Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: *** UPDATE *** HyperSpin 0.8.0.1 - HyperHQ - 0.5.0.3  (Read 55021 times)

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
Re: New front end - HyperSpin - Open Beta Released
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2008, 03:15:33 pm »
Since MAME and Daphne are the only emulators I use among those included, I'm choosing not to torrent download any files related to the other emulators. I hope that won't cause problems - it cuts the download size down by 60%.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Circo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 03:27:51 am
  • Still using screenshots? Try EmuMovies instead.
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 08:51:56 pm »
Why will future themes not be allowed to contain video?

Themes can/will contain video, but we don't want people distributing the videos with their uploaded themes.  Circo has worked his ass off creating the EmuMovies collections and he gives people access to his FTP based on donations.  We do not want people freely distributing his work along with their themes in respect to Circo.  However, with this being said Circo at EmuMovies will be hosting the converted video files for HyperSpin on the FTP and also his torrents. 

Ironically enough, one of the reason I registered with emumovies.com was because circo was giving away his work for free.  I might have thought twice if he were to give access a la carte per membership fee.

I am not quite sure what you mean about this.  Nothing is a la carte???  I mean DVD's to a certain extent but all but nintendo vids are in torrents.  Granted the FTP is much more quickly updated but hey thats why its there :)

Cant tell if your statement is positive or negative.
My Websites

billpa

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2017, 11:25:31 pm
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 09:29:15 pm »
I was hoping to see "genre" themes... or at least "company" themes.  This looks great,  but with the limited number of themes I doubt it will find a home on my cab for a long time.

I think there will be some improvements that will balance out the lack of MAME themes. I have been toying around with a genre set of themes. However, I am waiting to see if text will be introduced to the wheel design. That would be a nice generic solution until the themes catch up.

[quote author=headkaze link=topic=83055.msg869041#msg869041 date=1218392903
I noticed alot of the really nice themes are done in Flash and overlayed as an .swf file. This would take a long time to do all the themes of this quality. So I can see why there needs to be alot of theme creators. I wonder if we can clone Billpa? His work is amazing  :cheers:
[/quote]

Yea they do take some time. Thanks for the compliment!

retrometro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2008, 08:25:29 pm »

Ironically enough, one of the reason I registered with emumovies.com was because circo was giving away his work for free.  I might have thought twice if he were to give access a la carte per membership fee.

I am not quite sure what you mean about this.  Nothing is a la carte???  I mean DVD's to a certain extent but all but nintendo vids are in torrents.  Granted the FTP is much more quickly updated but hey thats why its there :)

Cant tell if your statement is positive or negative.

I mean that if you didn't allow access and only charged for any sort of access.  It would have made folks like me not donate.  But since you were giving it away already, it compels those that use your collection to donate.

-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 01:18:07 pm »
Just an FYI for anyone that wants to try this FE - it appears there's a bug in it that if you're using an Athlon XP processor or a P3 it won't work.  The buzz is it's because it requires the use of SSE2, and these processors don't use it.

gonzo90017

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2019, 02:41:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2008, 03:58:09 pm »
You can add Amd Semprons to the list.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2008, 12:58:36 am »
Just an FYI for anyone that wants to try this FE - it appears there's a bug in it that if you're using an Athlon XP processor or a P3 it won't work.  The buzz is it's because it requires the use of SSE2, and these processors don't use it.

It works on both my AMD Phenom Quad core and my AMD Athlon X2 4200+ systems.  On another note, I also tried it on my P4 1.4 ghz machine and it ran rather slow.  So why would you want to run it on anything less anyway?
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2008, 03:57:59 pm »

It works on both my AMD Phenom Quad core and my AMD Athlon X2 4200+ systems.  On another note, I also tried it on my P4 1.4 ghz machine and it ran rather slow.  So why would you want to run it on anything less anyway?

Because it's what I've got?  Because older hardware is less expensive?

I had lots of hope for this FE, but all in all, it's a fancy flash player that launches apps.  If it can't play flash across platforms, that just sucks.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2008, 05:46:03 pm »
Sorry to hear that.  But it did look rather "flashy" in the demo preview movies we've all seen.  One could assume pretty much by watching the videos that it would not run well on older machines.

On a brighter note, my arcade comp cost under $200 including shipping from Tigerdirect.com which included an AMD X2 4200+, 2GB of ram and a 160GB hard drive.  It also included the case and 500w power supply.  Has been running great ever since, and that was about 8 months ago.  It will probably be even cheaper now.

You would just have to decide if this new FE is worth the upgrade or not.  But keep in mind, by upgrading you would also gain other benefits besides just being able to run this front end.

Last but not least, the software is still in beta, which is a good thing, so that they can iron out the majority of the bugs.  Perhaps this issue will be ironed out in future releases?  But so far, I think they are steering in the right direction.  Also keep in mind that this software is FREE which means the authors are not doing it for profit.  So let's not be to harsh on them.
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2008, 08:45:29 pm »
This is the Internet.  I can be as harsh as I want.  :D

I'm sure they'll iron this out.  I was just disappointed that after all the hype I couldn't run it right away.

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2008, 03:41:56 am »
Don't believe the Hype!   ;)

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 06:26:47 am »
I haven't tested this yet, but would do that sooner or later when I have time.

ETC I have never really liked Flash, due it too CPU intuitive and slow at hell, so it require a very fast machines, and it is not cheap at all (it was very high priced). It might been a lots better on its newest versions, but I dedicated to go java instead flash due with that reason when I wanted to create some webgames.

But still kodus to have this eye catch FE  :D :D.... and this is still a beta, so of course there is still some major/minor bugs in.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 06:38:16 am »
I haven't tested this yet, but would do that sooner or later when I have time.

ETC I have never really liked Flash, due it too CPU intuitive and slow at hell, so it require a very fast machines, and it is not cheap at all (it was very high priced). It might been a lots better on its newest versions, but I dedicated to go java instead flash due with that reason when I wanted to create some webgames.

But still kodus to have this eye catch FE  :D :D.... and this is still a beta, so of course there is still some major/minor bugs in.

Yes you obviously haven't checked out ActionScript 3 or Flex. Flash is now very fast! HyperSpin would not have been possible in Flash 8/AS 2. Since Adobe have taken over from Macromedia it's now a serious platform and alot of software is being developed for it including desktop applications through Flex as well as on the web through Flash CS3. If you take a look at some Flash games written in AS3 you will notice the performance is on par with Java now. I also believe ActionScript 3 is now a serious OO language and certainly worth another look for those who have been disappointed with it's performance in the past.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:41:13 am by headkaze »

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2008, 07:10:02 am »
I still wonder why Flash needs such of power to do simple 2d animation.  there is a waste of CPU ressource somewhere in the stack...

I was developping with Action Script , years ago (in 1993) , it was not yet called "Flash", the multimedia tool was simply called "Action" .  I made a kind of video clip for a advertising company.  At that time it was very fast. and i used a 486DX2 66Mhz as development machine. And all that i saw in hyperspin skins for now i think was already doable (may be not rotation , i'm not sure about that). Of course at that time i was working in 640x480  ,the amount of data to manipulated was not so huge. But it does not justify the ressource needed by today's application.

HS Skins are very simple :  one video or one image has background , 2 to 5 images that translate (optionnaly with rotation and zooming) to take their final position.  And a wheel that display a dozen of images.  Take what ever 2D Video game you want  since the 90's , they use the same kind of graphics and  they are able to display that on very lower machine...

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2008, 07:43:47 am »
I do still see some nasty ads take the whole 100% power on my 3200+ processor with no reason (but I guess it its antialasing, which is slow in Flash). so it not bug free, but elsewice if used correctly, it can been a good platform today (if you looked on my webgame, all is coded in java, but the sound is all Flash).

But otherwice I agree with headkaze since I known a another develpler also say ActionScript 3 is LOTS better than 2.

This FE should and guess take advance of it.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2008, 09:03:31 am »
I still wonder why Flash needs such of power to do simple 2d animation.  there is a waste of CPU ressource somewhere in the stack...

For a start Flex is not using 3d accelleration to render it's graphics. Also it's much slower to render vector graphics than it is to render textured quads in a 3d engine. I'd like to see you try and render a HS theme using DirectDraw including rotation on all 3 axis and png alpha channel support at the same speed. Your video of AtomicFE running "HyperSpin style" theme clearly can't pull it off at a decent framerate.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:11:13 am by headkaze »

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2008, 09:49:33 am »
I'd like to see you try and render a HS theme using DirectDraw including rotation on all 3 axis and png alpha channel support at the same speed.

You should see that soon... but you are right , not at the same speed ...  Faster !!   ;D

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2008, 10:09:49 am »
You should see that soon... but you are right , not at the same speed ...  Faster !!   ;D

Yeah yeah videos or it didn't happen! While were waiting you can watch ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:14:05 am by headkaze »

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2008, 10:31:22 am »
Where is yours?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2008, 10:38:24 am »
Where is yours?

"Coming soon" like yours, but I do have a video at least  ;D

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2008, 11:01:43 am »
Do you remember that you said Video Reflection with alpha channel was impossible with directdraw ? or something like that.   ??

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=62924.msg626797#msg626797

I said i can do that , and i proved it less than one week after :

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=63240.0

You know headkaze what seems impossible for you it is not necesseraly for others!  ;D

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2008, 11:18:11 am »
Do you remember that you said Video Reflection with alpha channel was impossible with directdraw ? or something like that.   ??

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=62924.msg626797#msg626797

I said i can do that , and i proved it less than one week after :

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=63240.0

You know headkaze what seems impossible for you it is not necesseraly for others!  ;D

I never said you couldn't do it. In fact I gave Tom source code to do alpha faded reflections in DirectDraw for GameEx back when that thread was made too but he never used it ;) You can do anything in software, but my problem has always been with speed. If you have to "fake" alpha channel using tricks then thats fine as long as it's fast. You did a good job considering your using DirectDraw (I don't doubt your skills as a coder)

I think you can do it, but I would like to see you do it faster than HyperSpin since your saying it's slow. If you think it's slow then do it faster in a 2D API like DirectDraw. Your current video does not demonstrate rotation on all axis with alpha channel. I hope you can do it, because I would like to see it :)

BTW Youki we should probably stop hijacking this thread now ;)

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2008, 11:23:51 am »
BTW Youki we should probably stop hijacking this thread now

No pb.  We stop.   Sorry  :cheers:

scrapple

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2013, 12:38:38 pm
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2008, 01:09:22 pm »

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 04:54:36 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2008, 09:31:41 am »
I guess no one is seeding Hyperspin. It's been a couple of days now and it's still 0%    :P

I wanted to try it out. I only got Hypertheme and been playing witht that one in the meantime  :applaud:
Is there anyway MNG could be used or save theme in MNG ?

I'm am thinking about using it with Advmenu.
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

billpa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2008, 12:00:15 pm »
Thats weird. Because my torrent client is telling me there are 9 seeders. I just hopped on right now and I am uploading around 150 MB per second. Try again and let me know if its still not working for you.

EVEGames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2018, 05:14:39 pm
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2008, 10:54:23 pm »
Thenasty, don't forget your good old friend Usenet.  The complete Hyperspin release is available at alt.binaries.emulators.
I'll take the Newsgroups over peer-to-peer networks any day of the week.
And twice on Sunday.  8)

Diewrecked

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2012, 07:34:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2008, 06:58:48 am »
Thenasty, don't forget your good old friend Usenet.  The complete Hyperspin release is available at alt.binaries.emulators.
I'll take the Newsgroups over peer-to-peer networks any day of the week.
And twice on Sunday.  8)

Seconded. I got the entire 600Mb download down in about six minutes :)

Dazz - VEEERRY nice. The only issue I have at this stage is the limited number of themes (I'm only using MAME and have about 120 games I want available). Once this is addressed I think I might rethink my FE....

Congrats on a wicked top notch job, HS devs. You should feel suitably proud. Worked first time, straight out of the box. Nice one  :cheers:

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2008, 09:31:00 am »
Just to clarify... BadBoyBill is the developer of HyperSpin.  I am just a pawn.  I did the upload to Newsgroups, but if you are looking for more themes then definitely come check out the HyperSpin site.  Many new themes are being created by the community on a daily basis.  I think 50 new themes have been added since the torrent and newsgroups were uploaded.

EVEGames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2018, 05:14:39 pm
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2008, 10:34:45 am »
And now that HyperTheme has been released, the themes are going to really start rolling in.  I'm going to take my first shot at a theme this weekend.  Maybe I'll tackle CubeQuest  :laugh:

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2008, 10:42:46 am »
(A) Is there a system in place where people can make theme requests?  I'd love to see a World Class Bowling/Deluxe theme.

(B) Will the new themes be packaged up and offered as a "theme pack" at any time?
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Thenasty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 04:54:36 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2008, 10:55:32 am »
Dazz, i tried it again and now getting 2 seeders   :cheers:.   I woke this morning and got the entire 1GB. ;D

I agree with A.B.E. I casually hang out there and A.B.E.M.

I going to try HS tonight.

Thnx...
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

billpa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2008, 03:41:33 pm »
(A) Is there a system in place where people can make theme requests?  I'd love to see a World Class Bowling/Deluxe theme.

(B) Will the new themes be packaged up and offered as a "theme pack" at any time?

Theme requests can be made in this thread

I am actually workin gon a WCB theme...but its the first game. I cannot find any artwork for Tournament or Deluxe. I think the art is identical except for the addition of those words so I might just mock something up and do the whole set.

I can not give out a definite answer of another theme pack but that was kind of BBBs idea from the beginning. Once we reach a certain number of new themes, we will zip them up and distribute it via torrent and a newsgroup which Dazz set up.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2008, 12:22:42 am »
Has the AMD isue been resolved yet? My Mame cab is running a Sempron 3300. I would like to check it out, but if that bug hasn't been squashed, I won't bother...

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2008, 04:16:41 am »
I think it is a not only a AMD bug ,  that is something with CPU that does not support SSE2  or something like that.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2008, 08:29:55 am »
Yes the issue is still around and is because of the CPU's not supporting SSE2 instructions.  We don't know if this is ever going to be something that can be gotten around as this is something within the ActionScript3 language itself and not the actual programming of HyperSpin.   

With this being said, from the very beginning we stated that HyperSpin would require higher specs than most other front ends.

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2008, 10:07:10 am »
Just a question,  Does HyperTheme have the same problem?

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2008, 10:11:17 am »
Just a question,  Does HyperTheme have the same problem?

I don't think it does, but I have not tested it on my non SS2 computer.

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2008, 10:25:16 am »
It does not use ActionScript 3?

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2008, 10:49:27 am »
It does not use ActionScript 3?

I don't know... I'm not the one programming it.