Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MaLa Beta Testing Closed  (Read 27425 times)

monami

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2010, 07:35:16 am
Re: MaLa beta 1.664 Beta Testers wanted
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2010, 07:36:14 pm »
There's something more I'd like to ask. At the moment, the Info window size (Options>GUI>Info Window) gets a % value of the screen height, between 50% and 100%, in steps of 5%. Unfortunately, none of these values correspond to the exact size of the picture loaded using the layout editor.
Which Picture are we talking about? The Snap?
No, I'll try to clarify... I'm talking about the picture that you load as background for the Info Window (while in MalaLayout: right-click on Info Window>Load Picture). The problem is that the picture you load is displayed with actual size in MalaLayout (provided that the picture size fits exactly into the Info Window size - 396x396 if I'm not mistaken), but gets stretched in Mala because the Info Window size is not the same (In Mala Options>GUI>Info Window you only get to choose between the few preset height% values). Makes sense?

I've had some problems with 1.663 in Windows98SE, mostly with displaying png images - in both layouts and game snapshots. 1.05 and back work great. I haven't tried 1.664, will report when I do.
Can you post some problem png's so I can test?
Actually I couldn't see any png at all, ie. none of my mame snaps-marquees-etc. Same png's work fine with Mala 1.05. Also works in Windows XP.

Cheers :)

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: MaLa beta 1.663 Beta Testers wanted
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2010, 08:05:04 pm »
I use my red button (ctrl) for game info. I use my blue button (alt) for orientation switching. When i push it, male switches from horizontal lay-out to vertical lay-out. Now ir remembers the game it was on in the horizontal lay-out. So when press blue again it switches back to my horizontal lay-out, and goes to the game it has in memory. But by error it goes one game up, Like when i push the joystick up. (except i didn't.).

Bugger

Quit to windows.  So if I have Game 1 and Game 2 in my list and I quit MaLa to windows with Game 2 selected, the next time I launch MaLa Game 1 is selected.  Logically I expect Game 2 to still be selected.  Completely minor, and not a real issue.  I only mentioned it because it sounds like similar to the other issue reported.

Bugger

I can't recreate this????

I'm sorry that I gave you both the impression that I could. I am aware of a similar problem when you launch a game and when you quit the game it can jump up or down a game in the list.

But the reported issue of jumping up or down the list with orientation switch or mala start / stop I can't recreate.

I am going to need help from both of you to narrow down what is causing this.

I think I will start a new thread on this as it is unrelated to the BeTa I think

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=105224.0
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:06:44 pm by loadman »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2010, 07:04:49 pm »
Actually I couldn't see any png at all, ie. none of my mame snaps-marquees-etc. Same png's work fine with Mala 1.05. Also works in Windows XP.

Cheers :)

Can you please post one of these PNG's?

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2010, 02:57:36 am »
But it still doesn't find my MAME.INI (mame64 0.139)
Enter the menu with the right mouse button. Behind "Mame Executable" there are two buttons, click on the "Config" button. Then it says: Mame.ini not found, do you wish to create one.
When i click yes and exit, then click on config again it gives me the same message.
Yes, it bugs me, everything works like a charm, except this. it's just too bad.

Am I able to test this? I mean can you run mame64 on winxp 32?

Does this happen when you use the 32 bit version of command line mame?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:00:31 am by loadman »

Tazmania67

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2010, 09:25:55 am
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2010, 09:14:03 am »
But it still doesn't find my MAME.INI (mame64 0.139)
Enter the menu with the right mouse button. Behind "Mame Executable" there are two buttons, click on the "Config" button. Then it says: Mame.ini not found, do you wish to create one.
When i click yes and exit, then click on config again it gives me the same message.
Yes, it bugs me, everything works like a charm, except this. it's just too bad.

Am I able to test this? I mean can you run mame64 on winxp 32?

Does this happen when you use the 32 bit version of command line mame?

You need a 64bit OS to test this. I suspect that it has something to do with the name of the ini: 64bit commandline version uses mame.ini.
I will see what i can do.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2010, 09:01:44 pm »
You need a 64bit OS to test this. I suspect that it has something to do with the name of the ini: 64bit commandline version uses mame.ini.
I will see what i can do.

Well I may not have a 64 bit OS set up to test this but I can tell you what the MaLa code is trying to do so you can test this manually.

I think the problem is that MaLa is not failing to find the mame.ini but that the mame.ini is not being created ?

But what I have done (for the next version) is show an error if this happens. It helps a bit

- When you hit the Config button it checks to see if a mame.ini (or whatever the name of the mame is .ini)
- If it does not exist then it asks you if you wish to create one
- If you choose yes then it fires a command (using the code below) to mame to create one. I assume this is the part that is failing for you for some reason? I guess I need you to confirm what command to mame makes this work on your OS and mame version?

ie at a command prompt (found in start- accessories) type something like 'mame - createconfig'. As that is effectiveley what MaLa is doing. If that does not work you need to do some home work with the mame folk on what command is required to create a mame.ini file with your OS? XP64? and mame64?

Anyway let me know how you go

Code: [Select]
    // create a standard ini file
     dir := ExtractFilePath(AMameExecutable);
     exe := ExtractFileName(AMameExecutable);
     param := '-createconfig';

SetCurrentDir(dir);
     case Win32Platform of
       0,1: RunProcess('command.com /c ' + exe + ' ' + param, True, frmMain.FMameWindowState); //Win9x
         2: RunProcess('cmd.exe /c ' + SystemStr + exe + ' ' + param + SystemStr, True, frmMain.FMameWindowState); // Win2000 and WinXP
     end;
     SetCurrentDir(ExtractFilePath(ParamStr(0)));
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:53:17 am by loadman »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
Re: MaLa beta 1.65 Beta Testers wanted
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2010, 09:52:12 pm »
Ok the one bug I've found (and this wasn't introduced with the new beta, I noticed it in the last full release) is when I have the mouse enabled and I select a game (using a joystick button, not sure if this matters) sometimes when I exit the game a different game is selected upon return to the front end.  Either one up or one down from the game I was playing.  Doesn't happen everytime but maybe 40% of the time. 
If I disable the mouse this issue goes away. 

I think I have fixed this for next release version

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2010, 10:53:57 pm »
What I think you are asking is:  If there are no video's found for a selected emu then default to the Mame videos. Is that right?
Correct.

I thought about this a bit more and a better way would be just set the mame video path for all the emu's you don't have videos for.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:57:37 pm by loadman »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
Re: MaLa beta 1.6 Beta Testing Closed
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2010, 12:18:15 am »
I've decided the beta testing is complete and this is worthy and stable enough for a full release.
It has been some time since a full release.

I will still consider / ponder your suggestions and comments.

I will lock this thread soon so after I do if you have further comments please start a new thread about it.

Thanks to all for past and future testing and reporting :-)   ;D

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: