Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SEGA Hologram Technology (Hologram Time Traveler)  (Read 21745 times)

hondamate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2017, 12:10:20 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: SEGA Hologram Technology (Hologram Time Traveler)
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 12:38:16 am »
Hello All

Looking at re-invigorating this thread. Mainly because I've long pondered building a Time Traveler cab and many years ago built up some spare parts including the original LD (which still works), the controller PCB and also I have a Holusseum PCB.

Anyway, the biggest obsticle was making the mirror and recreating the visual effect. There are many myths about this from what I've been reading over the years.

1) It's not a Parabolic mirror. It's not really a mirror at all. It was a quarter segment concave curved dome, which was gloss black. This is why the cab needed such covering (like a theatre) because a mirror basically ruined the effect (it would have shown the Sony Trinitron TV it was being displayed on!). I have managed to make one of these:

2) The glass across the top isn't anything special in way of a lense. I think it's main purpose was to protect the dome from dust and also place those conceptial shapes (cube, sphere, etc) to help the eyes focus on the screen.

So basically, whilst I have lots of spare parts - most notibly the LD itself (which I'd like to rip to a high quality video to get the original outlay, instead of the doctored DVD version). I wondered if anyone was still interested in Time Traveler and (to start with) actually had the exact measurements of the cabinet?

Where you able to find out the size of the mirror from corner to corner?

edshootemup

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 02:13:13 pm

hondamate

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2017, 12:10:20 am
Re: SEGA Hologram Technology (Hologram Time Traveler)
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2016, 12:22:30 am »
Is this accurate ?

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tech/images/TTMirrorInfo.jpg

Would be cool if he chimed in for us. But good find!! thanks for sharing that