Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Metallic t-molding - anybody used the stuff?  (Read 5513 times)

Benevolance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
Metallic t-molding - anybody used the stuff?
« on: September 09, 2008, 06:46:14 pm »
T-molding dot com offers a metallic t-moldings in chrome and gold. I've ordered samples of both types for my project. The company assures me that the t-molding can be bent around 90 degree angles easily enough, but I'm curious if anybody here has hands-on experience with this kind of product?

Alternately, has anybody ever tried painting the smooth black 3/4" t-molding? Does it hold paint or does it flake off?

I was inspired by the Heavy Metal arcade cab in the Hall of Fame, and I aim to create something similar, but done in an early aviator theme with gold and iron and bronze.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
Re: Metallic t-molding - anybody used the stuff?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 01:05:23 am »
There's also actual metal t-molding (as opposed to "metallic").  This is what I used.  It's VERY VERY VERY nice.  I've only installed in on my control panels so far, but I've been experimenting with scrap pieces -- cutting wedges out of the stem and bending it around curves/corners.  It's definitely going to work.  I'm just using tin-snips, cos I somehow lost my Dremel tool.  It would be a lot easier with a Dremel and a metal or diamond cutting blade.  Or . . . not so much easier, but I'd get a better result.  If I'm not totally confident that it'll turn out right using tin-snips I'll head over to Harbor Freight and pick up a $20 Dremel knock-off.

FWIW, that chrome stuff from t-molding.com is totally bendy.  It's just regular t-molding with a mylar veneer (the material those get-well-soon balloons are made of).  It's pretty much as flexible as all the other colors.  But it doesn't look anywhere near as nice as real metal t-molding.  On the other hand, it's nowhere near as expensive as real metal t-molding.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

jban4us

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 08, 2013, 12:06:49 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 02:06:49 am »
I have gold on mine. Might have pictures up later if I can find a camera to borrow.

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:24:19 pm »
Wow. That's a fair difference in price for the real metal t-moldings. It's reassuring to know that the metallic t-molding is as bendy as the company says. But still, I think that real metal would look a lot better than a veneer. I guess I have to wait and see how the samples look when they arrive.

Jban4us, I would be interested in seeing pictures of the gold t-molding on a cabinet. In the product photos, it is difficult to determine the exact golden hue.

jban4us

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 08, 2013, 12:06:49 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 12:34:06 pm »
It is pretty much gold  :P

here are some pictures (taken with a less than great quality iSight camera):

It's hard to see what it really looks like in the pictures, especially with the flash and fluorescent lighting.

I'll have more pictures when I steal my girlfriend's camera and finally make a project thread.