Tree Removed From Man's Lung

It is obvious that a five-centimeter branch is too large to be inhaled or swallowed, doctors say. They suggest that the patient might have inhaled a small bud, which then started to grow inside his body.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2009, 08:07:42 pm »
Part 2 in the Heineken walk in fridge series:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOvoO6eQDms&feature[/youtube]

Not as funny, but still, I'd love to have one.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2009, 03:27:05 am »
Haven't seen much whacky news lately, but did see another commercial:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU6HaTkAJtQ[/youtube]

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2009, 01:33:01 pm »

Wow.  That was a lot of effort for a commercial with pretty much nothing to sell.  WTF was that advertising?

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2009, 01:53:51 pm »

Wow.  That was a lot of effort for a commercial with pretty much nothing to sell.  WTF was that advertising?

Life insurance?
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2009, 01:59:03 pm »

That is the url at the end of the commercial...

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2009, 01:07:23 pm »
New Yorker is a clothes store chain. Didn't realize that it's only in Europe.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #157 on: July 04, 2009, 02:39:25 pm »
Not sure if this is a hoax or these guys really are insane, but it's a prank where they put a airbag in the couch:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv3lc0DlQoI[/youtube]

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2009, 06:12:41 am »
Another silly commercial. Microsoft is coming with Office 2010 ... the movie

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUawhjxLS2I[/youtube]

I guess the dialogs are not very funny, but I admire the way they worked out the concept.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2009, 01:12:07 pm »
Virginia Nudist Camp to Stage Largest Simultaneous Skinny Dip

The story is a little on the wacky side but what gets me is the last sentence of the article.

The resort will have a display of antique and customized cars on Sunday.

"Hey Honey, I'm going to check out a 68 Charger.   ...Where are the clean beach towels?"

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2009, 06:56:31 pm »
Pet drags in barbecue and starts Bristol fire

A dog started a house fire in Bristol – by dragging a smouldering disposable barbecue from the garden onto the living room sofa.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2009, 05:00:14 am »
Research shows "Pakistani students not that bright". Or at least this testsubject clearly isn't:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w60Sxop5I38[/youtube]

Skip to 0:30

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2009, 09:53:49 am »

How the hell did he break that with so little force? 

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2009, 10:05:04 am »
I think because of where he hit it. What a tard.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2009, 02:44:57 pm »
I just can't get over how he imagined that ramming his head through it would be the best solution.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2009, 03:18:16 pm »
Just feels fake to me. I don't know why. Unfortunately, ever since that "Wanted" viral campaign, I question most videos.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2009, 01:28:55 am »

That one has been floating around the net for years...

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2009, 09:48:24 am »
Which one?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2009, 12:32:18 pm »

The office freakout vid.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2009, 12:34:02 pm »

That one has been floating around the net for years...

Only slightly over a year old, but I was using it as an example of fake videos anyway.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2009, 12:35:34 pm »

I remember seeing that a few years ago and quite a few times over the years since.  That is definitely more than a year old.  The overlay must be added on.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2009, 01:14:01 pm »
Nope, that video is a piece of viral advertising for the movie Wanted. It was made last year.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2009, 02:09:28 pm »

I doubt that unless they laid it out to look exactly like one that has been floating around for quite a while.  That has been around way before 2008.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2009, 02:46:58 pm »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2009, 02:57:27 pm »

I'm not arguing against the fact that someone used it - that much is demonstrable - I'm saying it's not original to their usage.  It wouldn't be the first time someone took a net floater and used it to push some product.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2009, 03:14:55 pm »
The video in the first link shows hidden camera footage and alternate angles.

Quote from the second link:
"But now it appears that the video was a hoax.

Russian director Timur Bekmambetov says he created it and used it as a viral email to publicise his latest movie, ‘Wanted’."

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2009, 03:22:58 pm »
Anyone else thinking "Chad, shut up!"   ???

There are plenty of office freakout vids. You're confused, Chad.

NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2009, 03:25:12 pm »
Anyone else thinking "Chad, shut up!"   ???

There are plenty of office freakout vids. You're confused, Chad.

No, I'm not, that one is too similar.  What do you expect the director to say?  You really think he's going to say "I saw a vid that floated around in 2004 and copied it thinking nobody would remember it"?

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2009, 03:26:48 pm »
This is a well known fake, but since CHHHHHAAAAAAADDDD didn't know, we must all be wrong.

Come on, Chad.

Those videos don't disappear, so find the one you're talking about. I don't doubt there's a similar one, but your first accusation was that this was just an old video with a new time stamp.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2009, 03:33:43 pm »

Yes, it was, and that I was wrong on.  It looks so similar though that it can't be a coincedence.  Even the guy's path through the cubes, the layout of the cubes, and the actions he takes are nearly identical.  Everyone with me that saw the first one figured it was a student film project that went viral or something because there was never any associated news items. 

And no, I'm not going looking for it, because I don't particularly care if any of you agree with me.   ;D

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2009, 03:36:43 pm »
And no, I'm not going looking for it, because I don't particularly care if any of you agree with me.   ;D
Six posts by you says that you do.
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2009, 03:43:08 pm »
Six posts by you says that you do.

Actually, they say that I'm bored.  And now it's 7. 

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2009, 03:57:24 pm »
Whacky news unfolding here on the BYOAC "form as we speak"  :P

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2009, 04:00:19 pm »
BTW talking about fakes, is this for real?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV-BmD8B3Iw[/youtube]

Ah ok, it's from the movie? Cool.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2009, 04:05:25 pm »

Cool, but I'm pretty sure parts of the female lead are fake.   :)

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2009, 04:40:21 pm »
Here we go again....

Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2009, 07:52:18 am »
Time for some proper whacky news again.

Canton judge orders silence in the court — with duct tape

Judge has a defendant's mouth duct taped because he won't shut up  :laugh2:

The article also has audio of the hearing.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2009, 10:36:03 am »

:cheers:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EO4nYqAOfM[/youtube]

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2009, 02:47:40 pm »
Russian guy catches a freaky fish. Drops it and runs home, comes to collect it the next day. Lol.

Fish With Human Teeth Caught in Russia
(BTW this site might be NSFW in the US as it is a European site)

Another picture on the website of the German Bild magazine: Fisch mit Menschenzähnen in russischem See gefangen? (BTW this site might be NSFW in the US as it is a European site)

Apparantly this is not that uncommon, but still, it looks kinda freaky :)

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2009, 02:43:06 am »
Robbery suspects recorded on Google Streetview

A kid was robbed of some money and a cellphone. Probably just after a Google Streetview camera car passed. A few months later he sees the guys back on Google Streetview and he goes to the police.

Robbery Suspects Nabbed By Google's Camera

BTW that kid must be really happy he has a last name like that!

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2009, 03:28:27 pm »
Not really news, but it's amazing what people are thinking when they go on stage for these "talent" shows.

Fouad moved from France to the UK to start his singing career. For the X Factor judges he performs a very unique interpretation of Mariah Carey's "Vision of Love" and "Hero"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9MXX4eXqCo[/youtube]

He looks like a perfect character for a new Sacha Baron Cohen movie ... Arabian French Homosexual leaves France to persue a singing career in the UK. On his way to the top he suffers prejudice and misunderstandings.

BTW a while ago I also saw a Bulgarian women doing a Mariah Carey song called "Ken Lee"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RgL2MKfWTo[/youtube]

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2009, 05:57:06 pm »
A few days ago it was peace day in Afghanistan. Unfortunately even peace has it's casualties ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrnlm0DG9hM[/youtube]

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2009, 05:48:42 pm »
Ever wanted to own your own missile silo? Now is your chance to rule the world!

ebay Titan 2 Missile Silo base located in North Central Arkansas

Only $150,0000. Previous owner did some damage to the entryway, but it's a steal.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2009, 01:09:07 am »
Ever wanted to own your own missile silo? Now is your chance to rule the world!

ebay Titan 2 Missile Silo base located in North Central Arkansas

Only $150,0000. Previous owner did some damage to the entryway, but it's a steal.

That could be cool. The kids could have their very own real missile base fort. Looks like nice land.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2009, 10:17:27 am »

I bet that place is riddled with contaminated soil and hazardous materials.  There has to be a reason the guy didn't ever bother excavating the site to see what is down there.  I think I remember this having been for sale in the past and getting passed around the net.  I wonder if this is the same seller or the sucker that guy offloaded onto.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2009, 11:32:23 am »
What a great place to survive the Zombie Apocalypse though...  hmm...

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2009, 12:06:04 pm »
You can grow basketball-size tomatoes in that soil.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2009, 02:03:24 pm »
You can grow basketball-size tomatoes in that soil.
See, the offer gets better all the time  :P

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2009, 02:06:37 pm »
Imagine the gameroom you could have...   :o

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2009, 02:33:10 pm »
I already have. Appropriately named Missile Command.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2009, 06:09:57 pm »
The crisis is still hitting hard in Iceland. McDonald's pulls out of Iceland and since then:Thousands line up for last Big Mac in Iceland.

Lol, guess it's too late now, but at least McDonalds went out with a bang :)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2009, 09:10:04 am »

McDonald's just did them a favor.  Eventually they will realize that.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2009, 09:20:54 am »
I don't touch McDonald's. Haven't had it in many years. Gave up on BK a while back, after all four of us that ate there got violently ill and missed a week of work.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2009, 09:22:11 am »

I rarely eat fast food at a chain but gave up on BK the day they made their fries into lactose sticks of death.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2009, 09:34:10 am »
Yeah, I try to avoid it at all costs. Especially because of the cost (it takes a toll on your health and your wallet!).

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2009, 09:44:04 am »
Never understood why McDonald's is so popular. I kinda like BK though. Indeed not the fries, but the Double Whopper with bacon and cheese is nice.

McDonald's is clever with the toys. My kid sees that on TV and wants to go there. Of course then the whole family spends money there. I don't like McDonalds so he just has to suck it up and BK has toys too, but still. It does work.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2009, 09:55:41 am »
I kinda like BK though. Indeed not the fries, but the Double Whopper with bacon and cheese is nice.

I used to. I loved their burgers, but then spent a week spewing from both ends and decided not to go back.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2009, 10:49:21 am »
Never understood why McDonald's is so popular. I kinda like BK though. Indeed not the fries, but the Double Whopper with bacon and cheese is nice.

McDonald's is clever with the toys. My kid sees that on TV and wants to go there. Of course then the whole family spends money there. I don't like McDonalds so he just has to suck it up and BK has toys too, but still. It does work.
Answered your own question there. We're "converted" as kids. That combined with McD putting a location in absolutely everywhere. You can drive somewhere, come upon a small town with "nothing" in it, yet it will have a McDonald's. They are everywhere.
NO MORE!!

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2009, 10:58:33 am »
That combined with McD putting a location in absolutely everywhere. You can drive somewhere, come upon a small town with "nothing" in it, yet it will have a McDonald's. They are everywhere.

We have a McDonalds in the parking lot of our Walmart....and a McDonalds inside Walmart.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #209 on: November 03, 2009, 11:11:17 am »
I liked McDonald's fries before 1990... when they were still fried in beef tallow.   :D

We had a BK and McD's side by side...  I would get a Whopper from BK, go next door and get fries from McD's...

:burgerking:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2009, 12:54:59 pm »

There is a McD's inside Gillette Stadium.  Everything there is $2 more than normal.  There is a McD's 500 yards from Gillette Stadium, too.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2009, 01:11:24 pm »
One of those locations has a captive audience.  :)   Well, their rent is probably a lot higher too, to be fair.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2009, 03:51:37 pm »
One of those locations has a drunk as hell audience.  :)   Well, their rent is probably a lot higher too, to be fair.

fixt.  That's why people pay it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2010, 10:59:16 pm »
Most fast food is terrible, not just in terms of taste preference, but in the quality of meat and other food staples involved in making the meals. 

It has been a while since I looked it up, but at last check McDonald's came in dead last in terms of the quality of beef and other meats they order and the freshness of their vegetables.  Highest on the list are restaurants like Wendy's and BK.  (Those two constantly trade places in the top spot.) While the top chains serve food that is considered quite edible by most nutritonalists standards, chains towards the bottom are barely fit for human consumption. 

So next time your kid wants to go to McD's tell them.  "Not a chance because I love you and don't want to slowly kill you.  Ronald McDonald IS Hitler." ;)

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #214 on: March 07, 2010, 03:54:19 pm »
Wendy's may use higher quality ingredients than McD, but it is still pretty damned awful.  Five Guy's seems pretty good, though I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack after every time I eat there.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

BobbyG66

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2016, 11:52:09 am
  • Current project: Dodgeball
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2010, 11:57:31 am »
Wendy's may use higher quality ingredients than McD, but it is still pretty damned awful.  Five Guy's seems pretty good, though I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack after every time I eat there.
But you will die with a greasy smile on your face!  ;D
Half of the people you meet are below average.

Ed_McCarron

• Offline Offline
« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »
A long time ago (hopefully the NDA has expired) I did some cabling at one of the plants that makes pattys for McD's.  Big bins of meat -- Steaks -- Come in in big tubs, get dumped into a grinder, and come out the other end of the machine flash frozen.

No fillers.  No spices.  All meat.

Seriously impressed me.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2010, 06:32:54 pm »
Ed . . . I'm not sure exactly that that is supposed to mean.  But the quality of McDonald's meat is terrible.  I don't even have to worry about NDAs to tell you how I know this -- I didn't have to sign one before putting a McDonald's burger in my mouth.

Best Kid iPad Apps

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2010, 06:42:47 pm »
Ed . . . I'm not sure exactly that that is supposed to mean.  But the quality of McDonald's meat is terrible.  I don't even have to worry about NDAs to tell you how I know this -- I didn't have to sign one before putting a McDonald's burger in my mouth.
Why is the quality of the meat terrible? Healt hazzard "terrible" or simply tasteless or something?

Their point is that the meat is plain meat and the way they prepare their patties, it's obviously meant to be an "ingredient" rather that the main item. They make cheap burgers and yeah, the meat is not supposed to stand out on it's own.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #219 on: March 28, 2010, 04:25:33 pm »
What about all those rumours about them mixing in corn meal?
NO MORE!!

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #220 on: March 31, 2010, 09:30:31 am »
Just came across a clip of a guy who gets attacked by a swarm of butterflies:

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2010, 09:34:20 am »
On the topic of meat quality in fast food:

AN East Lancashire takeaway has become the first in the country to sell zebra pizzas

I guess it's just what you think is weird though. In Australia they have Kangaroo burgers :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:36:25 am by patrickl »

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2010, 09:53:40 am »
Women try to take body on plane at Liverpool airport
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8604663.stm

pretty funny
got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2010, 06:38:30 pm »
Weekend at Bernie's!!!
NO MORE!!

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2010, 11:38:24 am »
Their mistake was trying to sneak him on so they could avoid the overhead storage fee (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/04/07/cash-carry-spirit-airlines-charge-luggage-overhead-bins/?test=latestnews)
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #225 on: April 07, 2010, 11:39:52 am »
Their mistake was trying to sneak him on so they could avoid the overhead storage fee (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/04/07/cash-carry-spirit-airlines-charge-luggage-overhead-bins/?test=latestnews)

easyjet have been talking about charging £1 to use the toilet
got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2010, 03:42:13 pm »
Finally evidence that cats share a common ancestor with humans:

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #227 on: April 15, 2010, 04:05:42 am »
The new 3D TV's reveal the truth behind the paintings of the masters:

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2010, 12:52:13 pm »
NO MORE!!

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2010, 05:31:13 pm »
Lol, clever.

Guess wacky robberies are a new thing. I came across this one

Also another Heineken commercial which ties into the annoying talent show craze on TV:

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #230 on: May 07, 2010, 07:08:25 pm »
Man arrested for growing pot in TV

Guy was arrested for growing marijuana in a hollowed out big screen TV. Guess people noticed that the TV image was changing really slowly.

Russian Policeman Kills Himself Scratching Nose with His Gun

An armed 23 year old policeman in Moscow fell victim of his own carelessness. He decided to scratch an itchy spot on his nose with a gun and accidentally killed himself, the Moskovsky Komsomolets reports.

WTF?

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #231 on: May 09, 2010, 02:06:51 am »

An armed 23 year old policeman in Moscow fell victim of his own carelessness. He decided to scratch an itchy spot on his nose with a gun and accidentally killed himself, the Moskovsky Komsomolets reports.

WTF?

The reasoning that leads them to conclude that he was scratching his nose is bombastically stupid.  It goes like this:

1. Guy shoots himself in the head.
2. No suicide note
3. Therefore, he must have been scratching an itch on his nose with his gun and then accidentally pulled the trigger.

Nobody saw anything.  They just went in and found a guy who killed himself but didn't leave a suicide note.

Best Kid iPad Apps

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #232 on: May 09, 2010, 05:28:39 am »
Yeah, not sure whether the police "investigation" or the headline is the wackiest  :P

Ed_McCarron

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: May 19, 2010, 08:42:36 pm »
Maybe it -really- itched?

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2010, 11:12:23 am »
Hail storm in Oklahoma City.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #235 on: June 08, 2010, 04:00:56 pm »
^This hail-storm was not fun. I was out driving when it hit (and hit....and hit.....and hit....)

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #236 on: June 08, 2010, 07:36:44 pm »
That was an interesting day to say the least that's for sure.
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2010, 11:46:42 am »
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2010, 12:11:30 pm »

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2010, 12:22:05 pm »
Yeah yeah... :)
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2010, 07:53:35 pm »
Apparently the latest craze in China ... Tiger dogs and Panda dogs:

The dog that's just dyeing to be a tiger: How Chinese owners turn their pets into exotic wildlife in new craze

This would look like something that could only happen in Japan and it seems like it started there first.

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2010, 02:46:47 pm »
Maybe they're disguising their dogs in the hopes that people stop eating them?

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2010, 08:17:45 am »
Gnarcade

"A videogame invasion has hit Mt Hood and High Cascade"

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #243 on: July 23, 2010, 07:50:15 am »
Bankrobbers are getting more and more creative when robbing banks. A few days ago someone tried to rob a bank with a bouqet of flowers, but now they spotted Darth Vader robbing a bank ...

Darth Vader Robs Bank

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2010, 10:48:02 am »

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2010, 11:55:37 am »
Guy I went to school with caught rubbing one out in the cemetery, car chase ensues. :lol
http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?S=12940536

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2010, 12:34:47 pm »
Giant size nuclear accelerator (AKA Catscan) on Ebay for $17.5 mill. Get 7 Lamborghinis FREE!

http://autos.sympatico.ca/advice-guides/5702/buy-a-nuclear-accelerator-get-seven-lamborghinis

NO MORE!!

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #247 on: October 03, 2010, 12:21:52 pm »
My name is not Patrick but here is some wacky new:

Surprise bonus in loaf of bread

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2010/09/29/oh_look_theres_a_mouse_in_my_bread/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:18:49 pm by RayB »
NO MORE!!

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #248 on: October 03, 2010, 01:02:00 pm »
My name is not Patrick but here is some wacky new:

Surprise bonus in loaf of bread

Link fail? :)
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #249 on: October 06, 2010, 05:05:25 pm »
Seen the episode of The Office where Michael follows GPS directions into a pond? 

Woman follows GPS into swamp:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/gps-to-ontario-driver-make-left-turn-into-swamp-wait-on-roof-for-an-hour-104440074.html
NO MORE!!