Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Smash T.V. restoration  (Read 3317 times)

MyCatSucks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2023, 03:57:15 pm
Smash T.V. restoration
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:14:33 pm »
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Smash TV 25" version 5.00. (AWESOME!) The cabinet is in good condition and it plays well. The main problem is the sound. It plays the sound effects, but the music and announcer keep cutting out. Can anyone direct me on how to go about fixing this. Please keep in mind this is new to me and this is my first cabinet. I am not familiar with arcade jamma boards, etc. but I am willing to learn!

My other question, is there a way to upgrade to version 8.00?

The guy who sold it to me mentioned something about mailing the board back to the manufacturer and they will send me a new one for a fee. If that is possible maybe it can solve all of my problems. Anyone know about this?

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re: Smash T.V. restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:01:43 pm »
The guy who sold it to me mentioned something about mailing the board back to the manufacturer and they will send me a new one for a fee. If that is possible maybe it can solve all of my problems. Anyone know about this?
Highly doubtful. The original manufacturer no longer exists as it once was, and I have never heard of the new "merged" company supporting any old arcade merchandise like that. (Although you never know).

People here will be able to help you...
NO MORE!!

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 02:33:08 pm »
5.00 to 8.00 is a simple ROM upgrade.
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

MyCatSucks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2023, 03:57:15 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:41:38 am »
5.00 to 8.00 is a simple ROM upgrade.

Actually, I just found that I can buy one for $15 from HobbyRom (http://www.hobbyroms.com/videogames.html)

And any ideas where i should be looking regarding fixing the sound?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:06:23 pm by MyCatSucks »

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 07:18:37 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 12:26:07 pm »
you can start be finding the sound pcb or section of the pcb that does handle the sound.
(pull the manual and start looking over the schematics) 

then do a good visual inspection of the pcb or area, check all chips that are in sockets (look for chips that are not seated all the way)   you might end up pulling them and checking the legs for crap. (and sockets)

you can try google as well, just start looking for people who have had this problem.....

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 11:46:21 pm »
I have a Smash TV machine.  I can always test your sound board with mine to narrow it down if all else fails.  If you take some pics that would help too.  It's possible a wire connection is not connected right.  The sound on Smash TV boards requires the -5v power source connected.

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment: