Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gutted Defender Cabinet - Restore vs. MAME?  (Read 7061 times)

Flake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
Gutted Defender Cabinet - Restore vs. MAME?
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:25:26 pm »
I have a gutted Defender cabinet that is just that - completely gutted.  The artwork is in pretty decent shape and there is some slight water damage to the base of the cabinet.  I picked it up with the intention of restoring it but after I got to thinking about it I how is this really a restore when I have to purchase everything to get it running?

I also have interest in building a driving MAME cabinet someday and was wondering if I dont restore this cabinet could it be converted to a driving MAME cabinet?  Has anyone ever done this?  I couldnt find any information on this type of conversion on the boards.

padstack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 12:54:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Gutted Defender Cabinet - Restore vs. MAME?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 12:28:22 pm »
IMO, it's your cabinet and you paid for it so whatever you want to do.  Prepare for the onslaught of restore, restore, restore though.  :P I would say that you might check locally to see if someone has a cab they might trade you (dynamo or other typical conversion cab) for it as someone might like to restore it. 

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 12:55:04 pm »
Where are you located?  Because if you are near a larger city I can almost guarantee you that you could sell the defender and use the money to buy cab much more suited to what you want to do.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:57:35 pm »
Restore or sell/trade someone who will.

...but since it's gutted and there are thousands of Defenders out there...it's your choice.  I'd rather see you trade it for a JAMMA cab though if possible.
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

wbassett

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2023, 04:34:49 am
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 01:02:50 pm »
I'm a HUGE Defender fan- was home town champ when I was a kid.

Does it have the CP and controls?  Mainly the 2Way stick? 

Here's what I would do, and this is just my opinion...  I'd make it a dedicated Defender cab (seeing that I already have a multi-game cab) but I'd start out with a MAME version on a PC.  You may decide to never change it from that, but at least it's up and running and playing Defender again, and THEN start looking for the boards, monitor and everything you need to restore it back to it's original glory.

This way you get the cab looking great and can play it while you search for the parts.  Could end up getting everything quick, could take you months or a year to get everything.  Why have it just sitting there all that time and chance losing interest?

If it doesn't have the CP, here's one for $65
http://www.quarterarcade.com/Game.aspx/8340

It says it has a new overlay, but in the pic the main panel looks a bit rough.  If it has the cp but is missing parts, check around and you should be able to find the parts you need.  If you MAME it, you should be able to have it up and running again pretty quick.

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 01:10:08 pm »
Not going to be a cheap venture either way you look at it.   Defender parts are pretty expensive (joystick, bezel, CPO... etc).

You will not destroy it if you MAME it (since its empty)... just don't paint it, cut it or and goober it up with multi-game art and you can leave it open to restore in the future.

Much of the original trim pieces around the speaker panel, marquee and control panel are custom for Defender and are pretty darn difficult to get a hold of... so you may have to seek alternates in that department.
Happy Gaming!

wbassett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 01:21:40 pm »
Maming it I think would be the easy part once any cab damage is fixed and the can is made presentable.  It's the 2way stick that could be hard to find if it is missing that.

Speaking of the stick, does anyone know any places that sell authentic 2way sticks?  Are they really a special stick or just a restricted 4way?

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:59:19 pm »
I'm a HUGE Defender fan- was home town champ when I was a kid.

Does it have the CP and controls?  Mainly the 2Way stick? 

Here's what I would do, and this is just my opinion...  I'd make it a dedicated Defender cab (seeing that I already have a multi-game cab) but I'd start out with a MAME version on a PC.  You may decide to never change it from that, but at least it's up and running and playing Defender again, and THEN start looking for the boards, monitor and everything you need to restore it back to it's original glory.

This way you get the cab looking great and can play it while you search for the parts.  Could end up getting everything quick, could take you months or a year to get everything.  Why have it just sitting there all that time and chance losing interest?

If it doesn't have the CP, here's one for $65
http://www.quarterarcade.com/Game.aspx/8340

It says it has a new overlay, but in the pic the main panel looks a bit rough.  If it has the cp but is missing parts, check around and you should be able to find the parts you need.  If you MAME it, you should be able to have it up and running again pretty quick.

No it doesnt have the CP anymore either.  It really is completely gutted other than it has the marquee light and the speaker in there but the speaker looks a bit rough.

I already have a Mame machine (see avatar) so I dont need to mame this thing other than to turn it into a driving mame cabinet.  I really had (and still do have) an interest in restoring it to original condition.  I guess my question is do you consider it a "restoration" when you have to purchase EVERYTHING to get it into original condition.  Also, if I do restore it then I would have to sand/bondo the base, which would require painting, which would require me repainting everything, which would require me to sand down the entire cabinet.  So if I'm going that far with it its almost like I'm just building a dedicated Defender cabinet from scratch which again, to me isnt really a restoration.  It would be just like someone simply getting the dimensions of the cabinet, going out and buying some plywood and building it from the ground up.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 04:38:32 pm »
Does anyone know what kind of monitor the orginal Defender game used?  If I were to purchase a new monitor which one would you recommend?  Price is certainly a consideration.  It looks like you can purchase 19" arcade monitors on E-bay or even Happs for about $130 shipping included.

Any thoughts?

wbassett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 05:57:11 pm »
I don't know what make the monitor was but I believe it was a 19"

Here's a cool link on Defender and some tidbits I never knew about the game, like the scoring at upper levels...
http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=defender&page=detail&id=614

Axe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2010, 11:16:05 am
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 11:24:35 pm »
I feel your pain!!!!!

A co-worker mentioned that he has an original Pac-man cabinet that isn't in too terrible condition, but the monitor is definitely fried.  it apparently works otherwise... but a new moniter is going tobe a few bucks.... for the same price i could probably cobble together a Mame system that would run Pac-man and a computer 19" monitor to put in it... but then it isn't original anymore.

I don't actually like Pacman THAT much, so i thought about putting a 60in1 board into it, but then again, i don't want to put any holes into the cab because it is apparently all original.  and to top it off, the missus would not be too happy with having 3 cabs in the house.....

I say to restore Defender however you can.... if it's all gone, and the side art isn't too terrible, put a defender-mame in it while you source parts.... Doesn't Happ have a 2-way stick?  If you are a defender fan, i say go for it...

Me, my youth lies with "Exciting hour" (though i've yet to see an original cab EVER!)
Just when you thought you were out of Mame???

THEY PULL YOU BACK IN!

erictrumpet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2016, 11:59:23 am
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:24:24 am »
Restore it cosmetically (so from all exterior cues it is a stock, original/restored Defender), but run a PC inside with MAME on it, interfaced with a proper monitor. It will be one of the world's few MAME cabinets with controls actually placed correctly for playing Defender! :) Also, if you build the CP to look totally stock but give it a 4-way stick, the machine can still properly play a ton of classic games. So it will be a "real" Defender machine, a capable multi-game machine, and if you or anyone else ever want to make it a true restored Defender someday, no problem - just yank out the PC and put in all the correct guts.

Eric.

Edit - typos.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:28:47 am by erictrumpet »

HoopstarsGarage

• Scratch Building Demi-God!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2016, 09:24:11 pm
  • Scratch Building Demi-God..
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 03:38:40 am »
If it was mine, I'd restore it as an original Defender but with one of the Multi-Williams PCB and control panels on it..

The Multi-Williams PCB's run the following games..

*  Crash
    * Tetris
    * Robotron
    * Defender
    * Joust
    * Stargate
    * Mario Bros.
    * Qix
    * Rally-X
    * Bubbles
    * Splat
    * Sinistar
    * Moon Patrol
    * Wizard of Wor

In short, do nothing that can not be undone..

Hoops

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 07:26:34 am »
A co-worker mentioned that he has an original Pac-man cabinet that isn't in too terrible condition, but the monitor is definitely fried.  it apparently works otherwise... but a new moniter is going tobe a few bucks.... for the same price i could probably cobble together a Mame system that would run Pac-man and a computer 19" monitor to put in it... but then it isn't original anymore.

Fix the monitor?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 07:28:06 am »
Does anyone know what kind of monitor the orginal Defender game used?  If I were to purchase a new monitor which one would you recommend?  Price is certainly a consideration.  It looks like you can purchase 19" arcade monitors on E-bay or even Happs for about $130 shipping included.

Any thoughts?

Defender takes a shelf-mount standard arcade monitor.  You can likely pick one up for the low price of free to fifty bucks.

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 09:59:21 am »
I always restore mine to original but run it with mame.  I then buy a second control panel that I can easily switch out and make it a multi-panel.  Then I use original artwork and tweak it to my own liking and have it printed at mamemarquees.  I am able play thousands of other games.  It is the best of both worlds....

gatordad

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 07:11:02 pm
  • This is your brain on games.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 10:32:26 am »
If it was mine, I'd restore it as an original Defender but with one of the Multi-Williams PCB and control panels on it..

*  Crash
    * Tetris
    * Robotron
    * Defender
    * Joust
    * Stargate
    * Mario Bros.
    * Qix
    * Rally-X
    * Bubbles
    * Splat
    * Sinistar
    * Moon Patrol
    * Wizard of Wor

Hoops

+1

Read this thread it is one of the nicest defender restore/multi game conversions I have seen.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=65938.0;all

I want to do one of those one day..........

I just need a cheap or gutted Defender cab. Hint Hint.

padstack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 12:54:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 10:44:54 am »

Me, my youth lies with "Exciting hour" (though i've yet to see an original cab EVER!)

Me too, only the Mat Mania version.  I think it was a conversion only.  I don't think there ever was an original cab.
Now back the regularly scheduled thread!

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 01:57:24 pm »

Fix the monitor?

Uh, no ... give the cabinet to nice local CheffoJeffo who will then fix the monitor ...
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

*  Crash
    * Tetris
    * Robotron
    * Defender
    * Joust
    * Stargate
    * Mario Bros.
    * Qix
    * Rally-X
    * Bubbles
    * Splat
    * Sinistar
    * Moon Patrol
    * Wizard of Wor

Hoops

I have already considered this possiblity but my question is how does one play Sinistar with the Multi-Williams control panel?  Sinistar requires a 49-way joystick so does this panel come with such?

Also, Peale

Any thoughts?

Defender takes a shelf-mount standard arcade monitor.  You can likely pick one up for the low price of free to fifty bucks.

Where does one pick this up for free?  Or even for $50?  That would be pretty nice.

I think I am leaning towards the Defender cosmetic restoration with the Multi-Williams PCB and control panel.  Now does anyone have a Defender stencil for free or on the cheap?  ;) ;)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 04:37:08 pm »
Where does one pick this up for free?  Or even for $50?  That would be pretty nice.

I think I am leaning towards the Defender cosmetic restoration with the Multi-Williams PCB and control panel.  Now does anyone have a Defender stencil for free or on the cheap?  ;) ;)

Sometimes guys on RGVAC  offer monitors up for free.  Even if you post looking for something with issues that you're willing to fix you can get cheap projects.  A guy I know offered me like ten working monitors for nothing, all I had to do was pick them up.  Unfortunately, I never did (I could use them now). 

You can always ask; it never hurts.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 03:04:52 am »
I have already considered this possiblity but my question is how does one play Sinistar with the Multi-Williams control panel?  Sinistar requires a 49-way joystick so does this panel come with such?

I just happened to work on a Sinistar yesterday, and the manual says that the upright and cockpit use the 49-way but that the mini used a "regular" joystick, while still optical, I guess that it was simply 4 or 8-way. So obviously, the game was created to accept "normal" joystick input as well as the 49-way.