Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade cabinet at Costco  (Read 2318 times)

Benevolance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
Arcade cabinet at Costco
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:45:10 pm »
I saw this arcade cabinet for sale at Costco when I was browsing the other day. I think it's similar to the one that Sears (?) was carrying way back?

I pointed out the price tag to my wife and she was glad we chose to build our own. Even with a few unplanned expenses, our current arcade bill is still sitting at about 1/3 that price. :)

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 09:09:30 am
  • The Saw Is Family
Re: Arcade cabinet at Costco
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:49:09 pm »
I think you are paying for a lot of those games with this one.
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 02:23:28 pm »
This unit as well as the ones sold at Walmart/Target come up for discussion now and then and the general consensus is always "Garbage - PASS"...  do a search for "COSTCO"...these things are the only time Costco comes up on the forums i'd imagine.

EDIT: I pulled a search and was surprised by the number of different posts containing COSTCO...in any case,  it also pulls up a number of threads regarding this (and other) units from Costco...

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:25:13 pm by FrizzleFried »
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:01:48 pm »
The construction didn't look great, but it didn't look terrible. I've seen a lot better cabinets on the forums.

The thing I noticed most was how short the cabinet was. They had it sitting on a crate at the end of the aisle, which propped it up about six to eight inches. At that height, it was comfortable to play. But remove the riser...

DrumAnBass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 11:39:59 pm
  • "I love this computer magic!" - Viv Savage
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 06:20:08 pm »
That same Costco machine is what got me to do a google search for "building your own arcade machine." I ended up finding this site and now have a way better machine than that for a fraction of the cost, plus the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Build your own - you won't regret it!   :cheers:
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; I only gargle."