Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: $9 'Super Easy' USB Controller hack for MAME  (Read 52706 times)

Beretta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2021, 02:11:30 pm
Re: $9 'Super Easy' USB Controller hack for MAME
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2009, 06:09:54 pm »
randy do you have a shot of the pads taken apart so i can compare circuit boards?

also how are you able to get dpad axis with out this type of setup?

IE: you can have + or - not both at the same time (that would be illogical).. or do your pads show up as 14 buttons and no axis at all?

i've never seen a gamepad or a joystick that did'nt have X/Y axis

EDIT: never mind i found a picture from earlier in the thread.
you're right those appear to have a common ground for everything..

question: what happens when you wire it to controls and use left and right or up and down at the same time? thats assuming it still represents the d-pad as X/Y axis to the computer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:45:15 pm by Beretta »
Anyone got change for a dollar?
PLEASE HELP NEED Fastmame .70 and .9* releases

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2009, 06:21:43 pm »
Hey Beretta,

Would/could you run your ground from the 1st spot or 2nd on this?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Beretta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2009, 08:04:57 pm »
yup looks like you got the right idea, although you could follow that circuit on the d-pad secondary ground and there looks to be a piece of metal being used as a jumper..

i've marked it this would b ea lot easier to solder to then the d-pads contacts.

i've also marked the other solder points.. please double check with a multi meter as this pad is slightly different then the one i just recently hacked, mine had turbo buttons but looks to be made by the same people as everything else looks the same.

if you desolder the top fire buttons you can get rid of their clutter also you can use their holes as a easy way to solder your wires, just tin the wire, stick it through the hole and put a little heat on it.

but you look like you got a good handle on it already.

also a tip dont solder the up or right.. or if you solder the up or right dont bother soldering the left and down.

x-axis + ground = left
x-axis + secondary ground = right

y-axis + ground = down
y-axis + secondary ground = up

or

left/right + ground = left
left/right + secondary ground = right
up/down + ground = down
up/down + secondary ground = up

like i said double check with a multi meter before soldering but what i've marked shoudl be correct..

EDIT: important tip: do not solder while it is plugged into anything like your computer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:07:58 pm by Beretta »

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2009, 08:20:50 pm »
yup looks like you got the right idea, although you could follow that circuit on the d-pad secondary ground and there looks to be a piece of metal being used as a jumper..

Ya, I saw that little jumper too. Thought about using it but I think the other will be better/easier too use.

Thanks for the tips on not soldering those extra inputs. (I was gonna) I'm not sure why you don't have to but I'll take your word for it.  ;D
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

wachin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2012, 02:50:46 pm
  • "Do you like P5Us?"
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2009, 01:43:55 am »
Thanks for the tips on not soldering those extra inputs. (I was gonna) I'm not sure why you don't have to but I'll take your word for it.  ;D

Essentially, because "Left" & "Right" are the same input and "Up" & "Down" are the same input, they are only differentiated by their Ground.  So you can just daisy chain the input from Left to Right and then run one Ground to Left and the other Ground to Right.  Same goes for Up & Down.  Both have the same input from the board, but Up has one ground and Down has the other.  This is just echoing what IG-88 has already posted.

If the board had one common ground, there would be 4 directional inputs and a daisy chained ground for them all.

Beretta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2009, 07:16:00 am »
ya like wachin pointed out.. it's kind a double edge sword.

on one hand you gotta remember to use the D-pad inputs for joy sticks or at least buttons that wont be pressed at the same time.

on the other hand it cuts the number of transmission wires needed since you effectively get 4 inputs with just 4 wires.. 2 for the axis and 2 for ground

just requires a little bit different wiring at the joystick.

if everything used a common ground you'ed need 5 wires, 4 inputs + 1 ground.
functionally you'ed gain nothing since you can't do up + down, or left + right physically on joy stick in the first place.

this also helped in my case since im gonna use a 25pin printer cable, 6 buttons each + start = 11 inputs for each player.. since i need 2 grounds but also 2 less input wires, it's a 11 wires * 2 = 22 leaving 3 pins left over, enough to get 5 & 12 volt lines to the control panel for lights and what not later on if needed.

if it used a common ground for all inputs then it would 12 (11inputs + 1 ground) wires each needed * 2 = 24.. so no room left for 5 or 12 volt feeds..

so this matrix setup on the D-pads can actually be beneficial in the right situation.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2009, 12:31:34 pm »
so this matrix setup on the D-pads can actually be beneficial in the right situation.

If you step back and take a look at all of this discussion about how to wire the board, it's not hard to come to the conclusion that a matrix setup is never beneficial to the user, if for no other reason than increased complexity.  Making sure the D-Pad is connected to the stick is pretty much a "no-brainer", as this is an OS thing that would be a requirement, regardless of the pad (or controller) being used.

Matrix setups are solely to the benefit of the hardware manufacturer.  They allow less capable devices to handle more inputs, but in cases where slow processors are used, they can introduce lag.  And lag really can be a concern on these types of inexpensive controllers.  While they can be a good choice for a small panel that is being made as cheaply as possible, there really is no comparing them with a fast controller with dedicated inputs like the GP-Wiz for serious gaming.

RandyT

Beretta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2009, 04:14:51 pm »
well that maybe true, but testing the pads before hacking i seen no "lag" i know this can be a problem on hacked keyboards, but i honestly dont see this being a problem on these pads.

if im wrong i'll come back and eat crow.

obviously one without a matrixed dpad and a common ground for everything is preferable for no other reason then simplified wiring.

although in this particular case saving those 2 extra transmission wires lets me put 5 or 12v power on the cable for future use with led's or something, so it DOES have a benefit in this situation.

you are right about why they would use a matrix setup in the first place.. but lets look at this.. we know it's naively supporting 2 out of 4 directions, correct? you can't press more then 2 at a time, like i said the computer would'nt understand an axis being both + and - from center at the same time, thats illogical in the first place.

also the pads you have i assume that they still represent the dpad to the computer as X/Y axis. so what happens if you press left + right at the same time? or up and down?

im guessing it either 1. dont work, or simply registers right blocking left,
or 2. causes a fault that requires you to remove/reinsert the usb connector.

so you'ed still be forced to use it as the joystick, i can't see what you possibly gain other then a little simpler to wire, of course there is the possible buffer or que overflow but it think that possibility is rather remote even on these cheap matrixed pads.

now dont get me wrong the pads your selling are fine, im not digging at those because like i said it's still preferable i just dont imagine the "lag" will be a issue even on these cheap pads.

btw im curious how many button presses can the ones you're selling handle per second? i ask this because not having a matrix pad can still leads to that lag you was talking about if it has a small buffer, and no offense but those look like cheap chinese pads as well.. perhaps a better cheap chinese pad but still a cheap chinese pad.

and i do like the price point of your key wiz eco, but this setup is ultimately half the price.
and if you're not making a franken panel.

PS. i need some terminal blocks to finish up my controls for easier wiring, the ones you have can you give me the dimensions of them? i already mounted my pads on some wood so i only have so much space to fit the blocks on.

also any quantity discounts on your electric ice buttons? im gonna need like 40 of them for my 2nd project i plan on placing a order but im still tallying up everything i need cause im gonna be doing 2 or 3 projects, im doing them one at a time but i wanna try and get everything at once to save on shipping and so i'll have it on hand.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2009, 05:46:02 pm »
well that maybe true, but testing the pads before hacking i seen no "lag" i know this can be a problem on hacked keyboards, but i honestly dont see this being a problem on these pads.

if im wrong i'll come back and eat crow.

"Lag" tends to be one of those things you don't notice until you notice it ;).  That may sound funny, but it's true.  It depends on the game you are playing, and so on.  When you tend to see it is when you have been using a cheap hack for a while, and then upgrade to a "real" interface.  I can absolutely tell the difference between the two when playing.  My first panel used hacks, btw.

you are right about why they would use a matrix setup in the first place.. but lets look at this.. we know it's naively supporting 2 out of 4 directions, correct? you can't press more then 2 at a time, like i said the computer would'nt understand an axis being both + and - from center at the same time, thats illogical in the first place.

Correct, and it's a perfectly reasonable thing for the manufacturer to do.  But it adds processing steps to implement it, and believe me when I tell you that the processors used on these dirt cheap controllers are the "bottom of the barrel".  It can make a difference.  Whether it does to any one individual will depend on them and the types of games they like to play.

also the pads you have i assume that they still represent the dpad to the computer as X/Y axis. so what happens if you press left + right at the same time? or up and down?

im guessing it either 1. dont work, or simply registers right blocking left,
or 2. causes a fault that requires you to remove/reinsert the usb connector.

so you'ed still be forced to use it as the joystick, i can't see what you possibly gain other then a little simpler to wire, of course there is the possible buffer or que overflow but it think that possibility is rather remote even on these cheap matrixed pads.

Heh.  None of what you are saying would be likely on any of these.  There is always some rule by which the programmer handles this situation.  On the pads from our store, it first goes back to center, and when pressed again, it goes that direction.  They would never "overflow" or cause a "USB fault".

btw im curious how many button presses can the ones you're selling handle per second? i ask this because not having a matrix pad can still leads to that lag you was talking about if it has a small buffer, and no offense but those look like cheap chinese pads as well.. perhaps a better cheap chinese pad but still a cheap chinese pad.

They are.  But the fact that the processor has more direct inputs probably indicates a better processor.  At minimum, it is one which does not need extra routines to de-multiplex input, possibly using cycles not easily spared.

BTW, I don't really care where folks purchase their gamepads from.  It's not even worth talking about in a "business" sense, for the 10 a year we seem to sell ;).  But folks need to know that they are not all created equal, and that they do not perform nearly as well as real interface.  Sometimes the money is better spared elsewhere, but this will depend on individual needs and expectations.

RandyT

Beretta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2009, 08:29:58 pm »
well dont worry i'll be sure to let everyone know how they work out, i already bought a 2nd pair im gonna hack later tonight or tomorrow for furture use, i've got some playstation pads already hacked but dont need the analog so thats why i bought these cheap usb ones.

i dont want some laggy controls and i mostly play side scrollers and fighters so im sure if anything the lag would be apparent on fighters.

but like i said if they suck i'll eat crow.

anyway what about below

PS. i need some terminal blocks to finish up my controls for easier wiring, the ones you have can you give me the dimensions of them? i already mounted my pads on some wood so i only have so much space to fit the blocks on.

also any quantity discounts on your electric ice buttons? im gonna need like 40 of them for my 2nd project i plan on placing a order but im still tallying up everything i need cause im gonna be doing 2 or 3 projects, im doing them one at a time but i wanna try and get everything at once to save on shipping and so i'll have it on hand.

wachin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2012, 02:50:46 pm
  • "Do you like P5Us?"
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2009, 08:15:06 pm »

Here's some information on hacking the Deal Extreme 'ultra hackable' USB game controller. (at the time of writing, US$9.19 each with free delivery).

With this controller, you can get 4 directions + 10 buttons (4 face buttons, 2x2 trigger buttons, plus start and select).
This could be used to give you a 1 player, 8 button with credit & start.
or 2 players with one button each, and a single credit / start button.

So I finally got around to hacking the original USB controller from the 1st post and was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually had 16 inputs!  Aside from the obvious 4 directions and 10 buttons, the analog sticks can be pushed in and register as buttons 11 & 12.

This would be a great setup for a simple 2 player CP with 2 action buttons and their own coin & start buttons.

Joe504

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2009, 01:51:26 pm
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2009, 01:11:52 pm »
This thread has really helped me out and made me decide to try and hack a couple of controllers. What I am doing is actually for an old Atari DB9 style joystick. What I wanted to be able to do is to wire the DB9 directly to the directional spots on the game pad. This would allow me to swap this joystick with any other game pad. Im doing the same thing with a NES controller. When it all works, I wont have to change any config settings when I change from one controller to the other.

So, my question is, how do I wire this if I do not have a common ground? The pad I have is almost identical to the one pictured above. It appears that the Left and Down share a common ground, but Right and Up have a different ground. The DB9 plug for the Atari does have a common ground.

Am I asking the right questions? What do I need to do so I do not have to change any configs when I swap controllers?

Thanks for any help.

Beretta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2009, 01:33:05 pm »
if you dont have a common then you'll need to run a seperate wire for each button.. so 2 wires for each button instead of 1 + common.

Avinitlarge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2020, 04:39:08 pm
    • iPhone For Free
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2009, 04:37:46 pm »
I have hacked a game pad to test it to see how it was. Its performance was great, No lag, Just worked perfect. Ive just bought another 2 to hack. I do have one concern though. For example, Pad 1 Button 10 is credit and Pad 2 button 10 is escape, What is to stop pad 1 becoming pad 2 after restarting the computer?

bkenobi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2009, 07:04:12 pm »
Isn't Windows great?  Actually, if the pads are named differently or have a different ID then this can be handled with JoyIDs.  I'm sure there's a link in the Wiki somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm

Avinitlarge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2020, 04:39:08 pm
    • iPhone For Free
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2009, 08:29:18 pm »
Hmmm, I will give that a try tomorrow

paulliadis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2019, 03:45:59 pm
  • I'm just this guy, you know?
    • blog
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2010, 08:22:43 am »
This is a great thread and has convinced me that usb controller hack would be the way to go rather than keyboard hack.

Here's my question. I found this controller at gamestop. Would this be a good option for the controller hack?

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=28592

Sorry for the newb question. I am a newb, though, so I guess it's fitting

Paul

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2010, 01:51:12 pm »
This is a old thread about hacking a USB gampad NOT a PS2 gamepad.  If you want to hack a USB gamepad, I STRONGLY suggest you get a USB gamepad NOT a PS2 gamepad!  Also nobody can tell how easy a gamepad will be to hack without seeing the inside of the gamepad.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:06:17 pm by JustMichael »

paulliadis

• Offline Offline
    • blog
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2010, 02:02:30 pm »
I could've done without the condescension JustMichael. Like I said, I'm new here. I found a topic that I thought matched what I was asking.

To be honest I don't have a PS2 controller to know how they connect to the console. I thought that perhaps they connect via USB.

If it's not proper for people to comment on "long dead" threads then why are they still here? Maybe they should be marked read-only?

Better yet, I'll find a forum that's a bit more welcoming.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2010, 02:09:23 pm »
That JustMichael is justmean!  :afro:

If you are looking for a controller for your PC, you'll either need a wired 360 controller or USB controller.  PS2 controllers have their own style connector that won't connect to a PC on its own.

paulliadis

• Offline Offline
    • blog
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2010, 02:12:19 pm »
Thanks HarumaN. That clears things up for me. I'm a Nintendo guy since the NES days (trying to regain a little street cred here) so I'm really not familiar with the PS2. That makes sense though.

I'll probably wind up buying the controller originally listed in this thread then and hack it.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2010, 02:14:10 pm »
Thanks HarumaN. That clears things up for me. I'm a Nintendo guy since the NES days (trying to regain a little street cred here) so I'm really not familiar with the PS2. That makes sense though.

I'll probably wind up buying the controller originally listed in this thread then and hack it.

That would work.  And, in all fairness, the controller in the beginning of this thread looks a lot like a PS2 controller.

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2011, 04:02:26 am »
It arrived and I took it apart. I took some photos for you. I don't know what to do now because I don't have any controls, but I do have a multimeter if anyone wants me to test anything.

I bought a couple of these on DealExtreme for $5,80. Is it just me, or is it something strange with UP and RIGHT on this board?

For me it seemed like you would need a common wire for up and right, and you could not use ground. If you did, it went DOWN or LEFT instead...(?).

For that I needed to solder to one of the buttons, as it didn't have any solder spots. I used a 30W solder iron, and it actually broke the buttons on the PCB.   :angry:

I did an easy hack - I just scraped off some of the plastic PCB, so that I came down to the metal, added some flux, and soldered without problems.
I will attach a couple of pictures later, as the finished result (after my crappy soldering) worked perfectly!

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Weee! Hahaha...

boardjunkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2019, 06:05:58 pm
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2012, 10:32:14 am »
I've been doing this since gamepads were gameport only (not USB). Easy enough if you know what yer doin'. The USB mouse board to arcade trackball is a bit more involved, but still no big whoop if you know what to do.

wild_eyed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2020, 06:05:39 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2013, 07:49:33 pm »
Sorry to druge this up....
but does anyone know where i can find a cheap easy hack usb keyboard???
the dx link on page one is dead.

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2013, 08:26:38 pm »
This discussion is primarily USB gamepads.  USB keyboards have severe limitations and do not hack well as controllers. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2013, 09:45:19 pm »
Sorry to druge this up....
but does anyone know where i can find a cheap easy hack usb keyboard???
the dx link on page one is dead.

Either use a Minimus AVR and the KADE firmware or Degenatrons mentioned that if you recompile the KADE source code for ATMega32u4, you can use this chinese board (looks like an inexpensive knockoff of the Sparkfun Pro Micro) since,
atmega32u4 IC is entirely compatible with the previous KADE firmwares whilst providing more pins + analog.

Scott

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
$9 'Super Easy' USB Controller hack for MAME
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2013, 01:50:59 am »
In this hobby, one thing I do not miss is pad hacks.  I am damn good at them but will never do another one again. One bad wire pull and it never works right again.  If you are on a tight budget, listen to Scott.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2013, 06:10:12 am »
You can find all sorts of cheap USB interfaces on eBay. I think I paid like $10 for the last one I bought - With cables included! Just connect to the buttons and you're ready to hook up the USB.

The USB pad hack I did earlier will be replaced by one of these USB interfaces.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2013, 06:32:02 am »
You can find all sorts of cheap USB interfaces on eBay. I think I paid like $10 for the last one I bought - With cables included! Just connect to the buttons and you're ready to hook up the USB.

The USB pad hack I did earlier will be replaced by one of these USB interfaces.

Lots of inexpensive gamepad-style encoders like the ZD or Xin-Mo, but for low-cost keyboard-style encoders like Wild-eyed was asking about, an AVR Encoder setup has the best price to performance ratio IMHO.

Scott

wild_eyed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2013, 02:01:31 pm »
what was the "Kade" i kinda remember something about it.... did it not pan out?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2013, 02:57:26 pm »
what was the "Kade" i kinda remember something about it.... did it not pan out?

(older prototype version)

The KADE has turned out great and the team is working on still more firmwares and developing an expanded hardware platform with analog inputs, but I figured you were looking for an inexpensive solution, so I suggested getting an inexpensive AVR, doing the soldering yourself, and using the KADE firmware.

That's the nice thing about the KADE project -- it's open source so you can either buy the finished product from them here or buy the hardware from another source and use their firmware to "roll your own" as the saying goes.

You can also compile the source code to work with a different board like I did (with help from Jon :cheers:) for the ATMega32U4 in this analog stick build which is based on the USB HID Joystick firmware with a few added lines of code to handle the analog to digital conversion.

The KADE project even has 3rd party developers like Rablack97 who has a working prototype here for automated switching between PC and XBox.

Scott

johnnygal2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2022, 03:16:04 am
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2013, 07:11:26 pm »

Either use a Minimus AVR and the KADE firmware or Degenatrons mentioned that if you recompile the KADE source code for ATMega32u4, you can use this chinese board (looks like an inexpensive knockoff of the Sparkfun Pro Micro) since,
atmega32u4 IC is entirely compatible with the previous KADE firmwares whilst providing more pins + analog.

Scott
Hi there,
Can you point me towards any instructions for compiling for ATMega32u4?
I can see instructions for getting the source and dev environment setup for compiling for the Minimus AVR but what needs to changed for a ATMega32u4 target?

Thanks,
John

wild_eyed

• Offline Offline
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:09:46 pm by wild_eyed »

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2016, 05:53:23 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2013, 05:13:48 am »

Scott
Hi there,
I can see instructions for getting the source and dev environment setup for compiling for the Minimus AVR but what needs to changed for a ATMega32u4 target?

Thanks,
John

You will need to update the makefile to set MCU and remove the board specific setting for minimus
i.e.
MCU = atmega32u4
#BOARD = MINIMUS

That should be enough to compile the firmware but you may need to adapt the pin assignments to suit your avr of choice.

johnnygal2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2022, 03:16:04 am
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2013, 06:15:34 am »

Scott
Hi there,

Thanks,
John

You will need to update the makefile to set MCU and remove the board specific setting for minimus
i.e.
MCU = atmega32u4
#BOARD = MINIMUS

That should be enough to compile the firmware but you may need to adapt the pin assignments to suit your avr of choice.
Thanks, I'll give that a go.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2013, 07:22:43 am »
is this good?

http://dx.com/p/arduino-duemilanove-mega-avr-atmega1280-16au-usb-board-118042

or this

http://dx.com/p/diy-funduino-uno-r3-development-board-microcontroller-w-usb-cable-240588

With those two, you would need to recompile the source and possibly adjust the pin addresses/numbers.  :dunno

KADE Loader currently supports AT90USB162 (16k and 32k versions both work fine) and ATMega32U2 boards without recompiling.

AT90USB162 boards are available at various vendors such as:
- Foundmy 16k and 32k
- Modchip Central 16k and 32k (currently out-of-stock)

ATMega32U2 boards are available at various vendors such as:
- CK3.co.uk

If you need up to 20 dedicated inputs + 20 shifted inputs, these will work great with all current KADE firmwares.

Jon is also working on a customisable "impossible keypresses" firmware with up to 26 inputs + 26 shifted inputs for KADE -- that I still need to install and beta test. (Sorry, Jon.  Got a little side-tracked.  :embarassed:)

Scott