Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: $9 'Super Easy' USB Controller hack for MAME  (Read 52713 times)

dmworking247

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
$9 'Super Easy' USB Controller hack for MAME
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:51:08 pm »
I've recently come across a USB game controller (PS2-style), that has a PCB seemingly designed with hacking in mind. It has dedicated solder points and clear labels, and best of all, its cheap.

If you're debating whether to do a 'keyboard hack' or buy a dedicated encoder like an IPAC, then this USB controller hack is a very cheap and viable alternative as it is far easier to hack, far less time consuming, and suffers none of the 'ghosting' problems of keyboard hacks.

That said, if you dont understand the basic concepts of 'ground wires', soldering, or these pictures generally don't make sense to you, then the easiest option is to buy an encoder like the IPAC Value Edition. 

Note also that *MAME* can be configured to use any input you like for any button, and most other emulators can too. This is how you're able to use a usb controller which appears to Windows/MAME as a USB joystick.  The IPAC however actually emulates KEYBOARD and there's no fiddling with MAME settings, plus you can reprogram a dedicated encoder to be used for dedicated buttons like 'enter' and 'escape' etc that might be used in other programs (other than mame).  There are of course utilities like joy2key (?) that map your joystick buttons to keyboard buttons, so there are ways around it even with this controller hack... it just requires a little more fiddling around with software setup.

In a nutshell, if all you want is to interface your arcade controls with MAME and nothing else, and you're able to use a soldering iron, this hack is a great option.

Here's some information on hacking the Deal Extreme 'ultra hackable' USB game controller. (at the time of writing, US$9.19 each with free delivery).

With this controller, you can get 4 directions + 10 buttons (4 face buttons, 2x2 trigger buttons, plus start and select).
This could be used to give you a 1 player, 8 button with credit & start.
or 2 players with one button each, and a single credit / start button.

Realistically for two player I recommend just using two gamepads.

So without further ado:

Notes: MAME can be configured to use whatever button you like, so it doesn't really matter about the sequence/numbering of the buttons, nevertheless I've marked them for you.

When I tried chopping off off the analog controls the controller was trying to go up/left constantly. When I reattached the analog control sticks it was fine again. Thus I've concluded its best to leave them on, as its easier than putting a resistor or whatnot to make it 'think' it still has them.

Not bad for 20 mins work... I'm starting to think it takes me less time than hooking up an IPAC!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:39:55 am by dmworking247 »

jholman76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2015, 03:40:45 pm
Re: $9 'Super Easy' USB Controller hack for MAME
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:12:53 pm »
Thats amazing. I just did a Logitech Precision pad hack for 10 bucks and it wasnt that easy... I ended up using 4 grounds.... thats annoying.

I might have to get me one of these for my bartop that I am starting....

good find, my friend. There is just something about making the CP rather than buying a IPAC, although they are great items.

You think its possible to re-locate the analogs to a CP and use them?

Joe

Singapura

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2015, 08:43:05 pm
  • I, for one welcome our new insect overlords!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:19:24 pm »
Good old dealextreme. I love that shop, got so many useful items from there.   :laugh:
Wish list: Galaga, Pacman, Pooyan, Star Wars cockpit, Gauntlet, Tron

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

jholman76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:23:45 pm »
yah, i see they have the "iFone".

It would be fun to get one and freak some people out here, since we dont have AT&T in my area...

they are legit, eh? just chinese products, I assume.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:35:28 pm »
You think its possible to re-locate the analogs to a CP and use them?

I think thats quite easy actually.  Just chop the ribbon cable between the PCB and the analog sticks and put some extra ribbon cable (ie an extention) in the middle.  You might need to be a little creative about how to secure the analog stick PCB under the control panel, but its definitely possible.

DealExtreme also have some Playstation 2 controllers even cheaper. I intend to hack one of these when it arrives and see if its just as easy, and at the time I'll probably do something fancy with the rumble motors & analog sticks in a desktop control panel, so I'll post an update when/if I do that.

jholman76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:56:57 pm »
That might be interesting for games that can take advantage of it... STOP GIVING ME IDEAS

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:06:19 pm »
Great link!  Exactly what I was looking for.  I just ordered 3 for my 2 cabs I am building.

Thanks for sharing!

~ D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

wbassett

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2023, 04:34:49 am
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »
This is very interesting, especially for anyone looking to do a modular/swappable panel system.

Although using an IPAQ or Keywiz looks easy enough, for a swappable panel system nothing would be easier than having everything USB and a USB hub under the CP, then just plug the panel in and go.  

Very interesting.

jholman76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 11:38:20 pm »
so before I order a couple... you tested it and you only need 1 ground for everything and there is no phantom keys, etc?

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:20:55 am »
Thats correct. 'Ghosting' is generally only a problem when hacking a keyboard because it uses a matrix of circuits when closed in combination, form a particular key press.

As I understand it, USB controllers like this, and encoders like ipac etc have dedicated circuits for each button so there's no risk of 'pressing A + B = Button C'

Before soldering everything to a single ground wire, I tested all of the ground points of every button with other ground points, to confirm they were common.

Nevertheless, if you're still unsure, order one of them, give it a try, then order some more :)

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 01:29:09 am »
What are the blocks under the analog sticks? 2 potmeters?
Can you hookup this one to those:
http://www.arcadeshop.de/Joysticks-LS-64-Analog-Stick_718.html

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 01:50:35 am »
What are the blocks under the analog sticks? 2 potmeters?
Can you hookup this one to those:
http://www.arcadeshop.de/Joysticks-LS-64-Analog-Stick_718.html

Yes, two pots and a tiny microswitch (as you'd probably know, the PS2 style analog sticks function as a  button when you press them down).

You could hook up one of those  analog sticks you linked to, providing the pots have the same resistance range.

After a little more thought, the pots are actually reading zero resistance in their 'home' position, which leads me to believe you can chop off the analog sticks if you wanted to, but you'd need to figure which wires from the ribbon cable need to be joined together to 'pass through'. In other words, I think when the analog sticks are in their home position (reading zero resistance/straight continuity) its closing a circuit, and thus when I chopped the wires, its reading 'fully open') if that makes sense.   

I couldn't be bothered experimenting with that level of detail right now hence I just left them connected :)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 03:01:08 am »
i hacked something very similar to that for a project. then i got ambitious and decided to tidy it up by removing the thumbsticks. killed it dead! so good advice there on leaving them in place!

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 08:05:14 am »
Nice find!

A quick heads up for you UK byoac'ers or anyone outside of the US, they offer free worldwide shipping too!  :)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 02:46:44 pm »
Thats correct. 'Ghosting' is generally only a problem when hacking a keyboard because it uses a matrix of circuits when closed in combination, form a particular key press.

As I understand it, USB controllers like this, and encoders like ipac etc have dedicated circuits for each button so there's no risk of 'pressing A + B = Button C'

This is actually not true.  Gamepads can (and sometimes do) exhibit ghosting / blocking, just like keyboards.  This can be associated with a couple of things.

The first is the use of a matrix for decoding button presses.  Using a matrix allows for more buttons to be attached to fewer inputs, so it tends to be used as a cost saving measure.

The other is the USB report structure used by the device, coupled with the way memory is allocated.  Granted, this would be a sloppy implementation, but I've seen some doozies that were designed only to look very capable for a very low price, with little regard to actual performance.

That being said, I have had these on the store for ages, pretty much for this purpose.  Same setup w/14 inputs, and no analog sticks.  I can provide just the board (pre-gutted) as well.  Good for a simple control panel for the BIL or something.

RandyT

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 03:33:35 pm »
This sort of hack would only be useful for 4-way joystick games, yes?

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 03:36:40 pm »
This sort of hack would only be useful for 4-way joystick games, yes?

No. 8-way sticks only have 4 switches.

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 03:38:10 pm »
That's a lot more useful than I figured, then.  :D

Randy, the game pads on your site would be hacked in pretty much the same way?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:39:43 pm by Benevolance »

wbassett

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2023, 04:34:49 am
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 03:59:52 pm »
I can provide just the board (pre-gutted) as well.  Good for a simple control panel for the BIL or something.

RandyT
You wouldn't happen to have any Sidewinder Dual Strike boards would you?

jholman76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 07:01:44 pm »
Randy-

So, do the ones you have on your site all have a common ground? I'm looking for super easy here, I got burned on the last one I did.

If they have a similiar ground and are cheaper with shipping, I may have to take you up on a few.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 09:31:07 pm »
I agree.

RandyT, I'd prefer to buy your controllers (even though DX has free shipping) if they're equally easy to solder and have a common ground, as it means I could grab other items I needed at the same time.

Any chance you could post a few more details of the controllers you stock, such as photos of the solder points inside and confirmation they have a common ground?

Is the price the same for the stripped down unit? More? Less?

AwesomeAlbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2014, 12:14:28 am
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 10:26:06 pm »
anyone know of a super easy super cheap keyboard hack? something for a super old $5 garage sale computer with no usb....it has an AT keyboard with a din connection  :dizzy:

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 10:12:38 am »
Randy, the game pads on your site would be hacked in pretty much the same way?

Almost exactly.  These also have large points to solder to and a common ground setup.

Here's a photo:

RandyT

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 10:56:51 am »

Also want to mention that drilling a hole for the wire is largely unnecessary.  Just strip a very short section of insulation from the end of your wire.  Then put a little ball of solder on the pad.  If you have some liquid flux, then dip the end of the wire into it.  If not, tin the end of the wire with some solder.  Then just heat the ball of solder while pushing the end of the wire into it.  Pause your iron there for just a second to make sure everything is good and hot, then pull the iron away while holding the wire in place.  Give it a couple seconds to cool and it's done.

RandyT

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 11:05:05 am »
I would suggest that if you use Randy's method (which is how I do most of my hacks, btw), you should secure the solder joint and a bit of the wire with some hot glue when you are done.  This will prevent a yank on the wire ripping up the copper traces from the pcb. 

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 11:33:29 am »
I would suggest that if you use Randy's method (which is how I do most of my hacks, btw), you should secure the solder joint and a bit of the wire with some hot glue when you are done.  This will prevent a yank on the wire ripping up the copper traces from the pcb. 

Yes, that's a good suggestion.  However, you don't really want to do this right on the joint.  It's much better to strain relieve the wires themselves, alone or as a group, elsewhere on the board.  If you should ever need to fix a solder joint, or re-use the board for something, hot glue will make that nearly impossible.

RandyT

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 11:45:59 am »
Those controllers look pretty good RandyT, shame I didn't know about them earlier.

I suspect however that even a bulk order might be costly to Australia due to the weight in postage. Maybe when I get my projects under control I'll think about the best way to grab some of those along with various other items I need (like new actuators for the happs :D )

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 11:50:36 am »
I suspect however that even a bulk order might be costly to Australia due to the weight in postage. Maybe when I get my projects under control I'll think about the best way to grab some of those along with various other items I need (like new actuators for the happs :D )
Don't they offer free worldwide shipping?

A quick heads up for you UK byoac'ers or anyone outside of the US, they offer free worldwide shipping too!  :)

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 06:54:18 pm »
Yeah DealExtreme (The controller/link in my initial post) is free WorldWide shipping.

My comment was about ordering the slightly cheaper but equally good (by the looks of that picture) controller from GroovyGameGear.  GGG's shipping isnt free.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 01:04:57 am »
** EDIT ** Whoops!  Was wondering where my post went!  Wrong topic...  :banghead:

I killed the pics to not waste any space on the server.

~ D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:05:45 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 04:18:32 am »
Were you testing a hacked gamepad at the time, or are you just posting in the wrong thread? :D

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 06:04:59 am »
Update:

I also ordered a WIRELESS PS2 CONTROLLER for US$19.84

I've just opened it up and its just as easy to hack. I'm going to incorporate it into a desktop controller in the coming weeks so I'll post some pictures and an update on how well it works wirelessly then.

Edit: I've successfully hacked it, and it works great!  One point to note however is that there's a 'common ground' for the directions and all of the buttons, however the start, select, and analog/digital switch button has its own shared ground.  For a standard control panel you wouldn't need these buttons, but I'm going to attempt something a little bit more fancy :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:24:19 am by dmworking247 »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 12:07:27 pm »
That wireless hack would be great for those who are using a media center PC.  You can simply bust out your control panel when you want to play and there will be no wires to fuss with.  Hmmm...

~ D

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 12:23:49 pm »
I have some wireless Saitek PC gamepads for that very purpose...   ;)

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 12:26:45 pm »
I used a PS2 dvd remote to make a Guitar Hero star power pedal. Turned out great.

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 03:35:57 pm »
That's an excellent idea.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2008, 04:26:39 pm »
I used a PS2 dvd remote to make a Guitar Hero star power pedal. Turned out great.

Cool, I have a PS@ remote still laying around. Aren't they directional though? The wireless control pads I'm using are 2.4ghz radio frequency, whereas the remote controls are infrared?

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 04:41:22 pm »
I just aim it at the PS2 and put it on the floor. The IR LED is sticking out through a hole in the front, and I have a sturdy button on top wired to the SELECT button on remote. I then covered it in random red and white stripes Eddie Van Halen style.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 09:50:56 am »
Quick update:

I've now incorporated the PS2 and USB versions into my desktop controller project(s) and am happy to report they suffer no ghosting and no noticable lag.

Success!

AwesomeAlbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2014, 12:14:28 am
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 09:00:20 pm »
Update:

I also ordered a WIRELESS PS2 CONTROLLER for US$19.84

I've just opened it up and its just as easy to hack. I'm going to incorporate it into a desktop controller in the coming weeks so I'll post some pictures and an update on how well it works wirelessly then.

Edit: I've successfully hacked it, and it works great!  One point to note however is that there's a 'common ground' for the directions and all of the buttons, however the start, select, and analog/digital switch button has its own shared ground.  For a standard control panel you wouldn't need these buttons, but I'm going to attempt something a little bit more fancy :D

will this wireless joystick work with a ps2 to usb adapter to use it wirelessly for ps2 and pc?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:00:05 pm by AwesomeAlbert »