Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NPs Paperboy Restoration  (Read 19397 times)

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
Re: NPs Paperboy Restoration - Video Board Replaced
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 05:52:11 pm »
Handlebars welded! I'm no professional welder, so the weld doesn't look particularly beautiful, but the only thing that really matters is that it's now a solid unit.

Note: in picture 2 I didn't want to do anything to that spring hooking mechanism, so as you can see I didn't weld near it. That shouldn't have any effect on durability though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:53:54 pm by TheShanMan »
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 09:05:55 pm »
You Rock!  :cheers:

There is 3.5" across (front-to-back) in the hole that the handlebars sit in. I am pretty sure it will fit fine. I can't wait to get these back in the cabinet!

PM Sent.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2008, 06:22:30 pm »
In the first photo, is the plate bent or is that just how the picture is taken?

Side note, it looks like rust spots in the earlier photos, don't forget to paint or coat it to protect it from future rust.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2008, 07:09:25 pm »
It has a slight bend in it - you can also see it in the first page of this thread.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 03:23:47 pm »
Hey, NP. Any progress with this project? Playing 100%? How's it looking? We want pics! ;D

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 04:31:10 pm »
Well, have made some minor progress lately. Nothing to write home about, though.

I ordered some white vinyl and found the Atari System 2 sideart, so I ordered that as well. The vinyl came from thisoldgame, which happens to be right here in Oregon City! So I was able to stop by and pick that up. I haven't installed it yet though, cause I will need to do some bondo work first. I haven't heard back from the sideart yet, so I need to follow up on that.

And while I was at it, I decided to have a go at cleaning the CP again. It was so dirty that you couldn't tell the difference between the white, and the white with the "half-tone" to make it look shaded. And the colors were so filthy that you really couldn't tell what the original colors were. But the first time I tried to clean in I used some serious elbow grease, including tools like toothbrushes, scrubbers and scour pads. And I tried non-toxic cleaners like 409 and goo-gone. But in the end none of it made any difference, so I figured I would have to replace the overlay (That's when I started my tracing project).

But I had another go last weekend with a Magic Eraser, and talk about magic! It actually cleaned it so well that I am thinking about not replacing it at all! Or at least moving the priority of CPO replacement way down. It looks like someone did some black spray painting at one point, cause there are black speckles on it that won't come off. But all-in-all, I am going to file this one in the good-enough-for-now category. I have pics, but haven't dumped my camera yet.

I also checked out the controller again, and am going to replace the pots. The gameplay seemed funky to me, and taking a dmm to the pots showed me they are shot. So I will order a couple from mouser and replace those as well.

And that reminds me - anyone reading this who has a Paperboy controller, do you have much (or any) in/out motion in your controller. I am not talking about pushing forward to back to go fast/slow, but if you were to pull up on the handlebars, do they move at all? I might be missing a washer on the shaft, and I seem to have about 1/8" travel or "play."

Anyway, I will try to get CP before and after pics posted soon.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2009, 05:27:40 pm »
Look forward to the pics. I heard about Magic Eraser recently too, on KLOV I think. I want to pick some up and see just how good it is. Did you get some locally? If so, where?

As for the pots, did you try using some contact cleaner on them? Maybe you can get 'em working without having to replace them?

I knew ThisOldGame was here locally, but I've never been there. So I take it you got to meet Richard? I've had some online discussions with him but that's it so far.

Anyway, you may say it's nothing to write home about, but getting it all cleaned up is a big thing in my book. Congrats on the progress!

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 01:27:44 am »
As promised, evidence of the magic of the Magic Eraser:

Oh, and you can find the Magic Erasers anywhere they sell cleaning stuff. I got mine at Home Depot even.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 11:42:44 am »
Very nice! I'll be picking some up next time I make it to HD.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2009, 01:14:11 pm »
Another small update. I got some replacement 5K pots from Mouser and replaced the two pots in the handlebars. I had to file my own flat spot on the shaft, so it wasn't exactly in the center - or more accurately, if you turned the pot to 2.5K, my flat spot was about 10-15 degrees off from the pots I replaced. Normally this wouldn't be a problem because it doesn't really matter at what angle I attach the small spur gear. But on one of the pots, it turned out to be a bad coincidence. The set screw would hit the mounting bracket in one direction, preventing full movement. Fortunately I was able to just turn the pot and spur gear and reinstall. Then I could run the calibration in the test menu and all was good.

I am happy to report that the game plays great now. Still left to be done:
  • remove old sideart
  • repair/bondo sides
  • install new white vinyl (have it), then new Atari sideart (on order)
  • replace handlebar grips
  • *make new cardboard bezel
  • *cap kit for monitor
  • *replace CPO and handlebar overlay
  • *clean up and repait coin door
*Optional, and quite frankly may not be done for a long time...

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
Re: NPs Paperboy Restoration
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2009, 02:55:20 am »
I finally have an update to report on this restoration. I have had the white vinyl and the System 2 sideart for a while now, but I have just been waiting for the weather, my time, and my motivation to align so I could get some work done. Well recently everything was in order, so I pulled the Paperboy into the garage to get some bondo work done. I filled the gaping holes on the edges of the cabinet using the existing t-molding as my mold. Once the bondo set, I pulled off the old t-molding and sanded. After a second round of bond and some spackle for the pock marks, this is what it looked like:
Before:

After:

Then I brought it back in to the playroom gameroom and applied the white vinyl, followed by the art and t-molding. The white vinyl went on great without any problems. Unfortunately, I had all sorts of bubbles with the side art. I took my time, removed the backing slowly, and smoothed as I went only uncovering an inch or two at a time. But still it was riddled with bubbles. Here is in progress installing the art:

And here it is with one side done.

Note the close-up of all the bubbles. I popped a bunch, but before I do the other side, can I apply this side art with some liquid so I can squeege out the bubbles? It is really unfortunate to botch such a potentially great resto job with bubbly side-art.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 02:58:31 am by Neverending Project »

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2009, 01:28:49 pm »
Looks nice (other than the bubbles)! You certainly picked a good time to work on it weather wise - can't believe how nice it's been here the last few days! :applaud:

I'm going to be doing the wet method for my tron inner art in the next few days. You might benefit from reading this thread at KLOV.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2009, 01:31:15 pm »
Click search above... I'm not sure what terms, but applying side art with water and light soap is discussed a few times.
NO MORE!!

Jason Moorhees

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 11:59:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2020, 10:38:32 am »
Wow. You absolutely stole that Paperboy. I just say a cabinet sell on eBay yesterday for $1500 and it was in terrible shape all around. I’m in the process of converting my championship sprint to a paperboy. I’m missing the front wood panel that covers the gas pedal area. Could you send me the dimensions of that panel? I noticed you made a new one.