Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: U360's and a flight stick???  (Read 1644 times)

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
U360's and a flight stick???
« on: September 16, 2008, 10:40:48 pm »
Ok I'm making a new cp for my cab. My original only had 3 buttons per player and I want to increase that to 6 each. I also have a 4-way wired inline with the P1 joystick. While I was at it I figured I might as well upgrade my joysticks to U360's.

I currently have the joysticks and buttons hooked up to an Ipac2. The U360's have a built in 8 button interface. My question is with the new joysticks how do I hook up the 4-way inline with the P1 U360? Is this possible?

If it's not possible how do I use the 4-way flight stick for player 1 for Tron and other games?

Encryptor

cadmium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 12:51:56 pm
Re: U360's and a flight stick???
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 02:06:37 pm »
I'm not sure I entirely understand what you are trying to do. Are you wanting to wire the 4-way through the u360 as ? If so it should be fine, you just need the wiring harness, or make one of your own.

The u360 will show up in windows as a game controller and the 4-way will be buttons on that controller. You could either map those button presses in Mame, etc or another emulator or possibly use joy2key to map them how you want (I've never done this myself, but I think that's how it works).

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 02:44:36 pm »
I would just hook the 4-way and flight stick to the ipac 2 you already have.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 03:57:24 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure I entirely understand what you are trying to do. Are you wanting to wire the 4-way through the u360 as ? If so it should be fine, you just need the wiring harness, or make one of your own.

The u360 will show up in windows as a game controller and the 4-way will be buttons on that controller. You could either map those button presses in Mame, etc or another emulator or possibly use joy2key to map them how you want (I've never done this myself, but I think that's how it works).

The way I have it wired now is the P1 joystick and the 4-way are wired inline so either can be used for P1. If I want to play pacman or ms pacman that work better with a 4-way I use the 4-way and for other games I use the normal P1 joystick.

The U360 has a built in usb interface so there is no wiring to run over to the 4-way joystick.

I would just hook the 4-way and flight stick to the ipac 2 you already have.

Will I still be able to map the 4-way as P1 that way or will there be a conflict between the usb U360 and the ipac? I'm not sure that's why I'm asking.

Encryptor

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 04:13:31 pm »
You should be able to do it in Mame somehow, but I have never had to do it personally. First guess would be through the separate game .ini files.

david656

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2017, 10:06:24 am
  • Big Man!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 05:21:55 pm »
i have 2 U360's and in the mame controls it shows up as 'Joy P1 Up' i think and you can just multi map it surley by hitting enter and pressing joystick up and then hitting enter again and doing the joystick up on the other joysticks

or at least thats how i would of thought you would do it  ;D  ???

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 05:51:11 pm »
Yes, MAME should allow you to set multiple inputs for one function.  For example, Hit tab and assign the UP movement to the 4-way up, then immediately set it again for the U360 up.  Two inputs should appear in the field.

So to make a long story short, you can attach the 4 way to the ipac2 (leave as is) and then just manually adjust the global settings for MAME (in the tab menu to add the u360s).  You will also have to re-add the 4-way, as described above for them to both appear.

~ D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 06:19:21 pm »
Sweet!  :applaud:

Thanks for the help guys!  :cheers:

Encryptor