Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NPs Paperboy Restoration  (Read 19406 times)

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
NPs Paperboy Restoration
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:07:37 pm »
I found a Paperboy on my local Craigslist. At first I tried to ignore it - I mean I don't need any more projects at the moment... I already have 1 unfinished MAME cabinet, 2 non-working pinballs, and 1 non-working pachinko machine all trying to get my attention. But after a couple of days the ad started calling to me from the back of my mind. I decided for $75 I needed to take a look. A relatively short drive and $65 later, I have yet another project to add to my unfinished board.

The machine is in need of restoration, but it is one of those situations where the guy said that it worked fine except some of the sprites (like the race car) were invisible. Then after someone came out to take a look at it, it never worked again. I don't really buy it, cause after I tool a look at the hack job on the power suply, I think someone attempted to do more than just fix it.

Here is the cabinet:

It is in decent shape, but needs some internal reinforcing. The sides will need some bondo, new paint and artwork. Here is the CP:

It is a little loose, but not from loose bolts. I think the metal frame that holds the pots is broken. Maybe I can have someone weld it back together.

More in a bit...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:14:47 pm by Neverending Project »

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
More initial info
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:13:01 pm »
So someone did a hack job to try to bypass the original power supply. There is no switching power supply as I might think, but instead a duct-tape job splicing two wires (the white and pink) to a female AC power cord!

My guess is they used a computer power supply somehow, but it is now missing. There is no way this thing was recently working. But I have a question. Where is a good place to find a manual showing voltages and such? Also, does anyone know what voltages should be supplied here (on the top connector?

Also, notice connectors J16 and J103 are missing - is this normal?

I have a switching power supply that I may be able to use, depending on what voltages this thing needs.

Frizzle - I will be looking to you for advice. Please pave the way so my job might be easier!

Also, see attached for a dude that came along for the ride.

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
Re: YAPR (Yet Another Paperboy Restoration)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:07:17 am »
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:59:36 am »
Here's a manual: http://www.crazykong.com/manuals/Paperboy.man.pdf  :cheers:

Great, thank you! Browsing through the manual I noticed first off that the 5V supply is missing (that explains what was on the wood mounting strips in the above picture). So best I can tell, either the brown or red wires (or both) 5V.

I see that someone is offering a Paperboy schematic package on eBay - does anyone know of an online source for these also?

Right now it seems the easiest fix will be to add a switching power supply (easier than rebuilding the power supplies and voltage regulator).

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 11:08:13 am »
I see that someone is offering a Paperboy schematic package on eBay - does anyone know of an online source for these also?

Found it online here. Now to try to track some of this info down...

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 09:24:25 am »

Nice pickup... I love Paperboy.  One of the few rasters I would consider owning.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
Step 1: The Power Supply
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 12:36:35 am »
First I need to find out what shape the power supply is in. By the looks of it (and the looks of the interior of the cabinet) something fuzzy has been making its home here.

So after a bit of clean-up, this is what I am left with:

I would love to tell you the good news that all the voltages look good. The problem is that all the fuses are slow-blow, of which I have none. My local auto-parts store doesn't seem to carry the slow-blow fuses, so it's off the the land of shipping charges that I go. I did manage to find one fuse in the cabinet that is rated correctly, and still good.

Ah well, slow start I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 01:19:24 am by Neverending Project »

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 02:02:25 am »
So I am sitting there watching Purple Rain (because it was on, that's why), and it dawned on me that I had some 4A slow-blow that I ordered for my pins. I had enough, so I stuck a 10A slow in place of the 7A just so I could test the voltages.
 :blowup:

No, nothing blew up. I just always wanted to use that smiley.

But the output that was supposed to have 10.3VDC was reading almost 15VDC. Now, do you think this is because:
a) Big Blue needs to be replaced
b) the rectifier needs to be replaced
c) there is no load on the power supply
d) all of the above
e) none of the above
f) some of the above

Time's up, please put down your pencils.

Oh wait, I still need some advice... pick up those pencils again please. Hey, you, ChadTower... stop looking at Q*Bert's answers!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 09:17:44 am »

Big Blue always needs replacing if you can't vouch for it.  If it's dead it will not be smoothing out the current flow and that pounds on everything down the line.  Especially on an Atari cab, don't even think about it, replace Big Blue.

Did you check the BRs?  They could be dead too.  Use the diode check on your DMM.  If you don't know how to test a BR yet now is the time to learn as you'll need that a lot for your pins too.  Marvin3M has a great section on that someplace.  Where are the BRs?  I don't see any in that picture.

Take an AC reading on the 10.3v line.  There shouldn't be any but if there is you know you've got AC ripple which points right at both the Big Blue and

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:24:27 am »
I just noticed that there are two giant 27000mfd capacitors - the one here on the PS, and a second one right after the PS (both can be seen in the second pic in reply#1 above). It is the same lines that run through the first cap. Which one is technically big blue? I guess they should both be replaced?

There is only one BR on the PS, and it is mounted underneath. I will check that as well. Thanks.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 10:32:24 am »

Yeah, swap them both.  Pretty much all caps with any real size to them.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
Troubleshooting 101
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 12:45:11 am »
We have a game! Well, almost...

I hooked up an old switching power supply that I had to supply the +5V for the CPU, and the +12V for the fan. I hooked everything else up, and the game seems to play fine. The problem is the video is completely jumbled, and I'm not sure where to begin my troubleshooting.

I have checked the voltages with the game running, and the 5V test points are at 5V and 5.5V, and the 10.3 test point is at 11.5V. I ran the self-tests and from what I can tell there are no RAM/ROM errors, since it proceeds right to the 6502 tests, and then to the tones. If there are RAM/ROM errors it will display an error page with the location of the bad ROM. Even though I can't read the screen, I can tell it progresses through all the tests.

Here is a video with the game playing. What do you think I should check first?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2lmuhJMoJA[/youtube]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:54:58 pm by Neverending Project »

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
Re: NPs Paperboy Restoration - Troubleshooting 101
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 01:13:58 am »
Nice! I wish I was as close with my Defender. Waiting on parts. Good luck figuring out that problem (I wouldn't know), but it must be exciting to get it to that point!
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
Re: NPs Paperboy Restoration - Help Needed (video added)
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 07:56:31 pm »
OK, I think I got the video uploaded correctly this time, and it should appear in the above post soon. So does anyone have any suggestions to what I should check first?

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
Is it really a voltage problem?
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 11:24:04 am »
I have re-seated all the socketed ICs on both the CPU and the Video PCBs. I thought I found a chip that was incorrectly inserted, but my problem still remains. The 5V voltages look good on all the 5V test points I can find, and at pin 1 of a couple of random ICs that I tested. The only voltage I that doesn't seem right is the test point on the Audio/Regulator board - it should be 10.3V and is reading 11.5V.

So I plan on replacing the Big Blue cap(s) and rebuilding the Audio/Regulator board. But my question is, does this really seem like a voltage problem?

Running through the in-game test screens again, I ran into what must be a clue. On the attached picture, the picture should show the numbers 0-9, and then letters A-Z in yellow. Then they are repeated again in blue. According to the manual:
The Alphanumeric Test screen displays the condition of the alphanumeric ROM, alphanumeric color palettes, and associated circuitry. The displayed alphanumeric characters should be repeated twice with the first set yellow and the second set blue with red specks. If first set of characters is yellow and the second set is not blue, then there may be a problem with the color palette select circuits.

If you look closely, you will see the numbers 0-9, and then the character A, but then the rest is jumbled. It seems as this should tell me there is either something wrong with a RAM chip, or possiblly the ROM in the game? But then again, I have no idea what I am doing... so I ask you - could this be a voltage problem, or should I consider replacing the RAM chips?

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
Re: NPs Paperboy Restoration - RAM or voltage problem?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 12:18:02 pm »
I know zilch about PaperBoy... but those images seem typical of RAM / RAM addressing defects... probably not voltage at this point.
Happy Gaming!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 01:17:12 pm »
I know zilch about PaperBoy... but those images seem typical of RAM / RAM addressing defects... probably not voltage at this point.

I'd make sure the RAM is getting proper voltages first... slight undervoltages can cause inconsistent RAM behaviour, I think.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 03:16:09 pm »
I'd make sure the RAM is getting proper voltages first... slight undervoltages can cause inconsistent RAM behaviour, I think.

Without a scope, what is the best way to check these? If I am understanding the schematic correctly, the RAM chips (6116) do not have a +5V line - they read/write when the signal lines are high (or low, depending on the signal). So without a scope, I could only check that there is activity on the line - not what the voltage is, am I correct?

I could check the +5V at the processor chip, anywhere else (besides the test points)? Also, what would be considered slight?

Attached is a pic of one of the 6116 circuits to explain what I am talking about.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 03:21:49 pm »

Hrm.  That's probably wading past the water levels for what I know how to troubleshoot.  Wish I could help a bit more but at least know I'll be reading your exploits so I can learn from them.   ;D

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 03:32:18 pm »
Not all pins are accounted for in that schematic. There has to be a supply pin. Either check the complete board schematic or pull up a datasheet on the chip from the internet.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 03:33:47 pm »

Without a scope, what is the best way to check these? If I am understanding the schematic correctly, the RAM chips (6116) do not have a +5V line - they read/write when the signal lines are high (or low, depending on the signal). So without a scope, I could only check that there is activity on the line - not what the voltage is, am I correct?

I could check the +5V at the processor chip, anywhere else (besides the test points)? Also, what would be considered slight?

Attached is a pic of one of the 6116 circuits to explain what I am talking about.

6116 have a GND and VCC.  Pin 24 is VCC and Pin 12 GND.  Sometimes when you draw schematics, you don't actually draw the power connections, it's just assumed.

What would really be helpful for you is to find someone else with a System 2 setup to test your boards?  Just to make sure the board is at fault.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 04:17:50 pm »
Not all pins are accounted for in that schematic. There has to be a supply pin. Either check the complete board schematic or pull up a datasheet on the chip from the internet.
Good to know. Since some of the ICs in the schematics listed +5V, I assumed they all would. The funny thing is I tried to google the schematic for the chip, only to return page after page of crappy sites selling datasheets. But when I just checked again using the term "6116 datasheet" instead of "6116 pinout" or "6116 schematic" it was the first link.

6116 have a GND and VCC.  Pin 24 is VCC and Pin 12 GND.  Sometimes when you draw schematics, you don't actually draw the power connections, it's just assumed.

What would really be helpful for you is to find someone else with a System 2 setup to test your boards?  Just to make sure the board is at fault.
Excellent, thanks for the info. I will check these voltages. And I will keep my eye out for a System 2 around me - it would be helpful indeed.

channelmaniac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2019, 12:36:18 am
    • Arcadecomponents.com
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 02:01:02 am »
http://www.datasheetarchive.com is your best friend for datasheets. ;)
Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Visit my website: http://www.arcadecomponents.com

My repair logs are kept at: http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?board=19.0

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 10:53:28 am »
All the 6116s have 4.98V between pins 12 and 24. I guess next up will be to check the voltage at each ROM chip. I suppose one could still be bad, though.

Is it even possible to replace only one ROM chip, assuming I could find a replacement or figure out how to burn a new one? Hmm, come to think of it, how would I find out what would need to be burned on each chip?

The only replacement Paperboy boards I have seen are in the neighborhood of $200, and it is not a neighborhood I was hoping to take this cab to.

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 11:05:23 am »
All the 6116s have 4.98V between pins 12 and 24. I guess next up will be to check the voltage at each ROM chip. I suppose one could still be bad, though.

Is it even possible to replace only one ROM chip, assuming I could find a replacement or figure out how to burn a new one? Hmm, come to think of it, how would I find out what would need to be burned on each chip?

The only replacement Paperboy boards I have seen are in the neighborhood of $200, and it is not a neighborhood I was hoping to take this cab to.

If your RAM chips are socketed...pop them out and move them around... see if the defect changes.
 :cheers:
Happy Gaming!

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 11:08:38 am »

Never mind about this one. After thinking about this for a minute (and having a cup of coffee) I realized that I have all the chip/rom information on maws.

channelmaniac

• Offline Offline
    • Arcadecomponents.com
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 01:04:36 am »
Keep in mind that the MAME dumps aren't always the version of code you have.

Use your EPROM programmer to read the ROMs/EPROMs and use ROMIDENT to see if they are good and what version they are. If they show up as unknown then run the checksum ROMIDENT gives you through Google to see if you get a match somewhere else.

If all show good and known to ROMIDENT except for 1 or 2 then you know you have 1 or 2 bad ROMs.

That's something I always check when repairing game boards.
Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 01:32:00 am »
Doesn't the test screen indicate any ROM/RAM errors.

What brand RAM's are they ? And yes you can always replace individual chips.

channelmaniac

• Offline Offline
    • Arcadecomponents.com
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »
Doesn't the test screen indicate any ROM/RAM errors.

What brand RAM's are they ? And yes you can always replace individual chips.

Not always. Test screens indicate RAM / ROM errors but you have to be careful in that most games won't test every single ROM. Some do, many do not. The ones that are usually left out are the video graphic ROMs.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 03:37:34 pm »
No luck on finding anything by changing the RAMs around. The test screen does not report any RAM errors, but I went ahead and "rotated" a, existing 6116 chip through each of the other 6116 sockets. The problem is always the same. So I am fairly confident that there is nothing wrong with the RAM chips at this point.

My gut feeling is that there is some sort of address bus issue. My second thought is a ROM issue. I can't imagine that one of the ROMs would have gone bad and the game would still play - but I haven't ruled it out.

I haven't yet figured out a way to test the address bus, but my theory is that if there is a problem with one channel, all the data being carried over the bus would be scrambled. To test the ROMs I suppose I can get an EPROM programmer. But then again, the test screen should test the ROMs too.

I wish I had another Paperboy board to test. At least I could absolutely narrow down the problem to the video or CPU board. I'm always on the lookout, though.

As a last resort, Frizzle - if you're reading this, would you test the board out for me in your cabinet if I shipped it to you?

channelmaniac

• Offline Offline
    • Arcadecomponents.com
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 01:09:22 am »
Why don't you get a logic probe and start learning how to use it?

Get one with audio, like eBay item 110292577891

That's the same thing as the Knight 610B that I've used in repairing a LOT of video game boards. It's my #2 test tool behind my continuity tester.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 10:44:30 am »
Looks like a good deal. Could you give me some tips on where to start looking? My first thought is to check the bus between the CPU and video PCBs. From there, I might see if I can make the tune from Raiders of the Lost Ark by sticking the probe around random parts of the cabinet...  :dizzy:

Thanks for all the help everyony, by the way. I really appreciate it.  :cheers:

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 01:07:50 am »
Just a quick update here... I bought FrizzleFried's non-working board set off of him, with hopes to make a working set between his and my boards. It was actually easier than I could imagine. When I tried his video board with my CPU board, the game works perfectly! If I get some time, I may go and check the ROM chips on my non-working board, to see what is wrong with it... but for now, I can move on with the restoration.

Things left to do:
Adjust the convergence (the blue appears to be out)
Find someone to weld the broken handlebar assembly
Replace grips and handlebar overlay
Replace CPO (this will involve finishing my trace and scan, to have a repro CPO made)
Bondo some holes in the cabinet
New sideart
Other stuff I'll find along the way

It may be a while before I get a chance to work on it again, but as soon as I fix the handlebars at least I have a working game!

Thanks Frizzle!
 :cheers:

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
Re: NPs Paperboy Restoration - Video Board Replaced
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 01:13:45 am »
I mentioned in a PM recently that I could probably do that for you. You never responded to that so I was wondering what ever came of that. It would be nice to see a better pic, and then it's just a matter of meeting up sometime.

Glad you have a working game though! My defender boards are working as of today too! Now I just need to get them back from RetroACTIVE and I'll be able to play. :)

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 02:45:36 am »
I mentioned in a PM recently that I could probably do that for you. You never responded to that so I was wondering what ever came of that. It would be nice to see a better pic, and then it's just a matter of meeting up sometime.

OK, here are some closer pictures of the broken bracket:

And here is the other side, for comparison:

What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:02:12 am by Neverending Project »

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 08:18:38 am »
I'm sure TheShanMan can take care of it for you.

If not, I'd clean it up and JB Weld it.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 08:52:51 am »
I'm not that great at filling in gaps. I'd probably need to lay a little strip of metal over the top of the gap to get a decent weld. But actually JB Weld might not be a bad idea - I can't tell for sure, but I'm guessing that force applied to the handlebars (e.g. hanging on them) wouldn't particularly affect that spot.

I'd be glad to have a go at it if you want though.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 03:25:39 pm »
I had never heard of JB Weld. It looks like this may be exactly what it needs. At first, I though the bracket was a separate piece from the flat plate (where the spacer is), but upon closer inspection, it looks like they were welded at one point, and not supposed to separate like I thought. This means that i can simply attach the bracket to the flat plate where the crack was, and not have to work about disassembly first.

Anyway, I am trying some JB Weld today. I will let you know soon (tomorrow, most likely) if it holds. Thanks for the tip!

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 10:06:58 pm »
The JB Weld didn't hold. I tried cleaning the surfaces with a wire brush on a dremel, but I imagine that I will need to grind the plate down for a really good surface. Considering I don't have a grinder (nor can I weld), I guess it's back to plan B. Or was that plan A...

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 11:05:09 pm »
Sorry to hear that. Well, we'll have to try to figure out a time to meet up, either after I get out of church in Tigard, or meet up at Ground Kontrol sometime. ;D