Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Opti-Gun Adaptor - Says Works With Mame!  (Read 23384 times)

Spaced Ace

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2010, 05:48:56 pm
  • "I'm surrounded by arcades!"
Re: Opti-Gun Adaptor - Says Works With Mame!
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2008, 07:34:44 pm »
Well, I would wait a year, at least before buying one of these.  Going to be some bugs despite how much testing they do.  I wouldnt buy one until Randy, Andy or Happ review it. 

It would be awesome though, finally something that can make those cool games like T2 & Area 51 work the right way. 

Nothing against Act Labs, but the quality is very low, the older guns feel like plastic toys in the Dollar General toy isle.

Spaced Ace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2008, 07:42:52 pm »
Oh and someone here within the forums, would probably have to write a How-To guide for the rest of us, if possible.  I think since shooter games are very low key, most of us that use MAME, probably do not know much about light guns, what optical sensors work with what gun, what this thing works with,  :blah:

So, it looks like this will be something that will take a little time, maybe 6 months or so to really take hold.  But once it does, you all know, there are going to be a shizzle load of T2, Area 51 & Revolution X projects going on....

erictrumpet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2016, 11:59:23 am
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2008, 07:54:47 pm »
yeah and some other real basic questions like will a light gun work on a CRT that is tilted back 30 degrees and behind tinted glass etc.
Maybe light guns are more trouble than they are worth. The games contribute to violent tendencies in our children anyway, right? Isn't that what Tipper Gore taught us? :)

Eric.

TPB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 09:12:52 pm
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2008, 11:40:18 pm »

The games contribute to violent tendencies in our children anyway, right?

wbasset is a prime example of that ... you should see his gun collection.

Even his toy guns are frightening ... I shudder to think about the real ones in his collection.    ;)

On a serious note, I had a healthy diet of Clint Eastwood, Sly Stallone, and Arnie moves in my teenage years, and it didn't turn me into a gun-toting freak.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 11:49:53 pm by TPB »

erictrumpet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2016, 11:59:23 am
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2008, 11:53:04 pm »
I had a healthy diet of Clint Eastwood, Sly Stallone, and Arnie moves in my teenage years, and it didn't turn me into a gun-toting freak.

Right, you're just a regular mild-mannered guy whose Internet identity is an avatar of a crazy dude with sticks of dynamite strapped to his head. :)

Eric.

Spaced Ace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2008, 12:32:51 am »
Someday, someone like FrizzleFried will buy one of these, go over it with a fine tooth come and let us whats up.  I'd just wait for that day.  If someone like Frizzle said it sucks or rocks, I'd take their word for it.

I'm not prepared to spend $600.00 on a single gun than another $400.00 on another...

wbassett

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2023, 04:34:49 am
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2008, 01:35:09 am »
Well, I would wait a year, at least before buying one of these.  Going to be some bugs despite how much testing they do.  I wouldnt buy one until Randy, Andy or Happ review it. 

It would be awesome though, finally something that can make those cool games like T2 & Area 51 work the right way. 

Nothing against Act Labs, but the quality is very low, the older guns feel like plastic toys in the Dollar General toy isle.
Actually I mentioned early on in the thread that Happcontrols has one right now that they are testing and when they are done they said they'd release one to me for a review.

Seeing this is targeting the actual arcade market and it just happens to connect to a computer (which means we can use it too), I would think there wouldn't be that many if any bugs with it.  It has to be solid or vendors won't buy it.

Also we're not talking $600 for a single gun unless you go all out and buy a brand new recoil gun.  A regular gun is only around $60 plus shipping.

Spaced Ace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 02:25:27 am »

Actually I mentioned early on in the thread that Happcontrols has one right now that they are testing and when they are done they said they'd release one to me for a review.

Seeing this is targeting the actual arcade market and it just happens to connect to a computer (which means we can use it too), I would think there wouldn't be that many if any bugs with it.  It has to be solid or vendors won't buy it.

Also we're not talking $600 for a single gun unless you go all out and buy a brand new recoil gun.  A regular gun is only around $60 plus shipping.

Yes, over inflated on 600 bucks, but it would still be close.  wbasset, anyway you could share some links of a few places that offer optic-guns that arent Happ?  I would love to get 2 Ghost Squad guns.  Personally, I would have to wait for someone like you to make a "Idiots guide to optical guns" before thinking about this one. 

But I hope it all works out..... 

You the man, you the man....

mlalena

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2021, 12:31:44 pm
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2009, 05:21:52 pm »
6 months later. Has anyone tried the OptiGun / Sonic Gun System?

metahacker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 03:09:39 am
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 05:40:19 pm »
6 months later. Has anyone tried the OptiGun / Sonic Gun System?

well, i guess its almost a year and a half later now -- anyone have anything to report? 

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 02:52:55 pm »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=97845.0

Not the same project... but the same company.  I'd say you may want to stop holding your breath... especially since Ultimarc's AimTrac hit the scene and seems to do a pretty serviceable job.   I'm waiting for Ultimarc to release a complete package myself...
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Deadly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2021, 02:55:25 am
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2010, 12:56:26 pm »
I'd like to know if the optigun was worth a cleaveland steamer? I'd easily drop the money if I knew this was a drop in and works for everyone solution.
The Aimtrak is cheap "price" and that's super good news. But I want something that works with everyone that uses it. When I throw parties I don't want to be bothered by every kid every 10 minutes that plays house of the dead complaining their shots are "off" because they either stand at a different place or they are shorter. Absolutely nothing but love and respect to Andy but watching the calibration videos on youtube and showing how far off the calibration gets by changing height or place ...... well I'm afraid that sadly ruins it for me for my uses/needs.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:07:46 pm by Deadly »

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2010, 01:11:23 pm »
The Aimtrak has improved immensely thanks to the latest firmware and software updates.

Deadly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2021, 02:55:25 am
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2010, 01:54:10 pm »
The Aimtrak has improved immensely thanks to the latest firmware and software updates.

Anyone have a video they can put up? I'd like to see just how much improvement was made. Not to offend anyone but seeing is believing. In fact I'm suprised Andy doesn't have a demo linky.

Also - does the Aimtraks eliminate the on screen flashing?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:59:06 pm by Deadly »

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2010, 02:14:36 pm »
The aimtrak doesn't use the screen to detect aim position and as such, you don't need to use the screen flashing.  If the game is programmed to use it, then that's a different matter.

peterpepper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2010, 03:49:36 am
  • Lightguns! What else?
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2010, 04:54:29 pm »
...so has somebody tested the nanotech opti-gun (or opti-gun lite) interface in the end? Has Dave of Nanotech disappeared? :'(

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2010, 05:16:19 pm »
...so has somebody tested the nanotech opti-gun (or opti-gun lite) interface in the end? Has Dave of Nanotech disappeared? :'(
The last I read, someone had ordered it but it was never delivered.  That was on another forum.  I've yet to hear anyone say that they've ordered AND received it.

Yes, Dave has disappeared.  Perhaps he's been incarcerated already.   :w00t

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2020, 12:02:36 am
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011, 01:20:17 pm »
not to hash up a dead topic since the aimtrak is doing so well....

I bought a similar piece of hardware off ebay... USB2GUN.  It's a board that's used in the America's Army arcade cab and obviously uses arcade guns.

My cab has a happ type2(4 pin) gun attached using the USB2GUN & a NEC XM2950 crt and it work great!  I am so excited!  So for $49, I got a complete arcade gun setup. ($15 shipped for USB2GUN & $34 shipped for the happ gun)

If you want to use a real arcade gun on your arcade crt, hunt one of these down!

FWIW, I got the Jamma version...they have a non jamma verion as well.  But, you don't need to hook it up to the jamma harness at all if you don't want to. The usb cable reads the trigger and other buttons that you can install from the molex connectors.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:26:05 pm by dmarcum99 »

Siris

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2023, 09:13:08 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2011, 09:05:05 pm »
I'm curious as to how exactly you calibrate your guns with that card? I see that America's Army is a linux based game, Is there a windows based util. to use with that card?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:08:24 pm by Siris »

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 12:22:20 am »
Is the usb2gun not made by globalvr as well?

http://service.globalvr.com/troubleshooting/aa.html

Seems like the same thing as the one in the OP if not perhaps a stripped version.

brad808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2023, 08:18:15 pm
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2011, 06:53:03 am »
I'm curious as to how exactly you calibrate your guns with that card? I see that America's Army is a linux based game, Is there a windows based util. to use with that card?

I'm really curious about this as well I saw those on ebay but poster said he didn't know if they were compatible with windows so I passed on it. If they do work with windows I'd jump on it because I already have two guns sitting around here it would be a nice cheap fix.

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2020, 12:02:36 am
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2011, 12:33:03 pm »
I'll have to check my mame config when I get home, but in WinXP, it's recognized right away and you can go into the game controller section (in windows control panel) and calibrate it.  The + moves with the gun like you're calibrating a joystick.

I'll post my config when I get a chance...right now it's in my cab and my mobo died suddenly.  Maybe I can move the board/gun to another pc with a crt vga monitor......

Siris

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2023, 09:13:08 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2011, 03:27:46 am »
bkenobi: Yes it does appear that the usb2gun is actually the optigun, besides the obvious similarities and the fact that Foley sold out to Global VR if you look closely at both boards they both are made by Spud Logic.

Also when dmarcum99 mentioned that it moves the + in windows controller setup just like a joystick, that is exactly how the Optigun was advertised to operate.
From the Optigun User Guide found here:

http://nanotechent.s3.amazonaws.com/support/OptiGun-User-Guide.pdf

"The Optigun adapter ia a USB HID device and requires no special software or drivers to operate. Each Gun shows up as a Microsoft 16 Button Joystick. The X,Y coordinates of the GUN aim is returned as the X,Y value of the joystick. The inputs are mapped to the joystick buttons.

If anyone knows where to get one of these besides from Global VR I would love to know!

glstar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 04:32:33 pm
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 03:04:28 am »
Someone got news about this??
Seems really interesting....

lodoss118

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2023, 12:18:30 pm
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 06:36:33 am »
I am thinking getting this board from globalvr quite expensive, what is the best arcade optic gun with recoil should i get? I am also in the uk?

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2011, 11:10:55 am »
I could be wrong since I haven't used this board or an AimTrak, but I think the majority of people would suggest going with an AimTrak setup over this board (at retail price anyway).  The OP bought this board on the cheap and already had arcade light guns.  Without that combination, I don't think this path would be that cost effective since you'd likely spend over $300 for a dual setup.  Compare that to the AimTrak (which works with any monitor) at ~$200.

Now on the other hand, if I could find this board for cheap, I'd jump on it and watch for some cheap guns...