Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PC Games on my Arcade (video)  (Read 17590 times)

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
PC Games on my Arcade (video)
« on: August 03, 2008, 04:22:43 am »
Who says PC Games are not meant for an arcade?!? Of course they are. Here's a quick roundup of some games that I have installed on my arcade machine. Most are freeware, but some I purchased.

Enjoy!

~ DeLuSioNaL

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUNCK9GN11I[/youtube]
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

HairyDVD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2015, 06:58:50 pm
Re: PC Games on my Arcade (video)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 05:25:31 pm »
Watched your video and downloaded all the free games straight away - very informative and good to be able to see them being played .......

Thanks
Old Arcade intro videos on Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/HAIRYDVD

BORIStheBLADE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2012, 10:53:59 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 07:19:01 pm »
Nice vid. I'm going to look for Mugen, Megatron and that Raiden one too.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:09:20 pm »
It's called "Mechatron" and can be found here:  http://norrish.force9.co.uk/robotron/

If you watch the video on youtube itself, it will have tags in there showing URL and such.  I guess those don't work when it's embedded on BYOAC for some reason.

Try copying and pasting this link below to view it instead.  All the info is there.

Code: [Select]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUNCK9GN11I
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 06:43:53 pm
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 12:27:54 am »
Hey DeLuS. 

Thanks for this video.  Excellent game selection!

Would you happen to have your control panel plans available to share?  I like that layout with the dual 1/2 player joys for Robotron/Smash TV.  Looks like you have plenty of room on that panel.

Spaced Ace

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2010, 05:48:56 pm
  • "I'm surrounded by arcades!"
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:32:14 am »
Hey DeLuS. 

Would you happen to have your control panel plans available to share?  I like that layout with the dual 1/2 player joys for Robotron/Smash TV.  Looks like you have plenty of room on that panel.

:laugh2:  Nice plug man....

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 06:43:53 pm
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 10:43:00 am »
Hey DeLuS. 

:laugh2:  Nice plug man....
???  not sure what you mean by "plug".

This is the first video that I have seen that included his control panel...  His panel is very similar to mine, but I noticed that he uses a dedicated EXIT button when in Maximus.   DeLuS is a mod on the Maximus forums and he has been helping me troubleshoot exit issues that I have been having with Maximus.  I currently use shifted keys on my IPAC to exit and I am thinking that might be my issue with Maximus.  Seeing his panel just reminded me that I needed to re-do mine and I like the double player 1/2 joys.  Figured no harm could be done if I asked if he had the plans for his panel available...

Spaced Ace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2010, 05:48:56 pm
  • "I'm surrounded by arcades!"
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 11:39:45 am »
DeLuSioNal29. man I am having a hard time getting this thing to work, when it loads the charachters and the stage, it shuts off....

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 10:58:40 pm »
when it comes to mugen, you should try a bit torrent client who has an "all character" pack. Thus it will be set up for you, and you can just double click on the exe file and just play. Better than loading one character at a time.

Also Youtube has lots of tutorials on how to work mugen if you do not use a bittorrent client. Try that.

Delusional: Thanks for letting me know about Super Mario Wars, also the Tempest clone is just as addicting as the original. Thanks for the video.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Red

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2017, 08:37:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 02:16:38 am »
DeLuSioNaL,

Great video.

What are the specs on your Arcade setup?  Very nice.

Red

bent98

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 03:35:00 pm
  • Hyperspin Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 08:20:13 am »
I installed Super Mario Wars on my cabinet, One issue I have is when selecting each player before starting a level the default key mappings arent the same for any buttons I have mapped on my ipac. IS there a way to change those? Keep in mind I dont want to change my ipac config for this one game.

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 09:44:12 am »
very awesome video delusional! love your cab. I will definitely have to try some of these out..

Neil

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 10:43:28 pm »
DeLU:

Would you be so kind as to post a simple list with the names of the games you showed there?
Some of those look very interesting.

For Nintendo fans:
You might want to check out these two upcoming big 2D Metroid related projects:

The first one is an original adventure and the second one a remake of Metroid II apparently based on the graphical style of Metroid Fusion.
"The Manuel"

RoomTenONine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2008, 07:00:38 pm
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 11:01:52 am »
This is an awesome thread.  My only gripe is that the Metroid remakes aren't complete games yet. 

deadsoulz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2023, 02:24:28 pm
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 12:36:54 pm »
Maximus Arcade PC game support leaves much to be desired!

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 04:34:56 pm »

I tend to agree with this at the moment. I've been trying to get Luxor to run through MA and have been unsuccessful so far. I've tried it with a batch file several different ways and tried using a shortcut instead of the batch file with the same results. The game tries to start and with a flash on the screen it exits the game. I'm lost with this unfortunately.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 05:10:37 pm »
That 'dong dong dong' was a bit annoying. (I have no sounds for scrolling, blech.) And why do people almost always smack their buttons when doing videos?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

rlehm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2010, 09:04:25 pm
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 01:04:32 am »

I tend to agree with this at the moment. I've been trying to get Luxor to run through MA and have been unsuccessful so far. I've tried it with a batch file several different ways and tried using a shortcut instead of the batch file with the same results. The game tries to start and with a flash on the screen it exits the game. I'm lost with this unfortunately.

DESCRIPTION: BATCH FILES
Batch files are programs that allow MS-DOS and Windows users to create a file to perform long tasks fast. Such as opening certain programs ran frequently, deleting or managing files, etc. Simple batch files do not require any special programming skills. A prime example of a batch file for someone whom may know more about Windows would be relating a batch file to a shortcut in Windows. Batch files like shortcuts are a small file which is used to run frequently accessed programs. Detailed information about creating batch files can be read about here.
Creating a batch file is easy and only requires a text editor such as Notepad. Simply create a text file (.txt) and rename the extension to batch format (.bat). Below is an example of a batch file to open the PC game StarWars Battlefront. The most important lines are the last three. Those lines indicate the drive, executable path, and executable to open when the batch file is launched.
:: Runs Star Wars Battlefront
::
@ECHO OFF

D:
CD \Star Wars Battlefront\GameData
Battlefront.exe
The last three lines of information are also scanned by MA in an attempt to monitor which executable(s) was opened. This feature allows MA to quit all of the executables when prompted to do so when the user presses the PREVIOUS/QUIT EXECUTABLE key.

rlehm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 01:06:42 am »
Running the Japanese version of Gulty Gear Xreloaded is awesome. I set it up to play against others on the net. The Japanese players are BEYOND great.. b warned.

I have been playing PC games on my cab through MA for about a year. M.U.G.E.N is illegal for those who care about such things, so linking to it is about as bad as linking a rom. All the characters are basically stolen moves, sounds, images etc... The original MUGEN game creator never allowed it's continue, as it has been used without permission from what i remember. I could be wrong. I made MUGEN games about 8 months back it's fun, but mostly glitchy. I liked creating characters and naming them after my friends, of course overpowering the character named after me (which was Ryu who I gave a zillion sick moves to):P We had a blast.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:08:14 am by rlehm »

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 05:40:03 am »

DESCRIPTION: BATCH FILES
Batch files are programs that allow MS-DOS and Windows users to create a file to perform long tasks fast. Such as opening certain programs ran frequently, deleting or managing files, etc. Simple batch files do not require any special programming skills. A prime example of a batch file for someone whom may know more about Windows would be relating a batch file to a shortcut in Windows. Batch files like shortcuts are a small file which is used to run frequently accessed programs. Detailed information about creating batch files can be read about here.
Creating a batch file is easy and only requires a text editor such as Notepad. Simply create a text file (.txt) and rename the extension to batch format (.bat). Below is an example of a batch file to open the PC game StarWars Battlefront. The most important lines are the last three. Those lines indicate the drive, executable path, and executable to open when the batch file is launched.
:: Runs Star Wars Battlefront
::
@ECHO OFF

D:
CD \Star Wars Battlefront\GameData
Battlefront.exe
The last three lines of information are also scanned by MA in an attempt to monitor which executable(s) was opened. This feature allows MA to quit all of the executables when prompted to do so when the user presses the PREVIOUS/QUIT EXECUTABLE key.

And your point is???

rlehm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 01:38:08 pm »

And your point is???

I actually had your problem. The first thing was to use the information above. Then there are several things that you can try to get the batch files working. I was going to offer help, but your response tells me you don't want any. It's an easy fix by the way. Good luck.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 02:00:25 pm »

And your point is???

What a dick...
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 04:59:26 pm »

And your point is???

What a dick...
Encryptor is ok.  I think he just cut to the chase in his question.  He wasn't trying to be an ass.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »
If you read my first thread you would see that I tried the batch files several ways following that very documentation from the MA website including renaming them to .lnk files as suggested. I tried putting in different paths in the batch file as well as creating a shortcut to the .exe file and renaming it to an .lnk file. I got the same results or worse with every thing I tried. I went to the MA forums last night and found something else to try that Delusional posted there. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I didn't mean to sound like a dick but you just posted what I already read with nothing else added.

Ian - I wouldn't be so fast to call me a dick. I posted a link for Xlobby for YOU in another thread so you could try it.

Encryptor

javeryh

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:39 am
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 06:06:42 pm »

And your point is???

I actually had your problem. The first thing was to use the information above. Then there are several things that you can try to get the batch files working. I was going to offer help, but your response tells me you don't want any. It's an easy fix by the way. Good luck.

I'm guessing Encryptor already knows this information or it is obvious to him.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 11:39:16 am »
If they would have read my first post they would have seen that I tried that. I guess they are too busy gloating that they know something that someone else doesn't. All I can say is it's all on the wheel.

So the latest thing from the MA forums doesn't work any different than a batch file. I paid for MA but it looks like I've wasted my money. It would be so much easier if they built in the ability for the user to add PC games without using  :censored: batch files. I thought with the technology in XP and the current overly powerful programming languages we could get away from 70's technology.

Thanks to those that tried to provide some help.

Encryptor
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:40:50 am by Encryptor »

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 07:40:37 pm »
Here is another nice looking PC game.
This one is a re-make of Turrican.

There should be a sticky about PC game suggestions for cabs (I know there is a section on the Wiki).
"The Manuel"

EvilDindon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2014, 11:34:33 am
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 11:27:37 am »
Yeah I agree, Hurrican is very nice !!

It's a new generation graphics and old school arcade mixed game.

Must be installed on a cab.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 09:36:08 pm »

Ian - I wouldn't be so fast to call me a dick. I posted a link for Xlobby for YOU in another thread so you could try it.

Encryptor

I was only half serious...  ;D

extendedplayarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 11:14:26 pm
  • The Games You Crave
    • Extended Play Arcade
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 07:54:43 pm »
Great stuff.

Thanks for posting and sharing

Brent
www.extendedplayarcade.com

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2020, 02:54:00 am
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 09:11:25 am »
There should be a sticky about PC game suggestions for cabs (I know there is a section on the Wiki).

What is the link on that wiki... I have looked at the wiki, but can't seem to find the pc games on arcade section.

Keep the games ideas rolling!
Thanks! 

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 09:31:21 am »
Here's the Wiki.
Look at the "Cab friendly games" section.
The first two categories, "Arcade" and "Classic" Games, don't work but "Indie Games" contains a good sized list.

Just looking at it, I remembered I haven't downloaded the Marble Madness re-make...
"The Manuel"

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 01:15:22 pm »
I tried to download the Marble Madness remake and there is no download link.  :(

Encryptor

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 01:40:43 pm »
I haven't checked it out yet but search the web for "Marble Insanity" which appears to be the name of the application.
"The Manuel"

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 11:24:38 pm »
Ok thanks. I found it.

retrometro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 11:44:09 pm »
very very nice vid!    i didn't know about raiden 3!  i'll have to chk that out
-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:23:31 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 08:25:52 am »
This looks interesting too:

http://www.marble-arena.com/gallery.htm

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 09:19:51 am »
That is a very nice suggestion.
Too bad my computer seems like it won't be able to handle it but I'll still give it a try.

Thanks.
"The Manuel"

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2020, 02:54:00 am
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 10:30:16 pm »
That 'dong dong dong' was a bit annoying. (I have no sounds for scrolling, blech.)

Yeah, but thats easily changeable in Maximus Arcade... I had to change the dong, dong thing in MA too.  Really annoying default sound.

Blanka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 05:54:23 am »
Who says PC Games are not meant for an arcade?!?

PC games are not ment for Arcade! But the ones you show are PC-ed arcade games. That's why they will work a bit on an arcade.
Read this and understand why PC games are different than arcade games, and the ones you show are not real pc games:
http://insomnia.ac/commentary/arcade_culture/