Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Problem when launching "Hamster Ball" with .bat but launches fine from windows  (Read 9313 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
I just recently added some PC Games to my mix .. and for daphne, as well as the PC Games i'm using ".bat" files to launch them. I'm having a problem specifically with the game "hamster ball". If launching the game in windows it loads up, and runs fine, but if i try to load the file with this:
"C:\Game\PC Games\Hamster Ball\hamster.exe"
-fullscreen -nohwaccel

That's the .bat i created i get a texture error with the game?

here is my tigerwoods .bat file (which no problems):

"C:\Program Files\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\bin\TW2008.exe"
-fullscreen -nohwaccel

hamster ball has a texture error ?? but works perfectly if i click on the .exe on my desktop

I'm utilizing a similar .bat for daphne and no problems with that, can any one get hamster ball bat working for me ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

SGT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
The parameters that you are using:
Code: [Select]
-fullscreen -nohwaccel... are parameters that Daphne uses.

My guess is that TW2008 does care that you are submitting parameters it doesn't understand while hamster.exe does care.  For Hamster Ball use only:

"C:\Game\PC Games\Hamster Ball\hamster.exe"

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
ok very odd, if i have that text / code and make a .bat, and launch that .bat from windows ONLY if it's in a particular folder which shouldnt matter, then it works, however ive directed MaLa to launch the same file , and still the same issue.. i was even considering moving all my .bat files to the hamster folder i don't care because you don't see them it's only a directory for MaLa to use to send out parameters but i'm still having the same issue.. the .bat works in windows and not in MaLa ?!?!?! but tiger works just fine even after moving it to the hamster folder ..so what gives??

so if i put the bat file on my desktop lets say with the same code i get this error again:

texture load failed shadow.png  !?

but if i put the bat in the hamster folder and double click it no errors.. so how do i not get an error in MaLa when launching it?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:21:01 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

SGT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
Re: Problem when launching "Hamster Ball" with .bat but launches fine from wind
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:14:02 am »
Well if it works only if the bat file is in the hamster folder then you need to add a couple of lines to the bat file just before the line that runs hamster.exe.

C:
CD "\Game\PC Games\Hamster Ball"
hamster.exe

Those extra parameters that you are sending aren't necessary, but are apparently not causing the problem.  By using the CD command in the batch file, you are changing to the hamster ball folder before running hamster.exe.  The C: probably isn't necessary, but is a "just in case" if you have multiple drives.  Some people think you can do a:
CD "C:"\Game\PC Games\Hamster Ball"But this will error if your current drive is a drive other than Drive C.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:18:05 am by SGT »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Re: Problem when launching "Hamster Ball" with .bat *solved* thanks SGT
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 12:43:21 am »
YES!~ It worked thanks SGT your the man! something so simple and it made it work
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

loadman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: Problem when launching "Hamster Ball" with .bat but launches fine from wind
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 02:42:23 am »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Re: Problem when runnin "Hamster Ball" with .bat but launches fine from windows
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 06:51:30 pm »
uh still an in game issue MaLa related ? When launching the game in windows with the bat, it works, the game also launches with the same bat in MaLa... when launching the .bat in windows the game play is fine..

Problem: when launching the game with the .bat file with MaLa with SGT's above code during in game play the hamster seems to run / my trackball rolls down automatically.. only when launching the game from MaLa. Even if i manually click on the same .bat in windows no problem.. Why does MaLa make my trackball / hamster run / roll for no reason??
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke