Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Shelling and Background applications  (Read 2330 times)

jonbenderr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 07:29:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Shelling and Background applications
« on: June 29, 2017, 05:33:51 am »
So I've been looking into hiding windows (specifically XP) and was wondering how background applications might work out.

Currently I run Joytokey and wingun outside of my front end and I've had to use a startup delayer to ensure joytokey, then wingun and finally AtomicFE run in that specific order.  Otherwise if the first two applications launch after Atomic, it tends to cause problems and reverts back to windows from the front end and things just sort of get jacked up.

Thought it would be nice to run Atomic as a shell but am concerned as to whether or not I can have these background apps running without interfering with things during startup.

Any thoughts out there?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Shelling and Background applications
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 02:04:17 pm »
9 times out of 10 using a FE as a shell just isn't worth all the hassle.  Get yourself an all black theme for xp.... use tweaks to delete all icons on the desktop and you are good to go.  There really isn't any speed benefit to removing the gui and I'm not even sure that startup apps load.... at least not those simply dragged to the startup folder. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:19:09 pm »
Just turn on your machine 10 minutes before your guests arrive. Mission accomplished. No hassle.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:49:47 pm »
You can use any app as a shell. I would create an autohotkey app to launch those apps how you wish, and use the autohotkey app as a shell.

Windows XP is old and outdated. I'm using windows 10 1607 enterprise, have my front end as a shell. Computer was easy to make dead black until front end loads.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 02:35:25 pm »
Just turn on your machine 10 minutes before your guests arrive. Mission accomplished. No hassle.
:laugh2: