Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project: Paperboy  (Read 13047 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
Project: Paperboy
« on: August 12, 2008, 01:37:04 pm »
Today I purchased a Paperboy... it doesn't work...only garbage appears on the screen according to the seller.  I will be picking it up tonight after work.  It seems to be in decent shape...and hopefully the PCB issues are only a lack of solid +5v.   I think I may fully restore this one.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Project: Paperboy
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 01:49:06 pm »

Woohoo, I love Paperboy.  Watch out, though, there appear to be two guys taking pictures of your game.  Make sure they don't have a dog that is on your lawn. 

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 04:59:30 pm »
Me too. That is certainly one game I'd love to own one day. One's for sale locally, but it's in pretty bad shape so I don't want to take it on as my first restore, particularly since the CPO artwork is apparently not readily available (I'm tempted though!).

I'll be watching your restore with interest and envy, Frizzle!
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 11:50:59 am »
There is one available locally to me also, and I am really tempted to get it for restoring. It is one of these where they say, "It worked until a few months ago, then just stopped working."

So I too will be interested in finding out whatever gotchas you come across, artwork you find, etc. I have yet to convince myself of a good reason to drag yet another non-working project into my garage... other than to feed my addiction.

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 02:04:45 pm »
You all need to send those to the east coast.  I'm ideally looking for a 720, but would probably settle for a System II cab like a Paperboy or Championship Sprint if available.

BTW Frizz, did you sell your old Paperboy PCB yet?

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 03:59:59 pm »
UPDATE:  I just received my working PCB set via FedEx and they didn't screw it up...I also received my new black T-Molding today for the project.  Last week the vinyl and side art arrived.  The week before that my Bob Roberts kit for the K7000 medium res monitor arrived.  All I need to do now is rebuild the monitor,  remove the side art,  remove the vinyl,  bondo a few nicks,  sand,  paint the front black,  apply the vinyl,  apply the side art,  mount he working PCB's and we're good as gold.

...unfortunately I've been dealing with an injury on my ankle for the last 4 weeks (today).   Sunday it was diagnosed as a Staph Infection...I don't want to be standing up for long periods of time.

SO...this project is likely on hold for a few weeks.

EDIT: Once I determine if one or both of my "non working" boards are bad I will be selling them... any offers?   ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:32:38 pm by FrizzleFried »

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 04:36:17 pm »
Staph? Oh man, that can be BAD! I don't know much about how that's treated, but I hope you're doing ok!

Sounds like you've got some fun lined up for when you're recovered!
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

hatrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2020, 12:47:20 pm
  • Big Brother is Watching You!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 04:39:02 pm »

...unfortunately I've been dealing with an injury on my ankle for the last 4 weeks (today).   Sunday it was diagnosed as a Staph Infection...I don't want to be standing up for long periods of time.

Jeeze dude. You just can't get a break with that ankle! Hope it heals up soon.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 04:42:35 pm »

He's been putting that foot in too many peoples' asses.  That's the problem.  He wore the damn thing out.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 05:19:59 pm »
All I need to do now is rebuild the monitor,  remove the side art,  remove the vinyl,  bondo a few nicks,  sand,  paint the front black,  apply the vinyl,  apply the side art,  mount he working PCB's and we're good as gold.

... and scan, vectorize, order and install your new CPO, since there is no love in the artwork forum.  ;)

Good luck with your ankle!

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 05:47:41 pm »
Update: I unsuccessfully rebuilt the Wells Gardner K7000 medium res chassis this had in it.  These K7000 medium res chassis run real hot.  It was pretty burned up.  I did my best but something still is off as I still get no picture and no high voltage.  I shipped it off to a friend Chris to have him look at it.

Tonight I plan on pulling the T-Molding and getting started on removing the vinyl sides.  Once removed I will be bondoing a couple spots.

The ankle is healing...slowly...real slowly.

At least the swelling is down.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 11:18:20 pm »
I removed the T-molding, side art and vinyl this evening.  The vinyl came off much easier than I anticipated.  I didn't even need to break out the heat gun.  I had both sides completely off and clean in less than an hour.  The T-Molding came off nice and easy as well.  If only the monitor chassis would have gone as easy...

Here are a couple before/after photos...

Overall the sides are in good condition.  There are a few scuffs and a couple edges that will need to be rebuilt.  Here is the worst of the damage that will need to be attended to.  What do you all say,  Bondo?!?

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 11:31:32 pm »
Bondo is great, but it does take some skill if you haven't used it before. I've only used it a little bit and it wasn't as easy as I expected. It goes from soft to hard almost like a flip of the switch, and it is hard when it comes to sanding, so you gotta be careful not to sand surrounding softer materials (wood) as you try to finish the bondo surface. Make sure you minimize the excess bondo as much as possible before it hardens!

This is what I've learned through the few bondo experiences I've had, anyway. Good luck!

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 01:24:16 am »
Not sure bondo is really necessary for such minor repairs.
NO MORE!!

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 09:54:12 am »
Not sure bondo is really necessary for such minor repairs.

What would you suggest?  Simple wood filler?  I worry because of the repairs right at the edge on the control panel...but this type of control panel won't have people leaning on it really (both hands on bars when you play usually?)

Also,  I was thinking about putting a coat of primer down if I used bondo as the color for the bondo is much different than the wood color and you may be able to see through the vinyl... if I went wood filler of a similar color I may be able to forgo the primer.  Opinions?

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 05:20:36 pm »
I guess I owe you a reply since I said what I did.  ;)

You have valid points regarding the corner. Myself, my machines are never exposed to many people or much moving around, so I really haven't had occasion to bump corners. You definitely will have a stronger corner if you use bondo. The question is whether or not it will ever get bumped hard enough to crack off other choices, like a good wood filler.
NO MORE!!

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 06:54:21 pm »
For small nicks like that I usually use Bondo Glazing and Spot putty.  It air dries unlike real bondo so you might have to do a little waiting, but it is thinner than regular bondo so it gets into the tiny nicks better.  You could give it a try, a tube is just a few dollars.  For larger areas or corners that need some serious strength, the glazing putty isn't strong or thick enough (it also shrinks slightly).  I still prefer it over any wood putty I've used.  Never found a wood putty I liked.

Wade

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 06:55:16 pm »
Where did you get your sideart?

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 07:20:35 pm »
Where did you get your sideart?

I got the sideart and vinyl from a guy on KLOV...but Pr0k over on KLOV sells it I do believe...

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 06:57:22 pm »
One side is complete.  I went with the "fold-over" method of installation and installed dry.  Overall I am satisfied.  There are a number of bubbles in the side art but I did my best to "needle" them out.  If I were insanely anal I'd be working on it for a week...but likely I am only semi-anal and I am satisfied. 

The vinyl came out good too...

On to the next side...

Here's some bondo work I had to do to the bottom edge ...I'd already done work up top but didn't realize how bad the bottom was until I tipped it on it's side.  I expect the other side to be the same...

Here is the bondo work cleaned up.  It's far from perfect,  but decent enough for sure.  Also,  I found some paint that matched the wood color enough that I didn't need to prime the sides...I figured that if bare wood was good enough for the original vinyl it's good enough for the repro.  The red-bondo was too contrasting...with the paint you can't see any differences through the vinyl.

Here is the side completed...vinyl installed...T-molding installed...side art installed...

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 07:13:47 pm »
You did a very nice job frizzle! I remember when I got my cpo from mamemarquees, he said that any bubbles could simply be "popped" with a pin. Depending on how noticeable your bubbles are, that may be a preferable alternative?

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 03:22:21 am »
Sides are complete...T-Molding, vinyl and sideart.  Overall I am happy.

Next comes the black paint.  There's a "chip" in the black vinyl at the bottom left.  I figured a couple coats of black oil based should do.  I will also be removing the coin door and re-painting.   The bezel you see in the pic had an Idaho tax stamp on the middle...of course it didn't come up nice so the bezel is going to get painted as well.

My monitor chassis should be here likely Tuesday.  I can't wait.

jow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2011, 04:14:10 pm
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 10:28:32 am »
Very nice, Frizzy.

Did you see my post aboot the Paperboy scores on the "other boards"?  You need to get this up and running so we can have some Paperboy competition going.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 11:19:08 am »
The sides turned out real nice.  Looking good.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 11:58:20 pm »
Next I opted to paint a small area of the black portion of the cabinet up front instead of using vinyl.  It is a small area and frankly,  you can't tell the difference regardless.  I also opted to keep the current front black area t-molding/vinyl.  It is in about 8.5-9 condition and there's no need to go stripping it out.

I painted the bezel black as well...unfortunately there was an Idaho Tax stamp stuck to the middle lower portion of the bezel.  I removed it and when I did it took up a layer of the bezel.  Painted you can still see the area a bit...I will likely replace the bezel one day or find a nice Paperboy sticker to put there or something...I dunno.

The monitor chassis arrived.  I plugged it in and got jack----steaming pile of meadow muffin---... the same "static" sound I got before.  I was instructed to removed one leg of the D10 diode to test if it was the voltage regulator....sure enough,  it fired up.  I currently have a voltage regulator or two in the mail my way.   There is still a chance my tube is shorted causing the regulator to blow which would, frankly,  SUCK BIG TIME.  Lets hope for the best,  eh.

Anyway,  I'm pretty much done with the restore aside from the monitor chassis (I hope anyway!)... I'd replace the CPO if there was one available (PM me if you have a source for one!)...aside from that the cab looks damn good.  Easily a B+ / A- all things considered.

Here are some comparison shots.  One side isn't a huge contrast,  the other....well,  you decide.

EDIT: By the way,  I need grips!  I can get black ones for like $10.00 + shipping,  but I want Blue ones...does anyone have a source?!?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:01:14 am by FrizzleFried »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 05:44:40 pm »
Welp,  my medium resolution YOKE is shorted.  That means that I am pretty much screwed...

....or not!   Take a look at what I just bought a couple days ago...

Yup...another Atari System II machine.  The plan is to rape this A.P.B. of it's medium resolution monitor.  Originally I had planned then to part out the A.P.B. (thereby making me an arcade whore),  but alas...I got to playing the game and IT'S FUN!  So...while I will still be stealing the monitor for the Paperboy (for now),  I am in the marked for a Medium Res monitor so I can keep BOTH cabs.

I ended up trading my Space Invaders for the A.P.B. and $50.00... and I already miss my lovely Space Invaders... oh well.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
Re: Project: Paperboy (It's Alive!)
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 01:51:34 am »
After swapping monitors with the A.P.B. I picked up recently I discovered the original boards I thought were toast actually WORK!  Well...sort of.  The game comes up and looks terrific!  The sound,  unfortunately,  does what it always has done... "tick tick tick tick" with a "bong" here and there.  Playing the game causes some different tone "ticks" etc,  and once in a while a drum beat will sneak in,  but that's it...

...anyone have any idea where to start or if these boards are worth even bothering with considering I have a working set on the bench.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »
In the self-test mode, there is a section on the 6502 processor (sound). It checks the processor, RAM, ROM and the synthesizers. Then there is the option to select a sound individually and play it. These tests may help you narrow down the problem.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 02:35:52 pm »
It appears that only a couple of the sounds worked.  I figured "screw it" and dropped in the working boardset I bought recently.  It works great...except that I evidently can't max out left... because when I play it appears to play fine,  but at the level selection screen,  if I move to the right,  I cant get back to EASY STREET....i've even calibrated.  I guess I will have to pull the CP and take a look at the pots.

Anyone want this other semi-working boardset?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 02:58:34 pm »
Been offered a Paperboy when I bought my red MB. I passed since I thought it's a lousy game, but now I''m not so sure. Most original arcade games that I played on my 8-bit Atari's that were only so-so on that system are great games in the original arcade version. (Like that very Mario Bros. !)

APB f.i. I've only played on the Lynx.

Nice restore Frizz. Why blue grips, just your preference or is that original ?

[Edit, just checked the flyer, blue they should be :)]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:01:02 pm by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 03:02:08 pm »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 03:07:39 pm »
Looks like the manufacturer doesn't produce them anymore in the lighter blue.....

http://huntwildegrips.com/hw-catalog.pdf

Guess it's the WX model ? The darker blue seems to still be in production though ? Worth checking out.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:09:35 pm by Level42 »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 04:25:53 pm »
Not perfect, but still nice:

http://www.videogameparts.com/product.sc?categoryId=21&productId=413

No way in hell I'll pay $32 for $8.00 set of grips...I'll go black first....or a different type (franky',  I actually prefer other types of grips anyway!)

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 05:26:44 pm »
Welp...here she is in all her glory...

TO DO: Grips - locks - fix slightly annoying interference

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 05:47:47 pm »
Looks very nice. I'm jealous!

(P.S. Saw in klov that you're in Nampa. My dad grew up in Nampa, and my parents bought a 2nd house in Boise, so now I take the family out there somewhat often for trips to see the grandparents.)

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 06:08:44 pm »
Next time you are out this way and if you want to get away from the "family"...shoot me an email/pm and I'll send you my number.  You're welcome to drop by!

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 06:09:16 pm »
Very Nice FF.

Did you see this post in B/S/T?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=85433.msg895899#msg895899

Paperboy CP and the CPO looks pretty nice. Maybe you can make a deal with the seller.

Encryptor

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 06:22:04 pm »
Next time you are out this way and if you want to get away from the "family"...shoot me an email/pm and I'll send you my number.  You're welcome to drop by!

I might take you up on that offer! Your game room serves as inspiration to me - one day as I gradually acquire games and I have a bigger house, I will have a game room that hopefully rivals yours. ;D (I'm in Portland, btw)

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 06:22:18 pm »
Thanks for the heads up...saw it.  If it were "perfect" i'd be all over it,  but frankly,  my CPO is in decent enough shape to wait for "perfect"...

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 06:23:18 pm »

I might take you up on that offer! Your game room serves as inspiration to me - one day as I gradually acquire games and I have a bigger house, I will have a game room that hopefully rivals yours. ;D (I'm in Portland, btw)

Thank you... it just takes garage space and a very understanding wife.   :cheers:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2008, 06:41:35 pm »
Not perfect, but still nice:

http://www.videogameparts.com/product.sc?categoryId=21&productId=413

No way in hell I'll pay $32 for $8.00 set of grips...I'll go black first....or a different type (franky',  I actually prefer other types of grips anyway!)

Still, $32 for these are a better investment than $750 for some Multi-Jamma boards ;)

Prices are extremely high on that site, but rare=expensive. Not sure about those grips, they still seem to be manufactured so a bike shop may be able to deliver them ? I didn't like the feel of them as well. Too "mushy", no wonder why all those "ribs" come off, way to soft.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade

jow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 11:09:01 am »
Frizz,

Get the old school Mushroom Grips.  Thats what I have, and its just like the ones I used to have on my BMX bike when I was a young chap.  They look sweet, too:

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 12:31:55 pm »
Now,  according to the paperboy on the CP I should get YELLOW grips,  no?

jow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2008, 12:34:02 pm »
I talked to a bunch of people about that.  Its strange that all the artwork shows him with yellow grips, but the choice of blue was made.

You can put whatever color you want, good sir.