Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ram Controls  (Read 5928 times)

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
Ram Controls
« on: September 05, 2008, 02:56:45 am »
Anyone dealt with him recently? I guess we won't ever see that yoke...

:'(

ratzz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ram Controls
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 08:36:35 am »
You know something, I got absolutely slated from people here when I warned people about their ongoing "coating process", and locked out of a topic about them.

No yoke? No problem... I guess.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 08:46:21 am by ratzz »

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:22:09 pm »
B...b...b....but he gave a way a bunch of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- for FREE!   Doesn't that make him a good guy?   :dunno
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 12:31:56 pm »
Yes, actually, it does. Until someone can reliably say they were ripped off, Ram Controls is alright in my book. I'm disappointed he hasn't delivered a yoke, but as far as I know he hasn't ripped anyone off. He's delivered other products and given away a bunch of stuff. Like many folks he's doing this as a hobby, so I'm grateful for what we get. If he ends up not refunding people who request it then it's a whole different story, but I've not heard that that is the case.

--- saint
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

ratzz

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 03:32:44 pm »
I'm sorry Saint, but someone who does things for  a hobby doesn't mean they can deliver what they promised - or that they are a good guy - quite the opposite. A hobbyist is much more unreliable to deliver than someone who does something to feed his kids, in my book.

You seem to have a unfathomable respect for this guy, and I can't see why.

How long to people have to wait for delivery, or in your case "If he ends up not refunding people who request it then it's a whole different story, but I've not heard that that is the case." -- where is the deadline? 1, 2, 3 or 5 years?

People have constructed skyscrapers in the time this guy has had to deliver on his "promises".

I'm sure you will again lock me out of this subject, or deny access to posting on it, but at least I can say "I TOLD YOU SO!"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:35:33 pm by ratzz »

MaximRecoil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 03:45:53 pm »
How long to people have to wait for delivery, or in your case "If he ends up not refunding people who request it then it's a whole different story, but I've not heard that that is the case." -- where is the deadline? 1, 2, 3 or 5 years?
Someone would first have to request a refund before they could be waiting for a refund. As such, there is no deadline until someone requests a refund, at which point the clock starts ticking; and I'd say he'd have a couple of weeks to do the refund before being labeled a bad trader.

So, who has requested a refund from him and not received it?

ratzz

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 03:52:46 pm »

Who has received their yoke? You guys crack me up!

I'm not responding to this thread any more.

BTW, Saint, can you send me a copy of your fantastic book? I promise to deliver payment --- honest!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 04:03:20 pm by ratzz »

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 04:12:13 pm »
ratzz, from what I read in the past, he OFFERED a refund to anyone who didn't want to wait, and at least some people decided they'd rather wait than get a refund. So no, there is no deadline until someone requests the refund or he says that the project is dead.

And I'm sure Saint didn't offer to send you his book and let you pay at some later time, so that is totally unlike this situation. These people paid with the understanding that it was a pre-order, so it was completely willing on their part.

You don't have to like David's methods, his products, his business, or whatever, but that doesn't mean he's a bad guy. A lot of us (myself included) have gotten good stuff for free or for purchase from him, so at this point he seems to only have positive transactions. Of course, if he has disappeared and won't refund people their pre-order money, that's a different story.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 05:25:23 pm »

Who has received their yoke? You guys crack me up!

What does that have to do with anything? If people are dissatisfied with the wait, they can request a refund; and so far, everyone who has requested a refund has gotten one. So what's the problem exactly?

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 06:00:19 pm »
I'm sorry Saint, but someone who does things for  a hobby doesn't mean they can deliver what they promised - or that they are a good guy - quite the opposite. A hobbyist is much more unreliable to deliver than someone who does something to feed his kids, in my book.

You seem to have a unfathomable respect for this guy, and I can't see why.

I'm not even sure what that first sentence was in response to -- I had to check to make sure that tommy wasn't posting because it had very little to do with what saint posted.

Like saint, I have respect for David and what he has done and been trying to do.

You seem to base your entire opinion of him on not delivering one product and are happy to ignore everything that he has done, which is more than most in this hobby, present company included.

I'm sure you will again lock me out of this subject, or deny access to posting on it, but at least I can say "I TOLD YOU SO!"

Wow -- I had to check a second time to make sure that it wasn't tommy posting.

:dizzy:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 06:29:16 pm »

That depends entirely on the people actually involved in the transaction. This guy hasn't hurt a single person, and has helped many. Piling on and trashing him and other folks, as has happened sadly in the past, hurts our hobby. He's not in the same situation as vendors who have ripped people off. It boggles my mind completely that people don't see the difference.

--- saint
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 11:57:02 pm »
look, we're all disapointed that the star wars yoke seems to be on indefinate hold, but he has offered and refunded to everyone who asked for it
what else could he do?

fatfingers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2015, 10:15:43 am
  • Got UltraStiks?™
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 07:56:42 am »

Children -- There has been nothing new said on this subject for about 4 months.  Can we please let it rest?

Thanks.
My DK low scores
-------------------
1) 180700
2) 165000
3) 162900
4) 162600
5) 158500

W.W.P.M.D.?                                       I'm here to help ... I just don't do it. ™

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 09:40:46 am »
look, we're all disapointed that the star wars yoke seems to be on indefinate hold, but he has offered and refunded to everyone who asked for it
what else could he do?

Stop bullshitting the community perhaps?  By his own account everything is done aside from powder coating certain parts.  I call BS.  I've never heard of powder coating taking over a year?!  But since I don't have $$$ involved in this my opinion doesn't mean squat...

...this yoke is the Duke Nukem Forever of the MAME community.

wbassett

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2023, 04:34:49 am
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 02:08:21 pm »
I don't know the guy so I can't comment on any of the past history.

However as FrizzleFried said according to his own site and blog everything is done except the handle powder coating (how on earth could that take so long though?).  I emailed him and asked if I could buy one sans the grips and then I'd just put on a set of either Happ's grips with the thumb buttons or even the handles off a Road Blaster... I would be perfectly happy with that if the rest is as high quality as it sounds.  I never got a response back.

Usually I take a lack of response as a bad sign.  I understand he's probably busy, but it gives off a bad vibe to potential customers when they feel like they've been blown off.  Even a reponse saying no would be better than no response at all.

Maybe he will get these done someday.  Sad thing is by that time I'll probably have a yoke from someplace else by then.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 06:04:31 pm »
look, we're all disappointed that the star wars yoke seems to be on indefinite hold, but he has offered and refunded to everyone who asked for it
what else could he do?

Stop bullshitting the community perhaps?  By his own account everything is done aside from powder coating certain parts.  I call BS.  I've never heard of powder coating taking over a year?!  But since I don't have $$$ involved in this my opinion doesn't mean squat...

...this yoke is the Duke Nukem Forever of the MAME community.

hey we all have thing that come up in life to prevent us from doing what we'd like
This is a hobby for him and he's NOT ripping anyone off in fact for those of us who already have a yoke his tune up it was invaluable, as well as Atari cone buttons and a fantastic major havoc roller among other things
this guy is just try to help out the community
of course more responce would be better but we simply don't know what his situation is, and as long as he's not holding anybody's money I just don't understand the Haters

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 06:13:12 pm »
Bender, I totally agree. But I also agree with fatfingers at this point. No one is convincing anyone here. Everyone has their opinions established. They are apparently not swayed by what we think are very compelling arguments, and we're not being swayed by what they probably think are compelling arguments either.

Let's stop arguing about whether Dave is a good guy or a bad guy, and wait until there is real news on the subject (e.g. whether or not people are able to get refunds, or if RAM comes back to life).
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 08:56:43 pm »
A hobbyist is much more unreliable to deliver than someone who does something to feed his kids, in my book.

This is it exactly. Everyone who put money up for this project knew it was going to a hobbyist. Things happen, if they don't like it, they should ask for their money back. David is the only one who dared to take on such a product and all of the people who gave money know this. It is probably the same reason they haven't asked for their money back. Look at the web site, if he was out to take everyones money he wouldn't be spending it on all of those manufactured parts.

It kills me that people who have probably never tackled a project like this want to mention how long something like powder coating should take. I am  the production manager for an upstart consumer electronics company, not by trade mind you. I am in it because someone noticed that I have an eye for detail. We have gone through several metal suppliers and powder coating shops looking for the right combination of quality, cost, and consistency. This ain't easy to find on the local level, trust me.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 10:43:56 pm »
Well, the clock's tickin. On the posting of this thread, and given I did get a used yoke on ebay, I went and emailed David for a refund. Interestingly, he responded back within a few hours, and asked for address confirmation. I gave it and the next morning he said he'd have it coming out my way Monday. Maybe he's not going paypal due to fees, so should be some time later next week.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 12:21:16 am »
Hmmm - I sent an email a week ago, and no response. Can you PM me the address you used?

HoopstarsGarage

• Scratch Building Demi-God!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2016, 09:24:11 pm
  • Scratch Building Demi-God..
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 09:40:20 am »
I wonder how many people in this thread have put their money down for a yoke or anything else - because at the end of the day, those that do are really the only ones that should be commenting about RAM and their delay..

Hoops

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 09:50:24 am »

I would still buy yoke kits from him were he to offer them.  I have a couple of yokes I'd like to rebuild and was waiting on a little more evidence of reliability before sending him cash.  Then he sent me several (not cheap) NLA ICs for free and wouldn't accept money for beer or shipping.  That was good enough evidence for me.  I don't see a problem with the guy so long as he offers refunds to those who want them and there has been no indication that he hasn't given refunds.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 09:53:10 am »
I wonder how many people in this thread have put their money down for a yoke or anything else - because at the end of the day, those that do are really the only ones that should be commenting about RAM and their delay..

Hoops

While I am not comparing the two companies, I will say that your argument didn't hold up in the slickstik situation.  Everyone chimed in on it regardless of if they bought from them or not.  I don't really have an opinion on the yoke but I don't think people on the sidelines will stay quiet on this one.  History has shown that people like to share their thoughts around here.   ;D

Hoopz

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 12:07:11 pm »
History has shown that people like to share their thoughts around here.   ;D
Damn right!

(I hope the humor in my reply here isn't too "inside"?)
NO MORE!!

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 01:23:38 pm »
Well,  these forums are to be used for discussion.  God forbid someone has an opinion that runs counter to the popular one.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 01:31:10 pm »
Well,  these forums are to be used for discussion.  God forbid someone has an opinion that runs counter to the popular one.

We can't have people coming in and expressing their opinions around here and getting away with it.  :angel:

???

;)
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 02:17:54 pm »
Oh ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---...I've been possessed by Tommy.  I was wondering why I started to tear up when the Giants won yesterday...

...and the sudden love of Pit Bulls.

:laugh2:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 02:18:45 pm »
Oh ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---...I've been possessed by Tommy. 

I ain't afraid of no ghost.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 02:19:16 pm »

I would still buy yoke kits from him were he to offer them.  I have a couple of yokes I'd like to rebuild and was waiting on a little more evidence of reliability before sending him cash.  Then he sent me several (not cheap) NLA ICs for free and wouldn't accept money for beer or shipping.  That was good enough evidence for me.  I don't see a problem with the guy so long as he offers refunds to those who want them and there has been no indication that he hasn't given refunds.
They're still available from that online store that has all this NOS stuff......can't remember the name...

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 03:13:50 pm »
They're still available from that online store that has all this NOS stuff......can't remember the name...
[/quote]

www.arcadeparts.com

Mylstars site...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 03:31:37 pm »

You sure?  arcadeparts.com is registered to Happ Controls, Inc.

Registrant:
Happ Controls, Inc.
   106 Garlisch Dr.
   Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
   US

Domain Name: ARCADEPARTS.COM

Ninten-doh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2017, 10:37:18 am
  • I promise sweetie, this is my last cab purchase
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 03:54:52 pm »
It's not arcadeparts it's www.videogameparts.com

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 04:07:55 pm »

Whoa... $140 for the rebuild kit.  Ouchy.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 04:11:33 pm »
It's not arcadeparts it's www.videogameparts.com

doh...I was still half asleep...

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008, 04:12:48 pm »
Do you have any specific parts you need?  I have a deluxe kit myself but only needed about 1/3 of the parts.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 04:14:14 pm »
Do you have any specific parts you need?  I have a deluxe kit myself but only needed about 1/3 of the parts.

Thanks for the offer... probably won't get to this any time soon.  I'll let you know when I do get to the Star Wars... maybe you'll have a part or to I need after I combine the best of the two yokes I have.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 04:49:30 pm »
I don't think you have completed a single one of your arcade projects since I've been here Chad. You need to get cracking!  ;D

HoopstarsGarage

• Scratch Building Demi-God!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2016, 09:24:11 pm
  • Scratch Building Demi-God..
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2008, 07:53:04 pm »
Well you do know what they say about opinions and assh0les - everyone has one..  :laugh2:

An opinion is one thing, but for some around here that like to kick the dog, what I am suggesting is maybe those people should be thinking about it a little first before they let fly..

I know for one I would NEVER take on a arcade related project because of the basic crap that is thrown from people in this community that are happy to sit on the side lines and comment without taking in all the facts.  If people would maybe keep their opinions to themselves or at the very least, had a modicum of tact in them, then maybe more people would take on projects.  It is also this bullsh!t that probably keeps RAM from releasing their product until it is 110% perfect in fear of the backlash and guaranteed negative comments if the product is any less than up to the standards of those that don't put their money where their mouths are..

I've seen it before within the arcade community many many times where someone comes up with a project that they'll do in their spare time (ie. after work, after family etc) only to fall behind and cope the rath of the community and they think bugger it, I'm outta here..  Who is the looser at the end of the day?  You and me..

Hoops

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2008, 08:31:45 pm »
03/15/08  - Star Wars yoke project finally coming to a close.  Powdercoating issues appear to have been overcome once and for all.  Check out the latest on the project here.

Correction: I was wrong...the power coating issue has been resolved according to his website.  :dunno

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:22 am »
I don't think you have completed a single one of your arcade projects since I've been here Chad. You need to get cracking!  ;D

I completed the Twilight Zone and the Laser Cue.   :)  The Laser Cue does need some remedial corrections, though, to be completely reliable.  Stuff I didn't have the skills to do back then.

I've been working on this Berzerk lately.  I didn't want this one to be a project, but wtf, that's what it turned out to be.   :banghead: