Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NEw Mini-Bartop Touchscreen project  (Read 27767 times)

TalkingBull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2020, 12:38:05 pm
    • TalkingBull Games
NEw Mini-Bartop Touchscreen project
« on: July 02, 2008, 02:31:07 am »
I am almost ready to begin construction of my touchscreen system.  I should be receiving the touchscreen ($100 on eBay) and will be building the cab based off the dimensions of the monitor.  I will post my progress as I go along.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
Re: NEw Mini-Bartop Touchscreen project
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 09:39:03 am »
Any plans you can post?

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:53:31 am »
I think he's talking bull.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:59:23 pm »
I think he's talking bull.

I always talk bull... but not this time!

I don't have plans yet... it's all in my head.  Still working out the dimensions and awaiting the monitor to get started so I can finalize the dimensions and cut come wood.

Project basics: I am building a very small footprint bartop with a 15" touchscreen primarily to play simple mouse-click games like Bejeweled and the like.  I bought a Logitech DiNovo Mini which I plan on incorporating into the design.  I already have a good 700 games on a HDD for the system and the computer is standing by.  Basically, I just need to fabricate the case.  I will take pix as I do it and post plans as I make them.  Any suggestions or advice are always appreciated... like, what is the best way to craft a bezel from wood?  I am thinking to cut out the appropriate screen size and route the edges to 45 degrees... something like that.  I have never done that before though and I don't want to waste too much wood on this thing.

briktop11b

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2009, 12:19:33 am
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 11:01:24 pm »
I you are getting the decased touchscreen like i got its not to hard to make a bezel out of wood. I made one for my jukebox and it was a snap. Basically around the edge of the screen it steps down about a quarter inch. The screw brackets on the screen extend about 1/2 to 3/4 (i think). So what i did was cut the hole the size of the viewable area of the screen. Then on the inside of the bezel use a hinge mortising bit and route around the edge of the hole, the depth of the step i was talking about. If you take your time and your measurements are precise you should be able to set your screen in the routed edge and then use small screws to hold it in place. This may be confusing but once you receive the screen you will understand what I'm talking about. Just make sure you don't fit it so the wood is up against the screen as this may cause unwanted pressure around the edge of the touchscreen.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:44:56 pm »
I you are getting the decased touchscreen like i got its not to hard to make a bezel out of wood. I made one for my jukebox and it was a snap. Basically around the edge of the screen it steps down about a quarter inch. The screw brackets on the screen extend about 1/2 to 3/4 (i think). So what i did was cut the hole the size of the viewable area of the screen. Then on the inside of the bezel use a hinge mortising bit and route around the edge of the hole, the depth of the step i was talking about. If you take your time and your measurements are precise you should be able to set your screen in the routed edge and then use small screws to hold it in place. This may be confusing but once you receive the screen you will understand what I'm talking about. Just make sure you don't fit it so the wood is up against the screen as this may cause unwanted pressure around the edge of the touchscreen.

I'm not sure what you mean by deceased touchscreen.  I got one of the ELO 15" screens that folks have been talking about on the forum.  If that's what you are talking about, can you give me the dimensions you used for the bezel?  That's all I need to get the project started.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 01:52:02 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by deceased touchscreen. 

What a difference an "e" can make...

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 02:44:00 am »
... now I feel like an idiot!  DUH!!!

Thanks for the revelation ;)

And seeing your avatar, go buy The Beast With a Billion Backs!  The more DVDs they sell, the more likely it is that they will renew the show!

briktop11b

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 10:26:10 am »
I cant remember the dimensions, and itsactually mounted in the jukebox and i really cant measure it accurately and its thekind of the you want measured accurately. What you can do is go ahead and get your wood square for the bezel and make it big enough for a 15" screen plus about 2" extra and youshould be able to start work on the rest of your bartop. I would allow 2-3" for depth of the screen. Or you can just wait and do it the safe way and probably make a smaller bartop in the end with more precise measurements. I hate cutting and planning until i have the components of the cabinet in my possesion.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 05:16:26 pm »
I got my touchscreen today and went out to the garage to have some fun.  I am not entirely new to cabs but I haven't actually built one before.  I have a Mameroom.com Ulatimate Arcade II and Wall Mounted Jukebox so this is the first time I have taken the time to cut wood myself.  This is mostly trial and error for me and I expect to screw this up at least once.  Anyways, I attached some pix of what I did today.  I cut the sides and bottom which I attached.  I also cut two 2x2 to hold the monitor against the sides which I will mount tomorrow when I go out and get some more wood.  I don't think this project will take a very long time but who knows...

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 08:35:16 pm »
Well I got a little anxious and before heading out to work, I decided to do the bezel.  Of course, I screwed it up.  My jigsaw blade must have bent while I was cutting out the rectangle and now it is all wobbly looking.  Is there a method to fix something like this or do I need to start this piece over?  Also, what is the best way to get a beveled edge on this thing?  I am thinking a 45 degree outward angle so the monitor isn't all boxed in.  Is there a way to do this with a router?  I am inexperienced so tips help!

Attached are the pics from the Bezel mishap.

nuka1195

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2020, 08:47:25 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 11:37:16 pm »
you can run a router with a straight edge around it.

i'm doing a bartop now with a touchscreen. i'm going to make the frame as you would a cabinet door, with rails and stiles. it can be done with one piece but it will be easier this way.

the routed part is complex. i'd like to hear how others have done it.

Image host

briktop11b

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 12:23:18 am »
Im asumnig you are talking about the edge on the outside part of the bezel, around the screen. I would just use a round over bit for a smooth round edge.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 09:32:10 pm »
Today I spent a good 4 or 5 hours finishing up the cab.  I messed up a good portion of it and am hoing that the wood filler I smeared all over it will redeem me in the end!  The biggest thing I screwed up was the bezel (Gig surprise) and I ended up doing that with a chisel.  Anyways, here are some pix from the work I did.

tk375

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2008, 01:52:18 pm
  • Know what is right and wrong.
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 04:09:48 pm »
I't looking good man! have you choose any theme or color for the T-molding?

TK 375
TK375 Why aren't you at your post? "He is building an arcade sir."

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 09:30:52 pm »
I't looking good man! have you choose any theme or color for the T-molding?

TK 375

I am actually not putting a theme or T-Modling on this one.  I want to make it kind of blend into the background (To apease the wife).  As for the T-Molding, I was going to put some black on it but when I got to sanding the edge of the wood, it came out really nice and smooth and I think I will just keep it that way.

Today, I filled the mistakes with wood filler.  Then I sanded it and did some repair work on the bezel that I messed up.  Then I put two coats of primer on it.  After all that, I realized that I didn't put a power switch of any kind on the outside of the cab so I drilled a hole which split the wood.  No worries, I filled it and will finish the sanding and priming and painting tomorrow night.  Here are the pix from today:

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:42:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 04:31:37 am »

very nice  :)  i like that it is quite 'svelte'. it isn't bulkier than it need be. what kind of wood are you using? the fact that the wood itself isn't really thick adds to its look i think.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 04:40:28 am »
I am using a cabinet-grade Aspen Pine that I got from Lowes.  Normally, I would go with something like 3/4" MDF in 4' x 8' sheets but I didn't need nearly that much and had no place to store it.  This wood is actually pretty nice and smooth... easy to work with.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:42:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 07:53:35 am »
I am using a cabinet-grade Aspen Pine that I got from Lowes.  Normally, I would go with something like 3/4" MDF in 4' x 8' sheets but I didn't need nearly that much and had no place to store it.  This wood is actually pretty nice and smooth... easy to work with.

ha! thats funny. its actually as thick as i was thinking it wasnt! an optical illusion i guess. looks good none the less (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 07:51:40 pm »
Today I applied the third coat of latex primer and began painting it.  I have applied 2 coats of black and will apply one last coat before I install the monitor and the PC components.  When my smartstrip from BITS comes tomorrow, I should be done!

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 12:09:03 am »
I am nearly done with this thing.  I finished up the painting and installed the Monitor and PC Components.  I still need the Smart Strip but can at least get it ready until that arrives.  I have attached pictures of the installed components as well as the mini keyboard for the front.  When I get Vista installed and some games going, I will post later tonight.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 05:15:58 am »
Got it all up and running.  I am using GameEx as the front end and have so far installed about 300 games which work well with the touchscreen interface.  Here are some pix of the machine in action.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 08:25:21 am »
according to the pictures, you finished it last year.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 11:40:55 am »
That's the camera I took to Iraq and the date would also suggest I built it in Baghdad ;)  It has so much dust in it, it is somewhat messed up.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 01:18:42 am »
Can you give me a few more details on the games you installed on it? I dont think I've ever seen that Crystal Path before.
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 01:20:15 am »
I put most if not all of the PopHouse and GameHouse games on it.  I don't have a list but I can work on one.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 01:22:59 am »
If that wouldn't be too much trouble I'd appreciate it. Are those mostly puzzlers? I'll go and check them out.....
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 01:28:37 am »
A lot of them are like bejeweled... you have to align like-items to have them drop off.  We play Bookworm and Bookworm adventures the most... that and Windows Solitaire which works very well on a touchscreen.

Today, I installed an Xbox 360 controller and installed all the NES, GBA, SMS, GEN, T16, N64, A2600, & LYNX games and began playing those.   But it is primarily a touchscreen system.

jholman76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2015, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 03:57:03 pm »
I would also be most interested in the games and where one can get them or search for. I have a 17" touchscreen that is begging for a project like this.

I'm also interested in bartop games like I see in bars today. "find the differences" in photos, smack the penguin, cards, stuff like that. A buddy of mine and I like to do the differences games.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 01:09:36 am »
I keep forgetting to put together a full list.  I have only about 80 games on it at the moment but I had downloaded a good 600 that I haven't bothered to install.  My family and I pretty much just play a few games on it so I don't mess with much but here is a list of some of the games that really work well on the touchscreen:

You can Google these but most of them are from Yahoo's game site and are either GameHouse or PopCap games

Bejeweled
Bejeweled 2
Bewitched
Around The World In 80 Days
Windows Solitaire
Bookworm
Bookworm Adventures (We play this the most)
Chuzzle
Gearz
Gearz 2
The Incredible Machine
Crazy Machines
Text Twist
Any Mahjong Game... I have about 10 on there
Any poker or card game.

Initially, I wanted to build a Merit Megatouch but I didn't want to pay for the hard drive or any of that such nonsense which is difficult to change.  The games I have listed are very inexpensive to register and are easy to get and update.  Using GameEx as a front end is also very easy when adding stuff and Tom Spiers (The guy who writes GameEx) recently updated for touchscreen support.  I will try to get that full list on here soon... I just keep forgetting... in truth, any game that doesn't require a right-click to play it works very well.  I installed a Logitech DiNovo Mini on both machines because it is small and sleek but also for games like Bejeweled that require a name to play them.  It works well but I don't use it to play any games... I could though... but I prefer to use only the touchscreen for gaming.

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 01:11:05 am »
I did find one "Find the Difference" game that someone wrote and made as shareware but I didn't really like it.  If anyone finds a good one, I would like it very much!

I did get a good puzzle game that uses Nickelodean images.  My daughter loves it!  That's a lot of fun.

AngryCanadian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2011, 09:34:24 pm
  • It's not a CUBAN.
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 11:16:56 pm »
Please post your game list when you get a chance...I am also about to build a bar-top touch screen system and would like to start getting some good touch screen games together.

thanks
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people...I prefer to discuss Arcade Cabinets!

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 01:12:43 am »
Ditto.

I was thinking we could get a good touch screen games list together and get it stickied and/or put it in the Wiki.

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 01:20:35 pm
  • Head Brewer and Arcade Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 04:44:05 pm »
i know this thread is old, but i am gonna start a new mini project and would love to get some more info... OP if you will, can you post some more pics of the project?

thanx

camper
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Click below to see my PinCab - PinWARS
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164660.0.html

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 04:46:02 pm »
I don't know that I have any more pics... is there something specific you would like me to take a photo of?  I don't usually work from plans, just measurements and stuff I sight...

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 05:04:53 pm »
hey there...

Well... I guess I dont need pics, but u are running GameEX... Do all the games work under ONE menu... for instance the popcap games and mame games...  Do you have to run Game EX for the mame games and thenexit out... etc... 

I use HS now for my arcade.  Would love a video or something of it in action, just to see.

Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 05:16:42 pm »
I actually posted a video of this machine on YouTube a while back ().  As for the frontend, I run strictly GameEx and it handles all of the games.  I don't play MAME on it at all but I have about 1000 or so games on it for the built-in screensaver which GameEx provides.  For the PC games, I run them in GameEx as an emulator and for the file-types, I do *.lnk which is the Windows shortcut extension.  So all I have to do is install a game in Windows, create a shortcut and drop that shortcut into the games directory I have designated for GameEx... then just put a screenshot in the screenshot directory I have chosen... it all runs very smoothly and I had to sit and think about it for a minute since I haven't messed with it for a while and I am out of town at the moment... runs really well.  GameEx is a phenomenal program and it has great touchscreen support (Which Tom implemented after seeing my video ;)

If I were to have set mine up to run MAME and other emulators, I would not have designed it the same... for instance, I only have a bluetooth keyboard/mouse for a controller (other than the touchscreen) and nothing to play a MAME game...  I suppose I could use a wireless gamepad but I prefer a control panel with the traditional input devices.  The reason I built this was to fill a specific need.  I already have a full-size arcade cabinet but wanted to create something that would be good for the simple PC/Net games (Bejeweled was the real impetus for this thing and Bejeweled 3 works exceptionally well) for my wife.  She doesn't play it very often but when we have people over, there is always someone who sits on it all night trying to beat my high score!

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 05:29:35 pm »
NICE...  exactly what i needed.  looks perfect...  Did you ever find any "find the difference photos" games or anything like that...  shoot... you are right... bejeweled would be enough for anyone to sit there for hours...

And I am glad you said that about mame...  I already have an arcade as well, so I guess I could just concentrate on the other games...  I already have the computer and wood...  so the touchscreen is all i need.