Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: replace cab laminate?  (Read 3235 times)

nebrunner

• Trade Count: (0)
replace cab laminate?
« on: June 25, 2002, 09:12:46 am »
I have a newer cabinet which is particle board or mdf covered with a very thin blue laminate material.  It has a shiny surface and looks great but it is scuffed pretty badly on the front, probably from people kicking the front panel while it was in an arcade.

I would like to fix this but I am not sure what the best thing to do is.  I doubt paint would stick to the laminate and it would probably look bad.  Anybody have any specific materials or perhaps a link to a company that sells the same laminate that is on there now?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

mrC

Re: replace cab laminate?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2002, 11:36:47 pm »
I'm not sure what kind of laminate you actually have on there now, but WilsonArt is a great place to start...

http://www.wilsonart.com/MesaGold/Sections/Products/laminates/productviewer/ProductViewerset.html

mrC

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2002, 11:48:18 pm »
Also, forgot to mention you can order FREE samples to see if it matches or not.

good luck.
mrC

nebrunner

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2002, 10:23:54 am »
Wow, nice link.  Thanks a lot, this stuff looks good.  Is it difficult to apply?

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2002, 04:25:08 pm »
I haven't done it myself yet, just invesitgating for my own "upcoming" cabinet plans...but from what I hear it isn't hard at all.

I am IN NO WAY inclined to working with this sort of stuff, so I would give you the same advice I gathered when working on anything you're unfamiliar or uncomfortable with....

"Get the proper tools..cheap-out here and increase the stress later!"

Make a trip to your local home improvement store and inquire about the best methodology or maybe someone here can recommend those little bits n' bobs that'll make the application/finishing THAT MUCH EASIER.