Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to identify untagged .mp3 files  (Read 11860 times)

Burke LaShell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2015, 06:45:05 pm
How to identify untagged .mp3 files
« on: September 19, 2008, 12:44:59 pm »
I have a big collection of music.  Most of it is tagged, but some needs work.  I really don't want to open every folder separately to see if every MP3 is tagged.

Is there an easy way to read all the tags in all the folders/subfolders and create a text file with all the tag info?  That way, I couuld open the file in Excel and easily scroll through every song, looking for missing tags.

--Burke

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
Re: How to identify untagged .mp3 files
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 01:45:37 pm »
many good id3 tag application can do that, based on the filemask used, example like this:

Album/Artist/track - title.mp3

If you have that you can use ID3-TagIt which I use.

TagScanner is a another nice application

You can also tryout MusicIP as well if you dosent have a filemask at all.

Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

pmc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 07:43:02 am
    • website
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 02:09:45 pm »
I'd look for a tagger application that can read files all the way down the file structure (recursively). That way you can can just open the root folder in the app, and then see and edit the tags for all the songs at the same time. No need to export or use a spreadsheet application.

I've used Tag & Rename, MP3 Tag Tools, and Foobar2000. MP3 Tag Tools can definitely do that, but I don't remember about the others.

As for retagging: you may want to play around with some of the MusicBrainz related taggers. I've only had spotty success with MusicBrainz, but it can sometimes beat manual re-tagging and it may work out well for you.

-pmc

Burke LaShell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2015, 06:45:05 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 10:31:50 pm »
I went with Tag Scanner.  It really works well.  If files are named with track, artist, and title in the file name, it's really easy to turn that info into real tags.  Also, it's easy to scroll through the entire collection of files and see what hasn't been tagged.

Overall, it's a fantastic tool to get your entire collection tagged.

--Burke

pmc

• Offline Offline
    • website
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:02:17 pm »
I've never tried Tag Scanner but it sounds like I need to check it out. Thanks for the follow-up.

-pmc

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 04:09:10 pm »
I use and really like mp3tag....

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I normally use it at the album level to tag albums that I've ripped from vinyl.  But go up one level (artist in my case) and it displays all the tags of the artist.  Up another level (genre in my case) and it displays the tags for all artists and albums under that genre.  Go up another level (entire mp3 folder in my case) and it will present the tags for all of my mp3's for editing.

It displays all filenames in the directory and directories under the current diretory, along with their associated tag info.  So if there is no tag info it's easy to see and correct.

Important note:  Under tools options be sure to select   ID3V2.3 ISO-8859-1.   If not, you will have issues with some or all common jukebox programs displaying the info correctly.

Brian

pmc

• Offline Offline
    • website
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 08:06:10 pm »
Important note:  Under tools options be sure to select   ID3V2.3 ISO-8859-1.   If not, you will have issues with some or all common jukebox programs displaying the info correctly.

Interesting. I use Foobar2000 (the older 0.8.3) for various reasons. I had alot of trouble with files tagged with Foobar2000 being playable by jukebox and MP3 player software. It took me some research, but I discovered that it was because it was using UTF-16 in the ID3v2 tags. I forced it to use the (obsolete?) ISO-8859-1 and everything worked fine after that.

I'll have to try out mp3tag. I haven't tried it yet I don't think.

-pmc

richms

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2022, 02:33:54 am
  • s92a sucks
    • richms.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 05:47:56 am »

Yes, sadly the amrei-centric nature of the building a jukebox really shows with the poor support they all seem to have for alternate codepages or preferably the proper unicode setting.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 10:22:31 am »
many software still not support Unicode.... To been sad, since some language require it. My own software does support is, since BlitzMax allways use 16 bit strings. I even got support for Arabic recently, even it not perfect.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.