Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Backglass Art  (Read 2066 times)

Spaced Ace

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2010, 05:48:56 pm
  • "I'm surrounded by arcades!"
Star Wars Backglass Art
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:20:16 am »
Hey guys, I have 6 huge peices of the backglass and they are in okay shape, things can line up mostly, but there is going to be a ton of photoshop touch ups to be done.  I was wondering, would it be worth the effort to attempt this and would it really benifit the arcade community if I were to pull it off?

It is really going to be a challenge, and I don't want to spend the time & labor if only a hand full of people will ever use it.  And lets not forget that the SW arcade game has a ton of artwork, this would be only a small peice so I wonder what the point would be to do this in the first place.

If you guys say do it, I'll do it...

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Re: Star Wars Backglass Art
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:02:56 pm »
I am sure you'd be someones hero.  I always thought Star wars had some neat artwork.

nic6paul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2009, 11:38:25 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:51:43 am »

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:18:15 am »

Do you mean the pinball backglass? 

nic6paul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2009, 11:38:25 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:42:53 pm »
If it is for the pinball game that would be awesome!

Spaced Ace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2010, 05:48:56 pm
  • "I'm surrounded by arcades!"
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 06:36:33 pm »
is this the backglass you are referring to:
http://www.arcadecollecting.com/caga/unclean/StarWars_cock_backglass.jpg

Yeah, its that one, but the resolution and quality of this set I have is almost flaud.  However, the sections are really huge.  I have a monster computer that can crunch projects like this with no problem, but these are so huge I cant open more than one at a time.  So, it looks like this is a no go.  It sucks because the pixels are of excellent quality.  If I resize them to make them smaller, the image quality degrades, so I cant do this one....

bvicarious

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2020, 02:07:12 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 07:49:28 pm »
What are the dimensions of each file, and how many files are there?

kayoteq

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2022, 02:15:51 pm
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 09:15:54 am »
Well, one thing; what is the resolution of the method of printing? because you may be 'over the top', a few folks I know of who do t-shirt designs often have the problem of submitted artwork of a higher dpi than their screens, for instance.

Sounds like you're probably past the resolution of Atari's own film-based screening methods of the time.

How I would approach this:

Build an illustrator file of the appropriate size, making a vector blue grid to scale. (easier typed than done, I know)

From looking at the referenced backglass.jpg file (which even that makes my computer hiccup)

it looks like the background colors are solid (dark blue inside the grid, black outside)
and what you would want to isolate would be each element unique to the source;

The 'Star' would need to be printed as-is, but the 'Wars' is a solid color.

for example. You'd have a vector white and a vector black placed in layers above the original gradient art for the letters.
The X-wing, and Tie fighters would also need to be used as-is.  Same with the  stars.

The death star is the only one that's really integrated into the grid, even the  stars have been illustrated to fit within the blue grid rather than overlapping (note all the 'half-stars' throughout the design to account for registration errors in printing.)

Hope I haven't confused the issue further. .
But that's how I took nic6paul's image (thanks!) and made my own upright marquee; Almost there.. still have some grids to fix.
I can see how you have a problem with the file sizes; mine adds up to 150 megs. But that's photoshop pixels, not illustrator.

I would _not_ want to take on the whole big backglass unless I had a machine to put it on..  :hissy:
Somebody lend me theirs so I can.. um.. test the fitting. Yeah, that's it..
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:13:19 pm by kayoteq »
If you order a pizza, put 1 quarter in their Galaga and the pizza's done before you are, you might be a video game junkie.. if you offer to tweak the crt , definitely.