Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: worth restoring this game?  (Read 6382 times)

jasonl2972

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2015, 12:26:14 am
worth restoring this game?
« on: June 23, 2012, 04:12:25 pm »
there's an ad for an arcade games local to me that i was thinking of picking up but when i got the pics and tried to research them i couldn't find anything out about them.anyone have any info on this and if its  worth restoring?Its a Que Bert game but its not Q-bert...or is it?i've never seen it spelled like this and i can't find any mention of it.Or am i just a dummy and don't remember that thats what it looked like before way back in the day.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:22:16 pm by jasonl2972 »
Games I own. -Neo Geo 4 slot-Sega Turbo Outrun-Space Gun-Sega Hang on-World Series Baseball-Q-bert-V Ball-Magic Sword-Asteroids-Namco sticker club-Touch master 7000-Claw machine-Slot machine

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: worth restoring this game?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:15:02 pm »
Tell them $50 cash in hand.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 04:18:53 pm »
Tell them $50 cash in hand.
Thats about what i was thinking,but what is the game??and is it even worth it.I don't know if its some rare game made before Q-bert or if its some knock off or what
Games I own. -Neo Geo 4 slot-Sega Turbo Outrun-Space Gun-Sega Hang on-World Series Baseball-Q-bert-V Ball-Magic Sword-Asteroids-Namco sticker club-Touch master 7000-Claw machine-Slot machine

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 04:19:19 pm »
Yep, I spent $50 today on a cab with fewer usable parts... there is a good start to a cool cab there, if you are looking for a project
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 04:23:31 pm »
i'm wondering if the cab used to be something else now,added some pics to maybe help.Yep,just checked and its a Mars cab with some other game put in.Looks like a knock off q-bert in an old mars cab i'm guessing.now i'm curious and may just have to grap this one up.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:26:49 pm by jasonl2972 »

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 08:52:17 pm »
i'm wondering if the cab used to be something else now,added some pics to maybe help.Yep,just checked and its a Mars cab with some other game put in.Looks like a knock off q-bert in an old mars cab i'm guessing.now i'm curious and may just have to grap this one up.

I would.

Is it functional at all?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:21:58 pm »
I got $20 cash in hand for that marquee.

:laugh2:

The Mexican in me would pronounce that "KAY-Bert"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:25:38 pm by yotsuya »

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:03:32 pm »
i talked with him today and i'm going to pick it up this week,if it stops raining in my area.He said it currently won't power on so i'm not to sure what to expect.could be power supply,or could be just a bad wire.i have another i got that the guy said he never had it running and it turned out to be a hidin power switch on top behind a board.So you just never know,but when i get it home i'll take better pics and details and be able to figure out which route i'll be taking.

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 12:06:55 pm »

let me see whats up with the machine and i'll get back to you if you really want it.depends on what i'm gonna do with the whole game.if i don't use it then we'll work something out for sure.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 12:18:23 pm »

let me see whats up with the machine and i'll get back to you if you really want it.depends on what i'm gonna do with the whole game.if i don't use it then we'll work something out for sure.

If I were going to buy it and flip that thing tomorrow, I'd still ditch the "Que Bert" marquee. Sell it to Jim.

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 12:23:07 pm »
My cash offers are always serious.

:cheers:
Oh i took it as serious,just couldn't figure why anyone would want it..lol I will probably use the cab for a mame project as i was never into the q-bert games and the cab was from another game anyways.But i'll get it home and look it over then go from there.i'll be sure to get back to you either way

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 10:09:42 pm »
err
maybe because it is NOT a q-bert ?
20.00 is even high pjb...? man u are beening nice

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

Arimack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2021, 02:38:40 pm
  • OFNQ - Old Farts Never Quit -
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157605.0.html
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 11:18:18 am »
The side art is for a game called surprisingly enough: MARS (see link at KLOV):

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8628

And one member on KLOV is looking for a MARS to collect.  Might be a good way to flip it between the collector and PBJ for the marquee.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 09:39:46 am »
I kinda had one of these.

http://www.highscoresrepair.com/arcade/?cat=36

Perhaps yours is also a bootleg?

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 09:35:55 pm »
I kinda had one of these.

http://www.highscoresrepair.com/arcade/?cat=36

Perhaps yours is also a bootleg?
Wow,i had to look at it a few times,at first i thought it WAS your machine.The side graphics were kinda the same theme and threw me at first.i'll be picking this project up thursday after work and will be tearing into it shortly after that.
 On a second note,he also has a Bottom of the ninth cab thats gutted but with the monitor that i convinced him to throw into the deal.So its turned out to be a 2 package deal.In the pics you can see a small bit of it on the side of the Que Bert
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:38:24 pm by jasonl2972 »

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 11:03:00 pm »
well i finally picked this machine up,along with the bottom of the ninth cab he had.The "que bert" game turns on and i can here it playing but the monitor needs some work,its on but is just flashing lines all over so i'll have to look further into it.The game board inside has "cute bird" hand written on it,so there's another mystery yet to be solved.Its extremely clean inside and appears to have a new power supply.The "bottom of the ninth cab has no boards but the montior is in it and it too has a new power supply.Somebody put a williams pinball 3 slot coin door on it which was pretty cool.And it seems to be a jamma harness still in it.That cab used to be something else also as i can see yellow paint with some red under the black paint someone went over it with.Would love to know what the cab used to be as it does have a familiar shape to it.i'll take some pics and post.
 And pinball jim...the marquee turned out not to be constuction paper.It looks like someone reverse painted it by hand onto the plexi.To me it looks like they placed the letters after painting the red,then placed them again after going over it with yellow and made the shadow effect,then kinda dabbed some blue and painted it all white.It actually doesn't look all that bad..lol    But if you still want it,its yours

TGov

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2017, 02:07:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 09:28:47 pm »
That side artwork is awesome.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 12:14:08 pm »
It is probably an Artic / ATW cabinet. Their cabinets always looked familiar because most of their designs are pseudo copies of more popular cabinet designs. They had a few titles of their own and also shipped a whole lot of bootleg machines as well.

They mixed and matched parts like crazy and it is pretty hard to find any two Artic cabinets that are exactly alike. It could have very well been "Que Bert" all along (my ATW bootleg King and Balloon had Mars artwork everywhere but the marquee.

Cardboard marquees were quite common on Artic cabinets.

They are often in really good condition because the build quality of what was inside them was poor and the titles weren't all that great either, so many of them broke early and never got repaired.

Looks like yours has a non-original joystick.

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 03:54:03 pm »
Finally got some time to work on this machine.Its been sitting in the garage for months.At last check,as we already know now,its a mars cab and had a marquee that said "que bert".The boards inside were marked "cute bird" and it turned on but the screen was so out of control that nothing could be seen or read on it.So i never knew what game was actually in the cab.
 Well,jump to today and a few hours of cleaning connections on the monitor and i finally got it to work.It actually is a Q-BERT pcb board,not a bootleg or anything.All the correct wordings come up on screen and it works well now.Took a look at a few Q-BERT boards on line and sure enough its a match.Only problem i'm having is sizing the horiz. adjustment on the screen,but its just a matter of alittle more cleaning i think because all the adjustment contacts were so dirty and out of sinc it was the cause of all the problems.Other then that the monitor looks clear and crisp with no signs of burn in at all.
 Now i need to decide what to do with this thing.I'm not a huge q-bert fan but others that come over to the game room might be.The mars graphics and cab are just to nice to convert it to a q-bert cab.I had planned on using it as a mame cab for vert. games if i couldn't get it working.Now i'm just not sure what route to go.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 12:36:08 am »
Sell your working Qbert boards, and do what you wish with the cabinet.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 12:47:13 am »
Well,i've decided i'm going to pull the Q-bert board and sell it seeing as i'm not a big fan of the game and its not an original cab.I'll strip the cab out inside and put the parts in the parts bin and turn it into a nice vertical mame machine.For sure i'm going to keep the artwork on the side and maybe somehow change the "mars" to say "mame".So this will be the last i post on it here under restorations and when i get started on it i'll start a new thread under project announcments.Look for it soon,i'll be looking for help with idea's.Now i just have to finish up my other mame project and find the time for this one.

koolmoecraig

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2014, 07:07:20 pm
    • My Intervention
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 01:02:10 am »
Don't modify the artwork.  Nobody gives a crap if it says "MAME" or not.  Leave it like it is.