Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: F.E.A.R. PC version  (Read 5020 times)

Cakemeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 10:15:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
F.E.A.R. PC version
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:55:26 am »
Hello,

I did not purchase this game back when it came out at 2005. When I was at Best Buy last week I saw this game in a "bonus package", the game and two expansion packs, for $19.99. So I got it.

If you have modern hardware on your PC you should not have a problem installing or running the game. My PC is okay but not great, Core 2 Duo E6300+Radeon 1950+1.5 gigabytes of RAM. The game has a benchmarking utility which recommends settings for you. I just used the medium settings and set the resolution to 1280x1024, which is the native resolution of my monitor.

I haven't gotten through the whole game yet, so this review is based on the first few levels. The AI of the bad guys is okay, I suppose, but not great. A real squad of marines would not come through a door one at a time, especially when they see a stack of their dead buddies in the doorway. But IMO most FPS games suffer from this.

I'm writing this review in the first place because of the creepy atmosphere of the game. The sound, cutscenes, and the dark environment keep me in a low-grade sense of panic. I have played a lot of FPS games but none is spine-tingling scary like this one is. Bioshock was pretty creepy, too, but not like FEAR.

Perhaps the manufacturers of uniforms should band together and make better flashlights. :)

IMO the graphics have held up well and it's the story and gameplay that's important anyway rather than eye candy, right?

If you don't have this game, then the $20 is a real bargain to get the game and two expansions.

Regards,
CM
Old, but not obsolete.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: F.E.A.R. PC version
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:03:42 am »
I have this on the 360; I agree with you on the creepy factor.  Not many games give me the chills like this one has...   8)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 04:30:42 pm »
A real squad of marines would not come through a door one at a time, especially when they see a stack of their dead buddies in the doorway.

Um, why do you say this?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 04:36:58 pm »
Common sense?

Don't you think they would be pumping suppressing fire and grenades in there? Do you think they would ignore you just because they can't see you?

If I was programming the AI, I sure would have at least put in the covering fire.

Old, but not obsolete.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:14:16 pm »
Mmm, I see. Given your vague description, I was thinking basic urban combat tactics when moving through a building relative to emotional outbursts.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:40:16 am »
I'm sorry you haven't had a good week. I truly hope your situation improves.

Take care, my friend.
Old, but not obsolete.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 04:39:33 pm »
Hahahhahahahah. No you silly. More specifically, the characters in the game peforming such tactics and exhibiting such behavior. Marine bearing dictates discipline in both areas.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:03:45 pm »
I snagged this recently and have been playing it for about an hour a night. My computer was a piece of crap when FEAR came out, the machine I have now runs it effortlessly with everything pegged (Intel 6850/Nvidia 8800GT).

Not sure how far in I am, but I'm just past the point where you fight the soldiers on the rooftop, then engage a different security force. I really like the soldier battles, but I'm finding the horror stuff kind of tacked on and cheesy. The creepy little kid thing is done to death, but I guess I should keep in mind that its a 3 year old game.

This is mostly a time-filler game for me, and will likely be abandoned when Crysis:Warhead and STALKER Clear Sky come out.