Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Punch-Out!! restoration (Complete!!) - new bezel!  (Read 34961 times)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Punch-Out!! restoration (Complete!!) - new bezel!
« on: August 24, 2008, 10:03:51 pm »
Started working on restoring my Punch-Out!!. 

The game is in working condition, but will undergo the following treatment:

Cap both monitors (bad foldover on the top of the bottom monitor)
New side art (none on it currently)
New CPO
Paint or laminate the sides (if I can find the correct formica, I'll go that route otherwise I'll paint)
Remove (or replace) scratches in the bezel
Replace black t-molding with white t-molding
Remove batteries from board

Here is what I started with...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 03:05:47 pm by Spyridon »
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
Re: Punch-Out!! restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »
First step was to work on the control panel.

Before and After

And now the details:

The old overlay pulled off without too much trouble

I used Citristrip to take off the residual adhesive and then sandpaper to remove the rust spots.

After removing the rust spots, I hit it with a coat of metal primer

CPO came from Quarter Arcade

I used a dremel to shine up the carrige bolts and cleaned the buttons with some dish detergent and water

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:18:06 pm »
Next up was to remove the monitors, speakers, marquee, etc to get it ready for painting.  I'm going to check on some options for formica tomorrow, but if I don't find a good option, I'll go with paint.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 07:10:40 am »

w00t Punchout!  Good choice.  CP looks great now.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:28:56 am »
Lookin' good!

robstraws

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2017, 12:28:32 am
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:30:11 am »
I almost bought one of these a few months back.  Wish I had the guy only wanted 150 bucks.  Nice Cp!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 02:05:50 pm »
Moved the game into the garage today for painting.  I checked a few stores and they didn't have black formica in stock, so I'm going to go with paint.

Used bondo to fill in some holes:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:08:01 pm »
Sanded the bondo smooth:

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 04:34:31 pm »
When you get to the paint, could you do some really close shots?  One possibly with a reflection of something basically touching the cabinet?

I got some samples of the laminate and for my PO, polished finish is the correct texture, but may be a bit too reflective.

Looking good so far, this is really motivating me to finish mine.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 04:28:54 pm »
When you get to the paint, could you do some really close shots?  One possibly with a reflection of something basically touching the cabinet?

Sure.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 04:31:42 pm »
Cab masked off and ready for painting:

I didn't go with a primer coat on this one based on some recommendations from someone who has repainted a lot of Nintendo cabs.  Here is the first coat of black paint. 

Oil based paint is a pain to clean up, but it sure does look good when dry.

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 08:24:51 pm »
HVLP sprayer I assume or did you roll it?  What brand paint and sheen did you end up choosing?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 11:45:03 pm »
HVLP sprayer I assume or did you roll it? 

Yes, I used a HVLP sprayer.  I don't think I can go back to rollers after using this.

What brand paint and sheen did you end up choosing?

I used Rustoleum satin black paint.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 10:12:06 pm »
I used some 220 grit sandpaper to smooth out the surface then applied a second coat of black paint.

I'll look at it tomorrow when it is dry and determine if it needs a third or if it is ready to go.  If it needs a third coat, I'll use some 600 grit sandpaper prior to the paint going on.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 05:21:39 pm by Spyridon »

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 05:25:00 pm »
Okay, today I put on the third and final coat of paint.  I used 600 grit sandpaper prior to applying the paint.  This worked really well and I ended up with a beautiful finish.  I'm very happy with the results.  Clean up is a pain with oil based paints, but I can't argue with the nice results you get.

And to cut down on the number of clean ups, I have been doing a two for one special...

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 08:17:41 pm »
Nice looking paint job. I've always shied away from oil paints and have never used them through an HVLP sprayer. Did you use the same process as with the GORF blue, but instead used acetone to thin?

And finally, looking at the results on both cabs, can you compare and contrast how you think the oil paint out performs, result-wise.....the water-based paints? Thanks.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 07:41:23 am »
Nice looking paint job. I've always shied away from oil paints and have never used them through an HVLP sprayer. Did you use the same process as with the GORF blue, but instead used acetone to thin?

Yes, same process but acetone instead of water to thin.  Also, it took a lot less to thin it out than the latex paint, so you aren't diluting the color as much.

And finally, looking at the results on both cabs, can you compare and contrast how you think the oil paint out performs, result-wise.....the water-based paints? Thanks.

The oil paint seems to go on smoother than the water based paints.  It seems easier to get a perfectly smooth result.  That being said, the results with the latex paint was still very good.  The Rustoleum black paint seems to be a very good choice for black cabs and I would recommend going with it, however, I think for any other color I would still probably go with a latex paint because it is just so much easier to work with.

DarkKobold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2013, 11:31:23 pm
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 12:40:52 pm »
Are you in Salt Lake City? I swear I just saw this machine for sale...
-------------------------------------
My games: Tapper, Asteroids, Cocktail-MAME, Tron, ROTJ, Tempest, Star Wars (not working)
My wants: Warlords Cocktail

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 05:24:34 pm »
Your threads inspired me to buy a compressor yesterday. Planning to do some spray painting for my cabs. Need to get a spray gun like that....

WunderCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 09:27:34 pm »
Great Andre...that means you'll be able to sandblast as well. Which is way cool for metal parts...can't beat it.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 09:58:18 pm »
Your threads inspired me to buy a compressor yesterday. Planning to do some spray painting for my cabs. Need to get a spray gun like that....

Nice.  You won't be dissapointed.  And like WunderCade said above, definitely look into sandblasting.  (see my Gorf thread for details on the cabinet)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 09:58:43 pm »
Are you in Salt Lake City? I swear I just saw this machine for sale...

Nope.  Pennsylvania. 

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 11:22:50 am »
Great Andre...that means you'll be able to sandblast as well. Which is way cool for metal parts...can't beat it.
HA, I hadn't even thought about that yet ! :)

I will need a good and compact sandblasting box though....don't have too much space for it :S

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 12:28:03 pm »
Nope.  Pennsylvania. 

That figures, PA is like Grand Central Station for Punch-Out machines.

Do you have a closer picture of the underside of your KO button? It looks different than what I am used to seeing, but that may be an illusion from the low resolution picture.

Nice job so far BTW; the paint and CPO look great.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 01:54:22 pm »
That figures, PA is like Grand Central Station for Punch-Out machines.

Yeah, I've seen several in PA.  I wasn't even looking for one and this one showed up on Craigslist close to me for a great price.  Couldn't pass it up.

Do you have a closer picture of the underside of your KO button? It looks different than what I am used to seeing, but that may be an illusion from the low resolution picture.

Probably just looks different from the photo.  I'll take a close up and post it.

Nice job so far BTW; the paint and CPO look great.

Thanks for the compliments. 

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 09:51:28 pm »

Here you go

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 09:54:55 pm »
Moved the game out of the garage and into the basement/gameroom.  Started to reassemble the parts.

Put the speakers back in place

Nintendo serial number plate back on the back

Grills back in place as well

I polished the marquee with Novus #1 and then put it back on the cab

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 09:57:16 pm »
I took the coin door apart in preparation for painting it.

On one of the coin reject buttons I'm missing the cover piece (middle item in picture below)

Anyone know where to get replacements for these?

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 11:53:55 pm »

Here you go
Okay, thanks.

Yeah, that's normal. The smaller picture made it look different, and I wondered if a new version of the KO button had been discovered.

jow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2011, 04:14:10 pm
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 03:35:53 pm »
Looks good, ace.

Looking forward to the finished product.

WunderCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 04:51:30 pm »
Nice to see you made it over to the "other spot". Welcome Jow.

That black finish looks good Spyridon, how did the sides turn out close up?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:54:02 pm by WunderCade »

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 08:27:48 pm »
Looks good, ace.

Hey Jow.  So it took a Punch-Out!! restore to bring you over here.  Welcome!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 08:29:01 pm »
That black finish looks good Spyridon, how did the sides turn out close up?

It game out pretty nice.  It doesn't have that baked on hardened look that the original had, but I like it.  I'll try and take a close up pic of the paint.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 08:32:20 pm »
I used a drill with a wire wheel on it to strip the paint and rust off of the coin door.  It's actually a faster process than when I used the sandblaster on the Gorf coin door.  I was really surprised on how easy it was to strip down.

Upper door:

Lower door:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 09:32:43 am »
I will need a good and compact sandblasting box though....don't have too much space for it :S

Adapt a plastic storage bin... then when you're not using it you can store stuff in it.  Double usage saves space.

jow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2011, 04:14:10 pm
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 11:48:44 am »
Looks good, ace.

Hey Jow.  So it took a Punch-Out!! restore to bring you over here.  Welcome!

Thank you, good sir.  It seems we are lacking in the resto thread dept "over there".  I have been enjoying this one, and all the other one's on this board.  My Punch-Out is currently not working, but once she's up and running, I too will resto it.  Im def taking notes.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 02:49:42 pm »
My Punch-Out is currently not working, but once she's up and running, I too will resto it.  Im def taking notes.

Do the cab restore now before you get it working.  Once you get it working, you know you won't want to stop playing.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2008, 12:18:39 pm »
Painted the coin door using Rustoleum Textured black paint

Here is a shot while still wet:

And when dry:

I'm really happy  with the way it turned out.

I also used a dremel with a wire wheel attachment to shine up the coin return cover.
Here you can see the difference between the one I worked on (left) and the untouched one (right):

I also polished them when complete.  Here are both of the finished products:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2008, 08:40:09 am »
Coin door installed back into the cab:

I also added a lock to the back of the cab:

Since I already had two locks on the front coin doors that used the same key, I wanted the back door lock to also use the same key to open it.  I followed the tutorial over at Arcade Restoration Workshop on how to key all the locks to same.  I used an old lock I removed from a Robotron and I only needed to remove one tumbler to make it work

To end the weekend, I installed the white t-molding.  Sure makes a big difference.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2008, 10:05:25 am »

That is some fine work.   :cheers: