Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 27 inches of crap in a 25 inch bag  (Read 5947 times)

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
27 inches of crap in a 25 inch bag
« on: September 05, 2008, 02:40:03 pm »
I bought an unused (1995 era) WG monitor a few weeks ago. It was advertised as a 25" and I wanted it for my Golden Tee. When I called the seller I was on the way to pick it up, I found out it was actually a 27. Although its working status was unknown, and I really needed a 25 incher,  it was cheap enough that I still took a chance on it.
I didn't have a chance to mess with it until a day or so ago, but on hooking it to my Jamma cab, I found that it has a beautiful picture.

25" Hantarex Polo

27"WG

I sized this up with the Golden Tee, and for as huge a cabinet as it is, I would have had to hack up the sides a bit to make it fit. As it's one of my favorite games, I didn't want to do that. I decided to try to install it in my 25" Jamma Dynamo cab. I made up a new mount and tried putting that bad boy in. I got the mount and front clearance perfect, but it's a super tight squeeze in the back. The cab mounts rub on the degaussing lines around the monitor, and one part of the frame is going to rub.

Kind of hard to see in the pic, but if you look at the top bar of the monitor frame, that is where it and the degaussing line are touching the cab frame. I guess I'm going to trim away a little bit of the cab frame for it to drop down in, though the need to mod the cab has me thinking about sizing it up in the GT one more time.  ???

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Re: 27 inches of crap in a 25 inch bag
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:00:43 pm »
I don't get the title.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 08:15:16 pm »
I don't get the title.

Old saying.  "5 pounds of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- in a 3 pound bag."

Indicating too much stuff, not enough space.

Whats a monitor like that weigh?
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:26:55 pm »
I'd estimate between 60 and 70 pounds. Between making the mount and lifting it into the cab, I must have picked it up five times today. Figure at least two more for pulling it out and trimming up the stringers in the cab.  :P

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:37:54 pm »
I don't get the title.

It was a very high concept poop joke.  ;D

The green strips on the marquee are my score and date log... I'm hoping to achieve mega nerd status with a Twin Galaxies record.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 08:22:52 pm »
OH, it describes my basement.
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 09:56:23 pm »

I had a football coach who used to call me that.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 09:06:56 pm »
Ohhh. The ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- part threw me.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 03:55:25 pm »
I cut back the stringers in the cab today and modified my monitor mount. Ran into a problem I wasn't expecting.

Cab on its back, like a drunken prom date wondering what the hell just happened.

This thing is a brute to lift, and you have to kind of reach over the control panel to set it in there. Made some hand holds in the mount that make it slightly easier.

Here it is, finally sitting there all the way back against the mounts. I thought all I had to do was make a new bezel at this point...

Looks perfect, right? The very center of the monitor is slightly out past the stringers that the bezel sits against. I didn't figure on how much extra the 27" would stick out vs. the 25".  :timebomb:
Any suggestions? I'm thinking of of pushing the monitor back a bit by adding nuts to the back of the mounting bolts. I think if I can get it back 1/4" the bezel will drop on correctly. As it is, I have to bend it (its plexi) to fit in its slot in front of the control panel.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 04:43:18 pm »
That last image is a decent example of 'scanlines' on a 27" monitor. I should link it in the wiki.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Luigi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 11:28:40 am
  • Collecting/restoring cabs
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 03:28:28 am »
Can't you simply put some thin wooden pieces of wood (black painted) to the edges so the bezel?

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 06:04:52 am »
Can't you simply put some thin wooden pieces of wood (black painted) to the edges so the bezel?

That is a good idea. There is a slot at the bottom that both the bezel and the front of the control panel lock into. If I move the bezel forward instead of moving the monitor back, the bezel no longer lines up with that mount. The slot is a separate metal piece that does have slightly oval-ized holes for some adjustment, but I'm not sure if there is enough.

Haven't had a chance to mess with it, maybe I'll take a look today.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 06:07:12 am »
That last image is a decent example of 'scanlines' on a 27" monitor. I should link it in the wiki.

You're welcome to use it. I may have some better pics as I work on it. Its tough to get good images since the game is always in motion except for the title screen.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 10:18:45 am »
The caveat to moving it back is that it may stick out the back instead of the front.  Unless you have that room back there, be careful.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 11:12:58 am »
The caveat to moving it back is that it may stick out the back instead of the front.  Unless you have that room back there, be careful.

Plenty of room in the back, as the monitor chassis is shallow.
I slid the CP/bezel mount at the front of the control panel forward as far as it will go and the bezel is just touching the monitor. It's so close that it all goes together. I'm still thinking about widening the slot at the top just a bit. If I can slide if forward at the top about 1/8", I don't think it will touch. Regardless, it'll work now.

I was surprised how much work this was given the size of the cab. It's a Dynamo, which I figured would have handled the 27" as a drop-in.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 04:18:48 pm »

You're welcome to use it. I may have some better pics as I work on it. Its tough to get good images since the game is always in motion except for the title screen.

Well, I figured since it was openly posted, I could use it, and I did already.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking