Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My First build...mk cab ( play nice)  (Read 8666 times)

mo1e

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2013, 10:07:02 am
  • Do the happy dance
My First build...mk cab ( play nice)
« on: August 10, 2012, 02:43:01 pm »
Hello all as you may or may not know i have been browsing this forum for some time now. and i have had various ideas for a cab. I was originally going to make a dreamcast weecade based around the game virtua tennis. But instead i am going to be making a dreamcast powered weecade using a mortal kombat theme.

Anyway i set to work on the cab around 3 months ago, As you can see i didnt get much work done. ( i know the lines look wonky but the actual cuts arent.

The project has been on hold Ever since..... Until today

I decided that ive started so i mite aswell finish it right???
Anyway i have absolutely no idea on the best order to do things so i just do a little bit here and there.

Heres what i have managed to do today

My control panel

Obviously i have sanded it down since the pic.

A quick preview with the buttons inserted

Here is a rough idea of what i want to use for the control panel artwork

My speaker panel. I am planning on fastening some speaker grills to the front of this

What are your thoughts on this? and also i know there have been hundreds of mk cabs built and im not trying to be original here. i just want to get my first cab complete.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: My First build...mk cab ( play nice)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:19:24 pm »
How are you handling the controls?  Hacked pads?

Good start so far...  keep going!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 03:23:15 pm »
Looks like you're off too a decent start.  Just a couple comments on the CP, though:

Did you do any testing with the button layout, particularly with 2 players?  Because looking at how the buttons are angled, it looks like P1's elbow is going to be jutting into P2's space.  As well, the P2 joystick looks too close to P1.  Maybe it plays different than it looks?

Also, the proposed CP art looks cool as a standalone pic, but it may not work well for a CP since it's going to be mostly covered up with buttons.  Try to edit it to consider how it might look with buttons covering things up.

I think it might work as either side art or a marquee.

Good luck!

mo1e

• Offline Offline
  • Do the happy dance
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 03:36:59 pm »
Yes haruman i will be hacking some dreamcast pads.

@ shponglefan... Holy flaming samosas i better check with 2 people playing  :o ( this could be a school boy error) and i see what you mean about the cp art. i will probably edit it so you see more of it around the buttons.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 05:10:43 pm »
The control panel on my 2 player Bartop is 20" wide and that doesn't leave much room for elbows in the mix. Looking at yours the Joystick hole for player 2 looks really close to the buttons on P1 side, will the joystick base fit in there without obstruction. If the Line drawn is exactly half way across the wood then you may want to move everything on the left about 1" to the Left. I would advise a cardboard cutout test before cutting another piece. If you don't have the joysticks yet then ask around here for the measurements of the base plate. Other then that good luck on the build. 

mo1e

• Offline Offline
  • Do the happy dance
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 05:13:38 pm »
Obviously there is only room for 2 player on the control panel but i want to allow another 2 joypads to be connected to the cab. i have been trying to think of a way to do this. and i came up with this rather bizarre idea, What do you guys think?

cutting the bottom from a button and using a dreamcast extension cable

The dreamcast controller fits in perfectly and it looks very clean from the outside

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »
Now that I approve of, It's like you made your own Neutrik connector for Dreamcast :) 

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 06:14:51 pm »
Nice

GIZMOGAMES

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 10:33:46 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 07:24:53 pm »
I think yr onto something really quick and simple
hmm i got a load of spare buttons and such must try a usb version heck this could be a really sweet solution to the usb eye candy :D
awsome job :)

mo1e

• Offline Offline
  • Do the happy dance
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 10:00:07 am »
Damn. i spent some more time on my control panel today and i fear ive rushed into it... i mite have to start again... Either that or peel off the artwork, sand down and re apply some more.... Ive tried to do too much too soon.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:04:46 am by mo1e »

GIZMOGAMES

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 10:33:46 pm
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 08:46:32 am »
ok i see yr point there maybe a little rushed but think of it as a test pannel :)
i dig the artwork but i have to ask where did you get it done ???
you could get the dimension you need so youde get the full pic like yr pic above rather than the 3/4 image you seem to have :)
if you also goto somewhere like photo express they could print you the image on a a2 size meaning no middle line join in the artwork as that looks like it could be 2x a4 ??
if you need some help resizing the image also to accomodate yr cp then im sure a few of us could help you achieve that also if you arnt too photoshop knowledgeable :)
apart from that yes treat this lesson as one learnt always make sure you are at the final parts on the build before adding artwork as without the plexitop theres always a chance you could scratch your artwork
and always ALWAYS make sure the edges are square and true and all surfaces are sanded smooth :)
and believe me theres NO RUSH :D
just ask ond ;) hes the master of the no rush project and believe me it shows :)
my opinion strip it back to the bare wood give it a good sanding prime it also with primer that helps and a slight sand after to smooth and look into getting a full size image instead of the 2 parts :)

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 03:52:54 pm »
your sticks look a little short!  ya may want to try notching a bit of the bottom of the CP to get it closer to the surface.  heres how I did mine:

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 08:46:57 am »
I really like the idea you had with the dreamcast extensions mounted in a button shroud.  Why not re-do the panel, make it one-player, and then do three of those plug-ins?  Gathering feedback from other users on the forums, it's rather rare that four players are all together at one time in front of an upright full-size, nevermind a bartop... maybe just do one connector?

Food for thought... otherwise looks good!