Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: *** UPDATE *** HyperSpin 0.8.0.1 - HyperHQ - 0.5.0.3  (Read 54740 times)

Dazz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 06:43:53 pm
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
*** UPDATE *** HyperSpin 0.8.0.1 - HyperHQ - 0.5.0.3
« on: August 06, 2008, 10:27:57 am »

HyperSpin is an animated arcade frontend for Windows for use on Home Arcade Machines. HyperSpin allows you to create custom menu systems to run most executables with that arcade look and feel. HyperSpin takes a more artwork oriented approach to creating menu's. With this tool you should be able to make interesting menu's for your games, movies etc..

HyperSpin will be a very easy to setup and operate system so that even the novice of users may have a great looking front end. Using the HyperHQ configuration application, and our customized theme creation application HyperTheme, users will be able to quickly and easily get started using HyperSpin..

Please take a look at the features page to see if HyperSpin is right for you.

Official Site and Support:
http://hyperspin-fe.com/

Previews (screenshots):
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/index.php?pageid=previews

Example game theme:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_0gMhdnvVA[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 10:29:57 pm by Dazz »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
Re: New front end - HyperSpin - Open Beta Released
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:38:13 am »
That better :D.

I do think you missed some links and screenshots (even they are on other thread, but this is now the official thread....

Good luck to future improvement this FE  :D and congra to authors of a eyecatching FE  :D.

Lol. Its long time I used a new groups since.

NB. I have reported to admin about the other thread to get locked, and instead use this really nice thread.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:11:29 pm by Space Fractal »
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

rlehm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2010, 09:04:25 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 01:07:49 pm »
Hyperspin team,

Thanks for the hard work. Getting this up and running must have been an amazing amount of work. I'm not sure why the community get mad about your posts at times when clearly you are doing more for this community than 99% of us. A big thank you from me. I hope more people will thank you as well.

Ego-X

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2008, 03:18:27 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 01:47:58 pm »
Downloading from A.B.E now, Thx for posting Dazz!

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 03:20:28 pm »
Thanks to all the Hyperspin team for working on this!  :applaud:

Ill be sure to check it out very soon.  :cheers:

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:34:31 pm »
So far I'm not impressed.  I wanted to be - really, REALLY wanted to be.  But it won't even run on my system.  It just sits there.  If I open it again while it's still running I get a black screen.  That's it.

The "HyperHQ" thing also doesn't seem to store the settings you put into it.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 04:38:39 pm »
So far I'm not impressed.  I wanted to be - really, REALLY wanted to be.  But it won't even run on my system.  It just sits there.  If I open it again while it's still running I get a black screen.  That's it.

Come over to our forms and we can help get you up and running.  The blank screen tells me that you don't have something setup correctly. 

Also, HQ isn't complete yet and is a work in progress.  For now you will need to manually edit the database and settings files.

billpa

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2017, 11:25:31 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 04:54:46 pm »
Hey Peale

Definitely drop by the HS forum and post over there. Black screen could mean a couple of things and I am sure we can figure out the problem.

GameDork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2011, 07:56:45 pm
  • I installed a DDR Pad on Tom Cruise!!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 05:47:18 pm »
Is it possible to use HyperSpin with older versions of MAME? i.e. V0.84?
Donkey Kong Hi Scores:

1) 169,600
2) 164,300
3) 134,000
4)116,800
5) LOL!

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 05:52:14 pm »
I'm wondering if Peale is using one of his OLD systems that has an ATI 8mb Rage in it......
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 05:53:06 pm »

It's beta so perhaps you should reserve judgement until you actually get it running first? Even with months of private beta testing you simply can't test every system configuration you may encounter in a public release.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 06:01:57 pm »

It's beta so perhaps you should reserve judgement until you actually get it running first? Even with months of private beta testing you simply can't test every system configuration you may encounter in a public release.

I don't have a final judgement yet, of course.  But with all the documentation pretty much saying "download and run" that's what I was expecting.  Maybe not getting the emulators running yet, but getting *something* on screen...that's what I would have expected.

I'm wondering if Peale is using one of his OLD systems that has an ATI 8mb Rage in it......

No, using my desktop just to mess around with it.  And according to the forums, I'm not the only person having this issue, so I feel a bit better - it's not just me.

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 07:02:03 pm »

But with all the documentation pretty much saying "download and run" that's what I was expecting

HyperSpin - Believe the Hype.   :laugh2:

;D

Agree with Headkaze , it is beta , so there is always things to fix anyway.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 07:15:28 pm »
While we have tried to test with many different computer configs, it is virtually impossible to test with all configs. 

The downloads should work correctly "out of the box", so if anyone is having an issue than it is probably a config that we were unable to test.  Right now we have a couple things that we are looking into that could be causing this issue...

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 07:23:08 pm »
I was looking at some of the HS databases and some of them have been ripped from GameEx. I don't remember anyone asking me permission to use them since I helped write the software to scrape the data. I'm not overly bothered but you would think it would be common courtesy to ask first  :dunno

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 07:41:44 pm »
Quote from: dazz
Ok, you guys really don't need to be ---uvulas--- all the time do you?  Doing a quick search on BYOAC for various front end names you get the following:
HyperSpin: less than 1 page
AtomicFe: 15 pages
Mala: 25 pages - it has its own freaking forum!
Mamewah: 25 pages
Khameleon: 1 page
You guys are mods here on BYOAC nor are you forum police.  You have no rights telling people what kind of threads to make.  You are not forced to read a specific thread and no one is going to force you to.  If you see a thread that you don't want to read or look at then simply IGNORE it and it will eventually move off the first page.  Your idiotic responses only BUMP a thread UP, and the more you respond to a thread that you don't like the more attention the thread will get.

Learn how a forum works you "NewB".]

Ok I felt the need to respond to your public post in the other thread (that is now locked).
I'm a bit pissed that you would make a statement like that then have the thread locked?  :(   So I have no choice but to post here.

Well done on your new FE.  ;D    :applaud: I have not slammed it in any way so why so hostile about MaLa ??? 

Yes, MaLa is in it's own 'Freaking forum'. I spent hours moving 99% of all the mala threads into it from this software section. One by one.

So why lash out?  ???  Maybe I am taking it the wrong way but the Forum was offered here by Saint so what is the problem?  ???

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:44:52 pm by loadman »

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 07:49:46 pm »
I was looking at some of the HS databases and some of them have been ripped from GameEx. I don't remember anyone asking me permission to use them since I helped write the software to scrape the data. I'm not overly bothered but you would think it would be common courtesy to ask first  :dunno
Where exactly in the GameEx folder are these databases that you speak of?  Are these contained in the .mdb files?

Edit: Nevermind, I just installed Axcess and I see the data.  I can guarantee that the HS databases were not ripped from GameEx, most of them were created by hand.  If they were ripped from GameEx then we would have taken way more info than what we have been working from.  Your databases have info that we were talking about implementing but could not find the necessary information posted.  We did not know that your files contained this info especially with consoles... Your database files are an excellent source of info, especially for console genres!

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 07:53:18 pm »
Ok, you guys really don't need to be ---uvulas--- all the time do you?  Doing a quick search on BYOAC for various front end names you get the following:
You guys are mods here on BYOAC nor are you forum police.  You have no rights telling people what kind of threads to make.  You are not forced to read a specific thread and no one is going to force you to.  If you see a thread that you don't want to read or look at then simply IGNORE it and it will eventually move off the first page.  Your idiotic responses only BUMP a thread UP, and the more you respond to a thread that you don't like the more attention the thread will get.

Ok I felt the need to respond to your public post in the other thread (that is now locked).
I'm a bit pissed that you would make a statement like that then have the thread locked?  :(   So I have no choice but to post here.

Well done on your new FE.  ;D    :applaud: I have not slammed it in any way so why so hostile about MaLa ??? 

Yes, MaLa is in it's own 'Freaking forum'. I spent hours moving 99% of all the mala threads into it from this software section. One by one.

So why lash out?  ???  Maybe I am taking it the wrong way but the Forum was offered here by Saint so what is the problem?  ???

Sorry, but you took that post completely out of context...  I think Mala, out of any FE's out there, deserves it's own forum here.  It is very widely used and a great front end.  I was just merely pointing out the number of threads that specific frontends were mentioned in...  My post was definitely not a stab at Mala in any way.  The thread was closed because it wasn't the official release announcement and the thread title wasn't necessary.

BadBoyBill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2010, 06:34:53 pm
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 07:54:09 pm »

You can rest assured Headkaze that none of the databases used in HyperSpin were taken from anything you made.  I made those by hand as I downloaded each individual boxart by hand when collecting the data.  I with my own mouse did a copy and paste via either GameFAQ's or if there was no info which was rare from Mobi.  I did it this way to ensure each and every single game in our system has its own genre and manufacturer.  I didnt even scrape the data to ensure that it was fully complete.  So there was no common courtesy needed to ask you for anything.  Sorry if you think that it came from your stuff.  I take pride in providing full complete databases and dont want anything to do with using anything anyone else made for their own FE's in a matter which I do not recieve permission.

Loadman: Not sure where all that came from, but I personally have no issue with your or your FE and think its a great project.  There might have been some animosity about people being mad about HS threads, and smack talking.  I try not to take part in those conversations, but people have even personally said things to me about HS threads and I think I only made one thread about it and dont bump other threads at all relating to it yet theres still people saying things to me anyways. 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:56:21 pm by BadBoyBill »

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 08:21:34 pm »
Looking through the databases the data looked the same to me but if you say you collected it by hand then I believe you. Must have been the fact you used Moby that made it look the same.

Anyway just got a look at HS finally and must say I'm very impressed! I love the transitions and effects you've got going. Something that I've been working on in Razor as well but certainly don't have as many different styles just yet. Very time consuming just getting the Flash style graphics engine written from scratch so I hope to work on some of that fun stuff later down the track.

Also kudos to all the theme creators, they look really professional and well made. What can I say, it's the greatest animated FE by leaps and bounds! Makes me wonder if Razor is worth finishing now  :'( Anyway great stuff!

BTW Can I just suggest that you run in fullscreen at the desktop resolution by default. When I ran it on my dual monitor setup it was in a window in the middle of the two screens. Didn't take me long to find the settings to switch to full screen though. You really got that graphics caching working well too, something I've been having a few issues with in Direct3D.

Here's to the future success of HyperSpin; now I can finally believe the Hype! :cheers:

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 08:25:09 pm »

Sorry, but you took that post completely out of context...  I think Mala, out of any FE's out there, deserves it's own forum here.  It is very widely used and a great front end.  I was just merely pointing out the number of threads that specific frontends were mentioned in...  My post was definitely not a stab at Mala in any way.  The thread was closed because it wasn't the official release announcement and the thread title wasn't necessary.

Sorry,  :-[   Thanks for clarifying.    ;)   

As you were.  :)   

This FE looks pretty 'sexy'  ;D

boogieman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2019, 05:35:48 pm
  • advancedspuds.com
    • advancedspuds - your source for spudgun information
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 09:34:19 pm »
Oh my lol 14 hrs!  Yikes please seed!  I am really exited about this, been wanting to try it for a LOOOONNGG time!

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 10:14:29 pm »
Oh my lol 14 hrs!  Yikes please seed!  I am really exited about this, been wanting to try it for a LOOOONNGG time!
If you have newsgroup access you can get from alt.binaries.emulators as well.

mcfreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 01:55:04 pm
  • Asteroids moving along...
    • Hobby Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 10:38:46 pm »
Works great on my system and looks great too.  I loved the TG-16 theme, really brought back memories.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 12:53:59 am »
Guys, please stop the pissing match in this thread....  We don't really care who created what application to create the databases as HyperSpin has not used them in the first place. 

I looked over the databases and they look like a great resource for the emulation communities.  Several applications could benefit from these databases.  It is obvious that people have put a good amount of time into creating these and there is no possible way that a single person took on such of a task.  It is evident that each of you put in equal time of their share into such a project.  We really don't need the public bickering and whining as you both are showing not so good sides to the community right now...

Hollywood

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2009, 08:18:27 pm
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 01:27:21 am »
I love it!

This is a fantastic frontend.  It will definately be my frontend of choice and I have tried them all

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 01:30:15 am »
Ok, enough... I really don't care.  I just find it silly that we have access to these wonderful databases that was obviously not created by a single one person.  However, the parties involved with the creation cannot get along well enough to let the community freely use these wonderful files for their own projects.

Honestly, I've had enough bickering between FE creators, database creators and just about everyone on these forums.  We all have a dedication to this hobby or else we wouldn't be here in the first place... Why can't we all just get along for the better of the community?

Trebeck

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 11:01:21 am
  • "The Arcade" - Build #4
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 01:45:21 am »
Getting back to the thread......
This looks amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on it.  Great job ya'll!

:notworthy:

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 04:35:53 am »
this thread is about the Hyperspin release. We WILL keep this discussion on topic. Airing of dirty laundry from other sources will not be tolerated and treated as thread crapping. All parties will cease that are involved and consider this your warning. Please carry on in a civilized manner pertaining to the release.

edit: admin cleanup

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 03:50:39 pm »
The little downside is you need to registered to download the torrent.... Not all would do that to trying a application.

I Different try this out, even the sound might disrupt to much, since my machine is not in a gameroom or such. But that is not deficient a HyperSpin fault at all!!!

good work and good theme idea is all I can say.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

tspeirs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2020, 07:44:52 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »
Just wanted to chip and say congratulations on a very significant first Beta. Incredibly impressive.

Job well done to all.

It ran perfectly first time on my system, and only took a couple of seconds for me to configure for a hi def full screen res and MAME only.

EDIT: Posted this before reading the thread, and I missed all what seems to have gone on.  :cheers:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 07:08:27 pm by tspeirs »

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 07:11:42 pm »
Why will future themes not be allowed to contain video?

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 07:20:46 pm »

Themes can/will contain video, but we don't want people distributing the videos with their uploaded themes.  Circo has worked his ass off creating the EmuMovies collections and he gives people access to his FTP based on donations.  We do not want people freely distributing his work along with their themes in respect to Circo.  However, with this being said Circo at EmuMovies will be hosting the converted video files for HyperSpin on the FTP and also his torrents. 

retrometro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 10:10:25 pm »

Themes can/will contain video, but we don't want people distributing the videos with their uploaded themes.  Circo has worked his ass off creating the EmuMovies collections and he gives people access to his FTP based on donations.  We do not want people freely distributing his work along with their themes in respect to Circo.  However, with this being said Circo at EmuMovies will be hosting the converted video files for HyperSpin on the FTP and also his torrents. 

Ironically enough, one of the reason I registered with emumovies.com was because circo was giving away his work for free.  I might have thought twice if he were to give access a la carte per membership fee.

Speaking of giving it away, I'm torrenting HS now.  Can't wait to see how it runs!  Any plans for Sega console themes yet? 

-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 10:41:07 pm »
Can't seem to crack that ultra complex 'image verification' upon registration so I'm guessing I won't be able to ever figure the actual software!  :D

Oh well, looks like fun...
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

billpa

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2017, 11:25:31 pm
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 09:18:53 am »
you mean the captcha? just hit the button with the circular arrrows to load a new captcha until there is one you can read.

releasedtruth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2018, 12:06:49 am
  • Projected Nexus
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 11:19:28 am »
Had a chance to play with it a little bit last night. All the game intros are very nicely done, impressive. I'm looking forward to getting it set up as an alternative FE on the machine. I'm guessing future releases will add more game screens, anything else? I don't even use the vast majority of the systems listed.... but it makes me want to now.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 12:30:15 pm »
Had a chance to play with it a little bit last night. All the game intros are very nicely done, impressive. I'm looking forward to getting it set up as an alternative FE on the machine. I'm guessing future releases will add more game screens, anything else? I don't even use the vast majority of the systems listed.... but it makes me want to now.

Future releases are going to be bug fixes and new functionality....  Themes are completely different than the front end.  On the HS forums we will have an area where people can upload and download individual themes.  The theming community will be big and we are hoping to get a lot of people interested in creating graphics and themes.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 02:19:34 pm »
I was hoping to see "genre" themes... or at least "company" themes.  This looks great,  but with the limited number of themes I doubt it will find a home on my cab for a long time.
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 02:28:23 pm »
I was hoping to see "genre" themes... or at least "company" themes.  This looks great,  but with the limited number of themes I doubt it will find a home on my cab for a long time.

I noticed alot of the really nice themes are done in Flash and overlayed as an .swf file. This would take a long time to do all the themes of this quality. So I can see why there needs to be alot of theme creators. I wonder if we can clone Billpa? His work is amazing  :cheers: