Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ControlsDat 1.2.1 BETA Released!  (Read 15264 times)

headkaze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
ControlsDat 1.2.1 BETA Released!
« on: September 07, 2008, 09:20:46 pm »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:29:29 pm by headkaze »

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
Re: ControlsDat 1.0 BETA Released!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 09:48:49 pm »
Once again you make a great contribution to the community. You're awesome headkaze!
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Twin-X

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2018, 05:59:44 pm
  • Yes this avatar was stolen too!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:35:58 pm »
Headkaze for president  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:05:52 pm »
Looks good, headkaze.  A few questions, though (like you said, so many features ;) ):

Both screen shots: the standard delete button on tool bar.  Removes the game from list?  Deletes a info in controls.xml?  Or something else?  (I don't like deleting info.)

Second screen shot, bottom three buttons: verify, verify + next, and unverify?  Or finished, finished + next, and cancel?  (Seems like latter, but looks like former.)

Second shot:  Buttons vs Labels boxes?
Robin
Knowledge is Power

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 06:06:55 pm »
Looks good, headkaze.  A few questions, though (like you said, so many features ;) ):

Both screen shots: the standard delete button on tool bar.  Removes the game from list?  Deletes a info in controls.xml?  Or something else?  (I don't like deleting info.)

The delete button only deletes the ControlsDat entry for the game. I suggest you use the filters if you want to view just the ControlsDat games, or if you want to see the games missing from ControlsDat then I suggest the "Parents" filter that will show all the parents. Most ControlsDat entries are parents. Parents are slightly different to RomOf/CloneOf in that they can be neither, sometimes you have to recurively search back to get the parent. Examples of this are the NeoGeo games, so that is what I call a parent. If you turn on the filter for ControlsDat and Clones you will see there are only about 3 or 4 ControlsDat entries that are clones.

Second screen shot, bottom three buttons: verify, verify + next, and unverify?  Or finished, finished + next, and cancel?  (Seems like latter, but looks like former.)

Sorry if that seems a bit confusing there, the bottom three buttons have nothing to do with verify, they just mean finished, and finished + next and cancel. There is a checkbox that is used for setting them verified or not and I just so happen to be using a "tick" icon for both of these things, but I think verifying games should not be done by anyone. If you add games I suggest you leave them unverified, then export Xml (UnVerified) and send the file to SirPoonga for evaluation. The whole Verified/UnVerified flag will really help to separate the newly added games to the old games. Once SirPoonga is happy with all the new entires he can make them all verified and release a new dat file. There may be cases though where he decides to leave some games as UnVerified like if he can't be sure they are correct.

If you take a look at an entry in ControlsDat some buttons are separated and put under the different controls they are for. Take a look at the following entry. Notice that the buttons are separated off into two parts and then the labels for all the buttons are described in the labels section. So the buttons group in the editor can be used to define which controls are using which buttons. I'm not sure if anyone uses the buttons under each control, I know I don't use them in CPWizard or my LEDWiz plugin for GameEx. I don't really see them being much use in software but it is probably a good way to know which buttons relate to what control.

Code: [Select]
  <Game RomName="aquajack" GameName="Aqua Jack (World)" NumPlayers="1" Alternating="0" Mirrored="0" UsesService="0" Tilt="1" Cocktail="0">
    <Status Verified="1" />
    <MiscDetails>In mame a dial is also emulated.  This dial has no apparent function and isn't used in the game at all.  It could be reminants of a hack or something.</MiscDetails>
    <Player Number="1" NumButtons="4">
      <Controls>
        <Control Name="Pedal (Microswitch)">
          <Constant Name="button" />
          <Button Name="P1_BUTTON4" />
        </Control>
        <Control Name="8-way Triggerstick">
          <Constant Name="joy8way" />
          <Button Name="P1_BUTTON1" />
          <Button Name="P1_BUTTON2" />
          <Button Name="P1_BUTTON3" />
        </Control>
      </Controls>
      <Labels>
        <Label Name="P1_BUTTON1" Value="Machine Gun" Color="Black" />
        <Label Name="P1_BUTTON2" Value="Jump" Color="Black" />
        <Label Name="P1_BUTTON3" Value="Vulcan" Color="Black" />
        <Label Name="P1_BUTTON4" Value="Thrust" Color="Black" />
        <Label Name="P1_JOYSTICK_RIGHT" Value="Right" />
        <Label Name="P1_JOYSTICK_LEFT" Value="Left" />
        <Label Name="P1_JOYSTICK_DOWN" Value="Down" />
        <Label Name="P1_JOYSTICK_UP" Value="Up" />
      </Labels>
    </Player>
  </Game>
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 06:16:45 pm by headkaze »

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • You rebel scum
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 02:00:18 pm »
The delete button only deletes the ControlsDat entry for the game.

That's what I was afraid of.  I guess it's needed; glad to see there's a confirm window.

Sorry if that seems a bit confusing there, the bottom three buttons have nothing to do with verify, they just mean finished, and finished + next and cancel. There is a checkbox that is used for setting them verified or not and I just so happen to be using a "tick" icon for both of these things...

D'oh, missed seeing the verified check box.  It's that the icons are the same as those used on the game list page for verified and not verified was what confused me.  Thanks for clearing that up.

If you take a look at an entry in ControlsDat some buttons are separated and put under the different controls they are for. Take a look at the following entry. Notice that the buttons are separated off into two parts and then the labels for all the buttons are described in the labels section. So the buttons group in the editor can be used to define which controls are using which buttons. I'm not sure if anyone uses the buttons under each control, I know I don't use them in CPWizard or my LEDWiz plugin for GameEx. I don't really see them being much use in software but it is probably a good way to know which buttons relate to what control.

Ah, a list of not normal-on-the-control-panel buttons.  It seems weird for "normal" games with only CP buttons: the Buttons box is blank for these games even though they have buttons.  Hmm... to me, it would make more sense to call that box "special buttons" (or something like that so it's known they're non-normal buttons), and the "name" column to be called "button".  But that's just me.

The following might sound like a complaint list; it's not.  More like a wish list. ;D

Played around with it a little more.  Pretty cool.  I like the copy/paste function, but when I pasted, the info didn't show on the game info window.  But after I clicked the finished button, the info was added, and when I reopened that game, the info was there.  If this is the normal action, that would add a couple steps if I wanted to paste & edit.  Already much easier than otherwise, though.

I like how when I add a control, it's added to the Labels with a default Value.  Could the same be done for the buttons?  Automatically put the total buttons, using the number of buttons from listxml? 

Another cool thing would be to auto-populate the Controls with the controls from listxml.  Even if not auto-populated, I'd think the Constant should be filled first, limited to what listxml has (+ misc + other + ?), and then par down the Name depending on what the Constant is?  IMO, this order works better when starting from mame's data, but might not if starting from the real control panel, and some people might like one way more than the other.  Hmm, maybe stay as is is better for others.  Could both ways be done?

As hinted above, the Controls Name + listxml seems to limit what Constant can be assigned to that Name, which simplifies things a lot.  However, when I selected "Up/Down Shifter", I could only select buttons, and not the V 2-way.  So if this feature is kept, could you add 2-way as a valid up/down shifter?

Not sure how important this is, but I don't see a way to handle if the players have different controls or labels.  I mean adding; ControlsDat seems to handle displaying these games okay (cybots, firetrk).  Control.dat assumes the players are the same; but if they aren't, then each player is listed in the xml separately.  These games aren't that common, and since it displays okay... ehh.

This one is a weird one for me.  Sometimes ControlsDat shows on the alt-tab list, but sometimes not.  Make flipping to and from pic or pdf sometimes easy, sometimes "alt-tab... alt-tab-tab-tab... where is... $@%#&... mouse to winows bar click ControlsDat."  Not sure if it's my computer, ControlsDat, or what.

Again, thanks for the app, headkaze.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 09:50:20 pm »
D'oh, missed seeing the verified check box.  It's that the icons are the same as those used on the game list page for verified and not verified was what confused me.  Thanks for clearing that up.

I've changed the 3 buttons to use labels instead of icons.

Ah, a list of not normal-on-the-control-panel buttons.  It seems weird for "normal" games with only CP buttons: the Buttons box is blank for these games even though they have buttons.  Hmm... to me, it would make more sense to call that box "special buttons" (or something like that so it's known they're non-normal buttons), and the "name" column to be called "button".  But that's just me.

Okay I change to be "Special Buttons" and the name column is called "Button" now.

The following might sound like a complaint list; it's not.  More like a wish list. ;D

No problem ;)

Played around with it a little more.  Pretty cool.  I like the copy/paste function, but when I pasted, the info didn't show on the game info window.  But after I clicked the finished button, the info was added, and when I reopened that game, the info was there.  If this is the normal action, that would add a couple steps if I wanted to paste & edit.  Already much easier than otherwise, though.

Yes I noticed some issues with copy/paste, I hope to have fixed them in 1.1.

I like how when I add a control, it's added to the Labels with a default Value.  Could the same be done for the buttons?  Automatically put the total buttons, using the number of buttons from listxml? 

Added this in 1.1 :) I also set Cocktail and Alternating default values if I find dip switches for these.

Another cool thing would be to auto-populate the Controls with the controls from listxml.  Even if not auto-populated, I'd think the Constant should be filled first, limited to what listxml has (+ misc + other + ?), and then par down the Name depending on what the Constant is?  IMO, this order works better when starting from mame's data, but might not if starting from the real control panel, and some people might like one way more than the other.  Hmm, maybe stay as is is better for others.  Could both ways be done?

Unfortunately I can't do this because Mame only has constants such as "joy8way" but I have no way of knowing what type of joystick it is. This is about the only value I can't really guess IMHO from what is presented in Mame.

As hinted above, the Controls Name + listxml seems to limit what Constant can be assigned to that Name, which simplifies things a lot.  However, when I selected "Up/Down Shifter", I could only select buttons, and not the V 2-way.  So if this feature is kept, could you add 2-way as a valid up/down shifter?

You can easily open up "FEDEV_descriptions_to_controls.txt" and add that in there. I don't want to mess with the lists created by SirPoonga, if there should be a change to that file then we need it to be changed in the official ControlsDat and then I will update my files in the program. But for now if you need it just edit that file.

Not sure how important this is, but I don't see a way to handle if the players have different controls or labels.  I mean adding; ControlsDat seems to handle displaying these games okay (cybots, firetrk).  Control.dat assumes the players are the same; but if they aren't, then each player is listed in the xml separately.  These games aren't that common, and since it displays okay... ehh.

Yes this one thing I didn't bother adding support for yet but I will eventually. Luckily only a handful of games are like this.

This one is a weird one for me.  Sometimes ControlsDat shows on the alt-tab list, but sometimes not.  Make flipping to and from pic or pdf sometimes easy, sometimes "alt-tab... alt-tab-tab-tab... where is... $@%#&... mouse to winows bar click ControlsDat."  Not sure if it's my computer, ControlsDat, or what.

I have no idea why it would do that  ???

Thanks for the feedback and download version 1.1 and post back if you find any more issues  :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:30:18 am by headkaze »

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • You rebel scum
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:54:41 pm »
Thanks for the fixes & changes. :applaud:  Rather that quoting each part and mostly saying "Awesome" a bunch of time, I'll just touch these:

Another cool thing would be to auto-populate the Controls with the controls from listxml.  Even if not auto-populated, I'd think the Constant should be filled first, limited to what listxml has (+ misc + other + ?), and then par down the Name depending on what the Constant is?...

Unfortunately I can't do this because Mame only has constants such as "joy8way" but I have no way of knowing what type of joystick it is. This is about the only value I can't really guess IMHO from what is presented in Mame.

So due to the xml structure, it's not possible to start with the "internal" constant, and then assign the the containing control part.  Shucks, I was hoping.

Would it still be possible to limit the control list to all the possible stuff based on what mame has?  IOW, include the two (or soon three) pedal (analog) controls if and only if mame includes pedal in listxml?

You can easily open up "FEDEV_descriptions_to_controls.txt" and add that in there...

Cool, you're using those files, rather than hardcoded.  Wasn't sure if that was documentation or used data.

Thanks for the feedback and download version 1.1 and post back if you find any more issues  :)

No problem.  Will try 1.1.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: ControlsDat 1.1 BETA Released!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:59:12 pm »
 :notworthy:

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
Re: ControlsDat 1.2 BETA Released!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 11:06:32 pm »
ControlsDat Version 1.2 Released

- Added CatVer display in the main game list
- MameDiff support (not entirely sure if I've covered all the options needed for this)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 11:08:30 pm by headkaze »

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 12:09:05 am »
1.2.1 Released

- Added CatVer info to the Game Info screen

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • You rebel scum
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 07:40:15 pm »
1.2.1 Released

Hey, no fair: no one even commented on 1.2 yet. :hissy:  ;)

- MameDiff support (not entirely sure if I've covered all the options needed for this)

That app is cool to see the ROM changes.  I skimmed the source to see it it could be easily be hacked to look for input changes, but I couldn't do it in the two minute I allowed.  Would be cool if the input changes could be added (sirP might have something doing this for the db). 

Anyways, er, how would I use MameDiff with controls.dat?  (I've never used MameDiff before now. Am I being dense again?)  There are more options that can be used with the merged/split/notmerged options changing what's output, but not sure if they're useful for controls.dat.

- Added CatVer info to the Game Info screen
- Added CatVer display in the main game list

Thanks.  Helpful info shown.

(Another feature request.)  Could the listxml controls be displayed in the main game list?  (It's already displayed in the Game Info.)  Naming might be confusing if just left "controls" though.  Something like "listxml inputs" or "mame inputs" might work.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 07:57:19 pm »
Anyways, er, how would I use MameDiff with controls.dat?  (I've never used MameDiff before now. Am I being dense again?)  There are more options that can be used with the merged/split/notmerged options changing what's output, but not sure if they're useful for controls.dat.

I don't know how SirP uses MameDiff with ControlsDat but to quote him:

When I update the website to a new version of mame I use the output from mamediff, catver, and listxml to do a bunch of things like handling deleted games and renamed games.

(Another feature request.)  Could the listxml controls be displayed in the main game list?  (It's already displayed in the Game Info.)  Naming might be confusing if just left "controls" though.  Something like "listxml inputs" or "mame inputs" might work.

The way it works now, if there is no ControlsDat entry for the game then it will display the one from ListInfo.xml. So if you see a red X next to the game then you know it's displaying the control from ListInfo.xml.

retrometro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
Re: ControlsDat 1.2.1 BETA Released!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 08:23:23 pm »
Much better than notepad!  :-)  thanks for writing it!

-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 12:00:05 am »
I use mamediff's output to determine rom name changes, game name changes, and parent/clone relations.  I make the changes needed to the database to reflect the changes.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 02:38:50 am »
Headkaze, one suggestion and one question:

* I edited the button names of some verified games (vs. excitebike and vs. super mario bros) since the verified button labels are essentially useless. However, the record shows as verified, and I think it should change to unverified if it has been edited. Or else have a 3rd state (verified with changes). These games don't show when I filter everything but unverified, and presumably they won't export if I just export unverified.

* Do you plan to alter CPWizard to handle 2 controls.xml files - the official file plus a file with unverified additions? It would be nice to just drop a small file with additions/changes into CPW and have it pick up that data, rather than having to generate a whole controls.xml file and replace the official one.

Very nice app, btw!
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 01:51:20 am »
In addition to what I said above, I don't think the exported controls.xml is compatible with CPWizard. There is definitely some missing text at the beginning of the xml, and there are case differences as well. Xml is generally case sensitive so I'm guessing that's the problem. If I replace CPWizard's controls.xml, then delete and regenerate MiniInfo.xml, it contains no controls.xml information (it is 5 meg instead of 7 meg).

Any chance of seeing a 1.2.2 with proper xml export and marking of verified but changed games as either changed or unverified so that filtering catches them?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 07:35:59 am »
* I edited the button names of some verified games (vs. excitebike and vs. super mario bros) since the verified button labels are essentially useless. However, the record shows as verified, and I think it should change to unverified if it has been edited. Or else have a 3rd state (verified with changes). These games don't show when I filter everything but unverified, and presumably they won't export if I just export unverified.

There is a tickbox called "Verified" so use that to turn it to unverified.

* Do you plan to alter CPWizard to handle 2 controls.xml files - the official file plus a file with unverified additions? It would be nice to just drop a small file with additions/changes into CPW and have it pick up that data, rather than having to generate a whole controls.xml file and replace the official one.

That's what Unverified files are at the moment. Just make sure all your new entires are marked as unverified and you can export them out. Right now CPW doesn't care if they are verified or unverified, so it will just use all entries.

In addition to what I said above, I don't think the exported controls.xml is compatible with CPWizard. There is definitely some missing text at the beginning of the xml, and there are case differences as well. Xml is generally case sensitive so I'm guessing that's the problem. If I replace CPWizard's controls.xml, then delete and regenerate MiniInfo.xml, it contains no controls.xml information (it is 5 meg instead of 7 meg).

I've changed the way CPW works, so controls.xml data isn't stored in MiniInfo.xml anymore. Only Mame data I need is in there. I forgot why I stored everything in MiniInfo and then I realised it was for the "Dynamic Data Loading" feature which is now broken because of that. I probably won't be changing it back.

Any chance of seeing a 1.2.2 with proper xml export and marking of verified but changed games as either changed or unverified so that filtering catches them?

Just use the verified checkbox for any changes you make. I guess people can use this program to edit and maintain their own dat files but it's not really the purpose of it. Although the file generated by this program should work fine in CPW.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 09:23:27 am »
Thanks hk. I guess regarding CPW supporting 2 files (the official controls.xml plus a filtered unverified controls.xml), there's really no reason to pursue that unless that is the approach taken to releasing unverified information. But I imagine it won't be - I imagine (hope) people will have the option of downloading the official controls.xml or an unofficial controls.xml that has verified + unverified.

Nice to see that my questions were just my own misunderstandings and didn't require any code changes. :)

M_Davis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2008, 06:12:30 pm
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 06:10:30 pm »
I am currently updating MAME on my arcade computer and I am very excited to see this file getting new interest.  The Controls.DAT file has always been a very inportant part of my arcade machine.  Is the intention that I will be able to get a new file off the fe.donkeyfly.com one day?
Thanks Alot.

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 11:06:05 am »
I just grabbed 1.2.1.  Sweet looking app!  Only problem is when I tried to import the controls.xml file included in the app it crashed.  Here's the contents of the error message:
Code: [Select]
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ControlsDat.frmMain.mnuImportControlsXml_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ControlsDat
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/bdc7405/Desktop/ControlsDat/ControlsDat.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

All I did was open the program for the first time, enter a user name, click ok, then File -> Import -> Controls.xml.  I repeated the procedure a second time to see if it was a fluke, but it did the same thing again.  This is my work machine, so I don't have MAME available.  Also, if this is a problem because MAME isn't installed, it should warn me rather than crashing! 

Cool stuff as always HK!!!   ;D

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 04:43:26 am »
You need to set the Mame path to a Mame exe in the options. You don't need to import Controls.xml it's not for that purpose, it's for importing data that has been exported by the program. So yes you need Mame to use this :)

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 11:12:24 am »
Ok, that's cool.  I still think the error should be trapped and a nice error message displayed.  Thanks for the program!