Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Connection question for a trackball on an Optipac and two GGG TT2's  (Read 3515 times)

Diewrecked

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2012, 07:34:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi guys,

I've got a 3" Happ trackball, two GGG TT2's and an Optipac.  The spinners have their own USB connector board and the trackball has the Optipac, but the Optipac can also handle two spinners. Would you recommend connecting them with the Optipac or their own interface? What's the easiest to hook up/configure?

Thanks all
Jon

Diewrecked

• Offline Offline
Re: Connection question for a trackball on an Optipac and two GGG TT2's
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:20:42 pm »
Anyone? Can I even plug a TT2 into an Optipac?

Thanks guys :)

ideft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2012, 04:06:09 pm
  • "Mister, I suspect you to be a dope fiend"
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:20:17 pm »
No the TT2 need there own interface board.  There is a list of spinners that work on GGG website.

Diewrecked

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 02:21:09 am »
No the TT2 need there own interface board.  There is a list of spinners that work on GGG website.

Great many thanks for your advice Ideft.

scotthh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2012, 10:03:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 09:30:06 am »
Try the search function. I searched for: Optipac tt2
ideft asked basically the same question last year. One of the replies contradicts his advice.

ideft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2012, 04:06:09 pm
  • "Mister, I suspect you to be a dope fiend"
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 06:55:01 pm »
Sorry my bad,  TT2 spinners don't work with the optiwiz unless you have the special board that comes with it.  Not sure about the optipac. 

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 02:42:41 pm »
Sorry my bad,  TT2 spinners don't work with the optiwiz unless you have the special board that comes with it.  Not sure about the optipac. 

I thought the board that comes with the TT2 is the optiwiz?  Sure you can't plug the optiwiz into another optiwiz, same with plugging optiwiz into optipac.

TT2 slave version, which AFAIK is the same as the normal version minus the optiwiz, works fine with the optiwiz or the optipac.  (So the normal version minus the optiwiz part should work with the optipac, too.)

edit: Okay, the page says "Special Opti-Wiz™ based board".  What the heck does that mean?
Robin
Knowledge is Power

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 06:13:34 pm »
edit: Okay, the page says "Special Opti-Wiz™ based board".  What the heck does that mean?

It means that it is different than the stock Opti-Wiz.  The TurboTwist 2 required a different component to be installed than the one on the stock Opti-Wiz.  The stock Opti-Wiz has been tested extensively (Thanks Kremmit!) with a good number of optical arcade devices, so I did not wish to alter the original design.  This has no bearing on the TT2's ability to be used with other optical interfaces (I understand that it has been done successfully), only that the TT2 requires a special Opti-Wiz.

Anyone wanting to connect a TB and TT2 to the same device should use the Master version of the TT2 and connect the trackball to the interface supplied with it.  However, given the issues with the Z-axis under Windows and the fact that MAME no longer adjusts for it, I find myself recommending that folks just use a separate interface for each unit.  That way, the TT2 can use the X-Axis, the TB can use X and Y, and MAME can keep track of them as MOUSEx.

RandyT