Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Burke's MAME bar  (Read 37292 times)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: Burke's MAME bar
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 08:59:03 pm »
I agree!

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:32:21 am
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 09:18:20 pm »
We talked about this one.  It's a really nice bar, and we all agree it's a neat idea, but the consensus was that it really didn't go "far enough".  The inside of the control panel should (in at least my opinion) have been more "arcade-ish".  I can appreciate that it was supposed to be a bar first, and a game machine second, but maybe a blinky light or two?

Don't take this as any kind of criticism for the project...games and home bars are some of my mostest bestest favorite things in the world, and I'd have no problem tipping back a few at this place!

Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:10:56 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2008, 03:14:31 am »
We talked about this one.  It's a really nice bar, and we all agree it's a neat idea, but the consensus was that it really didn't go "far enough".  The inside of the control panel should (in at least my opinion) have been more "arcade-ish".  I can appreciate that it was supposed to be a bar first, and a game machine second, but maybe a blinky light or two?

Don't take this as any kind of criticism for the project...games and home bars are some of my mostest bestest favorite things in the world, and I'd have no problem tipping back a few at this place!

i think youve blown THAT invite  ;D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Burke LaShell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2015, 06:45:05 pm
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2008, 06:16:28 pm »
the consensus was that it really didn't go "far enough".  The inside of the control panel should (in at least my opinion) have been more "arcade-ish".
I really have to agree.  I love my bar, but it didn't push the envelope of MAME.  It's just a plain vanilla implementation of MAME.  I'd take a BARBIE, but it's not in the same class as a MAMEY.

...and you are all still invited over for a game and a beer!  :cheers:

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2008, 11:50:06 am »
As long as you understand that there was NO insult intended towards this (we had a good discussion on it, and I for one will very likely copy your idea for my own home bar).  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2008, 10:20:27 am »
Very cool job on that. The only complaint I have, and its a minor one, is the mismatched wood grain of the bottom of the control panel and the rest of the bar. Was that intentional, or 'just happened that way'.

Either way, that is a kick-ass project!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2008, 11:12:08 am »
What software are you using on your touchscreen jukebox?  Do you like it?   :cheers:

Burke LaShell

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2008, 06:41:13 pm »
The only complaint I have, and its a minor one, is the mismatched wood grain of the bottom of the control panel and the rest of the bar. Was that intentional, or 'just happened that way'.
Busted!  I have to agree with you.  If I had to do it over again, I think I would have used the same birch plywood instead of solid oak on the underside of the control panel so that it matches the rest of the bar.

What software are you using on your touchscreen jukebox?  Do you like it?
I'm using eJukebox.  http://www.audiosoft.net/
I looked at a whole bunch of free packages, but didn't find any that did what I wanted.  eJukebox is a bit expensive (I paid $79 for a lifetime license), but it works really well and everyone is able to use it without any instructions. 

hitec

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2010, 10:16:18 pm
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 09:02:08 am »
Hi Burke,

That is a hell of an Idea, amazing it looks great! I bought a house in the beginning of the summer and now it is time to make the Man Cave! I started doing searches on google for man cave's and your bar came out on one of the sites and I followed the link here. I didn't even think of that and I built a mame cabinet myself about 5 years ago (YOU ARE A GENIUS). In fact I am refinishing cab again because it got pretty banged up in the move my brother and friend dropped it going down a flight of stairs..ouch!

Anyways, I was wondering if it was cool with you if I used your idea in my bar? If so are there any suggestion or helpful hints or don't you may have? I plan on setting up a four player (I already have the keyboard converter for it because I planned on making my cabinet a 4 player never got around to it.) I was also thinking about adding a track ball that way I wouldn't need a mouse in PC mode.  What size TV did you use? I have been out of the Mame loop for abit how does the newer TV format work with the old arcade game? because everything is 16:9 today and the old screens are 4:3

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:45:04 am by hitec »

Mr Wilson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2018, 01:24:44 pm
  • it never ends!!!!
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2009, 02:26:44 pm »
PIMP!!!    :afro:

Burke LaShell

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2009, 08:45:26 pm »
Anyways, I was wondering if it was cool with you if I used your idea in my bar? If so are there any suggestion or helpful hints or don't you may have? I plan on setting up a four player
Go for it.  We keep this hobby moving forward by sharing ideas and improving on them.  If I had it to do over, I'd make the bottom of the control panel out of the same sheet of plywood as the front of the bar to make it blend in better.  The control panel is 4' wide, which is about right (not too heavy, wide enough for 4 players, and small enough for two joystick games like SmashTV).

I was also thinking about adding a track ball that way I wouldn't need a mouse in PC mode.
Good idea.  I have a wireless keyboard and mouse for PC operation.  A trackball would be nice for trackball games.

What size TV did you use? I have been out of the Mame loop for abit how does the newer TV format work with the old arcade game? because everything is 16:9 today and the old screens are 4:3
42" TV.  I like it.  I had a previous cab with a TV using S-video.  I like VGA much better (but others have a different opinion).

Keep us posted!

hitec

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2010, 10:16:18 pm
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2009, 10:14:38 pm »
Thank you for all the info I appreciate it. I will keep you posted. I am doing all the planning now and plan on starting construction around the end of October when my brother gets some time off to give me a hand.

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2009, 01:50:07 pm »
Thank you for all the info I appreciate it. I will keep you posted. I am doing all the planning now and plan on starting construction around the end of October when my brother gets some time off to give me a hand.

I've also just completed a bar project.  Don't want to hijack this thread (as it was partially responsible for getting me started on my own), so you can check it out here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=96551.0

(sorry burke!)  :cheers: