Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Program For Creating Custom Modelines?  (Read 1995 times)

lettuce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
Program For Creating Custom Modelines?
« on: August 08, 2008, 10:55:57 am »
I am wanting to create some custom modeline for soft15khz program, but dont have a clue as to how to caculate a resolution so it works with soft15khz, so how do people do it?. Im basically after creating all the common 15khz resolutions but instead of being 15khz, i want them to be 31khz instead, and still using the correct fresh rates for the games, ie not doubling the refresh rates. I did find a excel spreadsheet, but that was for the JVS-PAC project (http://jvspac.kirurg.org/?page=mame) is there a spreadsheet about for creating plain 31khz resolutions??

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
Re: Program For Creating Custom Modelines?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 01:27:31 pm »
have you posted this in the monitor forum?  I think there was some info on how to calculate those on the ultimarc page too-there's lots of data about the arcadeVGA there (I know that does 15khz, but the math/theory of calculating it should still apply)

Or just PM sailorSat directly maybe.

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 03:59:03 pm »
Google "modeline calculator". 
I never had much luck getting those to work with Soft15khz though.  I found this incredibly useful post that had just about every modeline I could think of needing (you'll have to adjust the syntax a bit to use in Soft15khz, but it's pretty straightforward):
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=70233.msg720043#msg720043

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 04:33:40 pm »
I am wanting to create some custom modeline for soft15khz program, but dont have a clue as to how to caculate a resolution so it works with soft15khz, so how do people do it?. Im basically after creating all the common 15khz resolutions but instead of being 15khz, i want them to be 31khz instead, and still using the correct fresh rates for the games, ie not doubling the refresh rates. I did find a excel spreadsheet, but that was for the JVS-PAC project (http://jvspac.kirurg.org/?page=mame) is there a spreadsheet about for creating plain 31khz resolutions??

I don't know why you want to do this. As I answered in the soft15 thread, it doesn't look good, might as well stick with D3D.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 11:31:27 am »
I don't know why you want to do this. As I answered in the soft15 thread, it doesn't look good, might as well stick with D3D.

I have had success with getting some 15khz games playing at 31khz by doubling the Vertical Freq to 120hz, and they look fantastic, so i dont know why you think they'd look awful!?, but id rather not have these games running at double the VF, 120 as appossed to 60hz, as someone posted in the soft-15hz thread that they had spoke to billbas and said that running at 120 VF over time will burning out the horizontal at high refresh rates, i know my monitor isnt a Billbas (its a Pentranic) but they both have the same spec for Vertical Freq, 47-90Hz. So would rather try and calcuate 31khz resolutions from 24x240 to 640x288 without doubling the VF

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 11:49:20 am »
Ok ive come across this calculator, http://www.zaph.com/Modeline/, how do i know what to put in for:

Sync (uS)     
Blanking (uS)     
Ratios FP

For the Vertical and Horizontal? I now what to add for the pixels and Frequency however

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 04:54:10 pm »
You're confusing things here. Just for general knowledge's sake, it would help to read easymamecab to understand why the display is essentially the same between 15khz/60hz and 31khz/120hz. Now, to the real question of using 31khz/60hz modes of arcade resolutions at double-scan: as I said before, it's not worth the effort, as using D3D is far easier and then you can, at least somewhat decently, have scanlines through the use of effects. Further, I see no reason to do arcade resolutions at 31khz/60hz double-scanned, as you can get the same effect in D3D setting bilinear filtering to 'off'. Try it, you'll see.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.