Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Donkey Kong 2 - D2K Project  (Read 18811 times)

audiomidiman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2015, 11:40:00 pm
Donkey Kong 2 - D2K Project
« on: September 19, 2008, 02:36:41 pm »
I've decided it was time to post my current project on the  BYOAC forums. I've done a 4 restorations so far but have yet to post them here and figured it was time. This project I'm converting a working DK Jr. that has seen better days to a Donkey Kong 2 (D2K). I've been spending tons of free-time moving forward so when my D2K Artwork Packages from www.thisoldgame.com arrives the cabinet will be ready for it.

For any of you who do not know what Donkey Kong 2 (D2K) is check it out here.
http://www.jeffsromhack.com/products/d2k.htm

The art package is available from Rich @ thisoldgame.com and I'm pretty sure his username here is rikitiki.
http://www.thisoldgame.com/DK2art.htm

Here are some before photos. Didn't seem that bad until I actually started. But, still a solid machine

Cabinet Stripped

Corner / Plywood repair. Due to the base being gone the plywood was starting to pull apart on the bottom corner.

Time to bondo and sand the front and the sides.

New Base Installation

Finally standing upright

A coat of primer / sandible undercoat finally on.

Thats it for now. I've painted all the black on the cabinet (no photos yet) and will be painting the blue this weekend and will post some more photos.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:04:12 pm
Re: Donkey Kong 2 - D2K Project
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:06:39 pm »
Looks great so far!  I like all the pics - it will be very helpful when it comes time to do mine (although I'm just restoring a DK).

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:39:47 pm »
I "ALMOST" did it DK Blue and put everything D2K on the cabinet but the side art... That way, I could change it back fairly easy... Then I figured "WTF" and bought the darker blue. :)

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:25:29 pm »
Here are a couple of updates from the last few nights.

Here are a couple of updates.

Black was applied over the last couple of nights.

Tonight got a coat of blue on. Looks pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:04:12 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 09:22:20 am »
Looking good!  How long did it take to sand, bondo and put on the primer?   :cheers:

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 01:21:24 pm »
Bondo and sanding didn't take to long however the back edge had to be "LEVELED" which was a trip. Overall, I think it looks great so far. I have a couple of "THIN" spots but a second coat of blue should solve that.

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 09:56:23 pm »
Got the second coat of "BLUE" on last night and removed the painters tape this morning. Looks great!!!

The speaker grill repair turned out great!!!

Hoping to get the brackets and coin door sprayed tomorrow night (was hoping for today but it didn't happen) and possibly install the "T-Molding".

Muerto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2012, 01:15:51 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 11:42:05 am »
i looks great! -  im about to do a DK cab too, any chance you can provide the colour code?? :)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:57:32 am »
i looks great! -  im about to do a DK cab too, any chance you can provide the colour code?? :)

Behr (Home Depot) color Sapphire Sparkle.

Muerto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2012, 01:15:51 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 12:02:55 pm »
ok thx, but there´s 5000 miles from where i live to the nearest home depot.. isent there an code or somthing on the can?

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:11:10 pm »
I used oil based Pratt and Lambert in a satin finish. Will get you the code becauce my guy did a great job mixing it to match Sapphire Sparkle. Just didn't want to use Latex.

Bill

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 10:20:27 pm »
A couple of quick updates from the last few days.

First, I moved it outside to get a good idea of the color of the cabinet w/o a flash. It is still darker than this and not sure why it still looks a little brighter that it actually is.

Here is a side by side of DK Blue (Vs. Cabinet) next to D2K Blue.

T-molding installed. Amazing how finished a cabinet looks with T-molding.

Painted Coin Door "Hammer Finish" and Painted Coin Mech Face Plates (Rustoleum Metallic) with Krylon "Crystal Clear".

That's it for now... Anyone know how to reset the coin counter to "00000000"?

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 02:23:00 am »
I did my coin counter about 9 years ago, so forgive me for my vague recollection but I think I just figured out a way to take it apart (not that it was meant to be taken apart!), so it should be possible. Don't think you're going to find a magic "reset" mechanism though. ;)
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 09:30:06 am »
I did my coin counter about 9 years ago, so forgive me for my vague recollection but I think I just figured out a way to take it apart (not that it was meant to be taken apart!), so it should be possible. Don't think you're going to find a magic "reset" mechanism though. ;)

Hmmmm, I'd just like to set it back to zero when I get it done seeing it's technically a "NEW" product... Not really necessary but still kind of cool. :)

bewareofwolfe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2020, 11:10:10 pm
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 09:50:59 pm »
I can't wait to really get started on my DIIK project. two suggestions for the coin counter,
1. hook up a button and get pressing.
or
2. Get a new one from happ.

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 09:39:48 am »
Well the art package shipment 1 of 2 showed up today and everything looks great.

When it arrived my son could hardly wait.

Marquee looks great.

CPO looks equally as good. I installed new buttons from Mike's Arcade. I also opted to purchase a NEW reproduction DK/DK Jr. (4 way) from Mike's arcade. This thing looks great!!!

HoopstarsGarage

• Scratch Building Demi-God!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2016, 09:24:11 pm
  • Scratch Building Demi-God..
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 09:27:04 am »
The counter increments once digit for every +12v pulse...  so you can easily connect the one wire to ground and touch the other wire  to the +12volt supply (they are not polarity sensitive) - you only need to do this on your counter 968366 times and it'll reset to zero :)

Alternatively you can pull the counter apart and pull the numbered gears and manually rearrange them, but you need to be confident as getting them to function again reliably is certainly not easy.

Hoops

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 10:19:19 pm »
Well, the other night I replaced the cardboard bezel and installed my extra DK Jr. Bezel until the D2K bezel arrives.

I have a couple of purple buttons on there way (thanks gatordad) and not sure what to do about the other buttons (Might do Purple and red, Purple and Galaga Gold, Purple and White or Purple and Black... Galaga Yellow and Red would look pretty good as well.

Have to put the bezel instruction sticker on (debating if I want to repaint this piece or not), install the insert coin stickers on and install the back door and I'm done for now while I await the D2K side art and bezel. I'm also missing the plywood that sits behind the neck-board of the Monitor and debating if I should replace this or not. Oh and I really should replace the plug and/or cord.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 01:14:04 am »
Love it !

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2009, 09:19:37 am
  • Being a noob is awesome! (not)
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 10:24:30 pm »
Well the art package shipment 1 of 2 showed up today and everything looks great.

Hey Sir - your D2K parts look great!  If you don't mind me asking - when did you place your order?  Reason I'm asking is that I pre-paid for my D2K kit back in July and have yet to see anything show up.  I'm just curious to see where I might sit in the order line.

Thanks!  I'm anxious as heck to get mine assembled as well!
- Whitney Roberts
http://www.brokentoken.com

gatordad

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 07:11:02 pm
  • This is your brain on games.
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 03:43:52 pm »

I have a couple of purple buttons on there way (thanks gatordad)

No problem, I hope they match your colors
It looks great so far,  post more pic's......
I would like to do a multi kong one day
maybe next year.

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 08:31:20 am »
Love it !

Thanks. I moved it in place the other night which is next to DK Jr. (on the right) and Q*bert on the left and I must say that it looks sweet!!! Many people think the color is too light compared to the Prototype cabinet at CAX and I disagree. In the basement it looks like it's just the right color.

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 08:36:57 am »

Hey Sir - your D2K parts look great!  If you don't mind me asking - when did you place your order?  Reason I'm asking is that I pre-paid for my D2K kit back in July and have yet to see anything show up.  I'm just curious to see where I might sit in the order line.

I placed my order pretty much within a couple of days of the pre-orders being taken. I assume by now that you have your art (everything but the bezel, side art and serial number tag)?

Bill

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 10:32:21 pm »

I placed my order pretty much within a couple of days of the pre-orders being taken. I assume by now that you have your art (everything but the bezel, side art and serial number tag)?

Bill

Actually, the pieces you mention (control panel, small decals, marquee) came in at the end of last week, so at this point I am even with you.  I was starting to get a little worried, but I called Rich and talked to him and received tracking information shortly thereafter.

The silkscreened pieces look awesome don't they?  They are so professional and authentic looking.
- Whitney Roberts

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 02:14:13 am »
Audiomidiman,

Have you received the balance of the kit yet?  It's been a bit (6 weeks or so) since our first parts came in, and I'm wondering if you've heard anything from Rich Grafix as to when the other parts will be on the way?

Thanks!
- Whitney Roberts

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 10:15:04 am »
I haven't received the side art, bezel or SN Tag yet. Was hoping to have it by now but nothing yet. I believe Rich has ran a set or two of the side art and bezel so can't be much longer.

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 08:53:09 am »
I haven't received the side art, bezel or SN Tag yet. Was hoping to have it by now but nothing yet. I believe Rich has ran a set or two of the side art and bezel so can't be much longer.

I certainly hope not.  Have you heard anything yet from Rich in regards to expected delivery?  I've heard nothing and am tempted to call if you've not gotten any additional news....

Thanks,
Whitney
- Whitney Roberts

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 08:55:45 am »

I certainly hope not.  Have you heard anything yet from Rich in regards to expected delivery?  I've heard nothing and am tempted to call if you've not gotten any additional news....

Thanks,
Whitney

When I talked to rich a week or two ago (all my days blend together) he said the side art and bezels were getting very very close to being complete and he was hoping everything would be shipped out very quickly. So, they are being worked on.

rockin_rick

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 09:20:20 am
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 10:16:50 pm »
I preordered June 23 and haven't received the 'final' set of art.   I got the 'first set' on about Dec 1, FWIW...

Rick
If I do not respond to your post in a timely manner, feel free to PM me.

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 10:33:41 pm »
I preordered June 23 and haven't received the 'final' set of art.   I got the 'first set' on about Dec 1, FWIW...

Rick

Rick,

I'm in the same boat as you.  I 'pre-ordered' on July 22 and have only received the 'first set' as well.

Let's hope this wraps up soon.  It would be nice if Rich would e-mail all of the buyers a status update from time-to-time... I don't think that's too much to ask.

Honestly though, if I didn't call them ever so often and pester Kendra, I don't know if I'd *EVER* hear anything from them.  It's aggrivating from a customer-service perspective.

Their work is top-notch though.
- Whitney Roberts

rockin_rick

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 09:20:20 am
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 01:21:40 pm »
Interesting, I ordered a month before you, yet received my stuff 3 weeks later.  There must not be a 'order line' and more of a 'squeaky wheel' arrangement.  I haven't emailed or bothered to ask at all throughout this whole time, just waited patiently, so maybe your emailing/calling showed more of an 'importance' in receiving this? /shrug  Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with this, as I'm not ready to assemble the DK2 yet anyway.  Might as well get the art to the guys who are ready - just don't forget me!

And I'm sure the Rich is getting these done as fast as possible, he seems to have a lot of irons in the fire and must be very busy. 

I don't think that you would hear anything if you didn't pester, I didn't.  I'm sure that he's trying to avoid setting expectations and then having unforeseen circumstances delay it causing people to get disappointed or mad.  But I agree, an email once in a while would be nice.  It wouldn't have to have a time estimate, just a simple 'I haven't forgot about you' would be nice.  I was wondering if I was forgot when you guys were saying that you got your stuff in early Nov. and I hadn't.  But again, I'm sure he's just super busy and taking time to email people just delays stuff more, so /shrug

And I agree, the work is excellent.  I appreciate that he's making quality artwork for us, even if it takes a longer than anticipated.

Rick
If I do not respond to your post in a timely manner, feel free to PM me.

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 04:15:34 pm »
Do you guys think Rich hit some sort of major snag, but is just too proud to admit it fearing people will feel let down? He has quite a stellar reputation to live up to that can lead to a lot of stress.

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 06:21:59 pm »
Do you guys think Rich hit some sort of major snag, but is just too proud to admit it fearing people will feel let down? He has quite a stellar reputation to live up to that can lead to a lot of stress.

I am 99.9% sure this is not the case. When I talked to Rich a couple of weeks ago he had everything ready to go. I'm not 100% sure but I am pretty sure he had already ran a couple sets of the bezels and side art.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 04:04:42 pm »
I just received a _VERY_ nice set of stuff from Rich.

Midway plates, Atari logo stickers, Bally Midway back-plate (incl. nails !), a corrected Galaxian CPO and an extremely nice bonus that I will report about in the appropriate thread.

Rich is 1000% OK, he's just been very busy. I too have mailed him once or twice about the status of my order. I'm sure he's just very very busy, and remember this is not his main business.

The stuff he makes sets the standard that others must be compared too. It's totally amazing. That's worth a little wait.

audiomidiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2009, 04:16:07 pm »
I just received a _VERY_ nice set of stuff from Rich.

Midway plates, Atari logo stickers, Bally Midway back-plate (incl. nails !), a corrected Galaxian CPO and an extremely nice bonus that I will report about in the appropriate thread.

Rich is 1000% OK, he's just been very busy. I too have mailed him once or twice about the status of my order. I'm sure he's just very very busy, and remember this is not his main business.

The stuff he makes sets the standard that others must be compared too. It's totally amazing. That's worth a little wait.

+1

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:17:35 pm
    • Custom Arcade Game Printing
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2009, 05:07:06 pm »
The Side art and Bezel are just finishing up the larger pieces just take longer and require larger screens than alot of my other projects.  :banghead:
I will be shipping these out very soon
I will Also be sending out an e-mail to all the pre orders of your stats , serial # and other D2K news. :)
Saving the Planet one Game at a time.

www.ThisOldGame.com

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2009, 06:31:47 pm »
The Side art and Bezel are just finishing up the larger pieces just take longer and require larger screens than alot of my other projects.  :banghead:
I will be shipping these out very soon
I will Also be sending out an e-mail to all the pre orders of your stats , serial # and other D2K news. :)

This is awesome news Rich - thanks for dropping in and setting all of us on the straight and narrow about what the status is!
- Whitney Roberts

audihere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2009, 12:52:06 pm
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2009, 11:37:12 pm »
Will there be the metal piece at the bottom of the bezel available for these D2K bezels (and regular DK restorations)?  Doesn't seem like anyone currently makes these.

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:17:35 pm
    • Custom Arcade Game Printing
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 03:40:43 pm »
mikes arcade.com
should have these ordered one myself just a week ago 8)
Saving the Planet one Game at a time.

www.ThisOldGame.com

audihere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2009, 12:52:06 pm
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 03:45:33 pm »
I don't think Mike's has them unless I just can't see them for some reason.  I don't think these have been re-made.

Since my post, I have found a used one in clean-able shape.  I would think these would be in demand since getting them off the bezels can destroy them if the double sided tape is too hard to de-bond.