Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: spy hunter: weapon lights on screen  (Read 1827 times)

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
spy hunter: weapon lights on screen
« on: August 10, 2008, 12:39:11 am »
My static snapshot shows weapons lights at the bottom of the screen, though my video snap doesn't, and when I run mame 0.126 it doesn't either. I'm assuming this was removed at some point for accuracy, and apparently it is available through the output system for something like the led wiz.

But seeing as though I don't have the hardware to do that (yet), I'd like to run an old version of mame. MAWS doesn't indicate when the on screen display was dropped. Anyone running one of these old versions? What was the last version with it, and which version would you recommend? What are the disadvantages with the older versions?

My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Re: spy hunter: weapon lights on screen
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 09:00:13 am »
You are either missing the artwork and/or do not have artwork enabled.

http://www.mameworld.net/mrdo/mame_artwork.html

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:47:14 am »
Artwork, huh? I never would have guessed that artwork could be used for output (lighting and unlighting). I'll give it a try though! Thanks!
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:24:47 pm »
That's great! Now I just need to modify the artwork to get rid of the bezel so the actual game isn't so small.

Are there other games where the artwork is an "essential" part of the game like this? Most are just static bezels, which as much as I'd like to use them, I don't because I don't want to give up the real estate. It would be cool to get a huge square monitor so I could turn them all on. :)

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 02:19:13 pm »
If anyone wants a "minimal" spy hunter bezel that just shows the game plus the weapons lights (i.e. no bezel), here you go. AFAIK this should work regardless of your resolution or whatever. Works on my desktop (horizontal) and cab (vertical).

EDIT: the image in the zip was larger than necessary. This version is smaller yet the result is identical.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 02:54:40 pm by TheShanMan »