Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

What Front End are you using?

AdvanceMenu
17 (1.1%)
ArcadeOS
9 (0.6%)
ArcadEpic
0 (0%)
AtomicFE
45 (3%)
CabFE
0 (0%)
Command Line
1 (0.1%)
Dragon King
1 (0.1%)
EmuLaunch
5 (0.3%)
Emulaxian/3D Arcade
11 (0.7%)
Fronty
2 (0.1%)
GameEx
147 (9.7%)
GameLauncher
15 (1%)
HyperSpin
539 (35.5%)
Khameleon
1 (0.1%)
Kymaera
0 (0%)
MaLa
273 (18%)
MAMELOAD TNG
2 (0.1%)
MAMEUI
35 (2.3%)
Mamewah
101 (6.7%)
Maximus Arcade
185 (12.2%)
MultiFE
2 (0.1%)
PyreCade
1 (0.1%)
UltraMame
2 (0.1%)
Ultrastyle
2 (0.1%)
Wah!Cade
15 (1%)
XMAME-GUI
0 (0%)
Angry Bee
1 (0.1%)
Simple Touch Front End
3 (0.2%)
mGalaxy
12 (0.8%)
Big Blue
0 (0%)
Attract-Mode
28 (1.8%)
HTML5 FE
1 (0.1%)
Inertia
1 (0.1%)
Emuloader
3 (0.2%)
QMC2
1 (0.1%)
FEEL
3 (0.2%)
AttractMode
15 (1%)
Launchbox
10 (0.7%)
BigBox
28 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1513

Author Topic: Favorite Front End  (Read 239487 times)

silar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2013, 10:13:19 pm
  • Nerd with a project! WOOT!
Re: Favorite Front End
« Reply #320 on: April 12, 2013, 07:20:35 pm »
I've tried a few different FE's and have to say Hyperspin is by far hands down the most feature packed, 'Does everything I want it to do', front end.  At first I was a little overwhelmed by everything with it, until I tried a few others and realized they just didn't even compare.  I ended up sticking it through and spent a little bit of time each day over a week playing around with it.  Once I got into it, it wasn't overwhelming at all.

I ended up purchasing the platinum membership, and a subscription to emumovies so I didn't have to manually download all the themes and movies for the emulators and games, but I do like that fact that you can download all that on your own if you don't have the money or aren't willing to pay.

I'm kinda with the others that to me for an arcade system, I'm not going for some elegant, snooty, ipad looking, media center looking front end  :P.  I want a 'slap your mama in the face', bold, bright, arcade looking, easy to get use to front end  :notworthy:!

Even my wife and kids love to use it.

wcndave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2021, 03:37:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #321 on: April 23, 2013, 01:21:55 pm »
Hi, I know this post has died down recently, but I will be adding my vote for MaLa, as I tried HS and had no clue how to get started.  Even just working out which of the many downloads I needed seemed complex.  I must admit though that I did not invest a huge amount of time trying.

MaLa worked right away, has loads of options, I created my own skin and edited the layout in no time at all, and it looks great / fast / simple to use.

Before I sing those praises too much though, I have encountered some problems, and also have a few doubts that could lead me to having a proper go at HS.

1. the last update to MaLa was 19/6/2011.  No update in two years...
2. Focus, on starting up with windows, the "start" button (but not the taskbar) is visible on bottom left and has focus.  I actually had to map some keys to alt+tab to get around this.
3. Intro video.  I have a video which then merges into the layout.  On launch from windows it's fine.  On startup I get a blank screen until the layout loads.  This means that with a kick as OC computer ad windows loading in 6 seconds from cold start, and replaced post / windows loading messages that all blend, my really kick ass "start up showing off sequence" is ruined by no video.

I really think that the lack of releases for it means that this won't be resolved, and I don't blame a developer who's not getting paid for getting bored of a project after a while, however this definitely pushes me towards HS again...

Can anyone speak for where MaLa is/is going?

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2013, 01:42:20 pm »
Can anyone speak for where MaLa is/is going?

I sent him an email Sunday:

I noticed the last WIP was 1.745 in 2011. It has been a long time since an update has been released. Will there be any further development?

Yes, just ran out of motivation

It takes a lot of hours to keep active

One day :-)

retrostark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2017, 03:48:51 pm
  • Indie Dev/Custom Arcade Cabinet Hobbyist
    • RetroStarkCustomCabs.com
« Reply #323 on: April 25, 2013, 09:23:18 am »
weird to think that i have not heard of some of these. i am also surprised to see some of the results of the poll.
Indie Dev/Custom Arcade Cabinet Hobbyist

wcndave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2021, 03:37:36 am
« Reply #324 on: April 27, 2013, 04:19:37 pm »
Yes, just ran out of motivation

It takes a lot of hours to keep active

One day :-)

Thanks for that, I shall try my query on the Mala help board then, rather than here.

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #325 on: May 19, 2013, 07:57:34 am »
I shall try my query on the Mala help board then, rather than here
You can always try PM'ing BYOAC member "Loadman" directly for MaLa help.  Not sure if he is still working on it or not, but I know he inherited the Mala code to work on from the original designer many moons ago.

Chris John Hunter

« Reply #326 on: May 25, 2013, 04:01:24 pm »
Hi

I have started a thread for Build Your Own Front End.

If anyone is interested in creating their own front end. That can either operate on its own or as a parent to other emulators / front ends please let me know on the other thread.

stavros693000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2022, 05:33:15 pm
  • I built my own arcade machine
« Reply #327 on: June 25, 2013, 08:53:39 am »
I've tried a few different FE's and have to say Hyperspin is by far hands down the most feature packed, 'Does everything I want it to do', front end.  At first I was a little overwhelmed by everything with it, until I tried a few others and realized they just didn't even compare.  I ended up sticking it through and spent a little bit of time each day over a week playing around with it.  Once I got into it, it wasn't overwhelming at all.

I ended up purchasing the platinum membership, and a subscription to emumovies so I didn't have to manually download all the themes and movies for the emulators and games, but I do like that fact that you can download all that on your own if you don't have the money or aren't willing to pay.

I'm kinda with the others that to me for an arcade system, I'm not going for some elegant, snooty, ipad looking, media center looking front end  :P.  I want a 'slap your mama in the face', bold, bright, arcade looking, easy to get use to front end  :notworthy:!

I really love hyperspin but I would have to disagree about it being the most feature packed............that honour would have to go to GAMEEX hands down in the feature rich department.
it semms the 4 most popular are HS,GameEx,Mala and maximus although why so many people love maximus I don't know guess each to there own.

Hyperspin is what I use when kids or guest are playing cause its so easy and professional looking(but a ---smurfette--- to set up.....especially when u got 50,000+ roms/emus and all videos in avi :angry:)            ....but yeah looks totally awesome

and when its just me using I like to run gameex just because there soooooooooooo much features and is awesome HTPC system but can get confusing for guest who never use it but hyper spin just scroll through wheel..........cant go wrong

Even my wife and kids love to use it.
my first build classic style upright cabinet..... MARVELOUS FIGHTER (FINISHED) http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133066.0.html

stavros693000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2022, 05:33:15 pm
  • I built my own arcade machine
« Reply #328 on: June 25, 2013, 08:57:07 am »
I really love hyperspin but I would have to disagree with SILAR about it being the most feature packed............that honour would have to go to GAMEEX hands down in the feature rich department.
it semms the 4 most popular are HS,GameEx,Mala and maximus although why so many people love maximus I don't know guess each to there own.

Hyperspin is what I use when kids or guest are playing cause its so easy and professional looking(but a ---smurfette--- to set up.....especially when u got 50,000+ roms/emus and all videos in avi :angry:)            ....but yeah looks totally awesome

and when its just me using I like to run gameex just because there soooooooooooo much features and is awesome HTPC system but can get confusing for guest who never use it but hyper spin just scroll through wheel..........cant go wrong

my first build classic style upright cabinet..... MARVELOUS FIGHTER (FINISHED) http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133066.0.html

DickTurpin

« Reply #329 on: July 10, 2013, 05:24:59 pm »
I don't like Hyperspin. Its too in your face. Are there any new ones out all the ones I've seen seem quite dated.
I heard there was going to be a Hyperspin 2.0 But that was some time ago and I've seen nothing since.

Wade007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2017, 01:33:35 pm
  • A MAME cabinet at home is heaven
    • bit.ly/1cWnoIC
    • Cheapskategamer.com
« Reply #330 on: July 11, 2013, 02:18:33 pm »
I don't like Hyperspin. Its too in your face. Are there any new ones out all the ones I've seen seem quite dated.
I heard there was going to be a Hyperspin 2.0 But that was some time ago and I've seen nothing since.

I like Mala. Can be skinned to fit any need/look. Free. Plays all emulators and PC games.
My Super Arcade cabinet project:
Software blog article: http://bit.ly/1cWnoIC

Hardware blog article: http://bit.ly/1dWxjvP

YouTube video: http://bit.ly/1N818Xm

Super Arcade Cabinet Progress thread (Now Complete):
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,123292.0.html

Frontend Video Intro: http://bit.ly/1P9HPDN

Dagg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 04:23:59 pm
« Reply #331 on: July 16, 2013, 09:06:40 am »
I have been gone 10 years but still using mamewah but I may explore other stuff.  I have it configured for marquees and music while browsing and about 6 emulators.  Fits the bill but with little kids I am thinking about something more like maximus so I dont have to be involved when they turn it on.

zelony

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2019, 04:00:12 pm
    • Green Chavez Law Firm
« Reply #332 on: October 06, 2013, 06:05:03 pm »
I use GameEx on both of my MAME machines.  It is easy to use and works great with Windows XP.  The best part is that it has no problems with putting the PC to sleep and waking up from sleep, since that is how I have the power button on the arcade configured.  I like some of the other Front Ends, but I started with GameEx and I don't see any reason to switch.  My brother is a huge fan of HyperSpin. 

Southern Dad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2013, 08:00:16 pm
  • An 80's Retro
    • The World of Thom Bell
« Reply #333 on: October 06, 2013, 09:05:08 pm »
I use Maximus Arcade because of how easy it was to set up and understand.  It was worth $25 to me for the ease of use.  Like a previous poster I have little ones that use this arcade.  Maximus is simple enough that a five-year-old is able to play Ms Pacman, Frogger and Joust with no issues. 

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2020, 03:08:56 pm
  • The cheap@ss gamer
« Reply #334 on: October 08, 2013, 09:55:16 am »
If it wasn't for the much needed parental controls, I would be using Mala. It's dead simple to use, lots of layouts (and easy to create one). It's just a shame that it isn't updated anymore, or open sourced.
I tried MA, but it did a weird bug on me where I could not update game lists at all, and Mame took ages to open only for it to stop working, so blah.

So I stuck with AtomicFE. Much less easy to use, layout editor is a PITA but it works very well.
Doing arcades, the cheap@ss way!
First Project : ttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151071.0.html
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #335 on: December 07, 2013, 05:15:49 am »
If it wasn't for the much needed parental controls, I would be using Mala. It's dead simple to use, lots of layouts (and easy to create one). It's just a shame that it isn't updated anymore, or open sourced.
I tried MA, but it did a weird bug on me where I could not update game lists at all, and Mame took ages to open only for it to stop working, so blah.

So I stuck with AtomicFE. Much less easy to use, layout editor is a PITA but it works very well.

I woke from my Coma  :dizzy:  Wow so this is the future then

The reality is that I have changed jobs three times in the last two years hence the lack time for MaLa.

.  Message me in the MaLa section with your perental control ideas  ;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:17:58 am by loadman »

rawbe

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 09:58:11 pm
« Reply #336 on: March 25, 2014, 10:28:38 pm »
My vote is for Mala. Easy to customize and looks great! I am very happy with it!

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #337 on: March 26, 2014, 11:11:12 am »
Attract-Mode. It's the FE I've been wanting for well over a decade.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #338 on: March 26, 2014, 12:40:17 pm »
If it wasn't for the much needed parental controls, I would be using Mala

I know the post about this is a bit old, but my Arqadium plug in for Mala has some support for parental controls. Basically, it prevents launch of any game tagged in the game list as adult. See my sig for the link.

It might not be exactly what you're after but I'm open for suggestions.

My votes still with Mala, although Raygun and Lechucks start wars front end is starting to look pretty sweet!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #339 on: March 26, 2014, 12:55:04 pm »
If it wasn't for the much needed parental controls, I would be using Mala

I know the post about this is a bit old, but my Arqadium plug in for Mala has some support for parental controls. Basically, it prevents launch of any game tagged in the game list as adult. See my sig for the link.

It might not be exactly what you're after but I'm open for suggestions.

My votes still with Mala, although Raygun and Lechucks start wars front end is starting to look pretty sweet!

Props to Arximidis for that, I'm just the skin guy constantly flogging the whip on whoever stumbles into my path for an FE that actually does what I want  ;D

I was a huge proponent for MALA, and it still absolutely has a place in certain builds I do, but HTML5 FE is really starting to come along.  It's not quite there yet but man, it is well on its way to being something special. 

raygun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2016, 12:24:03 am
« Reply #340 on: March 26, 2014, 02:59:26 pm »

My version for star wars is just a layout in the Attract-Mode frontend.

That's my vote too but i'm biased.

arximidis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2020, 03:52:48 am
« Reply #341 on: May 13, 2014, 01:30:39 pm »
I beleive the battle is between hyperspin, MaLa, Maximus arcade and GameEx
All the others I don't think they really have a chance (and that it doesn't mean they are inferior)

If the community doesn't support them, soon or later they will die...  :(

jimmer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
« Reply #342 on: July 06, 2014, 06:14:59 am »
Attract Mode for me. I've only tried it and MaLa.

On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #343 on: December 08, 2014, 02:53:31 am »
MAMEWAH - it has all I need to run mame, taito typex, nestopia, daphne games.

bulbousbeard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2015, 11:58:25 pm
« Reply #344 on: December 26, 2014, 12:17:45 am »

I guess it depends on how you define "arcade looking," but to me, Hyperspin doesn't look like an arcade at all. It looks like what it is: Flash animations. When I think of arcades, I think of 2D pixel art.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #345 on: December 26, 2014, 06:15:33 am »
I guess it depends on how you define "arcade looking," but to me, Hyperspin doesn't look like an arcade at all. It looks like what it is: Flash animations. When I think of arcades, I think of 2D pixel art.

That's why I use MAMEWAH with Bomb jack custom theme build in game graphics :)

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #346 on: December 29, 2014, 09:49:29 am »
Added Big Blue to the list.  Shoot me a PM if I need to add any others.

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #347 on: December 30, 2014, 10:52:36 am »
Added HTML5 FE and Attract-Mode to the list also.

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #348 on: January 06, 2015, 09:21:23 am »
Added Inertia to the list.

bulbousbeard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2015, 11:58:25 pm
« Reply #349 on: January 08, 2015, 11:11:13 am »
Should Emuloader and QMC2 be added to this list? They're frontends more for the desktop than arcade cabinets, but they're still frontends.

http://qmc2.arcadehits.net/wordpress/
http://emuloader.mameworld.info/

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #350 on: January 08, 2015, 12:45:42 pm »
I haven't heard about Emuloader in years.  I'm surprised that nobody pointed it out before.  I'll add them both.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #351 on: January 09, 2015, 03:22:24 pm »
OpenEmu is pretty cool. http://openemu.org

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #352 on: January 09, 2015, 03:55:46 pm »
Users should get more than one vote.  I use different FEs based on what build I'm doing. 

Right now I have both MALA and HTML5 FE running at the house and am anxiously awaiting the chance to try that new one by emb.

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #353 on: January 13, 2015, 08:47:03 am »
I can't change how it was setup now.  And when I started the thread, there was a lot of vitriol here about who's FE was better.  I would trust most people to vote just once per FE that they used on one machine, but I could easily see a few idiots voting 5 or 10 times for the same FE that they used just once....

It's a good idea in theory.  I'm questioning the need for the thread to still be stickied.  We still get people asking which one is "best" from time to time. 

Users should get more than one vote.  I use different FEs based on what build I'm doing. 

Right now I have both MALA and HTML5 FE running at the house and am anxiously awaiting the chance to try that new one by emb.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #354 on: January 13, 2015, 03:28:34 pm »
I haven't heard of 3/4s of those Front Ends.  :laugh2:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #355 on: January 13, 2015, 04:13:19 pm »
Where is the "No Front End Front End"?  :duckhunt

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #356 on: January 13, 2015, 04:21:43 pm »
Three front ends command 70% of the use base.  That's actually smaller than I thought it would be.  If you bump it to five tho it jumps 20% more leaving a field of random stuff I've never heard of or some very newly added ones to account for the remainder.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:23:39 pm by Le Chuck »

cool_factor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2023, 08:24:42 am
« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2015, 09:31:03 pm »
Can anyone tell me if Dazz is. Still active on this forum? He lives in the same city as I do, Keller TX

rtkiii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2022, 02:55:49 pm
  • Ready to Build! Not building? Making Movies!
    • RTKIII Productions YouTube Channel
« Reply #358 on: February 12, 2015, 04:50:11 pm »
I cannot seem to find where I can change the vote.  I used MameUI very early on when I voted but moved to GameEx over a year ago...which is GREAT! 

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #359 on: February 13, 2015, 08:19:36 pm »
Can anyone tell me if Dazz is. Still active on this forum? He lives in the same city as I do, Keller TX

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=profile;u=8047

Last Active: January 21, 2015, 07:50:30 pm