Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Flipper coil EOS switch flashes green  (Read 5225 times)

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
Flipper coil EOS switch flashes green
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:35:32 pm »
I picked up a Game Plan Pinball Lizard on the cheap for my dad, since he was looking for a pinball to keep him busy. It is in working order (except for the two kickers I found to be not working, for which I suspect bad transistors), and overall good condition - in fact with a rubber kit, a few bulbs and some PF cleaning/waxing it should be in great condition.

But I happened to have the coin door open as I was testing out some of the PF switches and I noticed that the EOS switch on the right flipper flashes green (like a spark almost) when the coil energizes. Any ideas when this might be, or what I should do? The flipper seems to work fine otherwise. FYI I have not checked the voltages on the rectifier board yet, nor have I cleaned the switches. The only thing I have done was remove the high-score battery and replace it with an AA pack/blocking diode. There was no battery corrosion or damage, btw.

Also, the set of four drop targets in the center of the PF always seem to make the ball hit the glass on rebound. Is this normal, or is there something I should look for there also?

I checked the marvin3m site for Game Plan, and could not find anything on these two issues. Thanks in advance.

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
Re: Flipper coil EOS switch flashes green
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 06:05:53 pm »
EOS switches on games from that vintage normally spark!

It wasn't until Data East came out with their "Solid State" flipper system(1990) and Williams/Bally with fliptronics(1991) that EOS switches no longer sparked.
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:23:33 pm »
You're switching high current DC in that vintage of machine. Those switches are gonna spark like hell.

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 11:07:36 pm »
Cool. Thanks for the info. I guess I never saw a flipper switch in action before.

What about the ball hitting the glass on the drop-target rebound. Is that normal too?

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 11:10:36 pm »
Yes that's normal. You should see a Sharpshooter drop target bank make the ball hit the glass!

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 01:09:23 am »
Updating this old thread.

Old pinball machines did have end-of-stroke switches that sparked like crazy due to the high current being switched on and off. To reduce sparking or eliminate it altogether, install a 2.2 uf @ 250 volt yellow axial mylar capacitor across the E.O.S. switch terminals.

Williams part # 5045-12098-00 Capacitor, 2.2 uf @ 250 volts Axial

Stocked at most pinball parts suppliers.

ed12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 01:20:19 am »
ya gottileb had that mod to starting with  >>system 3<<

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.