Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Golden Tee 2005 help please!!!  (Read 2402 times)

CodySharp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2020, 11:36:38 pm
  • Newb who grew up during the arcade era.
Golden Tee 2005 help please!!!
« on: June 21, 2020, 04:39:16 pm »
Ok, try #2.  I tried to post this once, but, something didn't like the pictures that I tried to attach (screen shots of my cabinet screen), so, here we go again...   :banghead:

I was given a Golden Tee 2005 cabinet.  The previous owner had a silver power supply and a green board.  Someone told him he had a bad power supply, hard drive, and main board. 
He swapped it to a red board, with a 2.09 boot rom, and an ATX style power supply. 
The problem is, it turns on, boots to a screen with info about finding the drive, finding the modem, etc, then moves to a second screen, displaying some basic information, and looks like it's trying to load into the game, and then it hard reboots.  Same process, over and over.
I checked connections on all of the IC chips on the board, no change.  I took the drive out, checked it for errors. It had a couple.  So, I low-level formatted the drive (wrote all 0's to it using the Western Digital hard drive utility (it's an 80GB Western Digital hard drive, IDE type)), found the 5.01.02 chd online, and wrote that using CHDMAN to the drive.  Tried again.  No change.  I swapped in a known good ATX style power supply, and still no change. 
The original drive in the cabinet has a locked up spindle motor or something wrong with it, so it's out of the question.  I have looked into purchasing the option for a pre-loaded IDE to Compact Flash drive, which I don't mind doing, if it will help the problem.
I think I included everything I had typed out in my first try, so if I'm missing something, please ask, I'll get whatever information I can to get help on this!
Thank you for looking, and thanks in advance for any assistance!
Cody
Thanks to all for helping!  It's what keeps communities like this alive and growing!

CodySharp

• Offline Offline
Re: Golden Tee 2005 help please!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 04:41:30 pm »
I cannot attach screen shots, as I keep getting an error about my photo not being allowed?
Also, I cannot search for anything, as I get an error about not being able to contact the search daemon...
Thank you to anyone who has information!
Thanks to all for helping!  It's what keeps communities like this alive and growing!

CodySharp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 08:16:10 pm »
Ok, I did some reading on others that have had this issue, and tried some of their troubleshooting items:
Add a CD-ROM drive - board does not detect the CD-ROM drive (I know it works). 
Try different IDE cables - makes no difference on either the CD-ROM drive OR the IDE drive. 
Try setting jumpers for CS on the drives, or other jumpers - Setting any jumper on the HDD causes the board to not see it.  Setting any option on the CD-ROM drive makes no change.
Try different power supply (I have a red board installed now, with 2.09 Eagle ROM), same results.
Start cabinet with Start button held - Unit goes into test mode, states all passes except the sign (which I don't have, I don't think?), and then states Board failure at the very end, but shows nothing stating any board failing during the beginning of the test.  Video card passes, main board memory passes, drive passes, not sure what I'm missing?
I'm going to keep reading on this, as I'm curious as to what is causing this behavior, and this seems to be a common problem.  I have considered ordering the Compact Flash drive from Arcade Services, but don't wanna dump any more money into the unit if it isn't going to work...

toastbot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 11:11:02 am
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 11:34:11 am »
I have considered ordering the Compact Flash drive from Arcade Services, but don't wanna dump any more money into the unit if it isn't going to work...

If the original hard drive image is messed up, that compact flash kit will fix the issue, just make sure the version you get matches your version of Golden Tee.

i.e. 2004 won't work in a 2003 etc.

CodySharp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:34:32 pm »
Fun fact, I finally figured it out.  The new red board I have is a 2006.  The old green board and hard drive image I had was for 2005.  Cabinet says 2005.  I took the U53 from the green board and put it in the red board, and got a message about not being compatible.  SO, swapped it back, and put the 2006 files on the HDD, and wow, booted right up!  Still going to pick up the compact flash so I don't have to worry about the hdd crashing, but just thought that it was interesting that the guy that had it before me was sent a 2006 board and a 2005 hard drive (the HDD has a sticker on it for the 2005!). 
Oh well!