Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: !Update! CP overlay and controls wired up! Neo Geo MVS Restoration Project  (Read 38684 times)

jtslade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2023, 11:34:45 am
  • Keep it looking originallish!
This was posted in announcements, but since it is a restoration I wanted to place it here for help and tips.

I am starting my 1st arcade restoration project and it is with a Neo Geo MVS-4 25 cab.

This will be a MAME cab, I am restoring this NEO GEO MVS to look exactly as it did in its glory. I would appreciate any help that anyone has.

I want to try and make this thing as authentic as possible with certain limitations.

- I am not drilling holes to suit a street-fighter setup, 4 buttons per player is fine by me. I want this thing to be identical to the way it looked originally.

- I live in Germany and getting a wells garner (Zenith original) monitor shipped is pretty much not possible so I am going to install a 25 " TV tube.

I have  a 1.7 P4 with a Geforce 5200 AGP and  1.5gb of ram.  Lots of HD.

- I need any advice on the specifics of TV mounting, which buttons and joysticks are authentic.  Repainting, mounting, electronic wiring.

- Is a Arcade VGA worth it for Svideo output to a TV.

- I will be needing to get a new control panel layout that matches the original.

-  I am also trying to find credit LED's and how to interface them with MAME.

- Don't worry I will use the search function and study each step before I do anything (ie discharge a TV) but I am just saying hello and if you have any words of wisdom let me know.

_ I have attached pics of the cab. Brace yourself for what some loser did to this once beautiful MVS cab. Other than that it is in good shape.

-Don't worry I make it look the way it should. NEO FO' Life

This is the hole they made for the lightgun, would a  big button mapped to the ESCAPE key be the best? Any thoughts?

This is what it will look like when I am done with it. I just need some help.

I  like the color of the competition's here but are they authentic, this is a pic of my friends real MVS-4 25"

All of the images with a mint cond. German Spy Hunter pinball game.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30329886@N08/

I still need to work it with the wire brush drill bit. It's tough to get the mirror finish consistently ...

any tips on using the metal brush drill bit?

Below is a before pic with the brush bit.

new progress update

Its in great shape in some places, others not so much.

So now its time to decide to use a sticker on the one damaged SNK logo or use a stencil from ess19 to repaint it.

Here's some pics.

I will be replacing this plastic with some Lexan, but I won't drill holes, I have another idea. Think Dr. Evil...

Scraping the old overlay away.

Lots of goo gone.
You can see some old red and white lines from the original MVS overlay.
It pained me to scrap it.

Taking the crap side art from Special Forces craptastist light gun mega force

Right Side is not so bad, some scratches.

Left Side is not bad until it got to the SNK logo
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:54:12 am by jtslade »
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

Witchboard

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2022, 09:09:24 pm
    • Oklahoma Coin-Operated Collectors
Re: Neo Geo MVS Restoration Project
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:04 am »
No, the joysticks have been replaced.  The original joysticks are similar the the super joysticks, but had chromed shafts and black tops.  I find red supers look pretty good.

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 02:04:56 pm »
This was posted in announcements, but since it is a restoration I wanted to place it here for help and tips.

I am starting my 1st arcade restoration project and it is with a Neo Geo MVS-4 25 cab.

This will be a MAME cab

This probably does belong in the project announcement section.  While you are restoring the cabinet back to it's original look, you aren't doing a true restore of the game.

You'll get more help on the MAME setup in the other section.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 05:18:16 pm »

This will be a MAME cab

This probably does belong in the project announcement section.  While you are restoring the cabinet back to it's original look, you aren't doing a true restore of the game.

You'll get more help on the MAME setup in the other section.

Agreed.  Restorations are for actual arcade hardware in 1st generation cabinets.  By that I mean the game that originally came in the cabinet.

jtslade

• Offline Offline
Re: Neo Geo MVS Restoration Project/ side art and control panel
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 01:08:16 pm »
Its in great shape in some places, others not so much.

So now its time to decide to use a sticker on the one damaged SNK logo or use a stencil from ess19 to repaint it.

Here's some pics.

I will be replacing this plastic with some Lexan, but I won't drill holes, I have another idea. Think Dr. Evil...

Scraping the old overlay away.

Lots of goo gone.
You can see some old red and white lines from the original MVS overlay.
It pained me to scrap it.

Taking the crap side art from Special Forces craptastist light gun mega force

Right Side is not so bad, some scratches.

Left Side is not bad until it got to the SNK logo
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

jtslade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 04:44:57 am »
Control panel and Marquee
Here are some pics of the CP.. A long way to go. I need to get another wire brush.  Maybe I push to hard and wore down to far to mirror finish. Some parts (curves) were easy, but the flat section was more difficult.

Sunday Start

Once I test this out on some poster board to correct any measurement errors.
Then I'll laser cut the plexi panel.

I'll post this is Corel and Adobe Illustrator format for anyone who has the same close button layout as me.

as you may notice the holes for the joysticks are at 40mm instead of the 50mm that the panel actually has cut. I have the Mag Sticks which don't need alot of throw so I will be cutting the joystick hole in the plexi at 40mm.
(noob mistake that I don't have a mounting plate for the Mag Stick Plus's that fits this MVS Neo Geo mounting screws that are connected to the CP)

I will upload  versions one with 50mm holes if anyone requests it.

also to note the picture shows the bottom and right side line that is used to cut the panel is way off. I corrected that in the Corel and AI files.

my panel layout below:

Just bought [update they arrive, thx Quarter Arcade ]these from quarter arcade. I figured that going original was the best option whenever possible.

These are just sample images (who knows what shape mine will be in) but do you all have a preferred method for restoring these to look shiny and new?

Does anyone have experience with the novus 1,2,3 system and maybe some high grit (1000/2000) sanding of these marquee's.

Below is dimensions of front player art on a MVS-4-25 version 1 in imperial inch format:

let me know if more dimensions are needed!

Just waiting on a overlay (need someone to print one for the close button set!!) and the computer to arrive.

progress update pics from November 11th

the NOS marquee's are beautiful, they just need some Novus plastic polish.

Finished primed panel and sanded smooth. Top coat applied.

eccs19

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2021, 10:36:08 am
  • Just plugin away!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 09:24:05 pm »
I have a quick question.  In the picture I've attached, you gave the dimensions for the Left Player arrow.  Is the right player arrow the same size? (width)

Working - Mr. Do! - Neo Geo 4 Slot - Bartop Mame
Project(s) - Pacman

jtslade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:22:02 am »
Yes the right side is the same on my cab. I was going to remeasure this in MM if you need that. On the Neo Geo site I have the missing dimensions that I forgot to include on the picture.

How is the new artwork creation going.

Do you have any info on what to print a recreation for the Control Panel Overlay. I know that some websites use flexible polycarbonate but is there something that may be closer to the original. I am trying to find a place here in the USA to make one.

Thanks dude!

jtslade

• Offline Offline
SO the CP install went perfectly and I am very happy with the result.

This weekend is some hardcore time with soldering wires for the marquee lights and the finishing touches. Need to get the TV bezel finished, but at last the finish line is visable!

I want to give out a huge big thank you to everyone here at BYOAC and over at neogeo.com forums.

what a journey from this (Sept 2008):

To now (MVS Boot in Mame32):

CP Overlay installed (Thank you to Todd @ arcadeoverlay.com)

Other angle:

Time to play some games! The MagStik Plus's from Andy at Ultimarc feel great.
Once I get the wiring clean and organized I'll post some pics of his pre-built harness for the Mini-Pac. It was a true plug and play install for it.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:14:48 am by jtslade »

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
that looks very nice...i'd love to have a neogeo machine, but i just dont have the space for another cabinet......yet:)

Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
thats a sexy machine. I love the neo-geo cabs, but they always were a little cramped for a big guy like me.

jtslade

• Offline Offline
Some Hot Girls who came over when they heard I had an arcade game.

Ladies Playing Sunset Riders

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:40:08 pm by jtslade »

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2023, 01:32:26 pm
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
Sexy Shiny clean and i LOVE the metal work at the cp..... GREAT CAB  :applaud: :applaud:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:39:54 pm by dkssprs »

jtslade

• Offline Offline
More Pics (lit up) Neo Geo MVS Restoration Project
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 06:38:27 am »

jtslade

• Offline Offline
pics of USB hub install
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 06:39:29 am »
I'll post pics of the new USB round hub install tonight...

Finally filled the hole!!

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
Re: !Update! CP overlay and controls wired up! Neo Geo MVS Restoration Project
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 01:59:35 pm »
Still looking for an MVS credit display?

I'm still not quite sure how to make it work... perhaps a simple RS-232 (serial) port, where you simply send the two digits to display? Ex: "09" or "[space]9".

jtslade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 10:52:46 am »
New 4 port USB power hub to cover the hole in my cab (it was converted to a special forces games with lightgun holster) Three ports on the front and one in back.

I just need to figure out how to disable the led light, it is very annoying.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 12:00:47 pm »
Can't you just use some black electrical tape on that LED?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 08:47:19 pm »
Can't you just use some black electrical tape on that LED?

or a dab of black nail polish
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

DCsegaDH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2013, 04:14:10 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 02:41:04 am »
The cabinet is looking good :cheers:

wickedguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2010, 11:56:47 am
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 09:51:21 am »
i cant wait to start building mine from scratch :)

jtslade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 11:27:32 pm »
I have finals right now, so as soon as they are done I can get measurements done.
In the meantime have you scoured the mvs neo geo forums?

ricko77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 02:45:29 pm
Amazing job ! Your cab looks great !

I'm starting working on a MVS-1-25 project and I would really need to get the original cab's dimensions. I searched the internet for days and I couldn't find anything accurate. Do you think you could provide your cab's dimensions to me ? That would be awesome !

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
There's probably a wire going to that LED that can be cut if you want to turn it off instead of covering it.  Cab looks awesome by the way.

MvsMikeGeo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2012, 04:50:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What is those images of dragons lair =o
Also is that metal slug menu a multicArt or something? If so how does it run? Any issues? What else is on it? I may look for one soon, not sure.